PDA

View Full Version : World's fastest UL-1 on 8S

properchopper
03-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Pulled trigger & Holy :tape: !! When it came back down to Earth later that day, pulled back in & re-hooked batteries correctly to 4S 2P. Shoulda' seen the look on the gassers' faces ! No damage [ except to my serenity for the moment 'till I pulled the tape , found no smoke & re-wired the way I intended to, parallel, not series !]. Ever happen to you ? :doh:

" Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my Mind the Most " !

Tony

Ub Hauled
03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I saw it and it was incomprehensible! The power that thing was putting out was so weird and spectacular to see! I am glad Tony brought her in for a rewire... fun 10-20 seconds, she took it like a champ!
PS: We still have not found Tony's mind.
;)

properchopper
03-06-2009, 09:14 PM
PS: We still have not found Tony's mind.
;)

I'll check in the laundry room when I go get the undershorts I was wearing today out of the washer !:help:

Darin Jordan
03-06-2009, 11:53 PM
We had two SV27s burn to high-heaven doing exactly the same thing... they were VERY fast for 30-seconds or so...

properchopper
03-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I'll tell 'ya, once I pulled the trigger & the boat went in 7 different directions at the same time, I knew I did something wrong. :eek: Actually I've run the boat before with 2 X 4S 4100's in parallel & it ran great & the weight of the packs was just right without ballast. Having just taken out the 2S packs I simply forgot to wire correctly when inserting the 4S packs. Oy !

sailr
03-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow! I can't believe the motor and ESC held up to 8S without instantly lettin' the smoke out'! You are one lucky boy! The motor/esc combo in the UL-1 and the SV27 are definitely the best part of the boats! You are one lucky boy!

properchopper
03-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Wow! I can't believe the motor and ESC held up to 8S without instantly lettin' the smoke out'! You are one lucky boy! The motor/esc combo in the UL-1 and the SV27 are definitely the best part of the boats! You are one lucky boy!

The throttle-on time only was for 3-4 seconds before I had what might possibly be described as a rather intense " Aha Experience :doh: " The motor wasn't hot, and the SC may have survived because I use an ETTI cap board on all my SC's.

sailr
03-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Tell me more about the ETTI cap board! I've heard about them. Are they made to "blow", thus saving the ESC or what? I've seen Etti makes more than one of them as well. How are they wired in the circuit?

properchopper
03-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Tell me more about the ETTI cap board! I've heard about them. Are they made to "blow", thus saving the ESC or what?

Nope, they just smooth out ripple current.

p1um1oco
03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Pulled trigger & Holy :tape: !! When it came back down to Earth later that day, pulled back in & re-hooked batteries correctly to 4S 2P. Shoulda' seen the look on the gassers' faces ! No damage [ except to my serenity for the moment 'till I pulled the tape , found no smoke & re-wired the way I intended to, parallel, not series !]. Ever happen to you ? :doh:

" Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my Mind the Most " !

Tony

LOL, Tony, I remember doing that same thing in my P offshore down in Arizona last year, no one could believe how fast that boat was moving, brought it in after one lapt to take a look and found out it was 8S1P instead of 4S2P. Damn it was fun but luckily I didn't smoke anything, I probably had 30 seconds of running on that near top speed, it was to difficult to control at full throttle.

-Dave

properchopper
03-07-2009, 02:03 PM
LOL, Tony, I remember doing that same thing in my P offshore down in Arizona last year, no one could believe how fast that boat was moving, brought it in after one lapt to take a look and found out it was 8S1P instead of 4S2P. Damn it was fun but luckily I didn't smoke anything, I probably had 30 seconds of running on that near top speed, it was to difficult to control at full throttle.

