PDA

View Full Version : Proboat release new Blackjack 42" catamaran

fweasel
05-05-2021, 09:46 PM
In case you hadn't seen these yet...

Polycarbonate Hull: Two-piece shoe box construction for extreme hull durability. Molded composite material is much more impact resistant than fiberglass.
Polycarbonate Canopy: Durable 2.5mm polycarbonate provides a watertight seal and the thumb screws means no tape is necessary to retain hull on to hull.
Spektrum Marine 4685 4 Pole, Water Cooled Motor: Rated at over 5 horsepower with 85%+ efficiency, this powerful 8S capable brushless and waterproof motor provides more than enough torque to hit 55+ MPH.
Spektrum Smart 160A High Voltage, Water Cooled ESC: Able to handle all the power needed, it is programmable, water cooled, waterproof, and Smart.
Aluminum Propeller Strut and Rudder: Both the propeller and rudder feature anodized aluminum. The runner has a special break away feature that protects the hull from damage in case floating debris is struck.
S904 1/6 Scale WP Digital Servo: The high torque digital servo provides all the necessary power. Waterproofing makes sure the servo is up to the task of being in a boat without the risk of failure do to getting wet.
Boat Stand: This custom molded plastic stand fits perfectly to the contour of the hull providing a rock stable platform to display or work on your boat. This boat stand will last for the life of your boat without the need to worry about water rotting a wooden stand.

172505 172506 172507 172504

1coopgt
05-06-2021, 08:33 PM
Looks interesting. I'm tempted

hughb
05-08-2021, 04:57 AM
Interested to hear peoples thoughts on the polycarbonate hull, a different way to go.

fweasel
05-08-2021, 09:49 AM
Interested to hear peoples thoughts on the polycarbonate hull, a different way to go.

Will likely be fewer warranty claims than with fiberglass

1coopgt
05-08-2021, 08:42 PM
Totally agree. Unfortunately if you hit something hard enough to crack it there's no real good way of fixing it unfortunately. Wonder how thick they are making the hull. Poly carbonate is some really tough stuff though.

hughb
05-09-2021, 08:05 AM
Arhh I see. Though would it be likely to flex more when driving it, changing the geometry of the boat?

fweasel
05-09-2021, 10:31 AM
Arhh I see. Though would it be likely to flex more when driving it, changing the geometry of the boat?

We'll find out when people start receiving the boat, but I bet flex will be a non issue.

MADRCER
05-11-2021, 06:10 PM
If time allows and if the weather cooperates I should have some running videos uploaded on YouTube by the end of the week for those interested. Horizon gave me the go-ahead to move forward and start rolling them out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-iRfFMv2IWjxcmut9446Dw

1coopgt
05-11-2021, 08:08 PM
Very Cool . Curious to see what props will work good on it too.

naveda_08
05-12-2021, 12:11 AM
Wonder if she'll be faster than my 8s SonicWake, cant wait to see her with some decent props on MADRCER channel

MADRCER
05-13-2021, 04:53 PM
Good looking boat! 3/16 prop shaft that will take the famous dasboata props is always a plus... SSS 3674 motor for comparison as well.

1coopgt
05-13-2021, 06:32 PM
How does the hull feel compared to the fiberglass hull of the Geico, flex or stronger.

MADRCER
05-13-2021, 10:27 PM
How does the hull feel compared to the fiberglass hull of the Geico, flex or stronger.

Definitely more flex than Fiberglass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ITovMxWmYA

oscarel
05-13-2021, 11:05 PM
How do you get away with no space between strut and drive dog?

MADRCER
05-13-2021, 11:27 PM
How do you get away with no space between strut and drive dog?

You talking about my Geico 36 in the video? It as 5mm gap in it. The Black jack has about 2mm out of the box.

oscarel
05-13-2021, 11:37 PM
The new from the box.. This doesn't look like nearly enough gap.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210514/8fdbb3bdbeb7c364302aba11982f5d98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

MADRCER
05-13-2021, 11:48 PM
The new from the box.. This doesn't look like nearly enough gap.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210514/8fdbb3bdbeb7c364302aba11982f5d98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

I like about twice that much myself (4-5mm). That was about 2mm right there out of the box though.

1coopgt
05-14-2021, 02:09 PM
Easy enough to correct. I know I usually go through a new boat setting it up before taking it out on its first run.

dasboata
05-14-2021, 03:19 PM
My bet is the stuffing box is going to break the shaft on the braze that angle is a bit to much

MADRCER
05-14-2021, 03:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9jQSmS-gI

1coopgt
05-14-2021, 05:36 PM
It will be interesting to see how it does as you start tuning on it. Looks like the prop needs to be aimed down slightly to keep it from blowing over.

MADRCER
05-14-2021, 08:47 PM
BJ 42 flex cable (1/4 inch size) beside a .187 cable.

MADRCER
05-16-2021, 03:10 PM
Temp checks and trying to keep it on the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByAeHDcNBA

ACKopter
05-18-2021, 07:52 AM
Hello all, This is my first post here and having just pre-ordered the Blackjack 42 it would seem to be the best place to ask a few questions.
Never having a boat before the speeds this one can deliver might be a bit much for a newb such as myself. My idea would be to run the boat on 6s for awhile till i get more familiar with the boat and its handling, tuning, etc. Some concerns are what effects this will have on the power system itself running 6s instead of 8s, will it run hot or cooler and will i need a prop change to accomplish this? Secondly, could someone tell me what the ID is on the cooling lines as the first modification i wish to make is cooling the motor and ESC independently and utilizing both water pick ups in the rudder.
TIA, Chris

1coopgt
05-18-2021, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't worry to much. Most RTR's have dual rates built into the transmitter, I think its called so you can slow things down. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ACKopter
05-18-2021, 11:30 AM
Thanks, allthough I prefer actual user input I'll reach out to horizon as well.

MADRCER
05-18-2021, 04:51 PM

The BJ 42 DX3 controller has a throttle limit switch on top of it with 3 settings that can be changed. It's got a 50%, 75%, and a 100% setting. On the 75% setting the boat runs stable as can be in the low to mid 40's mph range and on 100% it turns into a powerful Beast. Below is a photo of the transmitter and you can see the switch.

Also I guess I can go ahead and post my latest video over here as well.

172619 172620 172621

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2lTfcal3VA

ACKopter
05-18-2021, 05:22 PM
The BJ 42 DX3 controller has a throttle limit switch on top of it with 3 settings that can be changed. It's got a 50%, 75%, and a 100% setting. On the 75% setting the boat runs stable as can be in the low to mid 40's mph range and on 100% it turns into a powerful Beast. Below is a photo of the transmitter and you can see the switch.

Perfect, just what I needed to know. Any chance you could tell me the tubing ID for the cooling system? Id like to separate the esc and motor on their own cooling loops or do you think that is overkill.
Nice video too!

MADRCER
05-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Perfect, just what I needed to know. Any chance you could tell me the tubing ID for the cooling system? Id like to separate the esc and motor on their own cooling loops or do you think that is overkill.
Nice video too!

The cooling tube is 6mm outside and 1/8 inside. More cooling can't hurt but the stock system doesn't overheat at all, not even close to overheating. I would use this tube here https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-tubing-1%2F4-clear

ACKopter
05-19-2021, 06:51 AM
Excellent, thanks for the info. FYI, I reached out to Horizon about running on 6s and they do not endorse it, kind of expected that. Not that it matters at this point as your suggestion on throttle limiting seems like it will suit me just fine.

Panther6834
05-19-2021, 12:29 PM
Temp checks and trying to keep it on the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByAeHDcNBAEven from the most recent video (posted yesterday), she's still hopping worse than a jackrabbit. Have you tried moving the batteries further forward? I'm interested in this, but I don't care for jackrabbits (unless it's for dinner...and, maybe, not even then).

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

1coopgt
05-19-2021, 03:05 PM
Saw this guys video and the boat seems a bit calmer. Around the 19 min mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8AbEo8jhGI

ACKopter
05-20-2021, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't worry to much. Most RTR's have dual rates built into the transmitter, I think its called so you can slow things down. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

My apologies to 1coopgt, I was re-reading this thread and realized how poorly my post sounds, not my intention at all, I was still seeking 6s info and not discounting your input about the dual rate. I really need to get better at this whole written word thing as it rarely comes out as I had intended.

