PDA

View Full Version : Neptune ribs

Returntohome
08-04-2023, 02:43 AM
I used a fibre glass hull of ebay and scratch built this rib. Then built another of my outboards for it ,but this time a Suzuki .

Returntohome
08-04-2023, 02:51 AM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=6woEvi-ORrQ&feature=share7
Please leave a comment on You Tube.

Returntohome
08-04-2023, 01:19 PM
Three prop drive and the far one is jet drive with aluminium impeller. The props version has an oil filled gearbox, I use 6s and 4074 or 4082 msq motors.

Panchothedog
08-04-2023, 07:25 PM
Very nice job. Both the video and the #5 still photo. Hard to tell in that one if it's your model or a real full sized boat. Very realistic.

Returntohome
08-05-2023, 01:33 AM
https://youtu.be/72qbB2xfHD8
Thanks , funny that's the picture I use as my screen saver on the PC. Above is my latest film, I try to keep them coming regularly, so building my subscribers list.
It all started with a monoskier which my clubmates said would never work, but I kept printing new foils tweaking the shape then one day she popped up and skied, there were a few open mouths.
Then came kneeboarding and now wake boarding . Of course I had to have a good ski boat and engine, both developed with my newly acquired 3d printer and the skills to draw the files.

fweasel
08-05-2023, 08:41 PM
so cool

Returntohome
08-07-2023, 02:39 AM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=72qbB2xfHD8&feature=share7

Returntohome
10-11-2023, 02:15 AM
178028Neptune ribs in Ireland
Finally managed to finish a nice cowl for the outboard on the Neptune rib.

Returntohome
10-17-2023, 02:00 AM
178039Moving on
We have put our house up for sale and put a deposit down on a brand new build. It is detached with an integral garage, so that can be for storage.
It's an hours drive from the boat club and where we live now, but it will be so nice to get into the countryside , it's on the outskirts of a lovely market town called Bedale. We will be close to the Yorkshire dales and the Yorkshire coast, my son and his wife live in Bedale and asked us to move nearer, how could we say no. So I am searching the Web for a workshop to put in the garden, but I want it to be nice feature and look more like a garden room/cabin.

srislash
10-17-2023, 09:30 AM
Best wines for the new location. It is so nice to get away from the busy life and all the goings on. We moved from ‘the burbs’ 3 years ago and no regrets.

Shawn

Returntohome
11-01-2023, 12:41 AM
Neptune 2 rib
For a moment I wondered what I was doing next now the f1 is finished, then I noticed the hull under the bench, ah Neptune number 2. So after lots of searching on the computer I have most of the files collected, I never learn. Anyway a 12 hour print yesterday and we have the new design of the rear panel complete with drain holes, see photo. There is a lot of work ahead for the printer, it should be easier to build this second boat with all the pioneering knowledge gained from the first one, fingers crossed.178092

Returntohome
11-02-2023, 12:49 AM
Neptune 2 build
The rear panel was cleaned up and fits nicely into the transom. The parts are coming off the printer nice and clean so no need for filler so far, should be able to be painted straight off.
Took the F1 out yesterday, she performed flawlessly. Still not good weather for filming though. Lucky to get a break in the rain, we've had so much the jetty was flooded.

Returntohome
11-14-2023, 12:33 AM

Neptune 2 rib
When you've had a week off it's hard to pick up where you've left off, anyway yesterday I made the effort. So I got the dremel out and cut 15mm off the sides of the hull tapering down to 0 at the transom. I cut a cardboard disc out to use as a template to cut the foam tube, see photo. The printer was working all day on the first arch support, it seems to have come out really well, so the other side is now on the go. Once again I am dreading cutting the angles in the foam tubes wish there was an easy way. It has to angle upwards and inwards at the same time, any mistakes will leave gaps in the joint.

Returntohome
11-21-2023, 02:48 AM
Neptune rib and F1h2o
The console wouldn't respond to shell command, so I hollowed it out myself, probably better that way too. Its a 24 hour plus print so will be done tomorrow morning, hope it comes out as well as it did last time. I have the right side of the arch now so plenty to keep me busy.
Had fun with the F1 yesterday as can be seen on the latest video . Paul didn't bring a camera so I gave him my new phone to film it, not bad.
It's quite hard on my batteries, they soon lose that power you get from a brand new battery, should I be giving them a cycle to get them back on track, or face the fact that they will have deteriorated .

Returntohome
11-21-2023, 08:11 AM

I hollowed out the console this time to save weight. She printed well ,took 24 hours so no time saved by hollowing. No support used so was worried, but it was fine, even that big flat area of the front seat.

srislash
11-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Neptune rib and F1h2o
The console wouldn't respond to shell command, so I hollowed it out myself, probably better that way too. Its a 24 hour plus print so will be done tomorrow morning, hope it comes out as well as it did last time. I have the right side of the arch now so plenty to keep me busy.
Had fun with the F1 yesterday as can be seen on the latest video . Paul didn't bring a camera so I gave him my new phone to film it, not bad.
It's quite hard on my batteries, they soon lose that power you get from a brand new battery, should I be giving them a cycle to get them back on track, or face the fact that they will have deteriorated .

An occasional balance cycle can’t hurt. Though they should not get too out of sync. Have you put them at a storage charge after running them?

Returntohome
11-23-2023, 12:05 AM

Neptune 2 rib

The console seems to have printed well, maybe not quite as cleanly as last time, but with some work on the details it will be OK.
Nice to see it alongside the first prototype. I will take my time on this one, maybe I could sell one of my original ribs with the ally hull to finance this one. But I think ebay have got expensive to use for selling over the years.
Note in photo one the light arch support dips at the front this time, like the full size.

My batteries are used twice a week so don't have time to storage charge, so go straight to full charge ready for next outing.
Last winter I was preheating my batteries before I went boating, this is meant to be really good for them, I should try it again now the cold weather is back. Maybe I could get a little more speed by doing this.

Returntohome
11-26-2023, 01:10 AM
These two ribs have gone on sale on ebay (and in our club house at a cheaper price) for the first time there is a choice of outboard, either prop drive or jet drive. Servicing will be available, but we find these engines are super reliable and just keep going. I realise it's not much use to my American fans as they need to be demonstratedand collected in person, but thought you'd be interested to see what I am up to.

Returntohome
11-27-2023, 01:47 AM
https://youtu.be/O0U8frUZpts?si=jk4V9WjZcF7aa162
Great film shows both boats in action.

Returntohome
12-20-2023, 01:25 AM
Time in the workshop , at last it's a bit milder. So to get things moving I cut the foam tubes, being very careful to make a left and right hand. Also a right angle cut where it drops over the transom and taking into account the slope of the transom. I should be able to get these covered when the ends I pushed in have dried, used CT1.178432