PDA

View Full Version : Best album/Group of the 60's and 70's era

Flying Scotsman
03-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Since it was my birthday yesterday and I can still demand answers for one more day. What are your choices.
For me the WHO followed by the early Rolling Stones, and Hendrix

Douggie

Ub Hauled
03-11-2009, 05:26 PM
in no particular order:
Rush, Pete Townshend (Who), Eagles, Supertramp, Santana, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Police, Bob Marley, Iron Maiden, Ramones and off course The Beatles.
TBC...

JimClark
03-11-2009, 05:34 PM
The Dave Clark Five

ghostofpf1
03-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Black Sabbath ....:rockon2:

Steve :cool2:

Flying Scotsman
03-11-2009, 05:43 PM
The Dave Clark Five

Jim you are a card :biggrin: Ub we have to talk those are some of favourite bands

Douggie

Ub Hauled
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Good music is timeless... I know kids that like some of these bands, I am sure my kids will like some of the 80's bands I grew up listening... it'll be their version of "classics"...
LOL

egneg
03-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Led Zeppelin, The Song Remains the Same ... hands down!!!

:rockon2: :rockon2: :rockon2: :rockon2: :rockon2: :rockon2:

JimClark
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
No I am a Clark but I also liked Paul Revere and the Raiders

Jim you are a card :biggrin: Ub we have to talk those are some of favourite bands

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Good music is timeless... I know kids that like some of these bands, I am sure my kids will like some of the 80's bands I grew up listening... it'll be their version of "classics"...

A great point listen to Leanord Cohen's music and poetry. The current rap guys have no clue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czQoGSYBeHU

Douggie

H&MWill
03-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Black Sabbath, Judas Priest Then Iron Maiden!!!!:rockon2:

jeff180
03-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Led Zeppelin, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, and no one has mentioned the one and only Eric Clapton

ZarkSniper
03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Being a Canadian boy, of course I have to start with Rush...followed by, in no specific order:

Led Zepplin
Boston
Journey
Cream
The Who
The Guess Who
The Beatles
The Grateful Dead
Def Leppard

OMG..I almost forgot...THE POLICE

Only to name a few...:buttrock:

Red65
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Led Zeppelin
Santana
Beatles
Barry White
Earth Wind & Fire
Rolling Stones
Ramones
Bob Marley
Elvis

Doug Smock
03-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes,all of the above and
Peter Framton
Sweet
Bob Seger
Pink Floyd

Man those were the days ehh???

AndyKunz
03-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Flatt & Scruggs
Bill Monroe
Jimmy Martin
Jim Reeves

Dr. Jet
03-12-2009, 10:24 AM
It must be a California thing, but nobody has mentioned Quicksilver Messenger Service.

"Happy Trails" One of the best live albums ever. "Who Do You Love" Some of the best guitar work by John Cippolina. No digital effects, no Midi, no digital sampling; just tube amps, a wah pedal, a couple of analog effects, and a custon-made Gibson SG.

Diegoboy
03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
No James Taylor, Queen, or Bad Company?

longballlumber
03-12-2009, 10:54 AM
What about some Genesis from the Peter Gabriel days, some Allman Brothers Band, Marshal Tucker Band, Traffic, Spencer Davis Group

Great Topic!

Dr. Jet
03-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Traffic! and don't forget the Traffic/Cream spin-off group (and more great guitar from EC): Blind Faith.

Jeff Wohlt
03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
All those were my favories...until Abba came out... LOL.

A few Bands I have seen over the years....the list goes on but can't remember much of the 70s but mostly the 80s!!

Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
uriheep (sp)
Motley Crew
Boston
Styx
Ozark Mountain Dare Devils
Steve Miller band
White Snake
Ted Nugent
Littel River Band

ReddyWatts
03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Z Z Top - Greatest Hits.

egneg
03-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Canned Heat, Buffalo Springfield, Spooky Tooth, and Chicago Transit Authority are a few more!