1coopgt
05-20-2021, 08:36 AM
No problem . My point was on 8s as MrMad said you can slow it down with the transmitter throttle limit switch. You were asking about 6s which I'm sure the boat will run on but it will be slower. You would need to monitor the temps of the Batteries ,esc and the motor.

Panther6834
05-20-2021, 09:16 AM
Saw this guys video and the boat seems a bit calmer. Around the 19 min mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8AbEo8jhGITrue...but...he's NOT running at full-throttle (75% max, if even that), which he admits in the video. Our favorite "mad racer", on the other hand, was running full-throttle. What we don't know if whether he had the throttle switch set at 50%, or 75%, or whether he was manually not running full-throttle.

1coopgt
05-20-2021, 07:37 PM
Yeah I though he mentioned he was at full throttle when he was running with the wind. But your right you don't know what setting he was on .He hit 51mph so who knows.

I agree I like MrMads videos better.

MADRCER
05-20-2021, 09:39 PM
Even from the most recent video (posted yesterday), she's still hopping worse than a jackrabbit. Have you tried moving the batteries further forward? I'm interested in this, but I don't care for jackrabbits (unless it's for dinner...and, maybe, not even then).

Yeah I though he mentioned he was at full throttle when he was running with the wind. But your right you don't know what setting he was on .He hit 51mph so who knows.

I agree I like MrMads videos better.

If he hit 51mph he was on the 100% setting. His boat at the 19 min mark isn't maxed out by no means It looks like he was at the end of his packs. Boat will only run low to mid 40's on 75% setting. It's stable on that setting but open it to 100% you better pull your pants up before you pull the trigger lol. Poly is going to flex under load more than glass so that may be why some of the jackrabbitting is. My prop is too deep in the water on mine in these videos and if i raise it then it's adding a lot of positive to it...a lot of positive... so i need bend my stuffing tube more to get proper alignment that I want with the strut. I didn't want to break anything on week one with it so i'm careful with what i do with it as of now. But everyone wanted a balls out run so that's what i gave them. It'll get better as time goes on everything is new to everyone.

1coopgt
05-21-2021, 11:38 AM
Are ya going to be willing to write up what ya do to get her to run flat and fast?

MADRCER
05-21-2021, 02:41 PM
Are ya going to be willing to write up what ya do to get her to run flat and fast?

Sure, if I'm able to get it to run flat and fast. :tongue_smilie: It's pretty stable out of box until the 50mph range then it would get light in front.

1coopgt
05-21-2021, 04:42 PM
Cool

Ya I noticed there's no way to easily get into the front sponsons to add weight if you wanted which sucks. Could always drill a hole in each bulkhead and drizzle epoxy into the tips till the weight is right. Hopefully it won't come to that.

ACKopter
05-27-2021, 05:13 PM
FYI, Got my account charge notice today so they're stateside and soon to be on the way! Anyone catch MADRCER's latest video, 62/64 mph on stock power with a prepped prop before going airborn into a spectacular flip? Starting to think I might be in over my head.

1coopgt
05-27-2021, 07:28 PM
You'll be fine. He's still using the stock prop. Just prepped by Dasboata . Real good run. He's starting to tweak the boat to see what she'll do. Impressive speed on the stock balanced prop.

Ty89m
05-31-2021, 02:23 PM
I'm interested in this BJ 42, as well as the MG 36, though the single motor setup might be easier for me to live with as I'm not hugely concerned with big speed runs at this point. I also like the electronics setup in the new BJ 42, I've got a new DX5 Pro 2021 that will play nice with the ESC/Batts etc. Also seems the MG 36 might need some QC fixes and reinforcing, though perhaps it's improved since release. I suppose my main question is this: how is support on Proboat models long term? I'd like to think they'd support them for a few years at least, they're relatively simple electronics wise, so I suppose it'd be easy enough to utilize other electronics etc if it came down to it.

If I do end up with a new boat, think I'll grab the Traxxas Blast and rig it up to use as a recuse boat - seems it would work well in that role.

Anyway, thanks all!

jhurlbert
06-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Just got mine! First thing is i lubed the flex shaft. Man it was a b to get out (had to use a screwdriver to pry it out of the strut) It looks like you cannot remove the strut bushing from the flex shaft without pulling the prop and drive dog off. I wonder how well the grease is going to get into the bushing without removing the prop and dog every time.

Well i just found a vid on youtube of someone talking about this, his way was to remove the strut with the shaft and then removing the prop and drive dog from the shaft. Leaving the bushing in the strut. Seems like a pain in the ass just to lube the flex cable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DlVvRht_v9k

DBJr
06-03-2021, 10:19 PM
Just got a Blackjack 42 myself and like what was said earlier, greasing a shaft should NOT be this tough. I felt like I was going to break the boat trying to get it out.

Hopefully Steve will come up with a better alternative soon.

Ty89m
06-04-2021, 06:37 PM
Alright, couldn't resist, have one arriving shortly. Can anyone that has the boat in hand tell me what size tubing I'd need to setup a dual cooling loop?

MADRCER
06-04-2021, 09:11 PM
Alright, couldn't resist, have one arriving shortly. Can anyone that has the boat in hand tell me what size tubing I'd need to setup a dual cooling loop?

I posted this back on post 29.

The cooling tube is 6mm outside and 1/8 inside. More cooling can't hurt but the stock system doesn't overheat at all, not even close to overheating. I would use this tube here https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ng-1%2F4-clear

Ty89m
06-05-2021, 12:47 AM
duh, noob move on my part not digging a bit deeper in this thread. My apologies, and thanks for sharing that info once again - I appreciate it.

Also, it was your YouTube videos that prompted me to try out a boat!

MADRCER
06-05-2021, 02:36 PM
duh, noob move on my part not digging a bit deeper in this thread. My apologies, and thanks for sharing that info once again - I appreciate it.

Also, it was your YouTube videos that prompted me to try out a boat!

No worries, and have fun with it.

Ty89m
06-05-2021, 06:22 PM
No worries, and have fun with it.

I'm looking forward to hearing your long-term thoughts on this boat, and to see how far you can push it. I'm a bit nervous about having to retrieve a downed boat, as I'm not super keen on water, so I'll likely take it easy for awhile. Might have to build up a rescue boat and/or grab a small raft. Heck, looks like the tennis ball on the fishing pole method is an option too. I'm also looking forward to seeing how these function long-term, and to see what OSE comes up with for aftermarket bits.

1coopgt
06-09-2021, 06:23 PM
So my Blackjack 42 got here today. Seems like a very sturdy boat. It has a big motor in this thing. It's the same length as my Zonda but 3 inches wider. Also attached a pic of my NEU1527 1/8TH scale hydro motor next to the Motor in the Blackjack.

Ty89m
06-10-2021, 01:17 AM
Curious for those that own this boat, does your rudder have a bit of play? It seems to be the bottom bushing that is the most noticeable. This is my first boat, so not sure if that is normal, or if my bushings are out of spec. Beyond that, this this is a beast! Wasn't quite prepared for just how large this thing is in person - and like 1coopgt said above, the motor is no joke!

Panther6834
06-10-2021, 01:34 AM
Curious for those that own this boat, does your rudder have a bit of play? It seems to be the bottom bushing that is the most noticeable. This is my first boat, so not sure if that is normal, or if my bushings are out of spec. Beyond that, this this is a beast! Wasn't quite prepared for just how large this thing is in person - and like 1coopgt said above, the motor is no joke!My SonicWake (before installing the Boat Bitz dual-pickup rudder), and my Shockwave, both had a bit of "play" in the rudder...and, both are also by ProBoat/Horizon Hobby.

1coopgt
06-10-2021, 06:09 AM
Curious for those that own this boat, does your rudder have a bit of play? It seems to be the bottom bushing that is the most noticeable. This is my first boat, so not sure if that is normal, or if my bushings are out of spec. Beyond that, this this is a beast! Wasn't quite prepared for just how large this thing is in person - and like 1coopgt said above, the motor is no joke!

Yup there is a little play in the bushing on mine now that you mention it.

alvinm
06-10-2021, 11:25 AM
So is everyone running the strut all the way down in order to somewhat control the hopping?

GoFastNow
06-10-2021, 06:09 PM
Where do they get the 42 from? I have the Geico 36, and the hull is 36.5" long. My new BlackJack 42 hull is 39.5" long.

alvinm
06-11-2021, 08:52 AM
Maybe they're including all the hardware out back?

GoFastNow
06-11-2021, 10:57 AM
My BJ42 seems to have a gyro in the radio, how do you turn it off?

