PDA

View Full Version : Hull seam repair

smrtcowboy
05-22-2023, 04:42 PM
Hey, I have a sonicwake 36 V1, I was running it this weekend and I must have hit to rough causing the batteries to shift forward breaking the foam and causing the hull to separate at the seam. Looking for some ideas for repair.
is it best to re-glue the whole cap from the hull, if so is it simple abs glue. What do I replace the foam with is there a kit available?
Any help would be appreciated.

Bande1
05-22-2023, 05:14 PM
stuff called plastex used to be sold at harbor freight. but its a plastic weld with ground up ABS and an epoxy. I used it on motorcycle fairings and its strong as heck. You can fiberglass ABS or just use 30 minute epoxy. Of course you need to sand really good to get anything to bite and stick to the plastic.

https://a.co/d/7mhw41F

mappo
05-22-2023, 07:14 PM
Hey, I have a sonicwake 36 V1, I was running it this weekend and I must have hit to rough causing the batteries to shift forward breaking the foam and causing the hull to separate at the seam. Looking for some ideas for repair.
is it best to re-glue the whole cap from the hull, if so is it simple abs glue. What do I replace the foam with is there a kit available?
Any help would be appreciated.

Ironclad cry on YouTube has a tutorial on repairing these abs hulls

smrtcowboy
05-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Thanks all for the info, I will look into ironclad RC as well as an epoxy option

Bande1
05-23-2023, 02:02 PM
Thanks all for the info, I will look into ironclad RC as well as an epoxy option

you can also lay fiberglass mat with epoxy, you dont necessarily have to use polyester resin. bsi 30 minute epoxy from the hobby store, thinned with acetone or denatured alcohol, and then brush onto FG mat.