PDA

View Full Version : Replacement UL-1 arrived today....WTF?

VKGT
03-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Reference thread http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6675

Seriously... I get a damaged one, it takes over a month to get a replacement (FROM GREAT PLANES), now look at this one?!

It looks like maybe even the same one with "attempted" repairs or something? Tell me, is this what I'm supposed to expect for Aquacraft quality? Man oh man.... now what? Just deal with it? Am I being too picky here or what?

VKGT
03-24-2009, 09:28 PM
More..

Rumdog
03-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Wait till you run it a couple of times. The hull really starts breaking up! Great design, Shiity manufacturing. No quality control. Mine is a turd. Guess I've gotta eat it on this one huh?

alvinsmith75
03-24-2009, 09:38 PM
I feel sorry for you! You must have gotten the wrong RTR. Not ready to race, nor ready to run, maybe ready to repair.

H&MWill
03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Thats just insane! I would be sendin it back again. No your not being picky at all. You want what you pay for.

Capt. Crash
03-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Yip..send it back or get a refund.

Mine was not perfect but was nothing like that.

The hull is cracking in numerous places on mine now. Some of it was caused by me but the sponsons are flexing and causing cracks, the turn fin area has problems, a crack behind the sponson and the tunnel just behind the leading edge is insanely thin flexing and cracking. Mine is literally being held together with glue and clear packaging tape along the leading edge. I have hull leaks I can't even locate and have to use the drain plug after each run.

It's a shame because this boat has really grown on me. If AQ doesn't want to sell replacement hulls...I will be forced to move my hardware into the Vac-u- Pickle at 1/3 the cost of a new UL-1.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-Pickle.htm

sewerpit
03-25-2009, 08:22 AM
feel bad for you dude, i must have gotten one of the first batches cause mine looks almost perfect. reinforced the turn fin area thats about it, seams look perfect.......... BUT and one big BUT........ it hasnt been in the water yet! we will see

Rumdog
03-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Hmmm, i've been reading lots on the Vacu-Pickle. These hulls seem to be pretty damn nice! That hardware transfer is starting to sound really good! I'm getting tired of a new leak every time i run my Ul-1. How is the turn fin mount area on the Vacu-Pickle?

Capt. Crash
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Hmmm, i've been reading lots on the Vacu-Pickle. These hulls seem to be pretty damn nice! That hardware transfer is starting to sound really good! I'm getting tired of a new leak every time i run my Ul-1. How is the turn fin mount area on the Vacu-Pickle?

The pics show a 3/16" hot pressed mahogany ply bulkhead backing the sponsons there. You could probably get Phil to double it for ya or if you put the kit together, do whatever you want. My question is if you get the pre-assembled hull, how do you secure the hardware (fins,struts...etc) ...wood screws?

Yea...it looks real tempting. :thumbup1:

longballlumber
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
How is the turn fin mount area on the Vacu-Pickle?

I have one that I am putting together right now, and for some reason this area is flexing a little too much for my liking. I am going to try a different fin mount first. Hopfully a larger surface area on the sponson transom will help.

longballlumber
03-25-2009, 10:23 AM
My question is if you get the pre-assembled hull, how do you secure the hardware (fins,struts...etc) ...wood screws?

I am using #4 wood screws for the strut bracket and #6 wood screws for the Speedmaster rudder. For mounting these two, you can use thru holes and lock nuts if you prefer. However, mouting the turn fin will require wood screws.

Capt. Crash
03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
At least with the Vac-u-boat material you don't have to worry about cracks with a little flexing! :bounce:

Ub Hauled
03-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I have a Vac-u-pickle... she's great! Mine came assembled and wood screws on the sponsons are a good idea, on the hardware nut's n bolts will do or even blind nuts.
One think you'd have to do to get the top performance is "sharpen" the edges, that's all I did and she goes...
The fact that you got two pickles is bothersome.... try talking to Mike if you really want this hull otherwise return it, get a Vacu Pickle or even an Elam, that's what I'd do.

Doug Smock
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Guys use the Fullers standard strut bracket for the turn fin on the Vac- U-Pickle and you won't have any problems. See attached pics.
Another caution you want to consider is removing the brass shear screw in the rudder and replace it with a nylon screw or small wire tie.
I use #6 wood screws on all the hardware and haven't had any problems, I can't tell you how many of these I have built. Bunches!!!

Doug

Rumdog
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey Doug, do you think that the hardware from my Ul-1 would work well with this hull?

Doug Smock
03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey Doug, do you think that the hardware from my Ul-1 would work well with this hull?

I've only seen one up close and never really paid attention to the strut and rudder. You don't want to use the turn fin mount as it doesn't fit without modification and has a small footprint.
Can you post a pic of the transom and give me an idea how tall the rudder and strut brackets are?

Doug

Flying Scotsman
03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Personaly on the original question, where is Aquacraft on the quality issue that was not Mike/Grims problem. You pay, you expect a product that is well built....Aquacraft where are you. Sorry to be a grinch but Aquacraft and their parent company has to address some problems. We await their CEO's answer.

Rumdog, have you built a hull before? We can help, if you have not

Douggie the Good

egneg
03-25-2009, 05:59 PM
If you haven't noticed he was here quite a bit until problems cropped up. After all it is HIS boat (design) and I would think he gets a cut from the folks that sell it. Things have been very quiet on their part since then.

Flying Scotsman
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Agreed, but I think Aquacraft have to respond not Mike. They have built some very interesting boats with the worst QC. I have adopted every update prior to launching..turn fin...integral hull strength and so on. This is not a RTR boat but very cool. I think?

What no Piper :biggrin:

Douggie

egneg
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Agreed, but I think Aquacraft have to respond not Mike. They have built some very interesting boats with the worst QC. I have adopted every update prior to launching..turn fin...integral hull strength and so on. This is not a RTR boat but very cool. I think?

Douggie
Agreed ... it is a very nice design and fast! To date I have replaced the cooling jacket and reinforced the turn fin due to cracks - Darin's fix. But I have not run the boat enough to see if it will hold up over time. It seems from others experience that it doesn't and the boat has only been out 3 months.

Ub Hauled
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Agreed, but I think Aquacraft have to respond not Mike.

I am not saying Mike needs to answer to this issue... he may be of help making things happen with AQ... it's always better when you have an insider to get noticed outta the crowd.

Flying Scotsman
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Too true Jan, but the manufacturer has the last response.

Douggie

Bill-SOCAL
03-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Uh, there is no "Aquacraft" per se. Aquacraft is not a company, it is simply a brand that was created by Hobbico. Much like "Great Planes" it exists only on the ledger books of Hobbico.

Mike has the title of "Designer" for the Aquacraft brand. Then there is an Aquacraft "Brand Manager", but I do not know who ultimately is responsible for the oversight of the actual manufacturing process or in the review of claims within Hobbico.

Hobbico is a fairly large company with a very structured chain of command. But if nothing else, Mike can help make sure the people who do make the decisions are aware of what is going on.

Rumdog
03-25-2009, 07:51 PM
I have built a couple of scratch boats now. I've built a DF 26 mono, and a DF mini Vortex hydro. I had a sv27 for a while. I thought the build quality of that boat was pretty darn good for an rtr. So far the Ul-1 is definately not up to par. Aquacraft (on the phone) acted like they had not heard of any hull/esc issues at all. they did however state they are in the process of doing an upgrade water jacket. I've been into r/c for about 15 years now. Only about 2.5 years with FE boats, so I consider myself a noob still for sure. Everyone on this forum has been really helpful so far! That being said, I do know about Q.C. Aquacraft has major issues with theirs. Did they really think that the turn fin area needed no extra support? Do you really think that is how Grim built his prototypes?

Ub Hauled
03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Do you really think that is how Grim built his prototypes?

