PDA

View Full Version : What to do? So many choices.

ride1226
04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I used to own an old proboat shockwave 26 ep and let me tell you it wasn't really that much fun. Pretty poorly built, but it was a while ago. Never lived too close to anywhere to run either so I just let it go. Now after moving to cali I am surrounded by three lakes and a itch to try out an FE boat. there are so many choices however, and many different opinions. First ill start by telling you that its usually pretty breezy here so if I were to guess if it isn't flat there are probably little one to two inch ripples on the lake. I know that vee hulls are pretty versatile but ithey really don't interest me. I like cats and hydros a lot. I have never been impressed with anything that is RTR so I'm not sure if I want a RTR kit or not. The only two that interest me are the proboat blackjack and the aquacraft ul-1. As for hulls I am lost. I would love to build a vac-u-pickle since I think it looks amazing in build quality and looks, but don't know where to begin to complete it. I also like the mean machine cattamaran quite a bit. I would alos consider buying one off of someone here if anyone knows of any good setups for sale. Basically any help and info would be great from you experienced guys. Thanks all!

Blackjack-sven
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I am far from being the experienced guy here, but I must say that the proboat 26 bl is a fast boat for an rtr. You can see for yourself here....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bxOv1czLbk&feature=channel_page
This by far (from what I understand) a real FE boat. I'm guessing that the mean machine or a converted TC31 would be a great hull for a FE boat. Whatever you do don't take my word for anything as I love the cat hulls for their stability in the rougher stuff and speed as well, but I guess I haven't really seen what a true FE Cat hull goes like.

ride1226
04-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I do like the blackjack but I always lean towards building a boat myself. I know that when they are built they have to skimp somewhere in order to keep the cost down. I am falling in love with the Vac-U-Pickle more and more every time I look at it. In one of their videos it looks like the same amount of chop as my lake gets and it handles it fine, and it was going plenty fast on a 8xl. My question is how do I complete the hull? What hardware is needed?

Doug Smock
04-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi Chris welcome to OSE.

The Vac-U-Pickle is a pretty straight forward build if you decide to go that way.
Did you see this when you were checking them out?

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/PickleSmockBuildPage.htm

Doug :popcorn2:

ride1226
04-01-2009, 08:41 PM
No i didnt see that while I was browsing. Thanks for that link. Im not too sure however if Im good enough to complete the hardware installation. I can do electronics no problem at all but when it comes to drilling into a hull if I screw up its done for.

Thanks for the warm welcome and Im glad I found OSE. Gotta do my research before I plunge into anything.

highndry
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
The Vac-U-Pic instructions are the most comprehensive and well thought-out I have seen. If you chose to go that route, follow their instructions to the letter and the boat will run great off the bench.

Doug Smock
04-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and Im glad I found OSE. Gotta do my research before I plunge into anything.

No pressure mate!!:thumbup1:

Doug:beerchug:

ride1226
04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Is there any reputable boat builders on here? I am scared beyond belief to screw up a 100 dollar hull, but once all the hardware is installed by a more knowledgable person I could definitly do the whole electric part. I really am falling for the vac-u-pickle. Just need to sell my trex 450, gaui 550, and my classic army airsoft gun. In all actuality I dont have to sell them, but itd help :) Thanks again guys.

SweetZ28
04-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I would give the super V27 a try seems to be a very good boat.

ride1226
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Seems to be a good boat for sure but like I said in the original post I'm really not into v's at all. It would have to be a pretty darn cool lookin v to even graze my attention haha. Sorry I'm just picky.

Blackjack-sven
04-01-2009, 10:51 PM
What about the Aeromarine Sprint Cat 40 from OSE?

Doug Smock
04-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Is there any reputable boat builders on here? I am scared beyond belief to screw up a 100 dollar hull, but once all the hardware is installed by a more knowledgable person I could definitly do the whole electric part. I really am falling for the vac-u-pickle. Just need to sell my trex 450, gaui 550, and my classic army airsoft gun. In all actuality I dont have to sell them, but itd help :) Thanks again guys.

I'll be glad to build it for you if you'd like, check out this thread.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=3686

Doug :tiphat:

ride1226
04-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Read through that thread and that was a pretty cool thing you guys had going on there. I dont know if I would ever need a boat that crazy though. I would like a mild setup that just handles really well and can keep in the water fairly easy.

D.Smock I will be sending you a PM shortly!

riverside4
04-02-2009, 02:03 AM
I'll be glad to build it for you if you'd like, check out this thread.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=3686

Doug :tiphat:

Man you sold me Sent you a pm. Man those boats looked great :bowdown:

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi Chris welcome to OSE.

The Vac-U-Pickle is a pretty straight forward build if you decide to go that way.
Did you see this when you were checking them out?

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/PickleSmockBuildPage.htm

Doug :popcorn2:

Doug, those are the best build instructions I have ever seen :tiphat:

Douggie

bustitup
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Doug, those are the best build instructions I have ever seen :tiphat:

Douggie

I agree very very nice step by step.....does the stuffing tube not get bent?......I dont see any bending envolved

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree very very nice step by step.....does the stuffing tube not get bent?......I dont see any bending envolved

Yes, you will have to bend the tube to align the drivetrain. A very simple procedure.

Douggie

ride1226
04-02-2009, 01:37 PM
What about the Aeromarine Sprint Cat 40 from OSE?

Seems like a really cool hull but it also looks pretty darn expensive. It also has an extra 10 inches over the vac-u-pickle which I would imagine make for a very nice and stable boat but pretty expensive to get powered up. Wouldnt know where to start to get it in the water. D.Smock I sent you a pm so hopefully we can talk about the vac-u-pickle and get something cool figured out.

Doug Smock
04-02-2009, 05:37 PM
All PMs answered