-Dave

Yup, I seem to remember. Be seeing you soon Good Buddy :rockon2:

Gen
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
mr propper chopper ,i know this is very old thread but wanted to ask about 4s in parallel as thats how i wa ul1 but there seemed to be a lot of talk about a too heavy nose and the boat being a sub ,now i want to run my 4s 4000 mah but they weigh 16 oz or 476 grams each is 32 oz at front of boat too much ,or is it all about strut adjustment ,,anyone else running 4s parallell??

and will these boats submerge if i go half throttle while turning left for example or will it stay above water ..????

properchopper
01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
mr propper chopper ,i know this is very old thread but wanted to ask about 4s in parallel as thats how i wa ul1 but there seemed to be a lot of talk about a too heavy nose and the boat being a sub ,now i want to run my 4s 4000 mah but they weigh 16 oz or 476 grams each is 32 oz at front of boat too much ,or is it all about strut adjustment ,,anyone else running 4s parallell??

and will these boats submerge if i go half throttle while turning left for example or will it stay above water ..????

Probably will be a little tricky to get on plane, but not impossible. At half throttle the boat'll still be on plane, but Hydros don't like to turn left; they'll climb up on the turn fin & roll ; at least mine do, although I have very little "half throttle" experience.

dana
01-09-2011, 10:57 AM
i watched a guy hook up his mean machine with 1515 1y the same way. we couldnt believe how fast it was on 8s lol

Fluid
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
You were lucky Tony. Below is what happened to one of our club members when he hooked his UL-1 up on 8S power. It sure was fast for about five seconds. BTW the boat ran fine with 4S2P once it was cleaned up with a new ESC.

http://i56.tinypic.com/24q7g3p.jpg

Brushless55
01-09-2011, 11:54 AM
these things are nuts un 5s, and I bet if you could keep them on the water they will run a full race :rockon2:

martin
01-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Will the stock motor take 5s ok & what size esc would you need to go to on 5s. Been looking at getting a UL1. Martin.

m4a1usr
01-09-2011, 03:58 PM
,anyone else running 4s parallell??

I think most of us sport boaters all run 4S2P in the UL1. I have never had any issues with the hull coming up on plane. It just pops right up when you hit the throttle. I dont know what the rules are for the racers that limit weight/power so one of them would have to chime in.

John

Brushless55
01-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Will the stock motor take 5s ok & what size esc would you need to go to on 5s. Been looking at getting a UL1. Martin.

the stock esc and motor will take 5s..
only thing you need to do is run an external bec or battery pack for the receiver

martin
01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
How good (or bad ) is the UL1 as a rtr boat. Looked at them a number of times & was tempted. Martin.

hyrulejedi86
01-09-2011, 05:32 PM
It's amazing as an RTR

I would have loved to of seen a video of that 8s run!

DBQuick
09-05-2011, 03:30 AM
OK I am going to try and run my UL-1 on 2/3S 5400 30c will there be any problems ???????

martin
09-05-2011, 04:17 AM
I assume thats 2 x 3s in series so 6s, Youll burn the esc.

Brushless55
09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
OK I am going to try and run my UL-1 on 2/3S 5400 30c will there be any problems ???????

have you tried setting up the hydro good on 4s first?
you should see low 50's on this first
second running 6s will cook the esc, but 5s is doable with a bec running a smaller prop...

properchopper
09-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Mr. DBQuick, thank you for your interest in the ZSP/WTS? Club (ZoomSplashPlop/What'sThatSmell?). Your application will be processed as soon as you provide confirmation of your terminally innapropriate setup/electronics barbeque.

Thanks,

I. Wannagofaster
:just-kidding: (or am I?)

Namba328
09-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Man i swear if someone could come up with a way to put all the smoke back in to the esc's they'd be a millionare.

Brushless55
09-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Mr. DBQuick, thank you for your interest in the ZSP/WTS? Club (ZoomSplashPlop/What'sThatSmell?). Your application will be processed as soon as you provide confirmation of your terminally innapropriate setup/electronics barbeque.

Thanks,

I. Wannagofaster
:just-kidding: (or am I?)

:lol:

properchopper
09-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Man i swear if someone could come up with a way to put all the smoke back in to the esc's they'd be a millionare.

Better yet, it'd be nice to see someone come up with a way to keep the smoke IN. Heck, we put a man on the moon @ forty years ago !

DBQuick
09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the opportunity to join the greatest club ever I take great pride in this class LOL LOL LOL SMOKE WHO said that

madmorgan
03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
to bad u didnt get that 20 sconds on 8s i bet that was wild