Yes, well, at least according to the people that mass produce it.
;)

VKGT
03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
I've been on and off with Pacific Coast Hobbies today (the company that I purchased this UL-1 from) and they insist that the issue is not with them -- I need to take it up with Great Planes. They say that they are helping but I haven't felt like it at all. It took a freaking month to get a replacement from Great Planes. They will NOT refund my money and insist that we'll be on bad terms if I dispute Paypal. Great.

Called GP today and talked to the distributor..The lady that I was supposed to talk to immediately transferred me to product support and I was on hold for over 20 minutes. I don't know guys.... I'm not getting the kind of customer service that I EXPECT and I'm not getting the kind of assistance that I expect from the hobby shop....

VKGT
03-25-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't have the kind of job that makes it easy for me to spend all day on the phone.. I have no access to my cell phone and very limited "outside" phone and internet access at work --- -the last thing I want is to spend days on the phone with these people when all they should do is inspect for a "good UL-1", send it to me and include a return label for the junk one... is that so hard?

Ub Hauled
03-26-2009, 12:15 AM
I feel your pain man... that is completely unprofessional... They should have an agreement with the local hobby shops to have this kinda exchange, it would make it a lot easier to everybody.

Flying Scotsman
03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Douggie, asking for a response.

Thank you for your recent email.
We do not reply to forum threads here at product support. However, I have passed your email and link on to Great Planes supervisors and management.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Thanks Again,
Lisa M.
Product Support Technician
PS9010
NO AUTORESPONDE

Please view this site and respond to the site with a comment from a senior Hobbico executive. Not Aquacraft

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=7046

Thank you

Doug Torrance/ Flying Scotsman

Grimracer
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Doug

Email me your phone number so i can call you.

grimracer@comcast.net

Thanks

Michael Zaborowski

Flying Scotsman
03-28-2009, 12:18 PM
E-mail sent and thank you for your offer. I look forward to talking with you next week.

Douggie

riverside4
03-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Just got one My girl got it for me for a early Bday present. Opened box and this is what i found bottom around strut is like a roller coaster and is con cave right before the strut. Sides are really messed up they go in and out and even hair under the decals . Also cracks around seems and it feels like a piece of paper is thicker in some spots.I don't know much about boats only started getting into them last year does anybody ever think this boat would be right I don't see how because it looks like it was squeezed to hard when it was put together. Sorry to jump in your thread if this is in the wrong spot please move to my own thread

Rumdog
03-29-2009, 10:17 AM
WOW!!! that one is really bad! I would send it back!

Jeff Wohlt
03-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Looks like QC is getting worse than better. I bet Great Planes is just sick about these. They must have a ton on the shelf to replace.

Might be worth a call to buy the junk hulls to rip the motors/EScs and radios from.

riverside4
03-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Yea i called and i have to pay shipping back and wait for them to get it back and give me credit so i can get another. Back to start and down 20 in shipping. Just cant believe know body looks at these before they go out that is sad.

Jeff Wohlt
03-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I would demand a full refund and then buy the parts and put them in the vacu pickel hull or one of Steve's other hydros and have a fast and stronger hull. If they are not damaged by the manufac then they will be after some runs....too much flex. I really hate to see this but was pretty sure it was going to happen. Epoxy hulls are different than these polyester/painted hulls.

Mike's design is not the problem. They (GP) should have had specs showing minimum hull thickness, etc. for production... a little more is better than a little less.

Pay for Shipping back...you already paid for shipping once.

bustitup
03-29-2009, 11:41 AM
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these....noway after reading all this bad news

thanks for the heads up guys

Jeff Wohlt
03-29-2009, 12:10 PM
They can't all be bad. Buy one from OSE and have Steven open it up and check it first for you. I'm sure if he finds any he will send them back as well and he is a dealer so he may have more leverage.

Flying Scotsman
03-29-2009, 01:32 PM
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these....noway after reading all this bad news

thanks for the heads up guys

The design is great the QC suspect, but please remember this an RTR boat and built to a price point, it is still a fun and fast hull and can be modified. A custom built boat would cost you $600 and up and you will still have to build it. Apart from that there are some serious issues that I will discuss with Grim when we talk.

Douggie

Rumdog
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
These boats should not be being sold right now. They should be pulled from the shelves. Imagine the guys walking into the hobby shop, with no boating experience. "Hmm rtr huh? All I gotta do is buy batteries and a charger? Sweet!" Now imagine their surprise when after the first run the hull has a half a gallon of water in it from a leaky water jacet and the hull is craked in the turn fin area. Great Planes is probably flooded with phone calls about these boats. They should be giving everyone who calls a full refund! How can they not?

Flying Scotsman
03-29-2009, 01:45 PM
That will be one of the points of discussion

Douggie

Grimracer
03-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Doug,

Just so you know and don’t have any extra expectations.

I would like to call you to see how you are doing with YOUR boat and I merely wanted to chat with you about the copy of Lisa’s mail that you placed on here.

Thanks

Grim

Flying Scotsman
03-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Mike, understood and thank you for making the effort. I look forward to the call.

Douggie

Doozie870
03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Ill step up.. have hobbico import the boats to me first, for a free inspection.

riverside4
03-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Well after being on the phone for over a hr with hobby services and tower hobbies i finally got tower to send return postage label. Hobby services was no help wanted me to pay shipping back said it was there policy when they got it they would credit or send another. At first they guy from hobby services said the UL1 was a great boat then i told him all the things that was wrong with mine and he replied you must have got one of the bad ones LOL. Well i think im done with Aquacraft until they get a grip on things.

Ub Hauled
03-31-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't think anyone can blame you for that....
best of luck, at let's hope that this major company (Hobbico) gets it's act together.

Doug Smock
03-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Incredible!!!!

highndry
03-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Speaking of Hobby Services.

I sent back the UL 1 esc. It ran on the bench, but not in the water. Hobby Services response was that the warranty was voided because I replaced the Deans with bullet connectors ( to match my batteries). They considered this an "alteration that voided the warranty".

Beautiful.

It is abundently clear to me that Tower, Aquacraft, whoever..has no interest in supporting their product.

Jeff Wohlt
03-31-2009, 03:23 PM
No, you always have to make it look factory again :)

Just about every ESC manuf says the same...as well as car ESCs, etc. Sounds stupid since the bullets are even better but they do not know the mechanics of it.

I have to say, I have not had problems with them in the past. On one car ESC when the Rev went out and it was 2 years old they sent me a new one and told me to keep the other old one. Pretty good as far as I am concerned.

This is a big issue for them with the boats since it is more than one part to replace....just think how many people are out there without a clue that bought them.

Sucks for Mike because he designed a good setup...I would be pissed if I were him and not at anyone but the manfact...especailly if hobbico gives him crap. Not his fault.

Ub Hauled
03-31-2009, 05:36 PM
I had one problem with a motor/ESC from them, sent it in and a week later had the replacements...
they looked a little beaten up, although here were no marks on the motor's shaft and the bullets were new on the ESC, but they were a bit... hmm... mistreated somehow, but they work.
This in now way is an excuse to what is going on on this thread.

alvinsmith75
03-31-2009, 06:25 PM

I sent back the UL 1 esc. It ran on the bench, but not in the water. Hobby Services response was that the warranty was voided because I replaced the Deans with bullet connectors ( to match my batteries). They considered this an "alteration that voided the warranty".

Beautiful.

It is abundently clear to me that Tower, Aquacraft, whoever..has no interest in supporting their product.