1coopgt
06-11-2021, 09:02 PM
My BJ42 seems to have a gyro in the radio, how do you turn it off?

What makes you say this?

alvinm
06-12-2021, 10:17 PM
Could be, I have a couple of Spektrum equipped cars with gyros but adjustments are made on the radio.

Panther6834
06-12-2021, 10:24 PM
Could be, I have a couple of Spektrum equipped cars with gyros but adjustments are made on the radio.Adjustments are done from the Tx...but, the 'gyro' (called 'AVC' by Spektrum) is built their RCs.

UpliFT-RC
06-13-2021, 11:30 AM
Took her out yesterday for the Maiden run but only took it out on 6s, since I did not have a recovery boat or a Kayak with me at the lake. All in all in ran very nice on 6s - i did not have any Heat issues or any other issues with the front popping up but then I again I was on 6s.. Today, I will be trying out my new pair of 4s - HRB 6000maH 14.2v 50c lipos and really see what this boat has with everything bone stock. Before I start dialing my boat in and switch over to a new Dasboata Prop.. (TIP) I have been hearing a lot of people says that they have having problems w/ the front end popping up when they hit the throttle when running on 8s. How I fixed that problem was I simply added an extra pool noodle towards the front of the boat and made sure that it a tight fit from side to side so I can add about 4 ounces of weight and I have it stuffed in my pool noodle and it seems to keeps the front end down for me quite well..

I will be recording my boat session today so it will be available for your review on my Youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz058axKQ3wzShJclEW6inA)
Make sure you click the subscribe button since i will be posting more videos on different Dashboata props that Chris Hoffman made for my Sonicwake36 that i will be testing out..
My PB w/ my Sonicwake36 was 65mph and that was when I was running the the Sonice3prop from Dasboata...It's going to be very interesting to see what type of Top End speed I can get with my BJ42 running on 8s with the Supersonic3 prop..

ACKopter
06-13-2021, 12:53 PM
How you fix that issues is I simply just added 2 200 gram weights and stuffed them up under my styrofoam that's in the front of the boat and it seems to keeps the front end down for me quite well..

I will be recording my boat session today so it will be available for your review on my Youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz058axKQ3wzShJclEW6inA)

Wow, thats nearly a full pound of extra weight! Hopefully some carefull set-up will be able to tune the bounce out. I look forward to seeing your youtube vid.

FYI whoever asked about the rudder slop, yes mine has it as well. Noticed it as soon as I took it out of the box and thought it was odd but apparently it is normal.

1coopgt
06-13-2021, 02:50 PM
Took her out yesterday for the Maiden run but only took it out on 6s, since I did not have a recovery boat or a Kayak with me at the lake. All in all in ran very nice on 6s - i did not have any Heat issues or any other issues with the front popping up but then I again I was on 6s.. Today, I will be trying out my new pair of 4s - HRB 6000maH 14.2v 50c lipos and really see what this boat has with everything bone stock. Before I start dialing my boat in and switch over to a new Dasboata Prop.. (TIP) I have been hearing a lot of people says that they have having problems w/ the front end popping up when they hit the throttle when running on 8s. How I fixed that problems was I simply added an extra pool noodle towards the front of the boat so it a tight fit from side to side and I added 2 200 gram weights and stuffed them in my pool noodle and it seems to keeps the front end down for me quite well..

Make sure you click the subscribe button since i will be posting more videos on different Dashboata props that Chris Hoffman made for my Sonicwake36 that i will be testing out..
My PB w/ my Sonicwake36 was 65mph and that was when I was running the the Sonice3prop from Dasboata...It's going to be very interesting to see what type of Top End speed I can get with my BJ42 running on 8s with the Supersonic3 prop..

Can't wait to see your vid. Will be interesting to see how your added weight affects the boat.

UpliFT-RC
06-14-2021, 08:11 AM
Here was my Maiden run yesterday without any weights and 100 % stock..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vpdUOZsyss

Panther6834
06-14-2021, 10:33 AM
Here was my Maiden run yesterday without any weights in it and 100 % stock.

Looks good...but, as expected, "hopping like a kangaroo" at full throttle. It's looking more & more like ProBoat/Horizon Hobby 'failed' on this one. I'm sure all (or, at least, almost all) BJ42 owners will figure out ways of making 'adjustments' to make her stable...but, honestly, a boat just out of the box should NOT need so many 'adjustments' just to be able to run it. This would be like buying a BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc, and finding out you have to keep it below 55mph, or the car will become unstable.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is due to having used Lexan for the hull. Even though it's has all that bracing, is probably still not enough to completely keep the hull from flexing...and, if such is the case, the hull is probably flexing every time the boat hops. Sorry, Horizon Hobby, but this is NOT acceptable.

UpliFT-RC
06-14-2021, 04:53 PM
Some minor adjustments and this baby will be flying like a missle over the water.

jhurlbert
06-14-2021, 06:46 PM
I have run this boat twice and there was some hop not crazy. You cant hold full throttle at almost top speed for more than 1.5sec. I was having blow over issues. I think i will try putting the strut down some from where it was out of the box i am also running 2 zeee 4s 9000mah 100c batteries and they have some weight to them.

Just installed rubberized battery straps hope that helps my batteries came loose after a couple flips

Panther6834
06-14-2021, 08:22 PM
I have run this boat twice and there was some hop not crazy. You cant hold full throttle at almost top speed for more than 1.5sec. I was having blow over issues. I think i will try putting the strut down some from where it was out of the box i am also running 2 zeee 4s 9000mah 100c batteries and they have some weight to them.

Just installed rubberized battery straps hope that helps my batteries came loose after a couple flips

How can you say "there was some hop not crazy", and then follow that up by admitting "You cant hold full throttle at almost top speed for more than 1.5sec"? If there was no problem, you should be able to hold full throttle continuously.

jhurlbert
06-14-2021, 08:32 PM
Ok so i take it back then i guess it hops. I just thought it wasn?t as bad as some were making it out to be.

And im still a newb i have only been boating for two years when i get a chance.

But ya compared to my sonicwake and miss gieco it hops

30notsnosmoke
06-15-2021, 12:40 AM
I have a blackjack 42, 2weeks now. I hit a goose @50 mph here is what happened, good didn't make it172914172914

IM also having trouble with the Strut bushing less than 6 sets of packs and bushing is wallowing out. Plenty of grease after each set of packs.

UpliFT-RC
06-15-2021, 06:16 AM
I have a blackjack 42, 2weeks now. I hit a goose @50 mph here is what happened, good didn't make it172914172914

IM also having trouble with the Strut bushing less than 6 sets of packs and bushing is wallowing out. Plenty of grease after each set of packs.

What happen did you goose it and it flipped over and damaged the Hull?
See I am going to start off with around 100 grams of weight towards the front of my boat and stuff it up under the styrofoam and see if that will keep the front end down.
I will be making another video this weekend and hopefully by adding a some weight towards the front that it will fix the hopping problem..

Panther6834
06-15-2021, 07:28 AM
What happen did you goose it and it flipped over and damaged the Hull?

No...I think he, literally, meant he hit a goose - as in, be killed a bird with his boat (unintentionally...at least, I'd hope it wasn't intentional).

30notsnosmoke
06-15-2021, 12:04 PM
Yes I accidentally killed a goose with the 42. A dog run a small flock of geese into the pond I looked both ways before I pulled the trigger and boom hit the goose at "50knots with no smoke" sorry about last post I'm getting use to this whole forum layout.. 172915

I posted on youtube as a public safety announcement. these boats are fast so be safe with these big fast boats

IRONCLAD RC yt channel

alvinm
06-15-2021, 12:08 PM
I want this boat to work but damn it's tough. It's weird how I can make a pass one way and it hops like crazy and when you go the opposite way it stays planted? I think you can shove an anchor in this hull and it'll still bounce..lol. What I hate the most is how much I have to work the throttle to keep it from bouncing. I know PB reads these forums so I expect a V2 sooner than later.

alvinm
06-15-2021, 12:10 PM
Yes I accidentally killed a goose with the 42. A dog run a small flock of geese into the pond I looked both ways before I pulled the trigger and boom hit the goose at "50knots with no smoke" sorry about last post I'm getting use to this whole forum layout.. 172915

I posted on youtube as a public safety announcement. these boats are fast so be safe with these big fast boats

IRONCLAD RC yt channel

That's not so bad for hitting a duck..

