PDA

View Full Version : Sport 40

andym
02-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Here is my interpritation of a Blazer Marine Sport 40, all critisim will be listened to maybe.
This is the frames with the bottom attach and that is going to be the battery tray in the front.

Xzessperated
02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Watching with interest Andy. It looks like you are building good strength into it.
What setup are you thinking of?

Ub Hauled
02-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Aren't there supposed to be a few more parts glued on there? I don't think it'll float like this Andy
:tt2:

andym
02-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I will start with 8s PQ 25c 5000mha, feigao 580 1051 kv and a cheap chinese 200amp esc. I have better electrics to go in but I thought I would take one for the team and try a budget set up.
Jan I am going for light wieght, all the seams and joins are glassed so it will be strong and wood floats so that is it build finished.......................................... ..........

andym
02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
sponsons skined and all the blind nuts on

andym
02-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Floatation anyone? It should float now Jan

Ub Hauled
02-13-2009, 07:17 PM
NOOOOOOW we are talking... but...
don't you need a motor? Or is it wind powered
;)

andym
02-13-2009, 07:31 PM
As stated old freind it will be powered with a Fiegao 580 12 wind on 8s, although there is enough hot air around here to power her just fine! Now back to my sanding. I must say that these cowls are just crap, so full of pin holes it is not funny. The one on my sport 20 was the same. I glued the cowl down and spray puttied it to show all the holes and then sanded and applied stop putty from the auto shop ( bondo) then more sanding, then spray putty hole top of boat and sand again, putty any dents deep marks etc and sand again

10gauge
02-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Andy, that's one sharp looking build!

Eodman
02-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Wind up rubber band, just like when I was a wee little boy 50 years ago! remember those wind up balsa airplanes!!!!!

Ub Hauled
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I remember those, they were worth fighting over with the brothers, hehehehehe...
loads of fun.

Andy, all the "hot air" aside, it's looking great man! It's good to know about the pin holes.

calcagno45
02-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Floatation anyone? It should float now Jan

Thats how my Whiplash20 looks right now, stuffed with wacky-noodle!!

Is there any reason that you cut the guild off?(the curved area behind the sponson).

andym
02-13-2009, 11:41 PM
I prefer the sharp lines with out the curved wing, my sport 20 runs great without so off they came. Just finished all the sanding, the motor mount, stiffing tube and servo holder all done. Velcro battery strap in as well as the cut off loop. Balance with all HW and packs in is right on 1 1/2" behind sponson, so should be good. Off to see the local airbrush man after lunch. Just getting a quote and if not to costly I will let him go mad. If not it will be one of my average paint jobs.

calcagno45
02-14-2009, 11:12 AM
How long did it take you? What epoxies are you using?

Looks killer!! I'm liking the sharp edges without the guild!

andym
02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I am using Pacer finishing resin for the internal water proofing and the glas seems and Loctite 7 min for the add ons like the servo holder, engine mount and stuffing tube.

ksm2001
02-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Very Nice !!!, I like what you did with the sponsons and the rounded nose in front.
Ken

andym
02-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks guys, I forgot to take a pick with the motor, esc, packs and Hardware attatched. It is now being looked after by a bloke called Tim Jinks, his airbrush work is some of the best I have seen. I basicaly told him how I want the screen and air intake and have given him the OK to do what he thinks otherwise. He only uses two pack auto paints and loves metalics and pearls so fingers crossed this comes home special.

Xzessperated
02-15-2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks guys, I forgot to take a pick with the motor, esc, packs and Hardware attatched. It is now being looked after by a bloke called Tim Jinks, his airbrush work is some of the best I have seen. I basicaly told him how I want the screen and air intake and have given him the OK to do what he thinks otherwise. He only uses two pack auto paints and loves metalics and pearls so fingers crossed this comes home special.

I am pleased you went the airbrush way Andy. Did he give you an ETA? I can't wait to see it after the tales you told me about his work

andym
02-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Should be about 3 weeks Paddy, I suggested the Aussie flags on the sponsons turning to flame and his famous burning 100 dollor notes on the back hatch. At the end of the day he might or he might not. A bit of a suprise and I could see his brain ticking over when I told him it is a blank canvas! He is doing me a great price and I told him that it will be on the net and other Aussie boaters can see his work. He is busy doing bikes, cars and tattoo's but loves the tight detail work a model of this caliber requires. His number is in the white pages under T. Jinks William st Broken Hill so if anyone likes his work when I poast the pics look him up or PM me and I will pass on your info.

Xzessperated
02-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Should be about 3 weeks Paddy, I suggested the Aussie flags on the sponsons turning to flame and his famous burning 100 dollor notes on the back hatch. At the end of the day he might or he might not. A bit of a suprise and I could see his brain ticking over when I told him it is a blank canvas! He is doing me a great price and I told him that it will be on the net and other Aussie boaters can see his work. He is busy doing bikes, cars and tattoo's but loves the tight detail work a model of this caliber requires. His number is in the white pages under T. Jinks William st Broken Hill so if anyone likes his work when I poast the pics look him up or PM me and I will pass on your info.