I get more and more pissed off at Aquacraft/Hobby services/whomever every day after being told that I was the only one who had an esc problem!:cursing:

Doozie870
03-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Where are the aquacraft ramrodders from the NW now? LMAO!! Hair under the stickers? Bad hull, bad jacket, bad esc, sure to be a classic..

skibo2
03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Want to really know what is wrong with the QC and the sloppy workmanship? Look right on the box for those wonderful three little words "MADE IN CHINA." Look at all the other problems in the past few months with other products coming out of that country. I doubt very much if Hobbico has any hand in the poor quality as I don't think they would risk their reputation, however, they had better get on the backs of the manufacturer and correct the problem. As for Hobby Services, I have had three warranty issues with them, an ESC, a flex shaft and a UL-1 replacement and they were great about it no problems at all. Yes, they will deny they are not aware of problems as that is what they are told to say, if they admitted to all the issues, no one would buy their products.

Doozie870
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Some rc products made in china are pretty good. Turnigy motors and esc's are an example.. Honestly aquacraft/grim raper/NW ramrod fools are no longer needed..

JimClark
03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Doozie if you think that aquacraft and the parent company are just sitting back and doing nothing about the problems with the boat you are very wrong. Just because they done reply to every post you make on OSE doesn't mean they are not working at repairing the issues.
They will have these issues resolved.
maybe it is you Smart Ass aditude that is not needed!
Jim Clark

Rumdog
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
True Jim, but when you call on the phone they WILL act ignorant of UL-1 issues. Besides the wwater jacket. They aren't being very helpful at all in dealing with replacement parts. Especially hulls.

JimClark
03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Not sure on the tech support have you tried to talk to supervisors?
I do know they are working on all the issues for sure

Jim

skibo2
03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
I feel sorry for all of us that have lost time and money over the UL-1 QC issue but if you really want to feel sorry for people taken to the cleaners over Chinese produced inferior products you should hear what has happened here in Florida with Chinese made dry wall. During the recent hurricanes here in Fl in the past couple of years there was a dry wall shortage for the building industry and the builders purchased shiploads of dry wall from china. Well the product was manufactured with cheap material that did not measure up to spec. for water repellant and mold resistance. Now after two years in the homes the moisture has grown so much mold that the homes and business's are uninhabitable and have to be gutted or completely rebuilt to get rid of the problem and no builders warranty or manufacturers warranty to cover the cost. No insurance either so individuals have to cover repairs themselves with repair costs in the hundred of thousands of dollar ranges. So you think you have a problem? It could be a lot worst.

Doozie870
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks Jim,
One things for sure, the Grim Raper struck gold when he found your club!!

JimClark
03-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Dude I am part of no club I don't even race any more and don't even have a UL-1. If I do race again it will be a scratch built boat as that is what I enjoy doing.

Jim

Ub Hauled
03-31-2009, 10:40 PM
I feel sorry for all of us that have lost time and money over the UL-1 QC issue but if you really want to feel sorry for people taken to the cleaners over Chinese produced inferior products you should hear what has happened here in Florida with Chinese made dry wall. During the recent hurricanes here in Fl in the past couple of years there was a dry wall shortage for the building industry and the builders purchased shiploads of dry wall from china. Well the product was manufactured with cheap material that did not measure up to spec. for water repellant and mold resistance. Now after two years in the homes the moisture has grown so much mold that the homes and business's are uninhabitable and have to be gutted or completely rebuilt to get rid of the problem and no builders warranty or manufacturers warranty to cover the cost. No insurance either so individuals have to cover repairs themselves with repair costs in the hundred of thousands of dollar ranges. So you think you have a problem? It could be a lot worst.

I like good quality products at an affordable price just like the next guy, but I have to say that just because the product is Chinese, it does not have to necessarily mean that it's inferior quality, it should still meet USA quality standards.
You specified a couple of things here that will be a good example of what I am trying to say. In the UL's case, sure the boat has some issues, most RTRs do, it's done in a "light" manner so it can be affordable as an RTR... it is breaking down, that's for sure, from turn fins to misshaped hulls there are many problems. Now, who's fault is this? Is it the Chinese manufacture that built this hulls in 3 seconds a pop or the company that does not check it's own product out of the assembly line and whips the foreign manufacture into shape or even checks the final product prior of shipment to the customer?
In the case of the homes built post tragedy in FL... sure the dry walls came from China, they had the best price, did anyone check for quality before buying them? One other thing, since I am in the process of buying a house now, I am going through a great learning curve as far as building goes... that being said, are we sure that the contractors followed code and had the stucco screed installed properly? My house inspection said it was installed properly (to old code, no screed). Without the screed, stucco cannot breath properly and get rid of humidity, then generating rot, mold and all sorts of nasty stuff... I am not trying to protect the foreign companies, just making sure that things are seen the way they should be seen (in my book).
There are always 2 sides to the story, it's easy to point out to someone else, but sometimes the problems are inside our own house and it's up to us to keep this sorta inside problem from happening thus making us happy.
Just my 2 cents.

Doozie870
03-31-2009, 10:43 PM
I tried to tell everyone two years ago when the great NW aquacraft rammer was in infancy.. WTF... RTR people are easy come easy go, especially when thier running a POS!

Ub Hauled
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Doozie, telling people is all cool, no need to fly of the handles because THEY did not listen...
The bashing does not go anywhere, it's offensive to many...
then again, you can do whatever you feel like, freedom of speech is still in place, I am merely stating my opinion.

Doozie870
03-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Your absolutly right, I apoligize to the NW AQ rammers and thier followers, sorry its a POS.

Ub Hauled
03-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Lol

H2OCamel
03-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Well Not all companies tech support or service is bad. I bought a Novak SS brushless motor speed control packeage for my Rustler many years ago and the magnet came off the shaft after two years of constant abuse by me. when I called them they said it was a manufaturing flaw and had me send it in. they sent me a new one and they sent my Sermos connectors still on the old wire from the previous speed control!! It was out of warranty too and they still made it right! That is customer service! and honesty.

Ub Hauled
03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
You are 100% right, not all are bad... and I am not saying that...
all I am trying to convey is, a little research to figure out where the problem actually is, prior to pointing fingers, goes a long way.
:thumbup:

JimClark
03-31-2009, 11:22 PM
The real test to see what kind of a company they are will be to see what they will do for those who have already bought the UL-1 when they get this boat fixed.

jim

H2OCamel
03-31-2009, 11:29 PM
I am a production manager and belive me Q.C. is what I loose sleep over. It can make or break you. I have to listen to customer complaints and find out why there is a problem and was it a one time or ongoing. So I agree with you ubhualed that there should be an investigation and some policy or standards put into place that are enforced. Since I supply big companies like Walmart you bet your tailfeathers they don't tollerate screwups in manufacturing! find the source of the problem and elliminate it if you want to still be in bussiness tomorrow.

Doug Smock
03-31-2009, 11:55 PM
The real test to see what kind of a company they are will be to see what they will do for those who have already bought the UL-1 when they get this boat fixed.

jim

:iagree: and hope it's soon!

Ub Hauled
04-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I agree with Jim (and others), if they are the company we hope they are, they should take action really soon in this regards (and inform us), if AQ comes to show us that they just care for a quick buck, well... I ain't no guru but I think that we won't be buying from them anymore.

JimClark
04-01-2009, 12:34 AM
i would agree UB if they fail then I would be pissed for sure. Personally I don't like buying the first of anything that is a new product. I bet you that there will be changes on the ProBoat Elam to solve manufacturing problems also.