Apples1
03-12-2009, 03:52 PM
???? music didnt start to get good till the 80's and 90's! :banana:

Flying Scotsman
03-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Apples, you should check into a hospital very quickly. the guys with the white coats are monitoring your musical brain :eek:

I note you like F1 racing and you are an Aussie, you are forgiven

Douggie

Apples1
03-12-2009, 04:12 PM
but how did you use to listen to music back then??? must of been some sort of Grammaphone! :rofl:

Flying Scotsman
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Back in my early days, we had STEREO lps. Shure beats the crap of what you have today :smile:

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
03-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Apples, do not take this the wrong way. I love music and my present audio system copmprises of a Dunlop Systemdek turntable with a highly modified Rega arm, MC , Classe pre amp, Celeste power amp , Rega planet cd player. cambridge tuner. Speakers ask, if you are into music

Douggie

domwilson
03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm gonna break the good ol' boy club....
The Temptations, O'Jays, Glady's Knight & the Pips, Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes, Bar-kays, Average White Band, Heatwave, Parliament and Funkadelic, Thin Lizzy, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Van Halen, The Kinks, David Bowie, Doobie Brothers, Cameo, Gap Band, Commodores, War, Eric Bourdon & the Animals. Should I continue?:cool2:

Flying Scotsman
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm gonna break the good ol' boy club....
The Temptations, O'Jays, Glady's Knight & the Pips, Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes, Bar-kays, Average White Band, Heatwave, Parliament and Funkadelic, Thin Lizzy, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Van Halen, The Kinks, David Bowie, Doobie Brothers, Cameo, Gap Band, Commodores, War, Eric Bourdon & the Animals. Should I continue?:cool2:

Indeed, the Kinks and Bowie and the Animals were great

Douggie

domwilson
03-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Oh and for you guys who forgot your disco shoes....
Ohio Players,
Foreigner,
Foghat,
Rose Royce,
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive. Everybody seems to have a copy of this....

Tom Petty
Sly & the Family Stone.

Flying Scotsman
03-12-2009, 04:59 PM
No disco shoes please, wrong era :beerchug:

Douggie

domwilson
03-12-2009, 05:07 PM
C'mon...I know you still got your silk shirts, bell bottom pants, platform shoes and gold chains in your closet waiting for a revival...:sarcasm1:

Flying Scotsman
03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
C'mon...I know you still got your silk shirts, bell bottom pants, platform shoes and gold chains in your closet waiting for a revival...:sarcasm1:

That is hilarious but the answer is no...I think

Douggie

egneg
03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
but how did you use to listen to music back then??? must of been some sort of Grammaphone! :rofl:

You are not far off as I have this and it still works fine!

domwilson
03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Did anyone mention
Aerosmith,
Deep Purple,
AC/DC
Black Sabbath,
Brothers Johnson
Atlanta Rythm Section
Moody Blues band?

domwilson
03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
That is hilarious but the answer is no...I think

Douggie

Ya Think? You're too funny...

Flying Scotsman
03-12-2009, 05:17 PM
The Moody Blues were Ok but they thought they were poets and did not achieve that status

Douggie

domwilson
03-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Bachman & Turner Overdrive
Jefferson Airplane and Starship
America.
Simon & Garfunkel
Fifth Dimension
Mamas and the Papas
Beetles
Monkeys
Beachboys
Creedance Clearwater Revival.
Iron Butterfly.
The Doors

domwilson
03-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I still listen to all this, but mostly to old R&B and early rap (When it was fun and funny)

Ub Hauled
03-12-2009, 06:05 PM
how can I forget one of the most famous mimic bands of all times...
The Monkeys!

egneg
03-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Mott the Hoople, Iron Butterfly, The Animals, Frigid Pink, and Robin Trower.

domwilson
03-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Steely Dan
Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull
Jackson 5 and All of Motown

Red65
03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
OK, I'M going out on a limb here.:w00t:
The Jackson Five
Donna Summers
Santa Esmeralda
Rozalla
Righteous Brothers
Third World
Voyage

detox
03-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Apples, do not take this the wrong way. I love music and my present audio system copmprises of a Dunlop Systemdek turntable with a highly modified Rega arm, MC , Classe pre amp, Celeste power amp , Rega planet cd player. cambridge tuner. Speakers ask, if you are into music

Douggie

I am interested. Speakers are the most important part of the chain (other than tone controls ). What kind of speakers ?

I have an old pair of Klipsch Forte 2 speakers that kick major booty, Playstation 3 player supports SACD, DVD, CD, BLUERAY, simple Denon two channel AM/FM receiver (I like the LOUDNESS button ON), and Panasonic 37" Plasma TV. OH YEA and Denon turntable with Denon DL160 MC cartridge.

There are too many bands to list, but some of the records I bought BACK THEN:

Allman Brothers
Pink Floyd
BlackSabbath
Bad Company
Uriah Heep
Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Etc....

Music that I am CURRENTLY listening to in my car and home computor:

Dethklok
Strapping Young Lad, City (Canadian band)
King Crimson
Doors
ZZ Top, Tres Ombres
White Stripes, Live DVD

domwilson
03-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Aah...The good old days of vinyl...When you could buy an album for less than five bucks and knew that at least half the songs on it were pretty good. When engineers actually took their time to make a recording sound just right. When you could make a mix tape and no one accused you of pirating.