30notsnosmoke
06-15-2021, 12:11 PM

30notsnosmoke
06-15-2021, 12:16 PM
Instead of putting weight into boat I moved esc forward it actually helped with the flipping also runs better with the wind acts as a wing into the wind. I love this Boat. Just check stuffing tube alignment at collet and file a little longer flat spot on driveshaft so there's more room for shaft to contract I think it needs more than 1-2mm between bushing and drivedog.

njandy
06-15-2021, 12:39 PM
i’m expecting mine to be delivered thursday, i’ve never posted here but stalked for years. anyone thinking of putting some trim tabs on to help keep the nose down? id rather not add weights.

30notsnosmoke
06-15-2021, 01:20 PM
From what I understand trimtabs on a cat is a no non use the strut to adjust the ride of your boat down strut = bow down. Up strut angle = bow up..

UpliFT-RC
06-16-2021, 07:11 AM
Whats the link on youtube mate?

ACKopter
06-16-2021, 11:46 AM
Well i am finally going to head to the river and get some time on the Blackjack. It'll be my first ever boat experience, could get interesting. I was hoping to get some downward thrust on the drive but bending the stuffing tube(?) seemed to be a little more than what I'm willing to try and best I can get is parallel with the bottom of the hull and that has the bottom of the tube even with the hull bottom. Hope it runs fairly stable as I definately dont want it to flip.

GoFastNow
06-16-2021, 01:27 PM
To those that are trying to get to warp speed with this boat, what is an acceptable high speed, and how many crashes at speed are acceptable before damage is done?. If you take the boat for what it is, I really like it. It would be great for a spec class of racing. Its a fairly inexpensive BIG boat, not the fastest in the world, but not supposed to be, not the strongest boat, but its not carbon / kevlar either. Any person with a little r/c ability can buy, and have fun, its really big inside, has a ton of room inside. If you bought a boat and the first time you drove it, you went full throttle the whole charge, would you would say it needs more power?. This boat at 55 mph starts getting a little loose, but there is still more in it, seems cool to me. Mainly, I dont understand why so many try to compare this $600 boat to a $1500 boat. Its kinda like the Traxxas Slash Truck when it first came out, scale looks, and fairly inexpensive, all around fun in most weather or water.

njandy
06-16-2021, 06:05 PM
you guys running the boat, has anyone touched motor timing or left it at 7.5? real new to electric boats, there’s no carbs in this thing :w00t:

JonMar
06-17-2021, 09:18 AM
Hello all.. ive seen your videos on YouTube and also stories at FB ProBoat group.

My head is like fixed to get this baby track low and fast. As some of you might have already seen. Ripped off the styro and planted 200g led at nose. Better but not good yet. Next step is to add more weight at nose and pinpoint the speed I want to be able to ride on.

I?ve noticed everything affects everything. Static CG, thrust angle, dynamic CG, target speed where are you aiming for or aiming only good control.

Im at work trip now and when coming back will add 8s batteries instead of 6s after getting it plaan well. More power = more trouble. If it?s not working with 6s.. yeah not with 8s

What becomes to trim tabs. I?ve also studied they are out of question in cats but for example my veles29 is super stable with them. Pond or big pool I could say quides my target speed. By reducing top speed with drag increasing trims handling got so much better. It was good trade off. It?s now like locked on.

Have a good one and let?s keep in touch.

alvinm
06-17-2021, 10:48 AM
To those that are trying to get to warp speed with this boat, what is an acceptable high speed, and how many crashes at speed are acceptable before damage is done?. If you take the boat for what it is, I really like it. It would be great for a spec class of racing. Its a fairly inexpensive BIG boat, not the fastest in the world, but not supposed to be, not the strongest boat, but its not carbon / kevlar either. Any person with a little r/c ability can buy, and have fun, its really big inside, has a ton of room inside. If you bought a boat and the first time you drove it, you went full throttle the whole charge, would you would say it needs more power?. This boat at 55 mph starts getting a little loose, but there is still more in it, seems cool to me. Mainly, I dont understand why so many try to compare this $600 boat to a $1500 boat. Its kinda like the Traxxas Slash Truck when it first came out, scale looks, and fairly inexpensive, all around fun in most weather or water.

I'll compare the BJ 42 to my other $600 boats or even cheaper ones. None of them give me the headache this boat does. My M-41 has only blown over once, sonic wake has never blown over. My Zelos 36 is less than $100 more than the BJ 42 and the difference is night and day. At this point, I'm just trying to justify the $600 spent on it.

Panther6834
06-17-2021, 11:57 AM
When this boat was announced, I thought about it...but, I also decided to wait, to see how others liked (or hated) it. Part of this decision was based on them having used Lexan for the hull. I worked in the plastics industry 30+ years ago, and I had a VERY strong feeling this was a bad decision of ProBoat's/Horizon Hobby's part.

While Lexan is one of the strongest, and most indestructible, plastics made it it has other characteristics that area, most definitely, NOT complimentary to bring used in a boat hull...especially one as thin as that is an RC Boat. Even with the additional internal bracing (which is also plastic...and, a more flexible plastic, at that), is impossible to completely remove the 'flex' inherent in thin Lexan. Compare the thickness of the BJ42's hull against that is the SonicWake, and you'll instantly notice the difference.

Regarding the hopping, while it's probably safe to assume the great majority of this is attributed to the hull material, part of it could be attributed to a weight-balance problem. I know some are trying to 'resolve' this through adding weights and/or moving electronics further forward...but, did to the flex of the Lexan, to be completely honest, I don't foresee any of these 100% removing the hop. Adjusting the strut could help more than the other two methods, but the song the weights, and adjusting the strut, will probably help the most. I say this, not as someone overly familiar with FE boats (I've only been into FE for about a year), but as someone with a familiarity of plastics.

As for me, I've decided to NOT get the BJ42.

alvinm
06-17-2021, 01:26 PM
The problem with me is that I like ANY new boat that shows up at the hobby shop..lol Now I'm anxiously awaiting for the Impulse 32 (and no Lexan!)

ACKopter
06-18-2021, 11:44 AM
Okay, yesterdays maiden went fine although slow. Never went over 75% throttle as my location is not ideal if flip the boat (narrow section with unexpected boat traffic) Anyway as others have pointed out the 42 was a little bouncing and I was running the drive quite shallow in hopes of reducing the hop but no dice. Could someone explain the balancing aspect, I did it in third of the hull length from the back (should I be including the drive for this measurement?) and after adding 7 ounces up towards the front the boat is pretty nose heavy. JonMar put 200 g up front and that is wayyy more than my 7 ozs. Going to give it a try in a more open open area today and see how it goes. If im comfortable I'll let er rip a few times and see how it goes.

UpliFT-RC
06-19-2021, 01:37 PM
Well, I am heading down the lake and doing a lot of testing with some RC weights that I got from my LHS. They are 1/2oz sticky adhesive weights that i can stuff up front under the stroyafoam.
I am going to start out with 1 strip which equals 1oz and see if that will help keep the boat from coming up on me on 8s. Plus, I lowered my strut a bit so the boat of the boat will stay down more.

ACKopter
06-19-2021, 06:25 PM
Well, I am heading down the lake and doing a lot of testing with some RC weights that I got from my LHS. They are 1/2oz sticky adhesive weights that i can stuff up front under the stroyafoam.
I am going to start out with 1 strip which equals 1oz and see if that will help keep the boat from coming up on me on 8s. Plus, I lowered my strut a bit so the boat of the boat will stay down more.

Okay, I'm a little confused. You said you had the problem solved by stuffing 2 200 gram weights (14 oz) under the styrofoam but now your starting over with 1oz of sticky weight?

FWIW I drilled a 1/2 hole through the styrofoam towards the nose of the sponson and inserted 7 oz of weight (3.5 on each side) roughly 4" before the tip of the boat. It does help a great deal if the boat has a smooth run, otherwise it almost seems to induce more bounce if it hits any ripples or wake leading me to believe Panther6834 definately has the hull characteristic figured out. I really need to find a better location as my river area is less than ideal to run full throttle without fear of flipping or worse between the boat traffic, current, floating debri and jumping Sturgeons:scared: which I completely forgot about.