Jim

I agree with Jim (and others), if they are the company we hope they are, they should take action really soon in this regards (and inform us), if AQ comes to show us that they just care for a quick buck, well... I ain't non guru but I think that we won't be buying from them anymore.

bustitup
04-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Ub

we have no stucco or screed involved with our interior walls here in Florida...all we do is apply dry wall to either wood or metal studs (Drywall is a common building material typically made of a layer of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick sheets of paper, then kiln dried. Drywall is used globally for the finish construction of interior walls and ceilings.) this drywall we got from china should have had some sort of product approval before they where allowed to sell it to us...someone or many pocketed some big coin for allowing it to be sold here before being tested and approved and now the owners of those homes are suffering big time

back on track here..whats happening with aquacrafts denial of liability here is inexcusable..there is no way you should have to pay to send a bad product back to the people that sold it to you...totally unacceptable

I like good quality products at an affordable price just like the next guy, but I have to say that just because the product is Chinese, it does not have to necessarily mean that it's inferior quality, it should still meet USA quality standards.
You specified a couple of things here that will be a good example of what I am trying to say. In the UL's case, sure the boat has some issues, most RTRs do, it's done in a "light" manner so it can be affordable as an RTR... it is breaking down, that's for sure, from turn fins to misshaped hulls there are many problems. Now, who's fault is this? Is it the Chinese manufacture that built this hulls in 3 seconds a pop or the company that does not check it's own product out of the assembly line and whips the foreign manufacture into shape or even checks the final product prior of shipment to the customer?
In the case of the homes built post tragedy in FL... sure the dry walls came from China, they had the best price, did anyone check for quality before buying them? One other thing, since I am in the process of buying a house now, I am going through a great learning curve as far as building goes... that being said, are we sure that the contractors followed code and had the stucco screed installed properly? My house inspection said it was installed properly (to old code, no screed). Without the screed, stucco cannot breath properly and get rid of humidity, then generating rot, mold and all sorts of nasty stuff... I am not trying to protect the foreign companies, just making sure that things are seen the way they should be seen (in my book).
There are always 2 sides to the story, it's easy to point out to someone else, but sometimes the problems are inside our own house and it's up to us to keep this sorta inside problem from happening thus making us happy.
Just my 2 cents.

Ub Hauled
04-01-2009, 05:11 AM
Ub

we have no stucco or screed involved with our interior walls here in Florida...all we do is apply dry wall to either wood or metal studs (Drywall is a common building material typically made of a layer of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick sheets of paper, then kiln dried. Drywall is used globally for the finish construction of interior walls and ceilings.) this drywall we got from china should have had some sort of product approval before they where allowed to sell it to us...someone or many pocketed some big coin for allowing it to be sold here before being tested and approved and now the owners of those homes are suffering big time

back on track here..whats happening with aquacrafts denial of liability here is inexcusable..there is no way you should have to pay to send a bad product back to the people that sold it to you...totally unacceptable

I didn't mean it that literally, I was merely exemplifying what is going with me and project it into this problem... but I think you got the idea.
:smile:

Capt. Crash
04-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I love my UL-1...the "Miss Duct Tape" :banana:

Steven Vaccaro
04-01-2009, 08:17 AM
The one sort of positive to come out of all this trouble is that Grim built a race boat style rtr. What that does is make it easier for the customer to follow the building style and transfer the items to a new hull if need be. Because lets face it, if someone tries to buy everything BUT the hull, it will add up to about the cost of the complete rtr boat.

longballlumber
04-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Honestly aquacraft/grim raper/NW ramrod fools are no longer needed..

Thanks Jim,
One things for sure, the Grim Raper struck gold when he found your club!!

I tried to tell everyone two years ago when the great NW aquacraft rammer was in infancy.. WTF... RTR people are easy come easy go, especially when thier running a POS!

Your absolutly right, I apoligize to the NW AQ rammers and thier followers, sorry its a POS.

Sorry Doozie, but I have to ask; do you own a UL-1? Another question, what are you doing to help the boating community or solve the UL-1 problem? Personally attacking Mike (Grim), and calling him names isn’t doing anyone any good. Would you say that too him face to face? How many of you guys knew Mike (Grim) before he became an part of Hobbico/Aquacraft?

I have known Mike for several years, years before the Aquacraft days. For those of you that don’t know Mike has been an accomplished nitro boat designer and racer for many, many years. He’s designed and raced boats (more than one) that have won the IMPBA US-1 award. This is the most prestigious award for IMPBA boaters. He has successfully run his own RC boating business out of his own home. He has the upmost respect for all boaters. As for the people that know him the way that I do, we have the upmost respect for him too. He is the kind of guy that would give you any piece or part at a race to keep you on the water and racing. Attacking his identity and his character is getting out of hand.

The design is solid. The manufacturing process and QC has left a little to be desired, and has been well documented. Mike doesn’t have 100% control of these items. He can offer suggestions, but ultimately the “higher ups” will do what they want to do. I am confident in saying they are trying to fix the problem, with out even talking to Mike. I am also confident in saying that Mike will make sure this happens. Not because of people spreading his name in the dirt, it’s because he loves RC boats.

Give it a rest guys….

If anyone wants suggestions on up grading or fixing there hulls let me know. I am willing to help solve the problem, not complain about it.

Mike

Darin Jordan
04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Some rc products made in china are pretty good. Turnigy motors and esc's are an example.. Honestly aquacraft/grim raper/NW ramrod fools are no longer needed..

Hey dude... my first inclination is to tell you to just stick it in your... but that wouldn't be very mature, so I'll refrain from taking that road.

No one was "ramming" anything... We announced a new product that was cool and in fact, fairly revolutionary to the market... We have no control over or insight into any quality issues... The two boats I got were fine, except for the turn fin area, which I then immediately gave a fix for. Why would we assume that the quality would be any worse than the SV was, which was acceptable for a RTR.

If you have a problem with the product, send it back or just don't buy one in the first place. No one forced you to do it, and there is NO way any of us could have forseen any kind of issues like you guys are experiencing. Your making this so personal toward the people out here is very childish and unbecoming and makes you sound like a 14 year-old on the RC truck boards who can't figure out why the steering arms on his Traxxas keep breaking when he rams the garage door at 25-mph...

And, by the way, I haven't said anything because I have no affiliation with AQ and never have, other than I know a few people there and was given inside info on a new product, and I've been paying attention to other things. My official affiliation, since making the official announcements for the UL1, is with Horizon Hobby and ProBoat, so it wouldn't be ethical for me to comment at this point on the quality or design of the AquaCraft stuff. Mike and AQ are the appropriate people to address that issue.

Bitch about the boat all you want, but keep us out of it. All we did was say it was here and it was cool, both of which are very true.

Jeff Wohlt
04-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Darin, Are you affliated or not? I see a couple We's in there. :just-kidding:....you were more of the help fixing than anyone. People should be thanking you for taking the time for real fixes. Good job.:thumbup1:

I have not seen your name mentioned in this. Nobody is bashing you or Mike...well one did which was uncalled for.

"We announced a new product that was cool and in fact, fairly revolutionary to the market... We have no control over or insight into any quality issues... The two boats I got were fine."

"And, by the way, I haven't said anything because I have no affiliation with AQ and never have."

I love these little funny things on the side>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Darin Jordan
04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I have not seen your name mentioned in this. Nobody is bashing you or Mike...well one did which was uncalled for.

"We announced a new product that was cool and in fact, fairly revolutionary to the market... We have no control over or insight into any quality issues... The two boats I got were fine."

"And, by the way, I haven't said anything because I have no affiliation with AQ and never have."

I love these little funny things on the side>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jeff... I'm referring to the "NW Aquacraft rammers" comments... "Northwest", clearly meaning Brian, Me, and those in our club... who first announced the release...

Flying Scotsman
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
The point of this thread was that Aquacraft have been very quiet on known issues. They are not stepping up to the plate and addressing the issues. As, has been stated many times Mike/Grim is not responsible for the manufacturing process. The UL-1 is a great design and with modifications also a sturdy hull. The point is that many newbies will run this boat with no prior inspection and may be very disappointed with the end result and FE boating. My 2 pennies.

EDIT

Note Grim I am still waiting for the call, but it is no big deal, as my UL-1 has all the mods that early buyers were recommending.

