PDA

View Full Version : turn fin location and mouting angle

longballlumber
03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Hello guys,

What is everyone's opinion on turn fin location left to right relative to the ride pad on sport hulls; Middle of the ride pad, outside of the ride pad, or inside of the ride pad?

What about the nominal angle of the mounting. Perpendicular to the theatrical flat plane of the water or perpendicular to the sponson surface (most have dihedral)? This is in reference to a fin that has a bend "built into it" not a flat fin that is mounted on an angle.

I would love everyone's opinion's!

Thanks
Mike

tth
03-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Good question, I suspect many different opinions.

BakedMopar
11-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Does anyone have input on this? I am trying to figure this out myself.

George

properchopper
11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Mike, hopefully others with more data/experience will chime in, but what I'm learning so far is that there's a fair amount of trial & testing for each specific application. Conventional wisdom seems to locate the fin on the outside of the sponson. Not sure about fore-aft placement - usually the front of the fin lines up with the rear tip of the sponson, although riggers often place them further rearward. Perpendicular or tilted inward varies the "bite" as far as I know. Fins rolled inward create lift, so lots of test&tune there. I have a "straight-but-tilted-inward boat;works great. One "rolled under"-works great. One "straight-but-tilted-inward" that doesn't work good at all & am still testing. I'm listening to this thread for some advice as well :popcorn2: