PDA

View Full Version : supervee esc Q

saleens7
06-13-2007, 10:36 PM
does the supervee esc have a low voltage cutoff?

NorthernBoater
06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
It does not.

no stick
06-13-2007, 11:29 PM
does the supervee esc have a low voltage cutoff?

Yes it is 67% of the actual voltage when hooked up to batteries. Check specs of the Great Planes silver series 45 amp with two leads for batteries here:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPSY4&P=SM

Ed

NorthernBoater
06-13-2007, 11:37 PM
67% is to low for LiPos.

saleens7
06-14-2007, 09:10 AM
even if it does have LVC, could i buy one that cuts the batts off when a cell goes under 3.4v?

Steven Vaccaro
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes it is 67% of the actual voltage when hooked up to batteries. Check specs of the Great Planes silver series 45 amp with two leads for batteries here:

Ed

I'm with you on the specs of the esc, but seeing that Grim has said there is no low voltage cutoff, there must be a reason. So I personally wouldn't count on the low voltage cutoff on this boat doing its job.

Steven Vaccaro
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Ed

I'm with you on the specs of the esc, but seeing that Grim has said there is no low voltage cutoff, there must be a reason. So I personally wouldn't count on the low voltage cutoff on this boat doing its job.

no stick
06-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Hobbico, Aquacraft parent company, says the only mod they made to the Great Planes 45 amp ESC was to add waterproofing. Well, there is one setting that can be programmed which is the brake. I'm not that familiar with boats, but this is needed on rc planes: soft brake or no brake (freewheeling) for geared setups and hard brake for say folding propellers. I don't know how you set the brake on the Great Planes one though. I've had experience with the NiMh low voltage cutoff when the SV is dead in the water. After a short resting period the voltage increases and the boat can return to shore.

Ed

Rex R
06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
a while back I started looking for info on the great planes unit...I found a review that had instructions on how to set the brake. the reviewer also had reservations about the lvc being ok for lipos. on the order of, IF the lipo was fully charged you might be safe to depend on the units lvc...he tried it once w/o problems.

saleens7
06-14-2007, 07:04 PM
...actually, ill be running it on 14 IB3600 cells at first, but i was planning on upgrading it to an 8XL and a hydra 120...that has a programmable LVC built in...i was planning on trying the lipos on the origional setup, but maybe ill just wait till i switch out the gear before i try lipos

no stick
06-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Cool. Keep us up to date on your mods. You will love LiPo when you get used to them. I recommend you get a dedicated LiPo charger with balancing. Most LiPos come with balancing taps and the FMA 4s cellpro will charge and balance each LiPo cell individually and will end with equal voltage. They are much lighter, hold voltage longer under load, and are easy to maintain. They do not require a forming charge to balance cells like NiMh do. I've had my SV-27 with most OSE mods using the M-445 balanced, sharpened and polished, using Battlepacks 3600 12-16C 2s wired in parallel to get 7200 mAh and wired into the SV-27 in series to get 14.8 volts nominal at 42MPH on my Garmin Forerunner. It does start to get squirrely at those speeds so I will like to know your progress.:)

Ed

no stick
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
a while back I started looking for info on the great planes unit...I found a review that had instructions on how to set the brake. the reviewer also had reservations about the lvc being ok for lipos. on the order of, IF the lipo was fully charged you might be safe to depend on the units lvc...he tried it once w/o problems.

Hi Rex,

Can you point us to the location of the review?

Tks in advance,

Ed

saleens7
06-14-2007, 08:46 PM
im thinking of using two 6000mah 2s2p maxamps packs...i know people have had problems with maxamps before, but a lot of people who use them now say their second generation packs are much better, and since they are running in parallel, the amp draw of an 8XL would hardly make em break a sweat...they are 100$ per pack, so ill end up paying 200 for batts....

i still got a while to go before the SV will be finished....the motor are still being shipped (thanks for the great deal SJFE)....and i still have to finish the SW36 conversion before i start throwing cash at the SV....i just cant wait to get something running....i have 4 packs of 3600 batts that piranha2 sent me, so maybe i could use those with the SV at first...im still thinking of making a N-2 mono out of it also...although i think i might just buy a bby OM26 for that....i really dont knoe right now, im trying to focus on the SW36, but i keep on wanting to try something different everyday....i mean i have 5 hulls, all of em have some work to them, but arent running (besides the SW26) and one (drifter) hasent even been touched, its just been sitting on top of the toolbench since christmas...