Douggie

bustitup
04-01-2009, 12:54 PM
The point of this thread was that Aquacraft have been very quiet on known issues. They are not stepping up to the plate and addressing the issues. As, has been stated many times Mike/Grim is not responsible for the manufacturing process. The UL-1 is a great design and with modifications also a sturdy hull. The point is that many newbies will run this boat with no prior inspection and may be very disappointed with the end result and FE boating. My 2 pennies.

Douggie

very well put and just about sums this all up.....with that said I will say that Grim may have many many accomplishments in FE and rightfully so but I think his name is being somewhat tarnished here since his name is all over the advertising on a product that is being delivered sub-par with lousy QC and questionable customer service from retailers...if I was him I would be waking up my attorneys

Jeff Wohlt
04-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Big enough companies make you sign releases in case damage is done to your reputation or if you come up with an idea you leave all rights to them. If not then Mike should be pretty upset that his name has been slandered and reputation scarred.

Yep, at least one free local call would be in order for me.

JimClark
04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
My guess is he is more interested in just getting the manufacturing issues solved than calling attorneys.

Jim

very well put and just about sums this all up.....with that said I will say that Grim may have many many accomplishments in FE and rightfully so but I think his name is being somewhat tarnished here since his name is all over the advertising on a product that is being delivered sub-par with lousy QC and questionable customer service from retailers...if I was him I would be waking up my attorneys

Doby
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
I'll ask him this Saturday.

Doozie870
04-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Best of luck to everyone.

Doozie870
04-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Mr Darin, looking forward to the pro boat rammer which is surely to come. Keep an eye on the chinese field/factory workers and this will not happen to you! My services are always available if you need them.

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Grim, I have had no phone call as you suggested. I will now point out the issues...a badly designed/manufactured cooling can....poor structural hull strength..a suspect ESC.

Douggie

Steven Vaccaro
04-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Grim, I have had no phone call as you suggested. I will now point out the issues...a badly designed/manufactured cooling can....poor structural hull strength..a suspect ESC.

Douggie

Come on Doug. I think this has been said over and over. Grim knows his customers are complaining about this.

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Steven, the fact was he said I will give you a telephone call. Aquacraft have not answered to percieved problems and I have not received a call from Mike. The boat is still, I think sound after the mods, but running it will tell the truth.

Douggie

JimClark
04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Mike is I am sure busy getting ready for a show in Toledo.
Have patience grasshopper if he said he would call I am sure he will.
Your patience, or lack of it, may be another issue

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Jim, patience I may not have but 5 days to make a call. I think not. By the way I loved the grasshopper reference.

Douggie

longballlumber
04-02-2009, 02:10 PM
:frusty: (insert beating a dead horse here)

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
:frusty: (insert beating a dead horse here)

Dolly would be upset at that reference :biggrin:

Douggie

AndyKunz
04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Doug,

Do you believe that constantly posting your issues here will resolve the problem with your boat?

Mike's a busy guy too. Maybe he's human and forgot. Give him the benefit of the doubt. If it's really important, go visit him in Toledo this weekend. If it's not that important, he'll probably be back in the office Monday or Tuesday.

Andy

Steven Vaccaro
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Doug,

Do you believe that constantly posting your issues here will resolve the problem with your boat?

Mike's a busy guy too. Maybe he's human and forgot. Give him the benefit of the doubt. If it's really important, go visit him in Toledo this weekend. If it's not that important, he'll probably be back in the office Monday or Tuesday.

Andy

OR call Tower/Aqua directly at.
Contact Tower Hobbies (http://www.towerhobbies.com/contact.html) by calling toll-free (USA and Canada) at 800-637-6050. International callers may call 217-398-3636. Direct FAX inquiries to 800-637-7303 or 217-356-6608.

There is a chain of command at Tower. Mike is a designer. That doesn't mean he's making the decisions about warranties.

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=AndyKunz;81438]Doug,

Andy, Toledo is too far away. I have no known issues with my UL-1 as I have done all the mods but it will be put to the test within a month.

Douggie

AndyKunz
04-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Since you say you don't have any issues, what's the beef about? Because he didn't call you?!?! Why not just drop it?

Andy

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Since you say you don't have any issues, what's the beef about? Because he didn't call you?!?! Why not just drop it?

Andy

No problem Andy as long as people live up to to what they state, and this thread is getting stale. Aquacraft ???

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
04-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Still waiting for a Hobbico/Aquaucraft answer and as you know Mike is excussed from an answer. This boat I presume with mods is OK?

Douggie

bustitup
04-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi Doug

I am curious to know have you run your hydro yet? and did you have all the problems that are in this thread......is the boat running now or broke?

Flying Scotsman
04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Doug

I am curious to know have you run your hydro yet? and did you have all the problems that are in this thread......is the boat running now or broke?

No the weather is very cold up here. I waited till some guys ran their boats and I addopted their fixes prior to running. A leason learned !!

Douggie

Doozie870
04-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Hobbico is never going to anwser in public come on.. Run from/exchange it while you can.
Darrin and Co. have jumped ship! and are whipping us up something nice from china at proboat :bowdown:

properchopper
04-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm sure some will disagree with me on this, but here goes : I got one of the first UL-1's and experienced and posted the first "broken off turn fin " report. Oddly enough my water jacket didn't and still doesn't leak. I had stripped motor screws, and lost a very special prop when the coupler split & spit off the shaft {during a race heat off all things}. Thing is, I actually like to tweak/modify stuff. Sorting out setups and handling issues is part of what I like to do. Now I realize that a large part of the demographic that this boat is meant to attract doesn't have the desire or wherewithall to do these things, so there's the rub. I feel for the newbie or anyone else that gets a broken boat out of the box and suffers from poor distributor support, and hope this changes soon. I also feel for Grim who pioneered a great gift for the FE community and was let down by the manufacturing follow-through. I look forward to running my "tweaked" UL-1 tomorrow and it'll hit the water with more anticipation/fun than my absolutely great running mono. Further, the UL-1 's whetted my appetite for hydros, and have one "a** kicking" one being shipped to me now that I just bought. Lookout for this one !:rockon2:
James Bro, good to hear from you.

Raydee
04-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I have to admit after seeing my friends boat come broken out of the box I took the money I had set aside for the hull and spent it elsewhere. I want to say that anyone that is blaming Grim for designing a boat and doing what he had to do to get more guys in this hobby are crazy. I am hoping that they learned something from the first run and come out with a second version that has all the problems fixed.

longballlumber
04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I took the money I had set aside for the hull and spent it elsewhere.

Don't give up just yet... As mentioned previously, they are fixing the issues.

Doby
04-04-2009, 10:49 PM
I spent about 45 minutes talking with Grim today in Toledo. The concerns regarding this boat are not falling on deaf ears.

Grimracer
04-07-2009, 12:26 PM
For some reason that mail forward (from home to work) is getting filtered out?

Anyhow..

I did find out that to this point you (Flying Scotsman) have not run your boat yet so it sounds like there is no need to chat about that one.

Let me summarize. Just so you know Im still going to call you unless you state otherwise.. I really felt it unfair to post a COPY of Lisa’s mail on this forum. She does not have the opportunity to come on here and post. Lisa’s a great person and really likes to help. She is always working very hard and has fun learning about boats. She is really getting very good at RC boat knowledge. Posting a mail just seemed weird to me.. Everybody else can feel the way they want and that’s OK too.... I just wanted to chat with you about it.

MLP!

Grim

Steven Vaccaro
04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Mike can you give us an update on the issues at hand?

Rumdog
04-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I think all that is going on is that everyone wants some kind of answer. Everyone who has purchased a ul-1 deserves it. To this point there has been no first or second hand input as to what is being done about the issues.

Steven Vaccaro
04-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I think all that is going on is that everyone wants some kind of answer. Everyone who has purchased a ul-1 deserves it. To this point there has been no first or second hand input as to what is being done about the issues.

