PDA

View Full Version : ESC not Arming?

Capt. Crash
02-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I saw on another site where someone has this problem and can't get an answer from AQ. I had this same issue at the pond last weekend...all I could get was a continual beeping when the batteries were plugged in. Strange...everything worked before? :confused1:

I figured out the transmitter needed the throttle trim turned up more. It must have something to due with a reverse setting designed into the transmitter? Maybe it wasn't designed for FE boats...what a shock! Anyway...if you have this problem...try this first! :beerchug:

detox
02-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Yee the same thing happened to me. All I had to do was readjust the throttle trim on radio so ESC would arm.

Flying Scotsman
02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I hate to say it guys but the Tactic controls are not great, too easily moved, inadvertently from the position you chose.

Would I buy this radio....No

Douggie

alvinsmith75
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I had the same problem as well!

egneg
02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I seem to remember that the throttle trim must be set at mid point when arming - same with the steering trim. I have never had a problem as long as I have done this.

Chuck

Ub Hauled
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
is the mid point setting the "zero"?
That most certainly would fix the problem
;)

egneg
02-12-2009, 07:21 PM
;)

I really don't know ... but I remember reading some where that this is what is required to get it to arm.

Capt. Crash
02-13-2009, 07:40 AM
;)

That's where I've been starting with mine, but it doesn't arm there any more....I have to give it more trim...also my rudder trim is no longer in the middle like it used to be....I have to give it more trim too...hmmmm....wonder if there is a connection there?:confused1:

Flying Scotsman
02-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Well, I just tried to arm my ESC ...VERY FRUSTRATING. I did not attempt this prior to installing a new water cooling jacket. The only way it would arm ...throttle in reverse and trim fully clockwise. The motor wiring was as the factory installed it and should have no bearing on the arming process, either correct or incorrect rotation is the result of the motor wiring. NOT IMPRESSED with the radio or ESC instructions.

Edit

I also tried the reverse...throttle normal...trim fully counter clockwise....no go

Doug

egneg
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Not sure but maybe re-binding the receiver will help.

Flying Scotsman
02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Did all that Chuck, it works now and binds every time with the method I mentioned. I think the radio was wired up arse backwards at the factory :cursing:

Please note I have not run this boat yet due to our weather. For an RTR boat it is impressive but there are many quality issues to be overcome. Would I buy and recommend this boat again?? How it performs in the water is the key!

Douggie

egneg
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
When you did this did you follow the binding procedure - there was a thread on this. Something to do with a whole in the receiver and pushing a button inside causes a led to flash and you have to wait until the led is solid light. This tells you the binding is done.

BTW the boat is great in the water!

Flying Scotsman
02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
When you did this did you follow the binding procedure - there was a thread on this. Something to do with a whole in the receiver and pushing a button inside causes a led to flash and you have to wait until the led is solid light. This tells you the binding is done.

BTW the boat is great in the water!

Huh, with the method I stated I get the right beeps and a solid binding light and all works well except all controls are set to reverse mode??

Douuggie

Capt. Crash
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
If your talking about the switches set to "R", that's where mine are too. I just figured "R" means "Right" and "N" means "NOT Right"!:sarcasm1:

Flying Scotsman
02-17-2009, 06:42 PM
On the button Capt. Crash :tiphat:

Douggie

rightturnonly
02-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Right on Crash...nothing like turning right and going left....I have some experience with that one.....

Capt D-Day

Flying Scotsman
02-17-2009, 07:05 PM
John, back on topic. No politics, I trust :unsure: :smile:

Douggie

Grimracer
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Try this.

Here is a quick check list for arming your Tactic 2.4 radio system to the AquaCraft 60amp brushless ESC. NOTE: The motor needs to be connected to the ESC to arm the ESC.

Begin by verifying the position of the trim knob and reversing switch on the transmitter front panel.

The TH. reversing switch should be in the ( R ) reverse position (down) and the TH.TRIM knob in the 1: O Clock or lower position.

