PDA

View Full Version : Spray foam question

Blackjack-sven
03-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I have this foam that I picked up at my local hardware store called "Great Stuff" but I'm not sure if I should use it. The can does not tell me the lb rating. Does anyone know whether or not I can use this stuff?

Doby
03-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I use it in all my boats for several years now and it works great. Just make sure to do small portions at a time. If you have a big cavity to fill, do it in small doses over several days, that way you will minimize any potential for over expansion.

Blackjack-sven
03-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Perfect, cause I want to add some of this foam to the rear of my BJ26 BL, so if flipped the ass end will stay afloat with the front end while I bring out my rescue boat to push it ashore. This way my electronics will stay nice and dry without having to balloon everything.

Steven Vaccaro
03-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure, but I think this is the stuff that other people have said will expand well after the cure when exposed to sun light. I'm not 100% sure, just do some searching to make sure or don't fill the cavity completely.

longballlumber
03-23-2009, 11:16 AM
this stuff will absorb water over time too... Personally, I would use something different, but that is just my $.02

Doby
03-23-2009, 12:07 PM
It does not absord water.

bustitup
03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
how feasible would it be to spread some of that under a mm hatch cover...say like 3/4" thick to the hatch would float?

paulwilliams
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM

Maybe there are different brands? We have some canister foam we used in a small monohull that flipped and filled. For various reasons, it took us a few hours to retrieve it. By the time we got to it, the foam in the nose had absorbed a lot of water and the boat was only just still floating.

The 2-part stuff you mix up I think is waterproof, the aerosol stuff, from my experience anyway, does absorb water.

Paul

Rex R
03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
bustitup: apply in small amounts or else the hatch will warp. remember to check to that everything will clear before you mash the hatch down to tape.

Steven Vaccaro
03-23-2009, 01:50 PM
When I was about 14, my cousin gave me a half built pt-109 to finish building. I put in a ton of the spray foam. Then let it dry over night. I was in amazement when I woke up the next day to see a GIANT amount of foam budging from the hull. :eek: What a newbie! After some cutting away it worked fine. But I never did finish the boat. This reminds me to go to my parents house and see if its still in the basement.

longballlumber
03-23-2009, 02:13 PM

My mistake.... I still woudn't use it....

Blackjack-sven
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
My mistake.... I still woudn't use it....

Why not?

longballlumber
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
the risk factor keeps me away from it...

expansion rate is a guess at best
others have mentioned issues about continued expansion in the heat
some are saying it will take on water other say it wont
It's heavy in respects to other "foam" products.

There are many other alternatives that don't have the same level of risk...

again just my $.02

paulwilliams
03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
expansion rate is a guess at best

Expanding foam also shrinks when it gets cold. I used it in the front end of a lightweight epoxy Hopf Evo that I built at the end of the summer last year. A month later, the temperature drops and suddenly my Evo has wrinkles in the deck :eek:

To be fair, this hull was a very light layup.

Paul

Jeff Wohlt
03-23-2009, 05:31 PM
I have found two kinds. One is a waterbased white foam. it is the kind that is easy to crumble up and very soft. I had to put some in a window frame and it gets hit by sun all afternoon and has never expanded. I will try and find a name. Neat stuff but it will not give the hull more support where the yellow crap will.

Always allow enough room. If you block it and it grows then boom.

I like the hatch idea if you could spray a layer in it...certainly it would float but the good old bathtub is where we find all this out for sure.

Blackjack-sven
03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
... but the good old bathtub is where we find all this out for sure.

I'll give it a try and see how well it will even stick to the lid.

GearHead
03-26-2009, 11:02 PM
BlackJack Sven,

There are two or three levels of expansion available on the spray foam... I think I would go with the one labled "Minimum Expansion"...

When insulating a new door on my house with the standard stuff, it expanded so much that when I came home from work, the door could not be opened... Glad I had a back door... :doh:

Keep-em-Floating...

GearHead...

dwsjcw
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
If you go to Warehouse Hobbies web site, they sell a two part foam made specifically for boat hulls.

Blackjack-sven
03-27-2009, 01:34 PM
it expanded so much that when I came home from work, the door could not be opened..

LMFAO Sorry but that is way too funny.

If you go to Warehouse Hobbies web site, they sell a two part foam made specifically for boat hulls.

Thanx for the help. I'll check them out.