PDA

View Full Version : updated version of ul-1

drdarren
02-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi there, I have been reviewing the posts on the ul-1 as i am very interested in getting one but there seems to be many issues in some problems with the boat. I thought i would ask you if you know if a version 2 or updated boat will be released in the near future with modifications to strengthen the boat.

thanks

darren

sewerpit
02-05-2009, 12:26 PM
the fixes are very minor, its a great boat for the price, with all the info here on the site you dont need to recreate the wheel, follow what these guys say and your in business. thanks for all the help you guys, fluid , darrin, grim and everone else makes the transition from cars and trucks to boats so much more enjoyable all we need up here now is warmer weather and un frozen water. get the boat you will be happy

Jeff Wohlt
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I think the only person that can answer this question would be Mike (grimracer) he is the AQ designer. The water jacket is a small issue compared to the hull issues.

detox
02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi there, I have been reviewing the posts on the ul-1 as i am very interested in getting one but there seems to be many issues in some problems with the boat. I thought i would ask you if you know if a version 2 or updated boat will be released in the near future with modifications to strengthen the boat.

thanks

darren

I noticed OSE is having a very attractive sale on their UL-1 boats...maybe to make room for the improved updated version. Aquacraft should call the updated version the UL-2.

sewerpit
02-05-2009, 02:24 PM
when you say hull issues the only hull issue ive read about is the weak turn fin area if so i simply removed the turn fin bolts , squirted some 5 minute epoxy into the bolt holes then replaced the plate and screws. then i proped the hull so the epoxy would cover and set in the area behind the outer plate. it took my five minutes , i used Devcon 5 minute epoxy part #20445 it comes with 2 instant mix nozzles that fit perfictly into the screw holes. no mixing just squirts right in. before i did this i could move the turn fin side to side and actually see the hull stress. now it doesnt even flinch, looks like it worked . havent tested in the water at full speed but i think it will work. an easy fix. dont want to take someone elses credit for this fix, i forget who it was but great job. thanks

detox
02-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Randy Naylor's new hull uses an extra brace in this area. Maybe one could be added to my UL-1?

Flying Scotsman
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
when you say hull issues the only hull issue ive read about is the weak turn fin area if so i simply removed the turn fin bolts , squirted some 5 minute epoxy into the bolt holes then replaced the plate and screws. then i proped the hull so the epoxy would cover and set in the area behind the outer plate. it took my five minutes , i used Devcon 5 minute epoxy part #20445 it comes with 2 instant mix nozzles that fit perfictly into the screw holes. no mixing just squirts right in. before i did this i could move the turn fin side to side and actually see the hull stress. now it doesnt even flinch, looks like it worked . havent tested in the water at full speed but i think it will work. an easy fix. dont want to take someone elses credit for this fix, i forget who it was but great job. thanks

That does not make sense. All epoxies must be mixed and stirred to reach their strength

Douggie

detox
02-05-2009, 03:03 PM
You inject (syringe) or pour the PREMIXED epoxy into this area. Pour your premixed epoxy into syringe then inject into turn fin allen bolt holes (I like Devcon 2 Ton version best).
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGG7&P=7

Flying Scotsman
02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Detox, I agree but that is not what this member is stating...Newbies, be aware as all you will have is a sticky mess, if you follow the suggested fix by sewerpit

Douggie

longballlumber
02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
That does not make sense. All epoxies must be mixed and stirred to reach their strength

Douggie

Taken right off of the manufactures website...

"Epoxy Paintable - Fast Drying - High Strength ``Flow-Mix - 5-Minute`` Size 1 oz

Syringe automatically mixes epoxy hardener and resin during application. Comes with two Instant-Mix nozzles. Water resistant, chemical resistant. Bonding strength 1,500 psi. Works on metal, wood, concrete, ceramic, glass, and china."

Flying Scotsman
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
i used Devcon 5 minute epoxy part #20445 it comes with 2 instant mix nozzles that fit perfictly into the screw holes. no mixing just squirts right in. before i did this i could move the turn fin side to side and actually see the hull stress. now it doesnt even flinch, looks like it worked . havent tested in the water at full speed but i think it will work. an easy fix. dont want to take someone elses credit for this fix, i forget who it was but great job. thanks

He states no mixing. Buyer be aware.