Eodman
03-13-2009, 09:03 AM
What about -"My friend Johnnie Walker ... Blackie & Red" George Thorogood

egneg
03-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Bee Gees, Barry Manilow, Cher, Leo Sayer, The Village People, and Sha Na Na! :bowdown:

:doh: :sarcasm1: :doh:

Chop
03-13-2009, 09:41 AM
No disco shoes please, wrong era :beerchug:

Douggie

The BEST thing about disco was that the women really dressed up when they went out to dance!:thumbup:
OOOOOOhh they looked good!:thumbup:

domwilson
03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Yes they did!!!:beerchug:

Flying Scotsman
03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Very true...today is another story :tape:

Douggie

domwilson
03-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Heck, I remember when you had to dress up just to go to a dept. store....:doh:
I think women were more fashionable back then. The only things that hung out were those things that struck interest. No belly's or muffin tops back then. The elastic strength of clothing was not being constantly tested. Piercings were limited to the ears. But back to topic.

Cat Stevens.
Alabama
Kansas
Boston
Janis Joplin
Joanie Mitchell
Joan Baez
ELO
Sam Sham and the Pharoahs

Doby
03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Wilson, You're alive....

and Douggie, you did say from the 60's and 70's....so Disco would apply.

domwilson
03-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Yep I'm alive. :spy:
Just been reading the forum alot lately.

domwilson
03-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Bee Gees, Barry Manilow, Cher, Leo Sayer, The Village People, and Sha Na Na! :bowdown:

:doh: :sarcasm1: :doh:

Dude...you forgot Neil Sedaka, Paul Anka, Captain and Tenille.:confused:

Flying Scotsman
03-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Heck, I remember when you had to dress up just to go to a dept. store....:doh:
I think women were more fashionable back then. The only things that hung out were those things that struck interest. No belly's or muffin tops back then. The elastic strength of clothing was not being constantly tested. Piercings were limited to the ears. But back to topic.

Cat Stevens.
Alabama
Kansas
Boston
Janis Joplin
Joanie Mitchell
Joan Baez
ELO
Sam Sham and the Pharoahs

ELO a very interesing choice. I do not think anywone has mentioned Procul Harum and a Whiter Shade of Pale that Hammond organ is awesome. Also Jefferson Airplane and many others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWULu5_nXI

Douggie

egneg
03-13-2009, 05:15 PM
ELO a very interesing choice. I do not think anywone has mentioned Procul Harum and a Whiter Shade of Pale that Hammond organ is awesome. Also Jefferson Airplane and many others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWULu5_nXI

Douggie

Don't forget Emerson, Lake, and Palmer ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAoKvb2EY1k

detox
03-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Or Neal Young: :cool2:

Check out this deathmetal band called Dethklok:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urXOKRSGFqo

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dethklok

Flying Scotsman
03-13-2009, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=detox;78097]I am interested. Speakers are the most important part of the chain (other than tone controls ). What kind of speakers ?

I have an old pair of Klipsch Forte 2 speakers that kick major booty, Playstation 3 player supports SACD, DVD, CD, BLUERAY, simple Denon two channel AM/FM receiver (I like the LOUDNESS button ON), and Panasonic 37" Plasma TV. OH YEA and Denon turntable with Denon DL160 MC cartridge.\

Tone controls are rubbish you are then changing what the sound engineer was trying to achieve and distorting the whole musical picture..Speakers are the voice and mine are
SNELL XA 75 PS. Plus I have a SACD Sony player not impressed . The Rega cd player is way better

Douggie

ReddyWatts
03-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Disco was alive and well in 1977 due to the movie "Saturday Night Fever", with John Travolta.

detox
03-13-2009, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=detox;78097]
Tone controls are rubbish you are then changing what the sound engineer was trying to achieve and distorting the whole musical picture..Speakers are the voice and mine are
Douggie

BS... I have been down that expensive HI FI road. I have also taken that no tone control route, but my ears like the simple and much overlooked and more affordable Denon stuff.

detox
03-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Douggie,
The most well respected amp maker McIntosh uses tone controls on most every pre amp/ integrated amp they make. That should tell you something. Most all recordings need some type of equallization to sound perfect.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/

Flying Scotsman
03-13-2009, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=Flying Scotsman;78234]

BS... I have been down that expensive HI FI road. I have also taken that no tone control route, but my ears like the simple and much overlooked and more affordable Denon stuff.