Ya got me thinking. I will wait until I see the finished job.
I am thinking bikini clad women on a beach and they are feeding Mr. Krabs chilled grapes as he rests on his banana lounge. Palm trees, white sand and Xzess riggers tearing up the water.

egneg
02-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes do post pics of the finished boat!! I can airbrush the flames but have never attempted money (no plotter/cutter).

Scott T
02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Cool build Andy! Love the Whiplashes. Paint scheme sounds good too.

Very interested to hear how the power system works out, I was thinking of the same thing for an old 45 mono hull I have. Cheap power!

andym
02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah Scott, it sounds good for the price and if it blows not much cash down the drain. I will push the ESC and Motor to breaking point and a full report posted.

Xzessperated
02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Any news on the paint job Andy?

andym
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes mate, have been told that the 2p metalic base coat is on and a pearl is going over the top but I will have to wait as I told him he had a blank canvas and will not tell me anything else.

Xzessperated
02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes mate, have been told that the 2p metalic base coat is on and a pearl is going over the top but I will have to wait as I told him he had a blank canvas and will not tell me anything else.

Cool bananas dude.

egneg
03-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Well .... is it back from the painter yet?

andym
03-30-2009, 05:07 PM
NO it's bloody not, should have been done on Saturday but I went away to watch the Australian sidecar title in Mildura, somthing like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyNMHwOkgwk and when I got back it was not finished, nearly though just some detail work so I hope today or tomorrow.

Flying Scotsman
03-30-2009, 05:18 PM

Andy, I hate to say it wrong. The pearl will not show it's true coloures

Douggie

egneg
03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Douggie the metallic base is what it is but the pearl will change depending on the light source and angle and if it is a color shifting pearl the effect could be quite dramatic.

egneg
04-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Pictures !!!

andym
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes please I would like some pictures too!! Seriously it should be in the shed this afternoon and pics will be forth comming.

Xzessperated
04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Pictures !!!
Chuck,
I am not going to steal Andy's thunder but I have just seen a picture of his boat and it is a beautiful job. I guess he got it late and that is why he has no pics on here yet.

egneg
04-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Chuck,
I am not going to steal Andy's thunder but I have just seen a picture of his boat and it is a beautiful job. I guess he got it late and that is why he has no pics on here yet.

So ... he sent you pictures but couldn't click my addy too?

:cursing:

andym
04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Sorry Chuck, that pic is of a boat that has not been cleared yet and so all the 11 layers of detail do not show. It is just flat at the moment. Will be cleared tonight and should be hard enough on Wednesday to come home. All I can say is this boat is on fire

andym
04-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Well it still needs cutting with 2000 grit wet and dry and polishing but here you go, Ithink you get the idea. In the sunlight it realy explodes into flames. There are 12 layers of flames and they are soooo deep you think you can stick your fingers into it. This guy is unbelievable in his talent. This paint even has flaming debris and soot peeling of it. I am sitting here staring at it in awe of the talent of this guy

egneg
04-09-2009, 05:28 AM
That paint job is fantastic Andy ... and the bottom too! I know it looks better in real life as pictures rarely do justice to a good paint job.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Xzessperated
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Wow, that is the best flame job I have ever seen. Well worth the short wait Andy. You will have to get some pics out in the sun when you get time.

andym
04-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah I am almost to worried to run it, just incase I crash and burn so to speak. Will build it up tomorrow and post pics with all the hardware etc done.

Xzessperated
04-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Andy you told me on the phone you were polishing this boat last night. How about some pics of it after the polish when you have time!!!

andym
04-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Here ya go Paddy old mate, polished and Hardware installed. Just the esc to go and in the water she goes :thumbup::thumbup:

Xzessperated
04-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Fantastic. I will put some of these pics in the computer program if I have your permission.

andym
04-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes Sir, that goes without saying!

teach
04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow

You should send a few pics to blazermarine. If he was smart, and I'm sure he is, that boat would end up on his website.

andym
04-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes I will , my sport 20 is on his site and this one is much better so I think it will get a go.
Cheers and thanks

egneg
04-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Job well done! Is that a Prather 225s or 230s?

andym
04-12-2009, 08:53 PM
It is the 230s Chuck, nice spotting! Thinned to within an inch of its life and just a hint of edge cup. Should rip on 8s with a the 1050kv feigao 580 xl.

ksm2001
04-12-2009, 09:46 PM
That is one very HOT:flashfire: looking boat Andy, VERY nice:bowdown:

Ken
:canada:

andym
05-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Well an update is in order, first run with Hyperon 4s 35c x 2 packs in serieies for 8s, CC Hydra HV 240 and the Feigao 580l 1050Kv motor. Ran hard but a bit wet, heat OK changed T/Fin angle and lifted strut to 16mm from 20mm. Boat launched hard , turned even better and was well over 60mph.
They are an impressive sight at full flight.
Came back in and checked temps, esc & packs OK motor a bit warm. Changed to a x447/3 blader , what a blast , out of the hole like lightening and very quick.
Then BANG one CC HV 240 up in flames!! No damage to anything so I consider myself lucky.
Back to CC with this one
If any of you high volt guy's would care to share your motor, esc and prop set ups I would appreciate it very much as this is my first HV application.

