PDA

View Full Version : Get the Feeling You're Being Watched? If You're Driving, You Just Might Be

RCprince
03-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Cameras to Catch Speeders and Scofflaws Are Spreading -- And Sparking Road Rage

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123811365190053401.html?mod=yhoofront

Only in a capitalistic society we farm out law enforcement to a third party for profit... lol

Doug Smock
03-27-2009, 03:03 PM
There were "Red light cameras" employed in several small cities around here until recently. They have been taken out of service do to the costs involved with using them.

Flying Scotsman
03-27-2009, 03:23 PM
As an aside, when I was young and knew everything. I approached a stop sign in Scotland on my motorcycle at the tender age of 16. I thought everything was cool till a cop on a bicycle, put up his hand up and commanded me to stop. He stated Laddie you did not come to a full stop and I will let you off with a warning. To this day, I do a full stop.

Douggie

Ub Hauled
03-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I kinda agree with the "red light blowover" cameras, but that's about it...
In Brazil they have what was nicknamed "Sparrows", they are the speed cameras...
people know where they are, race up o the point, control the speed, pass it and drive fast again.
The only thing it generated was a "bottle neck" effect... people go to a point where they cover their license plates, drive by the cameras, "moon" it and what can they do then? Absolutely nothing, it is a lot of money for "little" return.

Dr. Jet
03-28-2009, 09:50 AM
All this is, is another example of an ever increasingly intrusive government, looking for more ways to produce revenue. Or, put another way, looking for a way to separate the citizens from their money.

These cameras have nothing to do with safety, studies have proved that time, and time again. In San Diego, the camera installers "adjusted" the yellow light duration in an attemt to increase the number of red light runners. The camera manufacturers get a portion of the ticket money, so it was in their interest to shorten the yellow light duration. Never mind that the CalTrans Highway Design Manual (a common reference book in my library) has specific design criteria for yellow light duration based on speeds, sight distance, ADT (average daily traffic), and other factors.

When will the people wake up and realize your freedoms are being eroded away? The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is planning to introduce legislation to regulate the color of the car you drive in order to reduce global warming. My choice of something as innocous as the color of the car I drive will be based on junk science and an outright hoax, in some governmental agency's attempt to grab more power.

It's time for the Second American Revolution. Freedom and Liberty are more than just words.

RCprince
03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
All this is, is another example of an ever increasingly intrusive government, looking for more ways to produce revenue. Or, put another way, looking for a way to separate the citizens from their money.

These cameras have nothing to do with safety, studies have proved that time, and time again. In San Diego, the camera installers "adjusted" the yellow light duration in an attemt to increase the number of red light runners. The camera manufacturers get a portion of the ticket money, so it was in their interest to shorten the yellow light duration. Never mind that the CalTrans Highway Design Manual (a common reference book in my library) has specific design criteria for yellow light duration based on speeds, sight distance, ADT (average daily traffic), and other factors.

When will the people wake up and realize your freedoms are being eroded away? The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is planning to introduce legislation to regulate the color of the car you drive in order to reduce global warming. My choice of something as innocous as the color of the car I drive will be based on junk science and an outright hoax, in some governmental agency's attempt to grab more power.

It's time for the Second American Revolution. Freedom and Liberty are more than just words.

Dr.Jet Americans don't care about freedumb, But I bet they'll let you know who won or didn't win American Idol or what entertainer was on Dancing with the Stars. For crying out loud Americans have been taxed without proper representation for over 30 years and it feels "Good".

NorthernBoater
03-28-2009, 06:03 PM
They will be installing red light cameras here in Cedar Rapids. The first thing they mentioned on the news was how it would increase revenue for the city. Here is one guys way he found to thwart it in Germany.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1081607/Speeding-puppet-seat-British-car-makes-muppets-German-police.html

AndyKunz
03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Dr.Jet Americans don't care about freedumb, But I bet they'll let you know who won or didn't win American Idol or what entertainer was on Dancing with the Stars. For crying out loud Americans have been taxed without proper representation for over 30 years and it feels "Good".

Actually, it started about 1918.

Andy

Steven Vaccaro
03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Funny, Mitt Romney boasts how he didn't raise taxes during his term, but state fees doubled and tripled! :doh:

Jeff Wohlt
03-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Funny you mention this. I just read about a spray you put on your plates...can't see it but when a camera shoots a pic it is nothing but a bad reflection so they can't send you a tickee. Probably the same makers of the camera!

AndyKunz
03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Some states outlaw it - I know NJ does. They also will ticket you for tampering with the plate, for making it illegible, etc. Three tickets for a can of spray paint...

You're better to off going 4-wheeling and forgetting to wash down that part of your vehicle.

Andy

Dr. Jet
03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Countless reports say that wearing a crash helmet whist driving may prevent serious head injuries resulting from a crash. Maybe it's time to start wearing a full-face helmet with a mirrored visor.

"But Officer.... I just wear the helmet for SAFETY reasons..... and it even has a Department of Transportation sticker."