Douggie

detox
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Douggie, My bad...I see what you are saying after reading his post more carefully.

detox
02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
There is one DEVCON version that does mix the epoxy IN TIP OF SYRINGE while it is being injected. You can buy it at Walmart

Flying Scotsman
02-05-2009, 03:20 PM
YOU MUST MIX EPOXY COMPONENTS IN EQUAL QUANTITIES AND STIR..STIR...STIR

Douggie

Steven Vaccaro
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
YOU MUST MIX EPOXY COMPONENTS IN EQUAL QUANTITIES AND STIR..STIR...STIR

Douggie No Sir. With these there is no mixing required.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/143149.jpg

sewerpit
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
you dont have to follow my advice and yes iam kinda of a newbie as you say mR scotsman, but i do learn quickly. i am refering to the devcon that mixes Equaly in the tip of the syringe, thats why i gave the part number to make it easier for us newbies to understand. so, thank you logballer and detox for understanding what i meant. maybe the premix no mess version of epoxy hasnet reached MR scottsmans country yet but here in the USA we have the more up to date stuff. no mess, no drip, worked great

sewerpit
02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
thank you steve, thats exactly what i used worked great. maybe MR scottsman is a mixologist.

longballlumber
02-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Taken right off of the manufactures website...

"Epoxy Paintable - Fast Drying - High Strength ``Flow-Mix - 5-Minute`` Size 1 oz

Syringe automatically mixes epoxy hardener and resin during application. Comes with two Instant-Mix nozzles. Water resistant, chemical resistant. Bonding strength 1,500 psi. Works on metal, wood, concrete, ceramic, glass, and china."

The above is pretty clear to me....

Flying Scotsman
02-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Explain Steven, as the two components have to be mixed and stirred to create the chemical reaction and we are talking about the expoxy available at your local hobby store? 5 minute Decon is a poor epoxy
Douggie

longballlumber
02-05-2009, 03:48 PM
There is another piece inside of the tube that "folds or channels" the 2 components onto itself as it travels down the tube.

detox
02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
It is called Devcon Auto Mix "no stirring required" comes with two AUTO mixing tips. Very easy to find at Walmart.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JK5LIQ/?tag=stylefeeder-20&creative=380337&creativeASIN=B001JK5LIQ&linkCode=asn

Steven Vaccaro
02-05-2009, 03:58 PM
There is another piece inside of the tube that "folds or channels" the 2 components onto itself as it travels down the tube.

Thats the reason Doug. Hence the reason they are called mixing nozzles. Its a cool product. Give it a try sometime.

Flying Scotsman
02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Michael, are you talking about a $25.00 epoxy? Woops that was for a six pack.
An interesting product...THIS IS NOT YOUR EVERYDAY 5 MINUTE EPOXY...look at the SKU number.
My appologies

Douggie

sewerpit
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
all im saying is ,what i did worked great. if some one wants to use my advice great , i wouldnt give it if it didnt work for me. by the way epoxy is epoxy, same chemicals used in the 4 dollar tube as the ten dollar tube. just my 2 cents. maybe the stuff in canada is better

Flying Scotsman
02-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Please guys look at the SKU number. This is not your usual 5 minute epoxy

But to be honest I think the mixing process is not great

Douggie

detox
02-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Homedepot sells the 5 minute Loctite version

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=11&subid=49&plid=759

Jeff Wohlt
02-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Douggie...it is crazy but works and has been around here for some time. it just mixes before it hits air...damest thing I have even seen but the truth.

Actually very amazing they are in good shape after a 5,000 mile ride. Could be our own UPS ding- a -lings that screw it up more than the China folks! :just-kidding:

Flying Scotsman
02-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Damn it, I have to get out of the house more. A neat product but I still like to stir or manipulate my member to obtain the correct stiffness

Douggie

drdarren
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
thanks to all who responded. You are all very much aware of the hull problem with the UL-1 and how to fix it. Frankly I am a newbe to rc boats and i am in love with the ul-1 but frankly i dont want to have to worry about repairing hulls.

The question came to mind about an updated version because i saw the ul-1 on sale here and was wondering why it was being discounted after being available for just a few months. Does it mean this is a great deal or they are clearing them out for the new version.

Personally I think i will wait a little longer to see if a newer version is coming out. I was hoping Grimracer saw this post and would respond to it. I tried to PM him but it would not go through.

Thanks

Darren

Kfoss1
02-06-2009, 08:04 AM

Twas I! :thumbup1: Love it when a plan comes together.

no stick
02-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Using the instant mix nozzles is a one time event because the epoxy in the nozzle will set. Means you waste a lot and go through another nozzle the next time you use it. Five minute epoxy is not as strong as three hour epoxy. FWIW

Ed

Steven Vaccaro
02-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I noticed OSE is having a very attractive sale on their UL-1 boats...maybe to make room for the improved updated version. Aquacraft should call the updated version the UL-2.

I missed this post yesterday. No Ul-2 that I know of. Just a sale to move some of the larger / more costly inventory. Sale ends today.