PDA

View Full Version : The web is an interesting place.

Steven Vaccaro
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm searching for where my placement is for some key words and phases for offshoreelectrics today, so I type in "water jacket for neu 1521", this site pops up.

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/d=Neu_1521_Motor_Aluminum_Water_Jacket/

I have no affiliation with this company at all. I see no ads for competing products, so why are they doing this? What am I missing?

Diegoboy
03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
That IS odd. They use your images, prices, and description. At least they direct traffic to your store.
Speaking of OSE jackets, Steven, when will the Feigao 380 Aluminum Water Jacket be in stock? I really need one for my offshore warrior!

egneg
03-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Looks to be similar to price watch or tiger direct - they get paid by sponsors selling other stuff depending on the number of hits.

Steven Vaccaro
03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
That IS odd. They use your images, prices, and description. At least they direct traffic to your store.
Speaking of OSE jackets, Steven, when will the Feigao 380 Aluminum Water Jacket be in stock? I really need one for my offshore warrior!

Shoot me an email from the website.

Steven Vaccaro
03-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Looks to be similar to price watch or tiger direct - they get paid by sponsors selling other stuff depending on the number of hits.

Ah, so they try to gather a ton of products for some cross selling?

Eyekandyboats
03-05-2009, 04:26 PM
its like a store that uses cookies to look for every body's information about selling stuff.
I bet if you click it and go through every thing it will take you right to your website and you will get a order.
like i could type in anything, like Chev silverado cab corner, and some website is selling it but it shows up there,

Eyekandyboats
03-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Okay so you cant order it off that website, it just gives you a hyper link to your website where you can order it from!!!!!
WICKED.

egneg
03-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Ah, so they try to gather a ton of products for some cross selling?

Yes you will notice that there are sponsored listings on the page as well.

Steven Vaccaro
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes you will notice that there are sponsored listings on the page as well.

I see it now. Must be some very cool software to be able to copy all the text and pictures so nicely.

Ub Hauled
03-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Steven, this is all database driven, the database is setup in a way that it gathers information from all the websites it has been pointed to and then it outputs a page that looks like what it was programmed to do... it is cool stuff (from a web developer points of view).
Someone is making money by sending people to your site but ONLY once the transaction is completed on your end. They have ways to get all that information...
I'll send you the person behind the website via PM.