PDA

View Full Version : motor trouble

skipskip
03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
hey guys im puting 2 kershaw design revolver 970 motors in my villain ex and i have it almost ready but when i wire the motors so one will spinn backwords the esc gets real hot and so does the batt wires but if i wire it so the bolth spinn the same direction its fine does any one know why it would be doing this its driving me nuts its so close to being done yet so fare away :help::confused1:

ghostofpf1
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I googled those motors and see a lot of use in e-trucks
Are they set up (timed) correctly to run backwards ??

Steve

skipskip
03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
im not sure it doesnt say it has any time advanced but it may could that cause it to do this
if i wire them bolth backwords they run fine aswell as forward

ReddyWatts
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Is there a diode across the motor terminals? If yes then you will have to reverse it too.

skipskip
03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
nodiodes just 2 resisters do you think if i put a diode on the motors that would help
probably not

Fluid
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Other Revolver motors have some timing advance - 15 degrees in some cases - and from the OP's experience that is most likely his problem. No way to fix it - it isn't worth trying to open the motor and change the timing. These are cheap motors, sell them and buy motors with zero advance, or which can have their timing changed (movable endbell).

skipskip
03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
well that sucks i was wanting the bigest motors i could find but i guess second biggest will have to due
what do u think if i bought new props that bolth spun the same way

Fluid
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
You could do that, but the prop walk with twin steerable outdrives would be......terrible.

calcagno45
03-02-2009, 11:03 PM
What about getting a new hull?

skipskip
03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
well i went with the villain because i have an emaxx with dual 970's so i hought it would be cool to have a matching boat and ive mad a trailer for the boat and painted it to match the truck .so ya thats why ive spent all this time on a villain and i thought they were a good boat but after joining this forium i see that its not so next project is a mm you guys seem to think it's da sh@# and you know more about boats than i do so ill give it a shot the villain is my first boat lots of truck and 1 boat

skipskip
03-03-2009, 07:34 PM
whats prop walk do anyway does your boat just spin out or drift to one side i do have turn fins along with brass props and upgraded u joint

skipskip
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
last night i poped the can on one of the 970's there wasn't anything on tv so you know the motors are cheap and not worth the hassel of selling so anyway i got one to spinn backwards and the other to go forward and they SOUND like there at the same rpm but only one way to find out
thanx for all your guys help i wouldn't have thought i was motor timing i thought it was a big a@# motor and stock esc