With batteries installed turn on the transmitter by pressing the ON/OFF button on the front of the transmitter, the power light should glow bright red.

Plug in the main power batteries to the ESC, at this time you will hear (1) one beep.
NOTE: If you hear more then one beep turn down the TH.TRIM knob to the 2: O clock position. You will find that the system will beep properly (One beep) with the TH. TRIM knob positioned below the 1:O Clock position.

Squeeze the throttle trigger and hold until you hear (1) one beep
Release the trigger and you will hear (3) three more beeps, your ESC is now armed and ready to use.

Enjoy!

Grimracer

Capt. Crash
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
That is exactly the way mine works....most of the time.

Be sure your other switch (rudder) is also in the "R" position or you will have to drive with your back to the boat looking into a mirror! :doh:

skiking1739
05-25-2010, 08:20 PM
From Grim

Try this.

Here is a quick check list for arming your Tactic 2.4 radio system to the AquaCraft 60amp brushless ESC. NOTE: The motor needs to be connected to the ESC to arm the ESC.

Begin by verifying the position of the trim knob and reversing switch on the transmitter front panel.

The TH. reversing switch should be in the ( R ) reverse position (down) and the TH.TRIM knob in the 1: O Clock or lower position.

With batteries installed turn on the transmitter by pressing the ON/OFF button on the front of the transmitter, the power light should glow bright red.

Plug in the main power batteries to the ESC, at this time you will hear (1) one beep.
NOTE: If you hear more then one beep turn down the TH.TRIM knob to the 2: O clock position. You will find that the system will beep properly (One beep) with the TH. TRIM knob positioned below the 1:O Clock position.

Squeeze the throttle trigger and hold until you hear (1) one beep
Release the trigger and you will hear (3) three more beeps, your ESC is now armed and ready to use.

Enjoy!

Grimracer

TO ALL:

My 3rd Generation UL-1 has over 30 (4 minutes runs) on it without any issues.
Yesterday it stopped running after 2 minutes and would not re-arm properly.

Now with all parameters set to above (Grim) specs, the unit will beep twice when batteries are plugged in, and beep twice when squeezing the trigger and beep three times when releasing the throttle. I have full radio control of throttle, rudder, steering, ST rate, ST Trim etc.

By unplugging the batteries and moving the TH Trim counter clock wise as far as it will go, and plugging in the batteries, the unit will beep continously until the TH Trim reaches about 1:00 o'clock, at which time the continous beeping will stop and then will issue 2 beeps. Squeeze the throttle and another 2 beeps, release the throttle and you hear the final 3 beeps with full control.

Oddly - if you cut off the transmitter, the motor will run wide open until you turn it back on.

So far I have tried this scenario with (2) different sets of batteries. First with the SMC Sport Max 4500 28C, and then with the Li-Power 5000 40C, both with the same results running 2S 1P x 2.

In addition I have traded out the UL-1 receiver with the same upgraded receiver from my Supervee (Both are the TR324). With the UL-1 receiver in the supervee, you get a perfect arming scenario by the book. However, when installing the upgraded receiver from the Supervee into the UL-1, you get the same 2 beep/3 beep scenario.

For the record my UL-1 is still in the stock configuration, running a 40x52/3 (AQUB9720) prop.

I don't want to run it like it is - I'm afrair with any range on it, it may decide to take off on its own and injure someone or destroy itself in the process.

I've looked thru a lot of threads but could not find one that applied to my situation. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SkiKing

wizard122
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
MY advise to all of you is to upgrade to a better radio it sucks when you pay $ 350.00 for a RTR and then spend another $300.00 for batteries a charger and props only to crash it or not get it to run because of the radio. I posted a radio comparison in this forum check it out I use Futaba and KO Propo and never had a radio problem yet

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13926

These are just some examples of whats out there do your self a favor and invest in a good radio that has multi model memory so all you need is one TX for your hole fleet you won't be sorry thats just my 2 cents:banana:

skiking1739
05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the reply, Wizard. I always enjoy reading your post.