Denon stuff is OK but not great. What you hear and what I hear are two different stories. Believe me most peoples audio systems have excessive tone control problems and can not listen to their system for more than 15 minutes without audio fatigue.

Douggie

domwilson
03-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Gentlemen. I detect a Bose argument on the horizon. :ThumbsDown01: Audio is subjective. I own alot of equipment myself. And have been spending much time as of late repairing some. Tone controls are designed to compensate for listening room shortcomings, as well as personal preference. Unfortunately, with all the marketing hype, the change in FTC rules for amplifier ratings, bad recording engineering, and MP3's, most people don't really know what Hi-Fi is. As long as it has lot's of bass and too much treble they are content. I have speakers from ESS, Magnepan, Advent, Kenwood, Radio Shack, SRS Labs, Wharfedale, Boston Acoustics, etc. My favorites are a pair I designed and built (Transmission line MTM's)to my musical taste powered by an old pioneer SX-450 receiver. Bottom line is, what ever makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else (hearing).

egneg
03-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Notice any resemblance?

Flying Scotsman
03-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Dom, you are on the button. The maggies are a great speaker, their bass voice was not great. I owned a pair.

Douggie

egneg
03-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Gentlemen. I detect a Bose argument on the horizon. :ThumbsDown01: Audio is subjective. I own alot of equipment myself. And have been spending much time as of late repairing some. Tone controls are designed to compensate for listening room shortcomings, as well as personal preference. Unfortunately, with all the marketing hype, the change in FTC rules for amplifier ratings, bad recording engineering, and MP3's, most people don't really know what Hi-Fi is. As long as it has lot's of bass and too much treble they are content. I have speakers from ESS, Magnepan, Advent, Kenwood, Radio Shack, SRS Labs, Wharfedale, Boston Acoustics, etc. My favorites are a pair I designed and built (Transmission line MTM's)to my musical taste powered by an old pioneer SX-450 receiver. Bottom line is, what ever makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else (hearing).

Back in the 60's my parents had an RCA Victor stereo with a tube amp that was a huge piece of furnature. I wish it still was around as the sound was better than anything around now.

Flying Scotsman
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Tubes/Valves...awesome sound.. just ask some musicians

Douggie

egneg
03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
That's because the old vacuum tubes could handle a lot more power than transistors.

domwilson
03-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Actually, Vacuum tubes are generally lower powered. But they do offer what is called "soft clipping". I used to have a bogen and a H.H. Scott tube amps. The sound was warm and smooth. As I recall, the instruments sounded more detailed compared to my higher powered transistor amp at that time. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and Ramsey Lewis's "Sun Goddess" albums sounded frightenly realistic. Scarey if you're not expecting the vocals.

domwilson
03-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Dom, you are on the button. The maggies are a great speaker, their bass voice was not great. I owned a pair.

Douggie

True. Tried a few different speaker placements, crossover filters and subs with them. Ended up with a Realistic sub with a woofer replacement. Fits the need.

Red65
03-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Disco was alive and well in 1977 due to the movie "Saturday Night Fever", with John Travolta.
I agree

A Survey: The First DISCO Song / Record!

The FIRST DISCO SONG...

The term "DISCO" was loved by many in the seventies, it was a reference to a style of music that was played in the Night Clubs. They, in turn became known affectionately as "DISCOS", as in "I'm going to the DISCO" It was there that we heard "DISCO Music". Soon those who didn't know how to dance started an anti-DISCO movement, as in DISCO SUCKS! That is another story all together. The Term "DISCO" is today like a sexually transmitted disease, no-one wants anything to do with it.

But when did DISCO actually start? What was the FIRST DISCO record? Who was the first DISCO GROUP? Well, I hope to shed some light on this. While there have been "DISCOTEHQUES" in Europe since before World War II, in Paris , today's "DISCOS" started being called that in the early seventies. DISCO music was what changed them from Night Clubs . The music itself caused the TERM to be applied to the locations as well. BUT....

Is there ONE song that changed everything? ONE song that started "DISCO"? Probably not just ONE song, but for arguments sake, I tried to find it. The FIRST song that was termed DISCO. Before it, the music played was called SOUL or R&B. After this one song, DISCO MUSIC or DISCO became the term to which the dance music was being referred to. There isn't just ONE song, no. But I asked 1,200 deejays from that DISCO era to give me their earliest recollections, and I took them down, made a list of their responses. Soon I had a list of over one-hundred and sixty-five songs!! The ones that were mentioned most often, credited for the beginning of DISCO, are now listed below.