ACKopter
06-20-2021, 01:29 PM
Because its raining here and there is NO chance of running in the river on the weekend anyway I've done a bunch of homework and came up with a few changes to test on my next outing. I read up on balancing and as luck would have it my original weight placement was right at 33% . I moved the weight a little farther forward and now have a balance point of almost exactly 35%, which is about max from what I'm able to determine. Next I raised the drive strut where the bottom of the strut is about 1/16 above the bottom of the sponson. One thing I seem to have issues with is a little excess water in the hull so I took some shrink tube and sealed the strut where the stuffing tube enters it so I hope that solves that problem. Soon as I get a chance to wet the boat again I'll post my results. I caught a youtube video of someone running an ABC 1817 and the boat seemed very well behaved so I have one of those on the way and see how it does once I get all the other bugs ironed out as best as I can.

njandy
06-20-2021, 01:46 PM
took my boat out today for the first time today, water was really choppy so there was no chance of going full throttle but i have to say the boat handled it way better than i expected. flipped it once because i got a little to comfortable. overall i’m really happy with the purchase, there are a few small things that could be improved upon but that’s the nature of rtr rc’s. i know there’s a few people on the fence about getting one but if it can handle rough water and a goose strike i’d say it’s a pretty solid boat. got a couple photos jumping out of the water. 172941

jhurlbert
06-20-2021, 09:11 PM
Hit something in the water. Bummer

ACKopter
06-21-2021, 06:57 AM
Well thats a bummer. I've been thinking of getting a replacement as a "just in case" if not for anything else other than to eliminate down time while waiting on replacements.

alvinm
06-21-2021, 11:07 AM
Okay, I'm a little confused. You said you had the problem solved by stuffing 2 200 gram weights (14 oz) under the styrofoam but now your starting over with 1oz of sticky weight?

FWIW I drilled a 1/2 hole through the styrofoam towards the nose of the sponson and inserted 7 oz of weight (3.5 on each side) roughly 4" before the tip of the boat. It does help a great deal if the boat has a smooth run, otherwise it almost seems to induce more bounce if it hits any ripples or wake leading me to believe Panther6834 definately has the hull characteristic figured out. I really need to find a better location as my river area is less than ideal to run full throttle without fear of flipping or worse between the boat traffic, current, floating debri and jumping Sturgeons:scared: which I completely forgot about.

What a coincidence, I did the same except I used a super long drill bit and made a hole through the styrofoam reaching each tip. I poured 4 oz's of epoxy on each side. It's funny how the tips are now rock hard. I have a bunch of weight strips in front of the esc that I'll remove for this testing, along with changing strut depths. Hopefully I can get more consistent flat runs.

ACKopter
06-21-2021, 02:55 PM
What a coincidence, I did the same except I used a super long drill bit and made a hole through the styrofoam reaching each tip. I poured 4 oz's of epoxy on each side. It's funny how the tips are now rock hard. I have a bunch of weight strips in front of the esc that I'll remove for this testing, along with changing strut depths. Hopefully I can get more consistent flat runs.

Very similar indeed and I too used a super long drill bit. . From your description I think the only difference is what we actually used for the weight. I opted for a 5/8 bolt with the head cut off and I made a slot in the end so I can literally screw or unscrew the bolt and it will change the bolts position (and boat CG) depending on how far towards or away the weight is from the tip of the sponson. Keep us posted as to your test results and I'll do the same.
I'm all set to go but it is raining pretty hard at the moment so I'm stuck here waiting out the weather.

JonMar
06-22-2021, 05:14 AM
Quick question about the epoxy.

Because I’m useing pool noodles stuffed around to make the front back stiff (included weighs at front), how well epoxy with fiberglass fabric stays in this plastic matherial?

alvinm
06-22-2021, 12:11 PM
I'm thinking it should bond to the plastic with no issues.

Nick1979
06-23-2021, 04:37 PM
For those of you who had a chance to try the BJ 42 - is it worth the $600?

ACKopter
06-23-2021, 06:23 PM

As a first boat, for me the answer is yes. I have flown planes for the bulk of my R/C experience and I am really enjoying myself. I wish I had easier access to a better area to run the boat though. You would think that living within a half mile of two rivers and not far from a town called Lake City it would'nt be too tuff.

UpliFT-RC
06-23-2021, 06:23 PM

100 % ITS AN awesome boat!!
Check out my first run with it on 8s.
https://youtu.be/2vpdUOZsyss

ACKopter
06-24-2021, 06:47 AM

What did you finally settle on for weight amount and placement?

Its Thursday already and I still have not had a chance to get mine wet again, maybe this afternnoon but there is still plenty of rain in my area so it's iffy at best.

R_Kephart
06-24-2021, 12:17 PM
The 6110 does have a gyro built into the receiver. To shut it off you need to bind the radio in non AVC. Power on the RX and press the bind button 3 times and hold it down until it starts blinking. Then hold bind button on the TX. This will disable the AVC. This RX was used to provide long range telemetry versus the SR315 receiver. Here is a link to the manual:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-horizon-master/default/dwff7675e2/Manuals/SPMSR6110AT-Manual-EN.pdf

alvinm
06-24-2021, 12:24 PM
What affect will disabling the AVC do to the boat?

R_Kephart
06-24-2021, 01:08 PM
What affect will disabling the AVC do to the boat?

AVC is disabled out of the box. I have heard of a few instances that this was enabled, which it should not be. The AVC "ON" will limit a few factors of the boat including the throttle response and the overall steering. This will make the boat wonder a bit, and will also reduce the throttle as the wonder progresses.

UpliFT-RC
06-26-2021, 09:02 AM
Check out MY 1ST RUN WITH MY BJ42''
https://youtu.be/2vpdUOZsyss

JonMar
06-26-2021, 09:14 AM
Pls upload also your progress runs 🙏👍🏼

njandy
06-26-2021, 09:37 AM
i’ve got a couple good runs out of my boat so far. i’m for sure going to get a better water outlet that locks in place. i noticed while putting the batteries in it’s easy to pop the water line off and have it fall in the boat without noticing. will also get a traxxas style receiver box. my factory receiver box was completely full of water after a run which isn’t a super big deal since the receiver is water proof but i run in salt water and it corrodes the connections super fast. i put a little too much faith in the factory box and didn’t grease and of the connections in there. not sure what you other salt water guys use but on my gasser boats i spray connections with cheetah grease. a little pricey but stays in place and cleans up easily.

UpliFT-RC
06-26-2021, 10:08 AM
I posted this back on post 29.

The cooling tube is 6mm outside and 1/8 inside. More cooling can't hurt but the stock system doesn't overheat at all, not even close to overheating. I would use this tube here https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ng-1%2F4-clear

I am running the OSE Extra large tubing thats 8 mm Outside Diameter with a 4 mm Inside Diameter vs using the 6mm outside tubing.
I already INSTALLED 1 grommet and just need to install my 2nd one AND MY WATER OUTLET and then i CAN start running my water lines...

JonMar
06-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Well as what I can say is that drive it.. test your temps, drive it again.. test temps etc.

Optimal would be speed and stable enough to your needs with cool enough electronics stamped by the manufacture 😎👋🏼 How easy life can be

JonMar
06-26-2021, 01:35 PM
This not meant to be ironic for sure. I?m just bored and over energetic at my work trip to test this thing out 🕺🏼

Peter A
06-27-2021, 03:40 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this on 6s with bigger props? From what I have read the motor is 1350 kv so on a 50-52mm prop should give reasonable speed on 6s. I'm asking as I am contemplating buying one. Also would the extra weight a pair of 6s batts in parallel and a bigger prop with more lift settle some of the handling problems? Can anyone test this out?

JonMar
07-02-2021, 09:47 AM
Quick update.
Back on track to do some Tests.
Too bad i did not have time to solder my 8s setup. 6s still.

200g nose with strut lowest point negative angle.

Flies nice over water just about to start rising nose for flip but no. Very good

300g at nose. No even a sign to blow over.

Prop 45mm 1.4

Videos coming soon

Speed. No idea due battery empty in my gps.

ACKopter
07-02-2021, 02:07 PM
Mine is well behaved at slower speeds but I cant mange anything more than a very brief WOT as this thing is literally flying across the water and constantly ready to blow over. I finally did mange to flip it. Went in backwards and did a full submarine which ripped both batts loose and rendered the boat dead in the water. It was a rather violent crash but at least I got to do a real live rescue drill which went reasonably well. Everything checked out okay but I'll be making some other minor adjustments before my next outing. Better battery restraint for one and going to mess with the strut angle a little as well. When I do go WOT the boat is riding very nose high which appears to be compounding the blow over issue, if I can get it running flat to start with then I hope it would really help the situation.