I was more after future updates. The ways to fix the problem areas have addressed by some of the racers on the forum. Beefing up the turn fin area and water jacket. If you have a current problem that is out of your ability to handle call Great Planes for warranty issues.

Capt. Crash
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I didn't like the look of this boat at first....but it has really grown on me. What's the chances of being able to buy a upgraded replacement hull in the near future? :popcorn2:

Flying Scotsman
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Grimracer;82146]For some reason that mail forward (from home to work) is getting filtered out?

Anyhow..

I did find out that to this point you (Flying Scotsman) have not run your boat yet so it sounds like there is no need to chat about that one.

Let me summarize. Just so you know Im still going to call you unless you state otherwise.. I really felt it unfair to post a COPY of Lisa’s mail on this forum. She does not have the opportunity to come on here and post. Lisa’s a great person and really likes to help. She is always working very hard and has fun learning about boats. She is really getting very good at RC boat knowledge. Posting a mail just seemed weird to me.. Everybody else can feel the way they want and that’s OK too.... I just wanted to chat with you about it.

MLP!

Mike, I have not run this boat and I trust with many updates it will run well. Lisa's comments were of a person not well conversed in PR comments. The boat WILL SPEAK as to to the potential of its force

Douggie

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
AQ really needs to fire the company making the hulls. The 'shoebox' type hull has to be joined, seams filled, and then painted, unlike a 'flanged' style hull. The result is terrible quality and workmanship. It's really a shame because AQ is probably paying just as much for the shoddy hulls as they would for a quality hull. I hope they get a handle on it soon. I love the UL-1. Probably the best driving and running RTR I have ever experienced. I am ready to buy a second one but won't until they can get a new hull under their excellent motor/esc setup.

Reference thread http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6675

Seriously... I get a damaged one, it takes over a month to get a replacement (FROM GREAT PLANES), now look at this one?!

It looks like maybe even the same one with "attempted" repairs or something? Tell me, is this what I'm supposed to expect for Aquacraft quality? Man oh man.... now what? Just deal with it? Am I being too picky here or what?

bustitup
04-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I hope they get a handle on it soon. I love the UL-1. Probably the best driving and running RTR I have ever experienced. I am ready to buy a second one but won't until they can get a new hull under their excellent motor/esc setup.

yup and dont forget about the 2.4 radio system included in the relativley cheap price on this boat

but no matter how cheap it is you shouldnt have to rebuild the hull out of the box

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:13 PM
All of this is a real shame. Mike did a great job on the hull design but the execution of the product is horrible. The motor/esc/radio/hardware combo is absolutely great. It's too bad it has to reside in the crappy hull.

The worst thing is that top quality hulls can be had in China for no more than they are paying for this POS!

Mike, certainly not your fault and I hope nobody blames you. Wish you could send me your original. I can get hulls made that are top notch epoxy gelcoat vacuum bagged for around $30 in volume.

I would demand a full refund and then buy the parts and put them in the vacu pickel hull or one of Steve's other hydros and have a fast and stronger hull. If they are not damaged by the manufac then they will be after some runs....too much flex. I really hate to see this but was pretty sure it was going to happen. Epoxy hulls are different than these polyester/painted hulls.

Mike's design is not the problem. They (GP) should have had specs showing minimum hull thickness, etc. for production... a little more is better than a little less.

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
That is absolutely absurd! The battery connectors have no bearing on whether or not the ESC works! What a terrible policy. It seems they are just looking for a way out. It's one thing to have policies, which every company has to have, it's another to not allow the service tech the ability to use common sense.

Beautiful.

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Your blanket statement is off the mark. MOST of what we are running today comes from China and there is some top quality work coming from there. The Chinese make exactly what you tell them to make. They are not mind readers or proactive and will rarely offer anything better than what you have ordered unless you tell them. Look at the Delta Force hulls that are so popular. Good stuff. Nearly all of the hardware being sold by everyone is coming from China.

The motor and ESC in the UL-1 is also made in China and they work great...also the 2.4ghz radio.

It would be great if we could "buy U.S. only" but then we couldn't afford the hobby.

QUOTE=skibo2;81110]Want to really know what is wrong with the QC and the sloppy workmanship? Look right on the box for those wonderful three little words "MADE IN CHINA." Look at all the other problems in the past few months with other products coming out of that country. I doubt very much if Hobbico has any hand in the poor quality as I don't think they would risk their reputation, however, they had better get on the backs of the manufacturer and correct the problem. As for Hobby Services, I have had three warranty issues with them, an ESC, a flex shaft and a UL-1 replacement and they were great about it no problems at all. Yes, they will deny they are not aware of problems as that is what they are told to say, if they admitted to all the issues, no one would buy their products.[/QUOTE]

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
When I first received my UL-1, the water jacket was bad. Hobby services said they would send me a new one. They did....the crappy silicone job they use on the Supervee! DOH!

I ended up buying one of Steven's water jackets which is great but should not have had the issue of a bad water jacket to begin with. Receiving the silicone jacket was a true insult in my opinion.

True Jim, but when you call on the phone they WILL act ignorant of UL-1 issues. Besides the wwater jacket. They aren't being very helpful at all in dealing with replacement parts. Especially hulls.

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Yep, but you paid dearly for that Novak! Haha. It's easy to have a very tolerant service policy when you're making huge profits. Not hard to eat an occassional bad motor, etc. But when you're running on a very small profit margin, service policies, etc. tighten up. Unfortunately, hobby services seem to have tightened up beyond sensibility. They are giving their own product a bad name which is truly too bad because the overall concept of the UL-1 is incredible. Grim's design runs like a scalded ape but whatever company in china that's making the boats isn't doing them any favors.

Well Not all companies tech support or service is bad. I bought a Novak SS brushless motor speed control packeage for my Rustler many years ago and the magnet came off the shaft after two years of constant abuse by me. when I called them they said it was a manufaturing flaw and had me send it in. they sent me a new one and they sent my Sermos connectors still on the old wire from the previous speed control!! It was out of warranty too and they still made it right! That is customer service! and honesty.

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
It is rather comical that hobby services acts surprised when you call about a problem with the UL-1. Who do they think they're kiddin?

bustitup
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Jeff
This is what Steve was trying to convey....buy the time you buy all the UL-1 parts

motor, esc, cooling $100
hardware $125
2.4 radio system. $100
servo $20

your getting the hull for free

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Well said!

Sorry Doozie, but I have to ask; do you own a UL-1? Another question, what are you doing to help the boating community or solve the UL-1 problem? Personally attacking Mike (Grim), and calling him names isn’t doing anyone any good. Would you say that too him face to face? How many of you guys knew Mike (Grim) before he became an part of Hobbico/Aquacraft?

I have known Mike for several years, years before the Aquacraft days. For those of you that don’t know Mike has been an accomplished nitro boat designer and racer for many, many years. He’s designed and raced boats (more than one) that have won the IMPBA US-1 award. This is the most prestigious award for IMPBA boaters. He has successfully run his own RC boating business out of his own home. He has the upmost respect for all boaters. As for the people that know him the way that I do, we have the upmost respect for him too. He is the kind of guy that would give you any piece or part at a race to keep you on the water and racing. Attacking his identity and his character is getting out of hand.

The design is solid. The manufacturing process and QC has left a little to be desired, and has been well documented. Mike doesn’t have 100% control of these items. He can offer suggestions, but ultimately the “higher ups” will do what they want to do. I am confident in saying they are trying to fix the problem, with out even talking to Mike. I am also confident in saying that Mike will make sure this happens. Not because of people spreading his name in the dirt, it’s because he loves RC boats.

Give it a rest guys….

If anyone wants suggestions on up grading or fixing there hulls let me know. I am willing to help solve the problem, not complain about it.

