PDA

View Full Version : Beware..or you'll strip the motor mount bolt holes.

Capt. Crash
02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I know I said this before, about stripping a bolt hole, but I stripped out the other motor mount bolt hole last night while replacing the coupler with an upgraded Kintec one. These are the allen bolts that hold the motor to the mount...not the screws that hold the mount to the hull. The aluminum motor housing is very soft and the threads are very fine making it real easy to over tighten and strip out. I ended up replacing the stock bolts with 6/32x1/4" allen bolts. They threaded themselves right through the mount and into the motor housing with no problem and you can actually snug them up without stripping them out.

I'm also replacing the stock shaft and strut bushing with OSE Octura and Speedmaster parts after seeing/hearing the vibration on the test stand when I goose the throttle.

I also notice the Teflon liner is spinning in the stuffing tube....is that normal, or a problem? How do I fix it if I need to? I have stock replacement liner...should I go ahead and replace it too? :confused2:

properchopper
02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I know I said this before, about stripping a bolt hole, but I stripped out the other motor mount bolt hole last night while replacing the coupler with an upgraded Kintec one. These are the allen bolts that hold the motor to the mount...not the screws that hold the mount to the hull. The aluminum motor housing is very soft and the threads are very fine making it real easy to over tighten and strip out. I ended up replacing the stock bolts with 6/32x1/4" allen bolts. They threaded themselves right through the mount and into the motor housing with no problem and you can actually snug them up without stripping them out.

I'm also replacing the stock shaft and strut bushing with OSE Octura and Speedmaster parts after seeing/hearing the vibration on the test stand when I goose the throttle.

I also notice the Teflon liner is spinning in the stuffing tube....is that normal, or a problem? How do I fix it if I need to? I have stock replacement liner...should I go ahead and replace it too? :confused2:

My experience as well. One bolt was stripped upon receipt & I stripped the other one by tightening it. Re-tapped larger & replaced with bigger bolts. Be careful not to use bolts that are too long & contact the motor innards, BTW.

Good call on the shaft & bushing. The Octura also is less "twisty" & winds / unwinds less.

My liner seems to spin as well; haven't addressed that issue yet. Still thinking....

Kfoss1
03-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I`ve used fuel tubing "if you can find some that will fit" or shrink tubing to stop the liner from spinning with good results.:thumbup1:

Capt. Crash
03-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I`ve used fuel tubing "if you can find some that will fit" or shrink tubing to stop the liner from spinning with good results.:thumbup1:

If you mean slipping it over the stuffing tube/liner behind the coupler...that is a great idea...I was going to try tape. :iagree:

properchopper
03-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the reminder ! I was just packing up for the lake & forgot to do this ! :doh:

properchopper
03-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Done !

Flying Scotsman
03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Interesting Tony, you installed the ETI caps. Any comments?

Douggie

detox
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
He's hoping caps will prevent premature Low Voltage Cutoff.

properchopper
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Interesting Tony, you installed the ETI caps. Any comments?

Douggie

Long answer; grap a smoke & coke ! Turns out that a boat [ Titan 29 I set up for LSO with UL-1 power - 4 min. races] was cutting off way early. Thought the caps would prevent premature downspikes below LVC threshold, which is non adjustable. Ordered two cap boards. Found the prob was the 4mm connectors would melt the solder link between SC & motor. Happened to me at the Nat's & I shoulda' known better ! Replaced with 5mm like I should have done in the first place. The cap board will probably help in theory anyway. Put the other cap board on the UL-1 just for insurance as well. Hate to hit the LVC during a heat !

Tony

VKGT
03-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Link please!