Some deejays put titles like "Dancin in the streets" by Martha Reeves and The Vandellas from 1964 as the first. WRONG! That was SOUL / R & B / MOTOWN, not DISCO. That wasn't the song that gave us the TERM! Others credited SANTANA and "Black Magic Woman/Evil Ways". WRONG again. That was "Dance-able Rock", it too, didn't start the DISCO movement. A lot of Stevie Wonder's work was mentioned, but alas, that too was MOTOWN, and did not start the DISCO explosion.

It was close, the top three songs listed were all mentioned by over 75 percent of those who responded to my survey. There are some BIG surprises on the list. Even bigger surprises as to who is NOT on the list. No Bee Gees, or DISCO INFERNO. Is this "fool proof", no, but it does give us a very good idea of the music that started the DISCO movement.

Here you have them, the TWENTY-FIVE FIRST SONGS OF DISCO! (In reverse order)

#25- "FRANKENSTEIN" by The EDGAR WINTER GROUP- 25 percent
#24- "Mr. BIG STUFF" by JEAN KNIGHT-27 percent
#23- "LET'S GET IT TOGETHER" by EL COCO-30 percent
#22- "JUNGLE BOOGIE/HOLLYWOOD SWINGIN" by KOOL AND THE GANG-33 percent
#21- "BALL OF CONFUSION" by THE TEMPTATIONS-35 percent
#20- "ROCK THE BOAT" by THE HUES CORPORATION-45 percent
#19- "VENUS" by The SHOCKING BLUE-45 percent
#18- "PILLOW TALK" by SYLVIA-45 percent
#17- "LOOK ME UP" by BLUE MAGIC-45 percent
#16- "LOVE'S THEME" by The LOVE UNLIMITED ORCHESTRA-46 percent
#15- "DANCE TO THE MUSIC" by SLY STONE-47 percent
#14- "I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE" by BARRY WHITE-48 percent
#13- "THE LOVE I LOST/BAD LUCK" by HAROLD MELVIN and THE BLUE NOTES-50 percent
#12- "KEEP ON TRUCKIN' / BOOGIE DOWN / DATE WITH THE RAIN" by EDDIE KENDRICKS-50 percent
#11- "SPANISH HARLEM" by ARETHA FRANKLIN-52 percent
#10- "ARMED AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS / NEWSY NEIGHBORS" by The FIRST CHOICE-53 percent
#9- "IN THE SUMMERTIME" by MUNGO JERRY-54 percent
#8- "THEME FROM SHAFT" by ISSAC HAYES-59 percent
#7- " LOVE TRAIN" by The O'JAYS-60 percent
#6- " LET'S GET IT ON" by MARVIN GAYE-60 percent
#5- "WANT ADS" by HONEY CONE-60 percent
#4- "JUNGLE FEVER" by The CHAKACHAS-70 percent
#3- "FREDDIE'S DEAD / SUPERFLY" by CURTIS MAYFIELD-75 percent
#2- "CISCO KID / ME AND BABY BROTHER / SPILL THE WINE" by WAR-80 percent
#1- "ZING WENT THE STRINGS OF MY HEART" by THE TRAMMPS-90 percent

There it is, the best that I could do. Gives us a lot to talk about doesn't it!
http://www.discomusic.com/101-more/12972_0_7_0_C65/

detox
03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Notice any resemblance?

Of course. That is why I mention him...Neal Young.

TUBES...Some New Old Stock Mullard tubes sound nice. These current made Chinese tube amps can sound too bright. Especially my ASL integrated with new chinese tubes...which I recently sold. The old SCOTT integrated amps (early 1960's era) with Tone Controlls were some of the best sounding amps (they used Mullards).

I know what listening Fatique is...been there done that. Which is why I currently own an a B&K and Denon amp.

domwilson
03-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Man, I feel old. I remember all these songs. From what I remember, 1969-1974 Good music but everyone was too stoned to dance or couldn't. Then a new dance came out called "The Bump" that anyone with a hip could do. At that same time, 3 songs came out which got people up on the dance floor. The Hue Corporation -Rock the Boat, Kool & the Gang - Jungle Boogie, and The Ohio Players - Skin Tight which was followed up with Fire. Then everything got a little strange when The Hustle came out. Then the flamboyancy and the "Disco Danny's" made alot of people not want to dance.

domwilson
03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Of course. That is why I mention him...Neal Young.

TUBES...Some New Old Stock Mullard tubes sound nice. These current made Chinese tube amps can sound too bright. Especially my ASL integrated with new chinese tubes...which I recently sold. The old SCOTT integrated amps (early 1960's era) with Tone Controlls were some of the best sounding amps...they say.