If things continue like they are now I'll have to consider more drastic measures to get things under control.

JonMar
07-02-2021, 04:03 PM
6 batteries testing behind and I?ve gone to conclusions as following:

Even a little Choppy water can easily hide your real ridequality. Day run with minor waves and this lady was working just well. Nose Stick on water and no porpoising at all( 260g at nose)

Same situation 1h later and porpoising was back.

More tuning with angels and weights. Got it to run ok with 360g at nose. Had to rise slightly prop angle.

Testing and hope to get the videos tomorrow

Brushman
07-03-2021, 05:17 AM
Hello,

it is not a good idea to put mass far away from the CoG, it can keep the nose down, but will not stop the porpoising and can increase it due to polar inertia. You should put larger capacity, heavier batteries. If you have no porpoising with choppy water, it means that air is not trapped by the tunnel , but can escape from the sides. It can be caused also by the last surface touching the water, I mean the last "pad", if it is not flat at the rear, to check that, put a ruler on this last surface and see if its is flat longitudinally, if not , you will have to add material that sticks on polycarbonate. If none of these tricks are working, think of an air dam... In my opinion, this boat is too light for these speeds.

JonMar
07-03-2021, 07:36 AM
173035Here you go:

https://youtu.be/9wH61EQmq1Q

https://youtu.be/JTnW04aSwSo

45mm 1.4 prop

67km/h

6s

JonMar
07-03-2021, 07:57 AM
Hello,

it is not a good idea to put mass far away from the CoG, it can keep the nose down, but will not stop the porpoising and can increase it due to polar inertia. You should put larger capacity, heavier batteries. If you have no porpoising with choppy water, it means that air is not trapped by the tunnel , but can escape from the sides. It can be caused also by the last surface touching the water, I mean the last "pad", if it is not flat at the rear, to check that, put a ruler on this last surface and see if its is flat longitudinally, if not , you will have to add material that sticks on polycarbonate. If none of these tricks are working, think of an air dam... In my opinion, this boat is too light for these speeds.

Thanks. This just fun fun and Im not take it too Serious. Not hunting the top speed. Just good handling and easy quick fun.

Bottom is straight and level. Latest video is done with prop strut level with bonttons. Angle down wards maximum mecanically

JonMar
07-03-2021, 10:16 AM
Just came and hit 4 set of batteries with a lot different setups.
too bad I have this 4514 prop only with my and 6s

I have found my peace. 8s next
��

UpliFT-RC
07-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Day 1 of testing out my new dual cooling system on my #blackjack42.
i have one of these exit water outlets on each side of my boat.

jhurlbert
07-05-2021, 09:07 AM
Update

Im running 2 4s 9000mah batteries that weigh 736 grams each. Fully forward with the strut down and i put 70 grams in front of the esc.

I am convinced this boat still is not nearly heavy enough for its size.

At full throttle it still starts to bounce then blows over.

UpliFT-RC
07-05-2021, 11:30 AM
For test run # 2 on 6s I had 2oz's up front. For my next test, I am going to put in another 2oz which will equal a total of 4oz's up front including my 4s lipos pushed all the way to the front on each side of the my boat. Also, I am tossing on an Dasboata Sonic2 / X447 Prop and see how she runs today..

Raydee
07-06-2021, 06:33 AM
Update

Im running 2 4s 9000mah batteries that weigh 736 grams each. Fully forward with the strut down and i put 70 grams in front of the esc.

Have you tried moving the strut and a different prop. Sometimes just a prop change will make a big difference.

alvinm
07-06-2021, 09:12 AM
I agree. My current setup with stock prop barely bounces. When I changed to a larger prop, it bounced uncontrollably.

jhurlbert
07-06-2021, 09:42 AM
Update

So all i had was another 70grams i put in front of the esc. There was a slight chop and some wind but i feel like i am getting close. Still blew over once but almost made a full wot 8s pass

Raydee
07-07-2021, 08:55 PM
Really starting to think I may cancel my order with my local shop. I have not seen a single video where this hull stays on the water unless its running 35mph. Really bummed because I really like the hull and power system.

Peter A
07-07-2021, 09:09 PM
Really starting to think I may cancel my order with my local shop. I have not seen a single video where this hull stays on the water unless its running 35mph. Really bummed because I really like the hull and power system.

Check out HOTMPBC on Fb. They have a couple running well at speed on the oval.

Raydee
07-07-2021, 10:04 PM
Do you have a link, I did a search and it turned up no results.

Peter A
07-07-2021, 10:15 PM
Do you have a link, I did a search and it turned up no results.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/330511467426467

Raydee
07-07-2021, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the link. Looks like they Def have the hull figured out. Now I feel a little better about keeping my order.

jhurlbert
07-08-2021, 07:36 AM
Water conditions were better today not perfect but i was able to do full wide open throttle 8s passes only a little bounce but no blow over. Still going to put another 70-100 more grams in it

jhurlbert
07-08-2021, 07:59 AM
Also ever since i damaged my prop shaft and strut bushing after hitting something in the water. I replaced them and now when greasing the bushing slides out of the strut no problem. I don’t think there was any damage to the strut, but it has made the greasing process allot easier. It seems to fit in there nicely like it should with no play or vibration that i can tell

ACKopter
07-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the link. Looks like they Def have the hull figured out. Now I feel a little better about keeping my order.

Ray, I saw your post in the FB link asking what the secret was in keeping the nose down. I'm not 100% certain but a good starting point is they are using 9000mah batteries. It has been mentioned twice here in this thread that using nose weight might magnify the issue and I personally find this to be true from my own testing. I bought new batts for this boat and am not looking to buy more (9000mah vs the 5000mah I already purchased) so I have some lead sheet that I intend to wrap my 5000mah batteries with to achieve a good balance and remove the nose weight I already have, hopefully solving the issue.

Might be a week or so before I can get it sorted out but I'll let all here know how it goes when I get rountoit.

Raydee
07-10-2021, 08:53 AM
I heard those guys are running 9000mah packs and a ton of weight up front. Their boats are def running good and stuck to the water but I can't imagine the damage there is going to be if you blow one over at full speed with all that extra weight. Proboat was so close to having a great boat with this one....maybe the next one will be the ticket? For now I cancelled my order but I am not ruling out buying one in the future.

ACKopter
07-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Another plan foiled. My removable nose weight turns out is not so removable after all. The weight is stuck up in the nose and I cant easily get it out without tearing out all the styrofoam which I dont really want to do. So, new plan of attack is, since the boat is already balanced properly with the nose weight in place I'll proceed with strut angle and height and maybe a little more weight to see if I cant get things under control. If not then Ill have no choice other than pulling out the styro and re balancing with much more additional weight in the forward battery location.

jhurlbert
07-10-2021, 02:26 PM
I have been adding sticky tire weights in front of the esc. They wont go anywhere even at a full speed blow over and can be removed easily

Raydee
07-10-2021, 06:00 PM
My LHS must think there is something wrong with me. I ordered the boat last week and then two days later cancelled it. Today I decided to put the order back in and there is no way out of it this time. After seeing the posts from the HOTMPBC on FB I am pretty confident I can get it to stay on the water.

jevmax
07-10-2021, 11:59 PM
Here is a link to a video taken this week. I am racing the Blackjack 42s again. This time I am running the black one on a course tight to the buoys. My competitor is a licensed Formula One driver, who has raced all over the world, but this is the first time he has gotten to run a radio control vehicle. He did well letting the white one breath through the turns and carry the speed. The BJ42 likes to drift through the corners. I may fabricate a skegged strut for one of them to see how much that tightens it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaKAEHXCHKw

Raydee
07-11-2021, 06:08 AM
You guys def have them dialed in. I know guys don't like to give away their secrets on their race boats but I am curious to know besides the heavy packs is everything else stock?

ACKopter
07-11-2021, 10:07 AM
Here is a link to a video taken this week. I am racing the Blackjack 42s again. This time I am running the black one on a course tight to the buoys. My competitor is a licensed Formula One driver, who has raced all over the world, but this is the first time he has gotten to run a radio control vehicle. He did well letting the white one breath through the turns and carry the speed. The BJ42 likes to drift through the corners. I may fabricate a skegged strut for one of them to see how much that tightens it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaKAEHXCHKw

That was an awesome video, and an awesome location, thanks so much for posting that here. Now for a few questions and probably of most interest is your prop selection and how the electronics handled the almost continuous WOT for the duration of the video, did you make any modifications to the cooling system? Of course everyone here I'm sure would like to know exactly what you did to get the hull so well behaved. Please share.

jevmax
07-11-2021, 12:25 PM
You guys def have them dialed in. I know guys don't like to give away their secrets on their race boats but I am curious to know besides the heavy packs is everything else stock?

