PDA

View Full Version : What classes do these models run in?

Timothy L
08-08-2022, 05:03 PM
I'm learning about NAMBA classes and I'm a little confused. Could someone clarify for me what classes these fast electric models would race in please?
1) Zipp kits 33FE rigger
2) Insane Boats FE30 sport hydro
3) Zipp kits G30 tunnel

Thank you.

TRUCKPULL
08-08-2022, 08:48 PM
It depends on the motor that you use and the number of cells.
"P" classes are 4Cell
Q is 6Cell
S&T are 8 to 10 cell
For "P" Limited class 4 cell and a motor of 36mm X 60mm MAX.

Larry

Timothy L
08-08-2022, 09:06 PM
Thank you Larry -
So the rigger hull style can be raced in P-limited or P as long as the motor size, number of cells, and length are within class limits (on rule pages 28-5 and 28-7)? I don't see anything on those electric pages which distinguish between mono hulls, riggers, or hydros. Still confused.....

tbonemcniel
08-09-2022, 08:40 AM
The length's are maximum lengths. So a 34" boat can run in P, Q, S, or T, but not N2. A 40" boat can run in Q, S, or T, but not P or N2. That being said, it's not very common to run a smaller boat in the bigger classes from what I've seen. Running say a 31" boat, appropriately sized for P classes, can be tough in Q or T against much bigger boats up to 40" or 60" in length.

The voltage's there are minimum's and maximums. P boats are 3-4S LiPO, Q's are 5-6S LiPo, etc.

So to answer your original question:
1) Zipp kits 33FE rigger - P-Limited or P Outrigger Hydroplane (technically qualifies for Q/S/T Outrigger Hydroplane as well if on appropriate voltage, but may not be competitive)
2) Insane Boats FE30 sport hydro - P-Limited or P Sport Hydroplane (technically qualifies for Q/S/T Sport Hydroplane as well if on appropriate voltage, but may not be competitive)
3) Zipp kits G30 tunnel - P-Limited or P Tunnel (technically qualifies for Q/S/T Sport Tunnel as well if on appropriate voltage, but may not be competitive)

oscarel
08-09-2022, 09:06 AM
Thank you Larry -
So the rigger hull style can be raced in P-limited or P as long as the motor size, number of cells, and length are within class limits (on rule pages 28-5 and 28-7)? I don't see anything on those electric pages which distinguish between mono hulls, riggers, or hydros. Still confused.....

tbonemcniel
08-09-2022, 09:16 AM
Section 11 pages 1-2 breaks down general hull types, both gas and electric.

Timothy L
08-09-2022, 09:47 AM
Tbone -
This is a great help. Thank you. On Sec 28, page 1, there is no mention of hull shapes. In Sec 11 it describes the 2 basic hull shapes. Riggers are thus defined as hydroplanes. Can a P-limited rigger, theoretically, race against a P-limited mono? Or are boats always first separated by hull type and then secondly separated by power specs and length? Thank you for your patience with my questions.

oscarel
08-09-2022, 10:03 AM
Different areas offer different classes. For instance, we sometimes will do "offshore" which allows mono/cats to race together. Some offer "open" which allows any hull type. Most offer classes based on hull type followed by power. As an example, you'd see something like this for race entry:

Saturday Classes Offered:
A Mono
A Stock OPC
B Hydro / Sport 40 II
G-Limited Mono
G-Limited Crackerbox
GX2 Catamaran
GX2 Mono
GX2 Sport Hydro
P Mono
P Sport Hydro
P-Limited OPC
Open Tunnel
Q-Mono/Cat

Sunday Classes Offered:
A Hydro
A Superstock OPC
Classic Thunderboat
G-Limited Sport Hydro
GX1 Mono
GX1 Catamaran
GX1 Sport Hydro
GX2 Outrigger
P-Limited Catamaran
P-Limited Mono
P Rigger
P-Limited Offshore

tbonemcniel
08-09-2022, 10:05 AM
Normally, every class is run with it's own hull type. Monos race monos, cats race cats, hydros race hydros, etc.

However, in the event of low attendance, in order to fill classes, all hulls can race UP a class all the way to hydro, but not rigger, and no classes can race down. So at race, if you have 1 mono, 1 cat, and 3 hydros, the mono and cat can choose to compete in hydro with those 3 hydros, but the hydros cannot choose to compete in cat or mono. Riggers are their own thing. That's the way I understand it. Although I don't find that in the rulebook, only what I've heard/read. So it may vary club to club.

Mono
Tunnel
Cat
Hydro
Rigger

In my club, if there's not enough participants to fill each we often combine monos and cats into an "Offshore" race. We do this with P-Limited, Q, and T often. There's always enough P's for each class to make. Technically, offshore would be offshore style deep vee mono's and cats only, on an offshore course, but we just call it "Offshore", even if it technically isn't. We have never had the need to my knowledge to race monos and cats against hydros.

oscarel
08-09-2022, 10:14 AM
And as another example, at the NAMBA Nationals this year they're offering an OPEN FE class. Any NAMBA legal electic boat/power can run together.

Timothy L
08-09-2022, 11:13 AM
Tbone and Oscar -
Yay!!! I finally get it. You guys were really a great help. I very much appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions and clarify this for me. I'm no longer confused Lol!
Tim