Mike

sailr
04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Ah come on man! I'm sure Mike has a million things on his plate. Surely you don't think you are his utmost top priority? Give him some time!!

Jim, patience I may not have but 5 days to make a call. I think not. By the way I loved the grasshopper reference.

Douggie

skibo2
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=sailr;82360]Your blanket statement is off the mark. MOST of what we are running today comes from China and there is some top quality work coming from there. The Chinese make exactly what you tell them to make. They are not mind readers or proactive and will rarely offer anything better than what you have ordered unless you tell them. Look at the Delta Force hulls that are so popular. Good stuff. Nearly all of the hardware being sold by everyone is coming from China.

The motor and ESC in the UL-1 is also made in China and they work great...also the 2.4ghz radio.

It would be great if we could "buy U.S. only" but then we couldn't afford the hobby.

Sailr, you may think my previous remarks are off the mark but apparently you don't read the papers or listen to the world news. I refer to the melamine that was added to pet foods, melamine that was added to dairy foods and the addition of substandard materials that a company used in drywall shipped around the world. These are all documented violations of both world ethics and even the Chinese government agrees and is prosecuting the companies involved. I do agree that NOT ALL chinese companies do business this way but greed has reared its ugly head in a lot of places in China. I retired from a company that had a lot of dealings with Chinese manufacturing companies, some were great and others were a major problem. Your post sounds to me as thoiugh you are putting the blame entirely on Aquacraft.

Flying Scotsman
04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
The motor is great the ESC suspect. The radio is great for the price. I just think that for their next venture Aquacraft should increase the price and their quality.

Douggie

Jeff Wohlt
04-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Yes I understand the hulls would be free if you buy the boat...no point there as they are doing what I said they would after the first few out.

You only need the motor and ESC...well and maybe the radio but use other hardware that is cheaper...and you can paint it black, gold or whatever floats your boat.

As I said...Mike did his part . Do you have any idea what a big step this is to a company to replace them?

GP will only honor the people that call and ask for some resolve...no different than any other company. Do you think they are going to get on here and tell us something?

Do you know how many more boats they could have sold without all this bad press? Is this better for our hobby or worse?

Flying Scotsman
04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Do you know how many more boats they could have sold without all this bad press? Is this better for our hobby or worse?

Jeff worse. The UL-1 as I have stated many a time is a great design but with poor QC. We, I think all started out with an RTR and were disappointed with the speed but the boats were sound within their design and hull limitations.

Douggie

Brushless55
04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Can all the Hardware from the UL-1 fit into the Vacu-pickle Hydro?
Ive heard the Vacu-Pickle a great Hydro?

Thanks

Ub Hauled
04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I think the rudder has too small of a base for the type of material that VUP is made of...
otherwise I believe it fits.

Doug Smock
04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Can all the Hardware from the UL-1 fit into the Vacu-pickle Hydro?
Ive heard the Vacu-Pickle a great Hydro?

Thanks

If the strut and rudder are 1" or less in height there shouldn't be a problem. If they are I'm sure a guy could modify them to fit the transom.;)

Jan, how wide is the UL 1 rudder bracket? There are numerous V-U-P hulls out there with this Fullers rudder on them, no issues yet that I'm aware of.:thumbup1: The rudder bracket is 7/16" wide.

Doug:tiphat:

Ub Hauled
04-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Doug, I don't have her in front of me, I believe it's around 1/2", on the pic can you see the little tip where the screws go on, that is a bit... "shy" when considering all the forces that are applied there.

Doug Smock
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I'd use it without hesitation!!;)

Doug :beerchug:

Brushless55
04-08-2009, 11:22 PM
It's amazing to me the amount of great knowledge on this site when it comes to FE Boats!

I'm looking forward to getting my UL-1 on friday, doing the things you all have said that is good for this boat to loosen it up a bit, and when the hull gives, try and put the hardware into a different boat..

I'm jazzed!

MarkJnK
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I've resisted joining this thread, as I have not run my UL-1 yet. But I do want to give a quick example of AQ's customer service. My nephew has a SV-27 that he got last summer. This year he noticed some cracks in the gelcoat. I told him to take some digital photos and send to AQ. He did so, and 2 emails and a couple hours later, Lisa has a replacement hull on the way to him. No begging or nasty emails necessary, just plain old good customer service. Give AQ a chance to address these things, I'm sure they are working on it. After reading many of the abrasive and immature rants in this thread, I not surprised that AQ and Grim have chosen not to participate in this thread.

sailr
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
My statement about Chinese products referred to the hobby world. This forum is to discuss hobby products. I don't wish to get into political discussions. But you might also want to think about E-coli in our beef and salmonella in our peanuts, etc. US manufacturers are not innocent either. I CURRENTLY deal with a lot of Chinese companies. Granted, some are good and some are bad but you can say that about any business in any country in the world, including our own.

I am not blaming AQ for anything except the shoddy hull which could have been avoided without any increase in cost to them.

QUOTE=skibo2;82386]
Your blanket statement is off the mark. MOST of what we are running today comes from China and there is some top quality work coming from there. The Chinese make exactly what you tell them to make. They are not mind readers or proactive and will rarely offer anything better than what you have ordered unless you tell them. Look at the Delta Force hulls that are so popular. Good stuff. Nearly all of the hardware being sold by everyone is coming from China.

Sailr, you may think my previous remarks are off the mark but apparently you don't read the papers or listen to the world news. I refer to the melamine that was added to pet foods, melamine that was added to dairy foods and the addition of substandard materials that a company used in drywall shipped around the world. These are all documented violations of both world ethics and even the Chinese government agrees and is prosecuting the companies involved. I do agree that NOT ALL chinese companies do business this way but greed has reared its ugly head in a lot of places in China. I retired from a company that had a lot of dealings with Chinese manufacturing companies, some were great and others were a major problem. Your post sounds to me as thoiugh you are putting the blame entirely on Aquacraft.

Steven Vaccaro
04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I said it before, I'll say it again. AQ is and has been a stand up company. They have helped 99% of the problems that have arose with the SuperVee. I'm sure they will take care of any problems with the UL-1.

So far I see three issues.
(1) the water jacket. Easy fix, buy a new one or call them for replacement parts in the very near future(if not presently available).

(2) the turn fin area. It has been addressed on how to fix this area. Check the thread out and fix it BEFORE there is an issue.

(3) hull stress cracks. This is an area no one likes. But if you want a stronger boat that is slower, they are out there for purchase. If you want a light fast boat this is something you will have to deal with. I don't know to many rc vehicles that crash as 40 plus mph that come out unscathed. I also personally own a H&M viper that the hull alone cost $175 or so. Guess what it has stress cracks that I'm not happy about, but know that its part what goes along with a boat of this nature.

This thread is headed no where quick. Please keep on topic or start a new topic.

MarkJnK
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Agreed. I don't think there is a such thing as a RTR that is bullet proof. Heck, I spent more money maintaining my RTR Emaxx than I did the family car :doh:

Before my UL-1 gets wet it will have an improved water jacket, enlarged footprint fin bracket, turn fin reinforcement and urethane expanding foam injection. That should cover 95% of the issues and the rest is up to the water gods.

sailr
04-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Steven, I totally agree. AQ has generally been really great. I suppose it's the innundation of complaints about the UL-1 that they haven't had time to sort out yet. I understand what you're saying about the price of H&M hulls, but you and I both know that good quality hulls can be had in China very reasonably, especially in the volume they are ordering. I'm just saying it's a shame AQ didn't avail themselves of that opportunity. With the quality throughout the rest of the boat, that would have made them the king of the heap in RTR's!

I said it before, I'll say it again. AQ is and has been a stand up company. They have helped 99% of the problems that have arose with the SuperVee. I'm sure they will take care of any problems with the UL-1.