Hi Raydee,
Did you receive my reply this morning with all the detail?
JimV

2turbofords
07-11-2021, 12:35 PM
Sweet video, looks like they are dialed in nicely. White boat seems to have a little more speed in the straights?

jevmax
07-11-2021, 12:54 PM
Sweet video, looks like they are dialed in nicely. White boat seems to have a little more speed in the straights?

The last time I raced them, the black one seemed faster? I think the way he was driving the white one, he was drifting and carrying speed through the turns. I was running tighter to the buoys, and had to accelerate out of the turn into the straight.

jevmax
07-11-2021, 02:16 PM
That was an awesome video, and an awesome location, thanks so much for posting that here. Now for a few questions and probably of most interest is your prop selection and how the electronics handled the almost continuous WOT for the duration of the video, did you make any modifications to the cooling system? Of course everyone here I'm sure would like to know exactly what you did to get the hull so well behaved. Please share.

The ESC and motor was about 120F after that run. We used 5000mah of the 9000 available. The lipo packs were at less than 120F.
Both of the boats are set-up the same with two exceptions. The black one is using LMT 6mm connectors, and it has a temporary air dam in the tunnel. The white one is using 10mm connectors from OSE.
Otherwise, the changes made include:
*Thinned and sharpened Prather S225 prop
*Twin cooling water tubes and aluminum outlets added
*Carbon fiber plates glassed in for the lipos to rest on with Velcro
*Struts adjusted slightly negative
*Greasing the flexshaft and oiling the motor bearing every two or three runs
*Zeee 4S/9000mah lipo packs, all the way forward to the foam
*G10 ride pads bonded to the last two sponson ride surfaces

ACKopter
07-11-2021, 07:18 PM
The ESC and motor was about 120F after that run. We used 5000mah of the 9000 available. The lipo packs were at less than 120F.
Both of the boats are set-up the same with two exceptions. The black one is using LMT 6mm connectors, and it has a temporary air dam in the tunnel. The white one is using 10mm connectors from OSE.
Very informative and extremely helpful, really appreciate you taking the time to supply the info!

naveda_08
07-12-2021, 01:11 AM
Some heavier duty coupler/collets for the BlackJack42, I decided to order some after I saw my buddy strip his out pretty quickly. I have had better luck on my ProBoats with these Zonda style ones. I will stock more if need be

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224507436665

Raydee
07-13-2021, 07:19 AM
Hi Raydee,
Did you receive my reply this morning with all the detail?
JimV

Jim, sorry I didn't see a reply. Are you guys really taking the whole strut off the boat in order to grease the cable?? I have watched a ton of vids and it looks like because of the stepped shaft that most guys are removing hardware to get the flex cable greased.....that is insane if that is the case. Once I have the strut set on my boats I rarely change it and having to take it off and get it back to the same spot every time I grease the flex just doesn't sound right.

ACKopter
07-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Jim, sorry I didn't see a reply. Are you guys really taking the whole strut off the boat in order to grease the cable?? I have watched a ton of vids and it looks like because of the stepped shaft that most guys are removing hardware to get the flex cable greased.....that is insane if that is the case. Once I have the strut set on my boats I rarely change it and having to take it off and get it back to the same spot every time I grease the flex just doesn't sound right.

After pulling the entire strut assembly several times to service it I opted to pull the sleeve out of the strut. I removed the entire assembly and heated the strut to loosen the glue they used and pulled the sleeve out of the strut and cleaned all the glue residue off of it. Now its simply loosen the couple collar and pull the shaft out with the sleeve in place. There are a couple vids on you tube on the procedure. I'm not exactly crazy with the outcome though, it seems like the sleeve has a little too much clearance without the glue holding things firmly in place. I am uncertain as this is my first boat so I have no other experience from which to judge. Just some food for thought.

Raydee
07-13-2021, 04:28 PM
I like the idea of the sleeve holding the flex so that if the cable ever snapped before the step then you would not loose the prop but taking the strut off every time I lube the cable is crazy. I am guessing someone will come up with an aftermarket strut with skeg and even extended back some to possibly help with the hull jumping up and down. Then we can just use the standard speedmaster brass bushing.

alvinm
07-14-2021, 09:53 AM
Yeah I remove the shaft with sleeve and all and grease it. I also noticed the play within the strut without the adhesive but so far it's been okay. I'm more concerned with all the hopping at high speeds.

njandy
07-14-2021, 05:32 PM

have you had continued success with the zeee packs? i bought two 4s/5200mah about a month ago, one swelled up pretty good and the second swelled a little. i ran with them twice. zeee was kind enough to send me two new ones for free but i?m nervous about them. i?m loyal to no brand but i have two sets of gens ace i got on sale that run fine in the boat with no issues.

jhurlbert
07-14-2021, 06:04 PM
I have a bunch of zeee batteries and no problems. I have the 9000mah zeee 100c for my bj42 and have run the boat about 10 times with no problems. But i am not doing big long high speed runs like in that youtube video

jhurlbert
07-14-2021, 06:05 PM
I think the boat calls for 100c and i dont think the 5200s are 100c

fweasel
07-14-2021, 06:33 PM
I think the boat calls for 100c and i dont think the 5200s are 100c

Its a made up number for the most part. Use a quality pack with tested C rates above 50C

njandy
07-14-2021, 07:29 PM
maybe i just got a oddball set. sorry to hijack the thread. back to our regularly scheduled boating

ACKopter
07-18-2021, 09:22 AM
One thing to consider on the batteries, if you run the batts down till the ESC hits the low voltage cut-off it is exceptionally hard on the batteries as the default setting is too low. I found this out on the very first run, don't think it caused too much problems but the batts were pulled down too far for sure and that can most certainly cause puffing.

ACKopter
07-18-2021, 09:35 AM
Does anyone have an alternate source for the strut bushing and flex shaft? I would like to have a spare as a just in case and Horizon has the flex shaft backordered and you can only get the strut bushing if you purchase it with the stuffing tube and liner which drives the cost up excessively. wont say I'll never need another tube in the future but just want the bushing for now.

njandy
07-18-2021, 01:32 PM
One thing to consider on the batteries, if you run the batts down till the ESC hits the low voltage cut-off it is exceptionally hard on the batteries as the default setting is too low. I found this out on the very first run, don't think it caused too much problems but the batts were pulled down too far for sure and that can most certainly cause puffing.

the first thing i did was raise the low voltage cut off to the max the esc would allow. programming could have been a little better illustrated for sure.

jevmax
07-18-2021, 10:01 PM
I remove the bushing and the flex cable together. No need to remove the strut every lubrication.

jevmax
07-18-2021, 10:02 PM
Yes Ray, that is just what the boat needs. Maybe Stumpfab or someone will come out with that upgrade part.

ACKopter
07-23-2021, 03:04 PM
Does anyone have an alternate source for the strut bushing and flex shaft? I would like to have a spare as a just in case and Horizon has the flex shaft backordered and you can only get the strut bushing if you purchase it with the stuffing tube and liner which drives the cost up excessively. wont say I'll never need another tube in the future but just want the bushing for now.

Anyone?????

jhurlbert
08-11-2021, 07:43 PM
So right now i am running zeee 4s 9000mah batteries all the way forward with 280grams in front of the esc strut down and with fresh batteries i still have some bounce and blow over issues. Going to throw in another 140 grams and see how she goes

R_Kephart
08-11-2021, 07:56 PM
So right now i am running zeee 4s 9000mah batteries all the way forward with 280grams in front of the esc strut down and with fresh batteries i still have some bounce and blow over issues. Going to throw in another 140 grams and see how she goes

Do not run the strut all the way down. Run the strut so the top sticks up from the mount about 5mm. The try again.

UpliFT-RC
08-12-2021, 06:53 AM
By installing these trim tabs you will be able to keep the front of the boat down..
I seen guys on Youtube hit 70mph with this boat with Trim Tabs...
One down and one to go!

jevmax
08-12-2021, 10:21 AM
I have had no problems with the Zeee packs, but that means little. You find a very large range of product quality coming from Asian suppliers. Some guys will say they are great and last forever, while his buddy has a bad experience. Lipo pack quality is inconsistent, regardless of the brand.

