PDA

View Full Version : Can someone varify this email I recieved?

Steven Vaccaro
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Anyone with some extra time on their hands to checkout this email?

> I don't think we have anything but crooks in "ALL GOVERMENTS ALL
> OVER THE WORLD"
> The new president is going to have his hands full trying to work
> with this babe!
>
>
>
> Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi's home district includes San
> Francisco.
>
> Star-Kist Tuna's headquarters are in San Francisco, Pelosi's home
> district.
>
> Star-Kist is owned by Del Monte Foods and is a major contributor to
> Pelosi.
>
> Star-Kist is the major employer in American Samoa employing 75% of
> the Samoan work force.
>
> Paul Pelosi, Nancy's husband, owns $17 million
> dollars of Star-Kist stock.
>
> In January, 2007 when the minimum wage was increased from
> $5.15 to $7.25, Pelosi had American Samoa exempted from the
>
> increase so Del Monte would not have to pay the higher wage. This
> would make Del Monte products less expensive than their competition's.
>
> Last week when the huge bailout bill was passed, Pelosi added an
> earmark to the final bill adding $33 million dollars
>
> for an 'economic development credit in American Samoa'.
>
> Pelosi has called the Bush Administration "CORRUPT" ? ?
>
> How do you spell "HYPOCRISY" ?
>
>
> EVERY PERSON IN THE WORLD SHOULD GET THIS E-MAIL.
> Why do we not get media coverage of stories like this?

Bill-SOCAL
03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/pelosi/americansamoa.asp

BTW - it took less than 30 seconds to find the snopes info. This is what disturbs me, the willingness of people to pass along misinformation simply because they agree with it. This is not directed at you Steven, you asked for verification, but it is simply amazing to me how much crap I get in my in box that takes less than a minute to determine is BS. And yet it takes on a life of its own on the Internet. What is really amusing is how after a very short time one way it get "validated" is one person will post it, then another posts it and refers to the first person who posted it, the more it is posted and cross reference the more "true" it becomes. It really does validate the old idea that if you tell a lie long enough, it becomes the "truth".

ghostofpf1
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
hysteria.....Republican America's new growth industry :rockon2:

Steve

Darin Jordan
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I got that one too, from my brother, and did exactly what Bill did... so it ended up in my trash..

Too bad people are making things up, because there are PLENTY of real issues with this new administration to worry about. These spoof things just dillute the info... which likely means it's the Dem's putting them out in the first place to distract from the real issues... ;)

Flying Scotsman
03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
To be very honest have you ever met a politician that speaks the truth of their own beliefs and the consequences of their mantra. I can think of only one Winston Churchill, in modern times. Gandhi was # 2

Douggie

Darin Jordan
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/pelosi/americansamoa.asp

BTW - it took less than 30 seconds to find the snopes info. This is what disturbs me, the willingness of people to pass along misinformation simply because they agree with it. This is not directed at you Steven, you asked for verification, but it is simply amazing to me how much crap I get in my in box that takes less than a minute to determine is BS. And yet it takes on a life of its own on the Internet. What is really amusing is how after a very short time one way it get "validated" is one person will post it, then another posts it and refers to the first person who posted it, the more it is posted and cross reference the more "true" it becomes. It really does validate the old idea that if you tell a lie long enough, it becomes the "truth".

To be fair... however... the conclusion does say that it is "inconclusive" about several of the issues, and that there are loopholes in the current laws that would make much of this information hard to find, and conversely, easy to conceal...

In any case, it warrants further consideration and investigation to get to the truth of the matter...

Flying Scotsman
03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
The truth of the matter Darin, is misinformation on many political sites.:cursing:
I do not like information that has no credence to the story or issue

Douggie

Darin Jordan
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
The truth of the matter Darin, is misinformation on many political sites.:cursing:
I do not like information that has no credence to the story or issue

Douggie

Agree... All I'm saying is that this kind of stuff DOES get people asking the questions, and those of us so inclined will find the truth... Not many of us around, however...

Bill-SOCAL
03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
To be fair... however... the conclusion does say that it is "inconclusive" about several of the issues, and that there are loopholes in the current laws that would make much of this information hard to find, and conversely, easy to conceal...

In any case, it warrants further consideration and investigation to get to the truth of the matter...

True, but the substantiative portions are correct and more importantly the impression that the email want to foment is wrong. This is actually the worst kind of posting. Take a kernel of truth and turn it into a lie. She was the Speaker of the House when the legislation was drawn up. But she had nothing to do with it She did not request the variance, it was requested by the Samoan representative. It cannot be verified that her husband has stock in Starkist, and besides, Starkist is now owned by a Japanese company.

Like the deal with Pelosi and the plane she uses. Many on the right tried to slam her for choosing a big plane and yadda, yadda, yadda,. Except the thing is it is the Sergeant at Arms of the Congress that chooses the plane. So you take a fact, she flies in a larger plane, and turn it into a lie, she chose the plane and is a hypocrite.

Again, it is the systematic distortion of facts tied together into a story that in the whole is a lie, or at least the impression it tries to convey is a lie. And people will almost never take the time to research it for themselves as long as they agree with the point, lie or not.

Steven Vaccaro
03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks Bill.