The multi model memory may be the way to go - but for now this may be a warranty issue with the UL-1.

I upgraded my Supervee to the TTX-240 because of all the glitching, and I've really been satisified with the results. Much better than the stock Radio.

SkiKing

Grimracer
05-26-2010, 08:06 AM
TO ALL:

My 3rd Generation UL-1 has over 30 (4 minutes runs) on it without any issues.
Yesterday it stopped running after 2 minutes and would not re-arm properly.

Now with all parameters set to above (Grim) specs, the unit will beep twice when batteries are plugged in, and beep twice when squeezing the trigger and beep three times when releasing the throttle. I have full radio control of throttle, rudder, steering, ST rate, ST Trim etc.

By unplugging the batteries and moving the TH Trim counter clock wise as far as it will go, and plugging in the batteries, the unit will beep continously until the TH Trim reaches about 1:00 o'clock, at which time the continous beeping will stop and then will issue 2 beeps. Squeeze the throttle and another 2 beeps, release the throttle and you hear the final 3 beeps with full control.

Oddly - if you cut off the transmitter, the motor will run wide open until you turn it back on.

So far I have tried this scenario with (2) different sets of batteries. First with the SMC Sport Max 4500 28C, and then with the Li-Power 5000 40C, both with the same results running 2S 1P x 2.

In addition I have traded out the UL-1 receiver with the same upgraded receiver from my Supervee (Both are the TR324). With the UL-1 receiver in the supervee, you get a perfect arming scenario by the book. However, when installing the upgraded receiver from the Supervee into the UL-1, you get the same 2 beep/3 beep scenario.

For the record my UL-1 is still in the stock configuration, running a 40x52/3 (AQUB9720) prop.

I don't want to run it like it is - I'm afrair with any range on it, it may decide to take off on its own and injure someone or destroy itself in the process.

I've looked thru a lot of threads but could not find one that applied to my situation. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SkiKing

I will be looking into this.

Grim

Grimracer
05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
OK.. here is what I have found and what I know..

First

The Tactic system does indeed have a fail save.

Start like this for instance

If one had two servos plugged into the RX and a typical battery pack (like our nitro boats) when you turn the Transmitter off the servos go back to center. they do not go to extents.

Same for the UL-1 ESC but oddly (And I will be looking into this further).. man you learn something new every day.. I have not ran into this before.. just being dead honest here..

For now don’t do this.
Turing the throttle trim dial full counter clockwise and then plugging in the battery and then adjusting the trim dial until (Around the 1 O clock) you get one beep.. the ESC will go to about 30% power when the TX is turned off.. (this could be bad)

Please do this.
Turing the throttle trim dial full clock wise and then plugging in the battery and then adjusting the trim dial until (Around the 1 O clock) you get one beep.. the ESC will go to center (dead) power when the TX is turned off.. (this is good)

No I don’t know why but I will do what I can to find out.. good news is you know have the knowledge to safely run you boat worry free.. (me too)

I can not believe I had not caught this before.. I suspect it has always been this way..

Good observations guys

Thank you very much.. (on to the E lab)

Grimracer

skiking1739
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Please do this.
Turing the throttle trim dial full clock wise and then plugging in the battery and then adjusting the trim dial until (Around the 1 O clock) you get one beep.. the ESC will go to center (dead) power when the TX is turned off.. (this is good)

Yes - Thats the problem. Anywhere from 1:00 o'clock to full clockwise will result in a 2beep/2 beep/3beep.

UPDATE:

I did not pick up on this until today. :sorry:

When attempting to arm my UL-1 and getting the 2 beep/2beep/3beep scenario with full radio control - I noticed a low growling noise (kind of a low grade hum) coming from the TSX200 Servo. By moving or sometimes touching the steering wheel the noise stops. You can initiate it and stop it at the wheel.