I know what listening Fatique is...been there done that. Which is why I currently own B&K and Denon amps.

For those who don't know what listener fatigue is. Listen to music from an A.M. radio for awhile. When it starts to drive you nuts, report back here and let us know your experience.

domwilson
03-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Oh yeah. Another good album...
Steely Dan - Aja.

Flying Scotsman
03-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I love this discussion. In my humble :olleyes: opinion listener fatigue is caused by a very bright/ treble accentuation caused by making the wrong choices in equipment. Most people buy equipment that demands their initial attention in sound but generaly the worst enviroment...big box electronic stores. The bass and treble in most of these demos are exagerated beyond belief. You take it home and you are very disappointed with the sound..boomy bass and bright treble. Tone controls on QUALITY equipment can help but not mask the original problems. Choose the source first...CD/Phono...then speakers...then an amplifyer that is suited to drive the speakers and bring out the best sound possible from your other equipment. The best place to audition and buy equipment is at an audio store.

Douggie

domwilson
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I think the consumer hi-fi market has taken cues from our government. Promise everything and deliver little to nothing. There is alot of hype from alot of manufacturers claiming that their equipment does this or that. That you'll see angels and their equipment promises world peace. Alot of people don't really know what hi-fi is, so they rely on the marketing hype. I recently went to one of those "Big Chain Stores" to evaluate some speakers. I was impressed by some small speakers and their deep bass. Not boomy, but deep and tight. Found the store had wired a sub to the speaker selector for all the small speakers. Turned the sub off and got a real listen to the crap they were trying to push. I was so tramatized!:crying:

domwilson
03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I love this discussion. In my humble :olleyes: opinion listener fatigue is caused by a very bright/ treble accentuation caused by making the wrong choices in equipment. Most people buy equipment that demands their initial attention in sound but generaly the worst enviroment...big box electronic stores. The bass and treble in most of these demos are exagerated beyond belief. You take it home and you are very disappointed with the sound..boomy bass and bright treble. Tone controls on QUALITY equipment can help but not mask the original problems. Choose the source first...CD/Phono...then speakers...then an amplifyer that is suited to drive the speakers and bring out the best sound possible from your other equipment. The best place to audition and buy equipment is at an audio store.

Douggie

You're right. Listener fatigue comes from various types of distortions (Harmonic, intermodulation, phase, etc.) and from the addition or subtration of sound not present in the original recording. Our brains pick that kind of stuff up.

Oh yeah...Just got done listening to Cat Stevens - Peace Train.

EPower
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Please lets not forget Pink Floyd :buttrock::buttrock:

detox
03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Choose the source first...CD/Phono...then speakers...then an amplifyer that is suited to drive the speakers and bring out the best sound possible from your other equipment.
Douggie

Wrong:doh: Speakers first...then amplifier (with tone controls)...because every recording studio uses a different sounding playback system... thus for every CD needs some type of equallization because of.

Flying Scotsman
03-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Wrong:doh: Speakers first...then amplifier (with tone controls)...because every recording studio uses a different sounding playback system... thus for every CD needs some type of equallization because of.

Detox with all respect, you really have it all wrong. Source first and end of question !!! what is your source??

detox
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
My source is my ears...Douggie! You have fallen pray to that misleading Streophile magazine garbage. They want to confuse you so you will keep buying............ The answer is so simple.

Flying Scotsman
03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
My source is my ears...Douggie! You have fallen pray to that misleading Streophile magazine garbage. They want to confuse you so you will keep buying............ The answer is so simple.

Their is some validity to that answer. But what is your source. cd..phono..???
if it is an Ipod or simillar piece of crap do not answer.

Douggie

detox
03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
You got me...I have to answer this one. My listening system consists of Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home speakers, Sony SACD 333ES and Denon turntable with MC 160 cartidge, Denon DRA 37 AM/FM receiver (only about 30 watts per channel).