So far I see three issues.
(1) the water jacket. Easy fix, buy a new one or call them for replacement parts in the very near future(if not presently available).

(2) the turn fin area. It has been addressed on how to fix this area. Check the thread out and fix it BEFORE there is an issue.

(3) hull stress cracks. This is an area no one likes. But if you want a stronger boat that is slower, they are out there for purchase. If you want a light fast boat this is something you will have to deal with. I don't know to many rc vehicles that crash as 40 plus mph that come out unscathed. I also personally own a H&M viper that the hull alone cost $175 or so. Guess what it has stress cracks that I'm not happy about, but know that its part what goes along with a boat of this nature.

This thread is headed no where quick. Please keep on topic or start a new topic.

Brushless55
04-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Maybe AQ should not call it a RTR, they should call it ARR with a list of problems with the boat that needs to be addresed before the boat hits the water..
I have alot of RTR Traxxas and Losi Trucks and not one have I had to take apart and fix something before I ran it for the first time... I have over $1,700 in my E-Revo and that's because I wanted a fast Brushless and lipo setup.. and still the chassis is stock.. :rockon2:

I think we have some who are venting because they thought they were getting a RTR and to find out that when they open the box to their new Boat it's already broke.. :cursing:

And That does kinda suck to a degree.. :thumbsdown:

I got a great deal on my UL-1 and when I get it Friday and it's broke well I have all the geat hardware to but into a better hull.. :banana:

Steven Vaccaro
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
What to solve some of these issues? Buy it from a local hobby shop and inspect the boat prior to accepting it.

longballlumber
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
What to solve some of these issues? Buy it from a local hobby shop and inspect the boat prior to accepting it.

That is exactly what I did.

I am sure that if you ask nicely, Steven will inspect the boat you buy from him too. However, you will not get that kind of customer service from anyone!!!!

Mike

Brushless55
04-09-2009, 11:54 AM

That's awesome, and a great Idea..

Why didn't I think of that. :doh:

Doozie870
04-14-2009, 10:26 PM
I would like to offer myself for a 3 month free of charge.. Aquacraft/china factory inspection, lets get to the bottom of this right now..

Brushless55
04-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Got mine from Tower on Sat. and it is in perfect shape!
Now I'm trying to follow the advise from you pros on the setup to get it to run great!

Mash13
04-20-2009, 09:43 AM
the QA thing is everywhere in large companies. I have a DX3.0 Spektrum transmitter that makes whatever I put it in do the hokey pokey all over the place. This has been sent back and COUGH repaired COUGH 4 times (on its way back on the 5TH). I live in Australia, bought it over the net from US and costs me everytime I post it, although I do get refunded eventually. What the parent company looks at is the amount of good Vs bad units it sells. Say it sells 1000 units 40 of them are bad. This might fit in with their projected acceptable losses, so to them its accepted. I feel your pain, my dodgey spektrum sent my baja 5b off into a fence flat out. Things in todays world just seem to work this way most of the time, which is a real shame in my books.
I was looking forward to a UL-1 for my birthday, but I might just hold off for awhile.

VKGT
06-27-2009, 11:47 PM
FWIW........My final replacement JUST SHOWED UP the other day..... You think it's worth that kind of wait? I DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I hadn't already bought $200 worth of batteries and upgrades for this boat I definitely wouldn't have waited on it... GP Claims that they were on backorder, all colors! I'm not happy with Aquacraft OR Great Planes ... Thanks a lot for terrible and sh*tty service!!

ncornacchi
08-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi Guys,

Longtime reader, firstime poster....I am the owner of 5- Ul's, all first generation.
I also have experienced all of the problems: cracked turnfin support, leaky waterjacket, collets breaking/losing shafts, split seams, popping caps, etc, etc......But you know what?, This is our hobby, and we didn't pay $500 for a hull only, we paid $300 for a complete setup,,,yes, with flaws, but so what,,...we got a boat that needs tweeking and attention and ingenuity. Half of the fun is tearing it down and paying attention to what makes it tick, where are the weaknesses, what could be done to make it better ...make it your own, make it faster....have some fun....My biggest hurdle has been to augment the flow of water to the motor/esc..every one of our boats have a different idea/design on better water pickup, and so far, the red one runs like a horse and never stalls, heats or bumps. And you know what? I'm having a ball screwing around with different designs, some fail, some fly, and that's my point...don't let it get you down..if we all got the same perfect boat out of the box, and all ran them together, and they all screwed at the same speed, how fast would we get board?

witespy
08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Do not mean to bump. But I agree.

At least you where able to get grim to give you a phone call. wow! I was unlucky to pick up a old hull i have to eat now.

my post here : http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=9575

All I get is a email that says : emails are personal and confidential. i can not copied in part or in whole other than in a reply to the sender. Copying this email to other emails or public forums is not permitted.

donthavta
08-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I for the first time in my 62 years I e-mailed Aqua Craft with all my problems. Was told to send boat back! How could I ! I fixed things as they happened. Was told my promlems would be given to who ever................gave my cell number no calls I think her name was lisa . Would check my notes if anyone would call or care Ron S

Brushless55
08-07-2009, 09:41 PM
every time I have an issue, I get a new part from them within 3 days!

alvinsmith75
08-07-2009, 10:33 PM
every time I have an issue, I get a new part from them within 3 days!

It is funny(not really), how some people have great dealings and others do not. In the beginning when esc's started poping caps, I was honest with them on my prop selection and I was told that the esc was not warranty and that I was the only one with an esc problem. The same day someone posted that they had the same problem and was sent a new esc with no problem.

Rumdog
08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Same exact story here. The guy on the phone acted like he had never heard of the esc problems before. I guess that's what makes me the most angry.

alvinsmith75
08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Same exact story here. The guy on the phone acted like he had never heard of the esc problems before. I guess that's what makes me the most angry.

Very true. To be honest I was one of the first ones to receive my UL1 and have not had any trouble with the boat at all except for the esc. I didn't do any turnfin mods and no leaky water jacket.

Rumdog
08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow, that IS weird. I got mine back in March and had all the little issues. I must say, it is one of the funnest boats i've ran.

Raydee
08-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I work in the electronics industry and I get the "We never had that problem before" BS all the time. Each and every time a company says that to me I just laugh now. It's almost like insurance companies that will deny your claim, they do that hoping that you will just be like the majority of people and just drop the claim and go away. You have to stand your ground and keep bugging them until they finally give you what you deserve.

Our club couldn't wait to get our hands on the UL-1 hulls to have a spec race class this season but after we saw the first boats come in with split seems right out of the box and other's having the turn fin falling off the boat we decided to kill the idea UNTIL they get everything workd out on these hulls. I know that these things can be fixed by the end user but the whole point of these hulls was to get more Noobies in our club and I know for a fact that the problems with the hull will simply turn a new guy away.

We are still hoping to get some updated hulls for next season, Mike did a great job designing them and they will def be fun to race once AQ gets the QC worked out.

ncornacchi
08-08-2009, 07:03 AM
true, true.....but once a newbie runs this boat once, he's hooked. And sometimes, just tinkering with it gets you to know your boat better. To me, that's at least half the fun

TDM Racing
08-08-2009, 07:37 AM
And having to upgrade to keep up with the Jone's is what racing is all about right?
And yes, I have raced Spec classes for 15 years and there are still things done to try
and get a leg up on the next guy.
Modding is just part of racing as far as I am concerned.

Dave182
08-08-2009, 10:55 AM
See this is what i love about this site....The "scource" is right here ...Thanks Grimracer...

donthavta
08-08-2009, 05:13 PM
See this is what i love about this site....The "scource" is right here ...Thanks Grimracer...

Grimracer, My name in Ron I e-mailed Lisa Mann in prodct support she said she would pass along my comments to you . I gave her my cell # and had hoped to here from you or someone .Ron Squires