PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts may consider a mileage charge

RCprince
02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/nation_world/20090217_ap_massachusettsmayconsideramileagecharge .html

GLEN JOHNSON

The Associated Press

BOSTON - A tentative plan to overhaul Massachusetts' transportation system by using GPS chips to charge motorists a quarter-cent for every mile behind the wheel has angered some drivers.

"It's outrageous, it's kind of Orwellian, Big Brotherish," said Sen. Scott Brown, R-Wrentham, who drafted legislation last week to prohibit the practice. "You'd need a whole new department of cronies just to keep track of it."

But a "Vehicle Miles Traveled" program like the one the governor may unveil this week has already been tested , with positive results , in Oregon.

It's Coming America, Turn off ABCBSNBCFOX... and Seek the truth! Shoot it's already here!

Dr. Jet
02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
George Orwell was right! Now, not only can Big Brother track your mileage, he can track where you go, and when you go there.

Where will this lead? Do you think politicians will want to regulate our behavior even more than they already do?

I can see it now......

"Mr. Jones, you were not authorized to go to the grocery store on Tuesday evening......."

We're screwed!

Steven Vaccaro
02-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Its all the buzz over hear. This governor we have is a boop!

I'll be moving if that crap happens!

Flying Scotsman
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Boy oh boy, what a bunch of tax grabbing idiots. So a car manufacturer has to install a GPS system revelant to a certain state, at what cost? Manufacturers can not supply vehicles for state specific needs unless you are California which has a huge population and can demand that all vehicles sold in the USA meet their requirements
Easy solution increase the fuel tax for that state

Douggie

Eyekandyboats
02-19-2009, 12:55 PM
i <3 Canada
:)

Flying Scotsman
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Now Taylor, you are being a nasty little boy! English text please, if you have that capacity?
Taylor, you have upset Douggie, Dougie And Dolly

What is your personality?

Bill-SOCAL
02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Everybody already pays this, but we just do not realize it. Here in California the total tax per gallon of gasoline comes to 85.5 cents per gallon. Federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon. California tax is 67.1 cents per gallon.

So, in my F-150 with an average of 16 mpg I pay 5.34 cents per mile driven in taxes.
With my wife's car at 20 mpg we pay 4.275 cents per mile.

California just voted down an additional 12 cent per gallon gas tax as part of the budget compromise. Over all that would have cost me an additional $500 per based on the miles we drive each year. Happily that did not make it into the spending bill.

When gas was $4.75 a gallon I started looking at the cost per mile in gas. Maybe that is something to do in general.

At 16 mpg I use 0.0625 gallons per mile. At the $2.399 I paid yesterday that is 15 cents per mile in just gas. When it was $4.75 it was 29.7 cents per mile.

Sadly, we are now in an fiscal climate where we will pay more and get less.

Steven Vaccaro
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Everybody already pays this, but we just do not realize it. Here in California the total tax per gallon of gasoline comes to 85.5 cents per gallon. Federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon. California tax is 67.1 cents per gallon.

So, in my F-150 with an average of 16 mpg I pay 5.34 cents per mile driven in taxes.
With my wife's car at 20 mpg we pay 4.275 cents per mile.

California just voted down an additional 12 cent per gallon gas tax as part of the budget compromise. Over all that would have cost me an additional $500 per based on the miles we drive each year. Happily that did not make it into the spending bill.

When gas was $4.75 a gallon I started looking at the cost per mile in gas. Maybe that is something to do in general.

At 16 mpg I use 0.0625 gallons per mile. At the $2.399 I paid yesterday that is 15 cents per mile in just gas. When it was $4.75 it was 29.7 cents per mile.

Sadly, we are now in an fiscal climate where we will pay more and get less.

Bill believe me!!! I realize it. What he has proposed is on top of our gas tax. The current gas tax is about .23 per gallon. He wants to add another .27 cents to it, to bring it to a total of .50 or so cents a gallon.

Our wonderful governor and the pres are both spenders, they also like to share the same speeches once in a while! :doh: Left, right, middle, all these current politicians S(*&^k!
Time to vote out every incumbent, no matter what side out and start over! :thumbup1:

Apples1
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
How may Gallons to the litre? or should i say Litres to the Gallon? We pay $1.33 per litre and around 80% is different taxes ( not sure about the 80%, might a little more) it generally cost my company $100 do do around 600Km How does this compare with you guys?

Bill-SOCAL
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
3.785 liters = 1 gallon

Flying Scotsman
02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
3.785 liters = 1 gallon

US or Imperial gallon:smile: and Taylor you can answer in text form

Douggie

Bill-SOCAL
02-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Since I live in Amur-a-kah all I care about is good 'Ol US of A gallons!!!

Canadians!? Always acting like they are so worldly!! And don't get me started on the Scottich. Nice little terriers, and I like that whisky stuff just fine, but that's about it. Can't even understand what the heck you're saying most of the time!!