Flying Scotsman
03-16-2009, 10:33 PM
A great system, change out the receiver and replace it with if you can afford it a seperate amp and tuner. Plus watts per channel mean nothing...in fact..those that claim high watts are usually rubbish

Douggie

domwilson
03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
It's in the mind, man....In the mind.
The advertisers are eating my brain!:confused1:

domwilson
03-16-2009, 10:42 PM
A great system, change out the receiver and replace it with if you can afford it a seperate amp and tuner. Plus watts per channel mean nothing...in fact..those that claim high watts are usually rubbish

Douggie

The FTC rating for audio amplifiers have changed. It's no longer stated with all channels driven. They don't even have to give a power bandwidth anymore. Some manufacturers (Like Nad) are trying to get them to adopt a standard which will be useable by the consumer once again. Until then, equipment from 1997 back to 1974 go by the "old" but better rating system.

detox
03-16-2009, 10:47 PM
A great system, change out the receiver and replace it with if you can afford it a seperate amp and tuner.
Douggie

Rubbish...I have B&K seperate. Try the $300.00 Denon...if you do not like simply return it. Most places have a 30 day return policy.

domwilson
03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
That's another debate. As a owner of both, I'm neutral. It's all up to the individual. He is the one who has to live with his purchase. But if the manufacturer is "Soundesign" then you may draw some stares.

Donna Summer
John Cougar Mellencamp
Billy Idol.

Flying Scotsman
03-16-2009, 11:03 PM
The FTC rating for audio amplifiers have changed. It's no longer stated with all channels driven. They don't even have to give a power bandwidth anymore. Some manufacturers (Like Nad) are trying to get them to adopt a standard which will be useable by the consumer once again. Until then, equipment from 1997 back to 1974 go by the "old" but better rating system.

This is the sad part. Dumb consumers buy product on hype. My son bought a .....42" LCD TV...four years ago at a cost of $2,500 It failed 2 weeks ago. My Sony XBR CRT 34" is working great...6 years old... and on high definition my son's wife's states why does our new LCD not look as good in picture quuality as Douggie's and we spent another $2,900?

Douggie

domwilson
03-16-2009, 11:11 PM
A friend and I have done a comparison of HD vs Standard. On smaller screens, not much of an improvement. On larger screens, it's noticeable. But I have read, That it is part truth and part hype.
I have 37" LCD (small screen by today's standards) and I don't notice much of a difference. Besides, shouldn't we be outside boating, protesting or something?

domwilson
03-16-2009, 11:16 PM
This is the sad part. Dumb consumers buy product on hype. My son bought a .....42" LCD TV...four years ago at a cost of $2,500 It failed 2 weeks ago. My Sony XBR CRT 34" is working great...6 years old... and on high definition my son's wife's states why does our new LCD not look as good in picture quuality as Douggie's and we spent another $2,900?

Douggie

A famous manufacturer knows this. I won't mention their name but they have the letters b.o.s.e in their name.
That's how they can get people to buy a table radio for $500 bucks and not admit that they've been conned.

Flying Scotsman
03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
A famous manufacturer knows this. I won't mention their name but they have the letters b.o.s.e in their name.
That's how they can get people to buy a table radio for $500 bucks and not admit that they've been conned.

Bose, is the worst sound system you could ever buy end of story.

Douggie

domwilson
03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
You have to admit that they do have one hell of a marketing dept.
They have the philosophy that if you mis-inform someone. Make them feel that alot of others are happy doing the same thing, You can separate them from their wallets.

domwilson
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Nobody on this one today? I like the discussion of music and the equipment.

Flying Scotsman
03-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Ok change the format best song of that era ...Mine ..A whiter shade of pale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWULu5_nXI The Hammond organ is still awsesome. and a new version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FmqbpzmJT4&feature=PlayList&p=4BAF5367CAEA582D&playnehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWULu5_nXIxt=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31

domwilson
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Parliament - Tear the roof of the sucka.
Parliament - Flashlight.
Temptations - Papa was a rolling stone.
Peter Frampton - Do you feel like we do.
Doobie Brothers - Black Water.
James Brown - I feel good.

domwilson
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Ok change the format best song of that era ...Mine ..A whiter shade of pale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWULu5_nXI The Hammond organ is still awsesome. and a new version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FmqbpzmJT4&feature=PlayList&p=4BAF5367CAEA582D&playnehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWULu5_nXIxt=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31

Man!!! I forgot all about that song. Good Tunes!!!:iagree:

domwilson
03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQZ6l_cq5Y

egneg
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Spooky Tooth - I am the Walrus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jICiVZ1t_qY&feature=related

domwilson
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Eric Bourdon and War - Spill the Wine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_U-zj2gfE

domwilson
03-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
Steppenwolf - Born to be wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm5DPlNCmtk

Flying Scotsman
03-19-2009, 08:00 PM
A day in a life and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8&feature=related or ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCwCBh0z3Hs

Douggie

Doug Smock
03-19-2009, 09:01 PM
What about the "Motor City Madman" ???
Never Mind............ Jeff remembered!!

detox
03-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQZ6l_cq5Y

In the original song he was actually saying... In The Garden Of Eden

Flying Scotsman
03-19-2009, 09:29 PM
And other the WHO my generation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRs1gKpeGg Watch the druming by the best apart from Ginger Baker
Douggie

Flying Scotsman
03-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Here is one more classic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOWVg0AoHWE&feature=PlayList&p=78EB8FBDAC0F616F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

Xzessperated
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
AC/DC - long way to the top. Complete with Bagpipes, just for you Douggie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxP9fOMLE_8

Next time you feel the urge to leave play this one...

