PDA

View Full Version : Hit another USO…more damage…

Capt. Crash
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
...I got the new drive shaft and bearing broke in this weekend…I ran the 40X52/3 prop and put the depth back to factory settings for break in. Max speed was 45.4 mph. I hit a USO (unidentified submerged object) as I was completing lap one. I heard a pop and slowed after the straight and sure enough I had very little rudder control. I figured the rudder was the problem, but I was surprised to find my turn fin in the up position. It had popped the nylon breakaway zip tie and was stuck up against the kick plate. I guess the drag of the curved fin was giving me control problems. I examined the turn fin and it sure enough had a flattened spot on the knife edge. More than likely another turtle shell.

The breakaway system did its job as the fin did not rip out of the back of the sponson and the earlier repairs held up. With no apparent damage I ran her for 6 more miles. When I got home I pulled the drain plug and out came about ½ to ¾ oz of pond water.

Very close inspection found the damage in the photos below. The kick plate may need to be some sort of impact absorbent material. I was surprised that the fin hit the hull hard enough to do that damage…imagine what it would have done without the plate! I’m not sure why the damage to the sponson…maybe it was the shock of the impact…looks like more super glue to me! :tongue_smilie:

Who would paint a boat with the motor still in it? Not me! :doh:

Meniscus
03-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I paint with Saran Wrap inside ;) LMAO!