PDA

View Full Version : Vertical fins?

Jman
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi,
I am offshore at work right now or I would just test this for my self. I was just wondering if the vertical fins are for looks or do they actually do something. I think the boat looks good without them.
Jackson

JimClark
02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
On the unlimited lights the class of boat the UL-1 is patterned of they were added for advertising

Jman
02-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Well I don't need to advertise so I guess I can take them off.

sailr
02-19-2009, 09:51 AM
took mine off. Just something else to lose in the lake :-)

jantagg
02-19-2009, 11:18 PM
The first person to put a tail on a race boat was my Dad, back in the late 30's. He did it so that other boat could see him in the turns. It is the same today, a boat with a tail is easer to see on the back stetch.

sailr
02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Fascinating! I always thought they were for lateral stability! Haha!

The first person to put a tail on a race boat was my Dad, back in the late 30's. He did it so that other boat could see him in the turns. It is the same today, a boat with a tail is easer to see on the back stetch.

sailr
02-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Here's mine without the fins!

Fluid
02-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Sailr, I really like that dual tone look! :rockon2:

sailr
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks. I just always have to be different. There are 6 or 7 of us in our group that have the UL-1's now. Had to distinguish mine from the rest. I know of at least one of the other guys who has the red hull and he painted his hatch silver. Really pretty!

Capt. Crash
02-23-2009, 08:19 AM
sailr boat that looks cool...but I personally like the fins....I did have to retrieve them after a end over end...no big deal, but they remind me of a F-14 Tomcat.

sailr
02-23-2009, 10:03 AM
I don't mind the looks of the fins...really! It's just one more thing to come off or break. Yesterday, we were running our UL-1's. One of the guys, with fins, decided to use some better tape to hold his on. The result was that when the fin came off, it broke it up too badly to use again. I just cut my losses up front. I DO think the fins look good though!

Capt. Crash
02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Bummer on the broken fins. Mine are held down by double sided tape only; however I did have to double up on the tape to get it to hold. They stay on very well with out the external tape. I even hit a buoy and only lost the cockpit. They need to have some give...that is the way it's designed...so stuff won't get broke in a wreck...works good too! :rockon2:

properchopper
02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I just did a "sink" test on the fins. Dropped in water, they will trap an air bubble & float. Held under, the air will escape & they sink. A little balsa or foam insulation will cure this. Mine are off for now; I don't like the look of tape holding them on anyway.