Peter A
08-12-2021, 03:22 PM
By installing these trim tabs you will be able to keep the front of the boat down..
One down and one to go!

They look just like Pursuit trimtabs!

koen
08-13-2021, 03:55 AM
just TFL trimtabs just a few $$ more for the name

UpliFT-RC
08-13-2021, 06:18 AM
Here are the pair that I am getting ready to test out this weekend at the local lake.

https://oxideanmarine.com/products/trim-tabs-blaxkjack-42?_pos=1&_sid=ac917a6de&_ss=r

Yvon
08-17-2021, 05:58 AM
Hello all!

I'm new here, new in boating as well.
Veteran in Cars mainly, a bit of drone and heli and planes too.

From France, Britanny.

Just bought a BJ42, had it run in the Mediterranean sea last week, pretty good.

Then for my 2nd run, It ran for 10 meters then nothing....

Aster investigation: one battery got some water from previous run the day before, and 2 cells not really in good shape and one solder completely ruined... by salted water ...

Of course, everything is waterproof except the batteries :-(

My batteries:
https://rc-performance.com/produit/lipo-ec5-6200/

Questions:

Can I use some hot glue to seal the batteries (wire holes)? Or do you have other options, like putting them in a sealed plastic bag?

Now, with regards to the cooling system, on some YouTube videos, I can clearly see the water jet going out from the second tube in the tail. On my boat nothing, looks like the water does not come in the cooling path.
I checked the entries and nothing is blocked, may be I am not going fast enough (was doing 75% throttle)...

Also, when I first started the boat, plugged the batteries and then pressed the on/off button to power the boat on, or off, no issues.

After my first run, the button was inoperative, nothing... had to unplug the batteries to power it off.
The next day, when I plugged the batteries back, the power went on immediately without pressing the button. and will not power off when pressing it as well.
Have you ever seen that?
A day later it was ok, looks like the power button is not waterproof as well?

Thanks!!!

Yvon

1coopgt
08-19-2021, 09:08 PM

You do know you can set the low voltage cutoff so that you don't damage the batteries when it reaches LVC .

Sparky814_hawk
08-21-2021, 10:01 AM
Has anyone thought about aero add-ons to keep the nose down on this boat? I am thinking about 3d printing some front aero add-ons to see if it helps.

I have literally run this boat wide open with only the prop in the water. Fun but when it blows over it sucks

ACKopter
08-21-2021, 12:46 PM
You do know you can set the low voltage cutoff so that you don't damage the batteries when it reaches LVC .

Yes, thank you. I found out awhile back and have since reprogrammed my esc.

1coopgt
08-21-2021, 05:10 PM
Sorry AC I didn't mean that to sound quite so harsh. Glad you got it all set .

ACKopter
08-22-2021, 06:17 AM
Sorry AC I didn't mean that to sound quite so harsh. Glad you got it all set .

No worries, I didnt take it that way at all.

It's been quite awhile since I've had a run with the BlackJack. Lots and lots of rain in my area for an extended period of time has elevated water levels both in the river and local lake which has all but eliminated bank access so it may be a pretty good while before water levels return to normal and get out on the water again. Rivers are still above flood stage for several weeks now:thumbdown:

alvinm
08-22-2021, 02:39 PM
No need. A set of trim tabs keeps the front end down. Speeds of 70+ are a breeze.

1coopgt
08-27-2021, 07:20 PM
One down and one to go!

Hi Uplift do you have any more pictures (Close up) . Did you mount them flush to the bottom of the hull or up a little bit ?

naveda_08
08-27-2021, 07:45 PM
Can you turn at speed with the trim tabs? I thought trims tabs were not very good for catamarans

UpliFT-RC
08-28-2021, 11:12 AM
I took off my trim tabs since its was dragging big time no matter what angle I had them set at so I removed the Oxidean Marine Trim Tabs.
This boat was not made for speed runs anyhow it was made for ripping laps anywhere from 45-55mph.....
I am sure you can make them work but for my speed runs I went out and bought the new v2 Miss Geico Twin Zelos..��

This a run w/ out my trim tabs and a brand new Dashboata prop...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ATYkj6lc0&t=120s

jevmax
08-28-2021, 12:57 PM
Looking good!!!

I took off my trim tabs since its was dragging big time no matter what angle I had them set at so I removed the Oxidean Marine Trim Tabs.
This boat was not made for speed runs anyhow it was made for ripping laps anywhere from 45-55mph.....
I am sure you can make them work but for my speed runs I went out and bought the new v2 Miss Geico Twin Zelos..��

This a run w/ out my trim tabs and a brand new Dashboata prop...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ATYkj6lc0&t=120s

GarageMakerGuy
08-28-2021, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie on this forum and got back into RC boating after 30 years. Received my Blackjack 42 last week and can't wait to get it in the water but I am doing the right thing and prepping the boat the best I can before the maiden run.
Thanks to everyone here on the forum and on YouTube that has taken the time to provide extremely valuable information on how to address some of the issues with the Blackjack 42 to make it more stable, reliable, and just more fun on the water. Here is my "pre-flight" maintenance list that I am working on (let me know if you have any recommendations or questions):
1.) Grease the flexshaft and align it with the collet
2.) Pool noodle fix for securing the batteries about an 1.5 inches from being all the way forward
3.) Seal the through-hull grommet for the stuffing tub
4.) Drive dog spacing and thrust washer - I could use a little help here - I've seen some people using a stainless steel drive dog with a thrust washer and I'd like to install them but I'm not sure which ones to get.
5.) Reprogram the ESC - increase the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) value
I think that's about it for the "must do" list.

Have fun and be safe.

Cheers,
Jeff (Garage Maker Guy)

alvinm
09-02-2021, 12:32 PM
I have smaller trim tabs that come stock on the Impulse 32. I don't do many high speeds turns, so I can't tell you if it affects handling. They definitely help on straight line passes though. It's about the only way to keep the front end down without adding all kinds of weight to the front or lowering the strut all the way down. 70mph passes are a breeze.

UpliFT-RC
09-03-2021, 07:06 AM
Here is my latest new Killer video of a two BlackJack42s ripping laps at 55mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-yJ8lrdofg

donthavta
06-09-2022, 07:49 PM
I have a Blackjack 42 , and ordered the cat runs with a left hander prop I ordered from OEI a upgrade Cnc-5016350 its right handed ? Anyone running Reversed ? Thanks

koen
06-10-2022, 01:22 AM
If you run this boat reversed the standard flex shaft will unwind and explode and some new parts for the driveline and maybe hull repair

donthavta
06-10-2022, 12:54 PM
Thanks ,I know about the shaft , been in model boating for 60 years .We started on tether lines . This is my first ready to run boat - no way is this a ready to run boat in my book .

koen
06-10-2022, 01:16 PM
yeah i know what you mean, ready to run exist only in fairyland, but if you sort out the weak points you will have a nice boat

donthavta
06-10-2022, 09:07 PM
WE have about 10 BJ 42's in are club, some are putting weights some have changed the strut, some have put on trimtabs. I'm old school you don't put trimtabs on a cat. Also, the designer of the strut can not be a hobbyist , you have to pull the strut to grease the shaft ? Now you have lost your setting. I know , I know , it is a fun boat One of are club member's has hit 69 mph . I hope to top that ,oh he has trimtabs , so much for old school !

donthavta
06-16-2022, 08:31 PM
I broke down and ordered trimtabs from ose .They only had blue, looks like all the bj42 items are going fast. I also balanced and worked on a X447 3 blade prop . Will be at the pond on Tuesday. can't wait.

donthavta
06-21-2022, 09:34 PM
AT the pond today the trim tabs made the boat hold the water as if it was glued down, hit the high 60's very happy

Raydee
08-28-2022, 05:44 PM
Anyone know if the stock motor mount will allow for a 56mm can motor? I am thinking a lower kv 56mm motor swinging a larger prop would be much more efficient.

Racingjake
09-02-2022, 03:37 PM
AT the pond today the trim tabs made the boat hold the water as if it was glued down, hit the high 60's very happy

You got to post some Pic's :banana:

Windays
09-11-2022, 09:36 PM
Anyone know if the stock motor mount will allow for a 56mm can motor? I am thinking a lower kv 56mm motor swinging a larger prop would be much more efficient.

Curious about this myself.

Stingray
10-14-2022, 11:35 AM
Some little upgrades of my BlackJack 42:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AV6elRgyQE&t=1s