Xzessperated
05-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Then BANG one CC HV 240 up in flames!! No damage to anything so I consider myself lucky.
Back to CC with this one

Sorry to hear that Andy. It has not been a good year for you.

egneg
05-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Bummer Andy - sounds like the 447/3 may have been to much prop?

Fluid
05-30-2009, 09:12 AM
The x447/3 is a HUGE step up from the the P230, with 33% more blade area and load, but with LESS pitch (2.6" versus 3.0") so a lower speed potential. Perhaps a better step up for more speed would have been an P235. More pitch makes the boat faster, more blade area can increase acceleration but limit top speed.

andym
05-30-2009, 10:15 AM
It was Faster with the 447/3, no question. I can run one on my 4s mono over race distance with similar total rpm so I assumed that with the higher volts and lower KV it would be Ok. The old pitch versus blade area thing,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have more fun with larger props with less pitch as they get out of the hole better off a turn and due to the size seem to stay hooked up in chop better.i have found the amp draw between say a m645 and a m447 similar but the 447 a better all round prop.
I do not think it would have been over 180 amps as the packs were not even warm

crabstick
05-31-2009, 06:38 PM
always sad to hear of an esc going :flashfire:

Specially when it really shouldn't.

Are you going to get another Castle ?

andym
06-01-2009, 02:57 AM
Only if they replace it under warranty, I got it off of TTH (Tracy Hatch) it was brand new purchased by him and forwarded to me.

DISAR
06-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Probably your ESC did not burn because of the high amps but because of the wire inductance. This is helpful
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8541190/anchors_8547181/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8547181

What I understood is
a) As short wires as possible from bats to ESC (max.12" total)
b) Close the positive-negative wires loop by attaching the ESC wires together.

Sorry to hear your loss, but they say that CC is good in replacing ESCs

andym
06-01-2009, 05:20 AM
The wire length is as follows, battery to esc 105mm, esc to motor 50mm. 5.5 bullet conectors. Packs, + to neg and then + esc, neg esc to series the cells. I have been doing this hobby for some time and the only CC esc to *!***!***!***!** itself is the CC120. Just a poor esc the 240,s I have are great and I was hoping all the negative reports on the HV 240 were user error but I gues not. Should have got a Shultz!!!!!!

jingalls007
06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I would think with a HV setup 8mm bullets might help to carry some of that current. I think 5.5mm bullets are to small for that power.

AntronX
06-02-2009, 04:10 AM
I was hoping all the negative reports on the HV 240 were user error but I gues not. Should have got a Shultz!!!!!!

Yea, I thought like that too. After burning through a bunch of Hydras I finally got my new 40/160 running last Sunday. Should have listened to experienced guys over here who told me to get Shulze right away, back when I was experimenting with cheap Chinese controllers. I must have burned through over a grand. Could have had two 40/160s with that money I wasted.

andym
06-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Yes I must agree, where are the experianced HV guys? Any imput is greatly appreciated.

andym
06-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Hey TTH (Tracy) how are going with that info I require for the warranty claim?

AntronX
06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
When I was sending my burned controllers back to Castle, I just printed out and filled out repair form, and on it I just had to write where I got the controller from. I did not attach any receipts.

I had Hydra 120 HV that I ran with Neu 2230 on 10S1P 5Ah 30C pack and X457 prop. That ran great, with 120A continuous and 160 peak. I expected the controller to blow up, but it never did. It ran for a month every weekend. What killed it was water submersion when my boat caught air (at 62 mph!) and flipped.

Then I got hydra 180 HV and that ran great too, until I placed it into waterproof plastic box, and forgot to check water circulation. It ran for few minutes and stopped, then I discovered twisted water line. No fire, no smoke, just died.

Then I got Hydra 240 HV, placed it into waterproof plastic box, checked for water flow and set it off on it's first run. Not even 5 seconds, it blows up with fire and smoke.

Why did 120 work fine and 240 died so quickly on same setup? Probably 240 had a defect. But Castle got superb customer service and tech support unlike anywhere else. You can call them and they will talk to you almost as long as you would like. They always replaced my controllers without much questioning, even when it was my fault (long wires, high ripple, too much prop).