Robin WIlliams has it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_OmnP527Dw

Dr. Jet
02-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Time to vote out every incumbent, no matter what side out and start over! :thumbup1:

Excellent idea! Dont forget to vote in term limits as well.

Bill-SOCAL
02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Like that would do any good. Remember the immortal words of the Who:

Meet the new Boss, Same as the old Boss

Don't get fooled again!!!

RCprince
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Excellent idea! Dont forget to vote in term limits as well.

I said that for years, but people are afraid. I called it Operation Clorox

egneg
02-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I always vote against the incumbents. Some day politicians might figure out that folks hold them to their campaign promises.

Steven Vaccaro
02-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Like that would do any good. Remember the immortal words of the Who:

Meet the new Boss, Same as the old Boss

Don't get fooled again!!!

Bill the network must be broken. There are far too many favors that need to be repaid with these current guys. One great example of "favors" that have been repaid is the whole O cabinet.

Bill-SOCAL
02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Exactly my point.

The two parties are the two sides of the same coin. Some of use prefer the "heads" side some the "tails" side but in the end the differences are not all that great.

Bill-SOCAL
02-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, it looks like the idea of charging per mile driven has reached the Federal level.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/20/mileage-tax-considered-by_n_168506.html

And the interesting thing is that La Hood is a Republican. So are the Governors of Rhode Island, Idaho, and South Carolina mentioned in the story.

You say pa-tay-toe
I say pa-ta-toe

Really the same thing in the end.

Steven Vaccaro
02-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Exactly my point.

The two parties are the two sides of the same coin. Some of use prefer the "heads" side some the "tails" side but in the end the differences are not all that great.

Only the same side of the coin when it comes to corruption.

NorthernBoater
02-21-2009, 12:18 AM
If they started putting this in new cars it would just give more incentive to buy used cars that do not have this in them.

NativePaul
02-21-2009, 06:19 AM
I knew they were smaller but I didn't realise how small US gallons are compared to imperial gallons, there's 4.5 litres to the imp gallon. Round here petrol is about 89 pence per litre or $4.95usd per US gallon, last summer before the economy crashed it was £1.26 / litre or about $10 / US gallon, the price is quite high and I believe about 90% is tax which is very high, but its a much fairer tax than paying per mile and encourages us to run more economical cars, I don' t know anyone that runs a 16mpg car, last year our town started introducing a new fleet of buses that are getting 23mpg or 19.7mpUSg. I don't like the idea of paying per mile, but if they have to, there has to be better ways of doing it than getting all big brother with GPS devices, over here our cars have to take a roadworthness check called a MOT by a government endorsed garage and one of the things they do is note the mileage on the MOT certificate to stop people clocking cars before sale, do you have something similar in the USofA? if so they could easily take the mileage done per year from that instead of spying on you (unless that was what they were after in the first place)

Jeff Wohlt
02-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I read where the issue is dead. Omama will not have anything to do with it.

AndyKunz
02-21-2009, 02:30 PM
over here our cars have to take a roadworthness check called a MOT by a government endorsed garage and one of the things they do is note the mileage on the MOT certificate to stop people clocking cars before sale, do you have something similar in the USofA?

Most states have annual (or so, New Jersey recently changed to 2-year intervals) safety inspections. They check mileage, safety features such as brakes and tires, and emissions.

Andy

Jeff Wohlt
02-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Missouri has the same...1 or 2 yr inspections.

You will not see this bill come to life. We already pay plenty in road taxes in your gas...both state and federal. States can increase the tax on gas but it would need voter approval. It would also have sunset clause to it...5 yrs, etc. They also must tell you where and what the money will do. We have one here and it is for MODOT to improve more roads.

Now we get stimulus money and MODOT already has their billion planned for...go figure.

Stimulus money is a bad thing. Might help the states now but it will have to be paid at some time. Digs us out for now...typical of U.S. people. Fix now worry later.

Steven Vaccaro
02-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Funny, every economist in the country is saying that we are in this bind because the US citizen is just to far in debt, So the feds go out and borrow money to pay for "stimulus". Does anyone else see an issue with this? :doh::cursing::ThumbsDown01:

tylerm
02-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Shows the difference internationally, over here in NZ new cars have to have a WOF(warrant of fitness) yearly, and older cars(can't remember how old) have to have a WOF every 6 months. NZ roads are pretty notorious for crashes though, our roads are very winding compared to say Aussie roads.

Simon.O.
02-21-2009, 05:12 PM
We have two types of road tax.
Petrol has the road tax in the pump price
Diesel (me) has an charge based on mileage. I buy 10000km and when it is used up I buy more. This gets checked by officers at roadside checkpoints.

Tyler mentioned our roads, I will agree some of them are challenging to drive on and some are poorly laid out but there is no such thing as a dangerous road, just idiot drivers. I get to cut these knobs out of cars when they run out of skill at a critical moment.
Don't get me started on Auckland drivers :cursing:

tylerm
02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Don't get me started on Auckland drivers :cursing:

Bloody Jafa's!!!:roflol: