PDA

View Full Version : ~looks vs speed~

killjoy781
02-01-2009, 01:22 PM
hello people of OSE....i created this thread for those of you that love speed, but also love a sexy lookin hydro...:cool2:

being new to the hobby (again), ive taken notice that many racers remove their wings off. totally understandable if you need that extra speed.....the miss vegas IMO, looks wayyy better without the wing...but the UL-1 looks soooo dam sexy with one...not that ive ever seen one on it before but i have found something similar and i think im going to do it to my upcoming AQ UL-1....like i said, im not too experienced in building but YES i have built nitro cars, several planes, but never worked on fiberglass models...the following is what i wanna do to my UL-1 but note that the V-stabs in this hull are much larger than the UL-1. but you get the idea...also, note that im do not like the miss elam wing style due to the fact that the rear stabilizer resides lower than the vertical stabs. i want it just as you see here below. (also adjustable if i can) i will be showing everything i do ONLY ON OSE!!!!

if theres any1 with a clever idea on how to get my wing on her FEEL FREE SHOUT IT RIGHT HERE!!!

THANKS TO GRIMRACER AND EVERY1 IN OSE!

NativePaul
02-02-2009, 12:30 AM
How is the UL-1 joined, is it a butt joint or a shoe box? I have a butt jointed hydro that needed a wing, I drilled a hole in the seam on each side and put a single 2.5mm brass screw through it into each wing end plate, It has survived most blow overs through the years but a couple of bad ones have broken the bolts without damage to the hull. the wing itself and end plates I carved out of balsa, doped and painted them which made them thicker than scale for the strength needed although I think it still looks good, if I were doing it again I would carve them thinner and glass them for the same strength. I deviated from scale again for adjustability, I didn't think I could get the strength to have an all moving wing without making it too heavy so I used a fixed wing with a top hinged elevator to alter the lift whilst keeping the hinge line fairly discrete I put a pushrod going from a horn forward of the hinge line to the rudder arm so when turning right I get a little extra lift at the tail though it took a few different horn lengths to get the right amount of extra lift.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/nativepaul/thorfront.jpg
The wing and linkage, the photo looks down on the wing slightly, its not as thick as it looks.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/nativepaul/thorshowingwing.jpg
The straight pushrod is from the servo to the rudder and the curved one goes up from the rudder to the wing, about a third of the way along the wing you can just make out where the plywood horn penetrates right through the elevator front and rear.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/nativepaul/thorside.jpg
this one shows the single small brass bolt that goes through the butt joint seam so as not to hole the hull if the glass gave way instead of the bolt. Don't pay any heed to the strut angle, these photos were taken just after I pulled it out from 10 years storage a couple of years ago and it had been knocked about a bit.

killjoy781
02-02-2009, 04:03 PM
wow! i knew some1 out there would do it....

i have a question though, how did it affect the performance?

Flying Scotsman
02-02-2009, 04:24 PM
hello people of OSE....i created this thread for those of you that love speed, but also love a sexy lookin hydro...:cool2:

being new to the hobby (again), ive taken notice that many racers remove their wings off. totally understandable if you need that extra speed.....the miss vegas IMO, looks wayyy better without the wing...but the UL-1 looks soooo dam sexy with one...not that ive ever seen one on it before but i have found something similar and i think im going to do it to my upcoming AQ UL-1....like i said, im not too experienced in building but YES i have built nitro cars, several planes, but never worked on fiberglass models...the following is what i wanna do to my UL-1 but note that the V-stabs in this hull are much larger than the UL-1. but you get the idea...also, note that im do not like the miss elam wing style due to the fact that the rear stabilizer resides lower than the vertical stabs. i want it just as you see here below. (also adjustable if i can) i will be showing everything i do ONLY ON OSE!!!!

if theres any1 with a clever idea on how to get my wing on her FEEL FREE SHOUT IT RIGHT HERE!!!

THANKS TO GRIMRACER AND EVERY1 IN OSE!

The point is I love scale looks, but for fast FE models not good. The wings and other scale appointments will be destroyed on a blow over along with the hull integrity.
All said and done I love the scale looks.

Douggie

killjoy781
02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
The point is I love scale looks, but for fast FE models not good. The wings and other scale appointments will be destroyed on a blow over along with the hull integrity.
All said and done I love the scale looks.

Douggie

:iagree: totally correct!

well, at least i could still do other little things to it....

any ideas???

Flying Scotsman
02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
None, but I stiil love the scale looks...my dillema.

Douggie

killjoy781
02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
None, but I stiil love the scale looks...my dillema.

Douggie

what im preparing to do is the following.

use a cutting tool and cut the winshield off leaving a thin line left over from the black windshield, and make the same cuttout as the windshield out of clear plastic and paint VERY small little bolts around the edges.. shouldnt be no harm...i hope

Rex R
02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
some ideas; 'evergreen' markets styrene in various sizes and thinknesses in clear and white, lexan can be bought in various thicknesses, and then there are soda bottles...
mirrors:
the identations on the ul-1 mirrors are 9/16" x a smidge over 3/16"(about 4mm)...one could take a strip of styrene 0.02 x 0.156" x 1.5" and CA some window film (mirror, privacy) onto the styrene, cut 2 bits 9/16" long, and glue them into those indentations...like I did :).
windscreen: the ul-1's 'windshield' is nothing more than a piece of black vinyl(or a decal not sure which) and peels out fairly easily.
rex

NativePaul
02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I put the wing on during the original build and have never run it without so I cant say how it effected the speed. I can say that time spent setting up the elevator was worth it though, it was as fast as the riggers in the class (700 12 cell) and I did race the same hull once and it was considerably faster but I think that had more to do with the weight (mine was a very light experimental hull).