PDA

View Full Version : Turnfin

ice329
03-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Is there a thread on fixing the turnfin crack? If not can someone give me a idea on whats worked to fix it. Thanks

Ub Hauled
03-11-2009, 05:50 PM
the turn fin itself cracked or is it the base of it?

yudruln8
03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=6308
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=6308

egneg
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
There are some that have used epoxy with a syringe in the screw holes but I opted for Darin's remedy which I think is the strongest and best solution.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=6249

Note: The shape of the ply insert may change depending on how the FG is layed out inside the sponson.

ice329
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
OK thanks I will have to read to see which way I will go. The whole corner is cracked, which I knew it was broke before I bought it. I guess this was a early boat, but its brand new and just needs this one repair and I got a shiny new hydro...

Flying Scotsman
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I hate to state this. Aquacraft brought the best designed RTR hull to the market with the UL-1 but their manufacturing quality control leaves a lot to be desired.

Douggie

longballlumber
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I would like to add some additional food for thought on this whole fixing of the turn fin area.

Keep in mind that a larger mounting plate (on the inside) is only part of the equation. Not only do you want to increase the surface area that is bonding to the sponson transom, but you want to also tie in the sponson transom and the sponson ride pad. The intersection of the sponson transom (surface that the turn fin bracket is mounted on) and the sponson rid pad are at a 90 degree angle, you want to try and form a fillet or a chamfer in that corner that will tie the 2 surfaces together and make it much stronger.

If you only put in a new threaded plate you will be helping by spreading out the load. However, you still run the chance of the hull cracking at the corner of the sponson transom and the sponson bottom.

Does that make sense?

ice329
03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
The boat is actually bigger then I thought. One of these day I will get into repairing it.

Flying Scotsman
03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I would like to add some additional food for thought on this whole fixing of the turn fin area.

Keep in mind that a larger mounting plate (on the inside) is only part of the equation. Not only do you want to increase the surface area that is bonding to the sponson transom, but you want to also tie in the sponson transom and the sponson ride pad. The intersection of the sponson transom (surface that the turn fin bracket is mounted on) and the sponson rid pad are at a 90 degree angle, you want to try and form a fillet or a chamfer in that corner that will tie the 2 surfaces together and make it much stronger.

If you only put in a new threaded plate you will be helping by spreading out the load. However, you still run the chance of the hull cracking at the corner of the sponson transom and the sponson bottom.

Does that make sense?

One word...YES

skibo2
03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
I hate to state this. Aquacraft brought the best designed RTR hull to the market with the UL-1 but their manufacturing quality control leaves a lot to be desired.

Douggie

Guys don't get this post wrong, I am not knocking Aquacraft I just want to make a point. I agree with Douggie about the manufacturing quality control issue and it is a shame because it is making for a lot of disappointed people when they expect to be able to take a RTR boat right out of the box and to the pond without having to make repairs first. Well, now does RTR really mean Ready to Repair.....LOL
I own two of the UL-1's and I love them and think they are a great boat. Considering all the quality issues Aquacraft had with the early SV's I would have thought they would have kept a close eye on quality.

Capt. Crash
03-12-2009, 07:47 AM
One more thought to add to the repair. My last incident shows that the sponson repairs I did were ok for the end and bottom which is where I ran my epoxy after I squirted it into the bolt holes, but now it's fractured the hull beyond those repairs along the outside of the sponson from bottom to top. If I were to do it again I would reinforce the entire back half of the sponson back, bottom and sides.

MarkJnK
03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Have there been any running improvements put in place to remedy this issue on later production units? Any idea if the improved units are starting to make it to the shelves yet? Or when?

Grim? Can you shed some light on this?

Mark