This may be just a simple warranty issue. Bad radio that took out a good servo?
Or vice-versa?

Advise.

For now, I think I'll just take my Supervee and go to the lake before the sun goes down.

Thanks To All

SkiKing

Grimracer
05-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Nothiing wrong with the servo.. truth is its just doing its job hunting down center..

BTY.. the issue you have incounterd is not due to the radio but rather the ESC..

Grim

skiking1739
05-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the reply, Grim.

As you probably know, I'm rather new at this hobby, and appreciate your info.

I've always ran the UL-1 WOT as recommended.

Unfortunately for me I bought my UL-1 right after they hit port, and took delivery on 1-29-10, so I'm 26 days out of warranty. Bummer!

Wow - I'm sure it was never used until the water warmed up - probably Easter Weekend.

Is there any leeway in the warranty based on those circumstances? Just asking. I really hate to go out this early.

Thanks for all your input.

SkiKing

Grimracer
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Just so I understand.. what service are you looking to have done to the boat?

Heck... might want to call Hobby Services anyway..

Grim

skiking1739
05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, my whole interest in posting was to find out what was causing the problem. Radio, Receiver, Servo, ESC. etc.

The ESC will not arm properly, as you pointed out, and the servo is doing its job continually hunting for center.

Can the unit be operated safely as is? 2beep/2beep/3 beep. If not I need a new ESC., right?

I called Hobby Services as per your last post, and they will not budge on the ESC issue. The UL-1 is 26 days out of warranty from 1-29-10, and eventhough it was the dead of winter, their policy remains the same, no compension past 90 days.

They did say however, to send the ESC in and they will repair it - but even the rep says it is probably cheaper to buy a new one. He did say they may determine otherwise (extenuating circumstances) and give me credit, but there are no guarantees.

I guess I could send the ESC in and hope for the best or maybe send it back and get determination on the product prior to doing the work, and proceed from there,
or just get a new ESC here at OSE., and be done with it.

Has anyone else experienced this type problem? - I'm getting kinda lost here. This is my first issue ever.

I've had no problems with my Supervee, and I've had no problems with my Mini-Rio, and I waited on this last shipment of UL-1's so I could fast track to the water without any issues.

But - it is what it is, I'll take my lumps and move on if necessary, however I wasn't expecting to be down this early, this soon.

I will say this about Aquacraft, IMHO they make a good product for the money. and from reading many other post I know your heart and soul is in this totally, as evidenced by your desire to continually improve the product, some by design and some by necessity.

I just keep remembering this old quote "YOU CAN CHANGE THE RULES - BUT YOU CAN NEVER STOP THE GAME", and from there , I guess I'll just move on.

If I'm missing anything here, please let me know and thanks for your help.

Ski Ya Later,

SkiKing

wizard122
05-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi just my two cents again have you tried swapping out the radio from your SV to your UL and also the ESC from SV to the UL this way you would know for sure its the ESC if so I would upgrade the ESC to a 90 or 120 good luck Wiz

skiking1739
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the reply, Wizard.

I've been AFK too long. Trip to Reno, Memorial Day, and Myrtle Beach has kept me occupied.

I did manage to install the UL-1 ESC in the SV, but to no avail. Still the 2beep,2beep,3beep deal. I also tried it with both radio/receivers with the same results. Both radio/receivers armed properly with the SV ESC.

So Grim was right - bad ESC. (I'm still stinging from that deal)

For me, at this time an upgraded 90 or 120 ESC would have to be plug and play. (Suggestions)

OSE has the upgraded UL-1 ESC with the larger cap - but what good is that based on my recent experience.

After I get back from the beach, I'll deal with the ESC issue in earnest.

PS: Attended a wedding at Carrigan Farms in Mooresville this past weekend - they have two nice ponds, and a quarry. Still looking for a place to run?

SKi Ya Later,

SkiKing