AC/DC - Douggie, Please Don't Go :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOL-fN0P-iM

domwilson
03-20-2009, 01:31 AM
These will stick in your head....Most annoying at times.

The Toys - Lover's Concerto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J3Sx1poK6c

Toni Basil - Mickey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a15HRV0mX0

J Solinger
03-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Heres a name I haven't seen yet, Blue Cheer.

1968 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wCG5JirihQ&feature=related)

2008, (40 yrs later) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78HBfH0vwMM&feature=related)

detox
03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Heres a name I haven't seen yet, Blue Cheer.

I was only Eight years old back in 1968, but I still remember hearing Blue Cheer and LOTS of other verygood bands back then...on AM radio and Robin's Air Force Base bowling alley jukebox.

Flying Scotsman
03-20-2009, 04:50 PM
This one if my favourites ..White Rabbit Jefferson Airplane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quhj6PEboCU

And as a bonus The animals House of the rising sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7jzi9JAkw

And one more ELO Roll over Beethoven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLNR4xfh1Qc

And another Janis Joplin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenV9Din7K4
Douggie

egneg
03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
What about the Spencer Davis Group ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzN0mMx-sJg

or Chicago Transit Authority ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOvGa-8-Lns

Flying Scotsman
03-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Chuck, there is a thread here the Hammond organ

Douggie

domwilson
03-20-2009, 06:51 PM
The Ventures - Tequila
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXBLHTq390k

domwilson
03-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Chuck, there is a thread here the Hammond organ

Douggie

There were alot of good groups that featured the organ across many genres. Those were the days when people actually had to learn how to play instruments first...except The Monkeys..

If you like the sax, here's a good one from a old jazz guy.

John Handy - Hard Work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V19xctHzxYA

Flying Scotsman
03-20-2009, 07:26 PM
On a sad note Captain Ron would have loved this thread..rest in peace Captain

Douggie

domwilson
03-20-2009, 08:11 PM
On a sad note Captain Ron would have loved this thread..rest in peace Captain

Douggie

I didn't know him, personally. Just read some of his posts on the RRR It would have been fun. May he rest in peace.

Flying Scotsman
03-21-2009, 02:39 PM
This is not for the faint of heart ..The Doors...The End

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMK51m64UWE

Douggie

domwilson
03-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Don't forget one of the theme songs from the 60's....

The Turtles - Happy Together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfuRz1w_8ss

It was on of those songs that played over the speakers at Drive-in theaters during intermission.

So was this...
Jean Knight - Mr. Bigstuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwLzDCNoZ8

domwilson
03-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Don't forget this one...

Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs - Wully Bully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHF558u6Q_8

Flying Scotsman
03-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Another one from the poet.....Cohen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrPEM2qc-j8&feature=PlayList&p=6A8F99B9420DB56D&index=0&playnext=1

domwilson
03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
And I offer one of the greatest slow dance songs of the 70's...
Heatwave - Always and Forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veoq02P6dBk

egneg
03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Remember Rolling Stone Magazine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ux3-a9RE1Q

domwilson
03-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Sure do..

Do you remember this guy?
Stevie Wonder - For Once in My Life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxVyaYuGYE

egneg
03-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Sure do..

Do you remember this guy?
Stevie Wonder - For Once in My Life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxVyaYuGYE

Sure do ... he was also in this movie!

AndyKunz
03-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Steve Martin - not a lot of guys around with fingers as fast, plus he did some really good original work on the music side of "The Steve Martin Brothers."

Andy

domwilson
03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Yep Steve Martin is fast and good. I heard he released an album.
This guy is fast and very good with a bass. Whether it be electric or acoustic.

Stanley Clarke - Solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3jT0uaZw0

domwilson
03-31-2009, 01:24 AM
How could we ever forget...

Otis Redding - Try a little tenderness.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=otis+redding&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

domwilson
03-31-2009, 01:35 AM
Stevie Wonder playing the drums...

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=otis+redding&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#q=stevie+wonder+&hl=en&emb=0&start=10