PDA

View Full Version : Got a UL-1...let's see it!

Capt. Crash
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Here's the Team "NAVY" UL-88.

Jeff Wohlt
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Well mine is close... UL1. This was suppose to be the Pocket Mechanic but never got my decals done and then sold it. Plett 290/30/4 torque version on 12 cells and 642. It hauled. I would say it ran 35ish. With lipos today it would have been wicked fast. I think I had Gp3300 cells for this one. I still have some pletts so I still have a chance to test those motors with lipo. Looks like I did not have the wings on either. I knew those would not take the tumbles so I never put them on.

It is really deep red...not sure why it looks like friggin bubblegum...oh wait...no digital camers were around then. Where does time go :)

Grimracer
01-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Jeff.. you know what Grimracer says about pink boats?

Pink is cool if you are the fastest boat at the pond.. but if your not............................:bounce:..:just-kidding:.. i know its red.. its just the wrong boat in the wrong thread.. .i bet you knew that tho....:confused2:

Here are some pics of the prototype UL-1 Superior hydroplane at flight.

ROCK ON

Grim

Grimracer
01-29-2009, 07:50 PM
one more. perched... aha.... gota love it...

Hold still! .. it just looks fast sitting there..

Grim

Jeff Wohlt
01-29-2009, 09:29 PM
I just wanted to show off my old boat. It was the fastest on my lake...even though I am the only one on my lake! That proto type looks like the wood hull.

But back to your point...yes, Pink is certainly my favorite color (aerosmith dude) You would probably like the name of our BBQ team "Pink in the Middle" nothing much but a few weekends a year to get out a little BBQ, college girls, keg, jello shots and this usually goes on for two days...oh wait and a 40' RV with Dish and 1000 watt sound system...I only have one rich friend and he seems to not be able to stay married. Good thing or the RV would be history.

I'm pretty sure you were burning that stinky fuel while we were cooking ESCs and burning 1200 mah nicad cells! I thought I went to heaven when the 2400s came out. They could deliver a good 15-20 amps and usually dump before the race was over. Talking about propping right!

sailr
01-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Hot pink is a highly visible color though!

Pink is cool if you are the fastest boat at the pond.. but if your not............................:bounce:..:just-kidding:.. i know its red.. its just the wrong boat in the wrong thread.. .i bet you knew that tho....:confused2:

ROCK ON

Grim

killjoy781
01-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Here's the Team "NAVY" UL-88.

this one :iagree:

killjoy781
01-31-2009, 01:05 AM

ROCK ON

Grim

grim dood these images look so friggin scale!

im planning to cut out that black windshield and find me some thin clear plastic and cut it to match the black windshield,glue it and add very tiny little painted bolts over a very thin strip of black paint to make the look of where the glass meets the hull. (you dig?) THAT my friend should really give a scale look on this hull. i dont care what any1 says, im glad this hull was designed!!!:thumbup1:

JimClark
01-31-2009, 01:29 AM
http://jimclark.smugmug.com/photos/168616434_CN5gK-L.jpg

http://jimclark.smugmug.com/photos/168611362_UMUyh-L.jpg

Grimracer
01-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Oho Jim.. man.. you take the best dang hot shots of anybody I know...

Look at that UL-1.. MAN...........

WOW..

ROCK ON!!!

Grim

Grimracer
01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Kiljoy..

I got ya.... try this one..take your air bush and highlight the windsheild.. like this.. looks cool.

Pic is on the rinker..

grim

calcagno45
01-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow!! Jim, that first pictue is by the book of a hydro running!! Freakin awesome technology these days and we get amazing shots like that!! Those shots could help fine tune boats...

AWESOME!!

detox
01-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow!! Jim, that first pictue is by the book of a hydro running!! Freakin awesome technology these days and we get amazing shots like that!! Those shots could help fine tune boats...

AWESOME!!

You can almost see strut angle and depth in one of those pictures. BTW...what is the strut angle, depth, and prop?

Jeff Wohlt
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow...nice shots, Jim!

Do you shoot that with still or video and then clip a pic? I figure since you are mostly a still shot person you are letting the autowinder fly! (or that is what we used to have)

killjoy781
01-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Kiljoy..

I got ya.... try this one..take your air bush and highlight the windsheild.. like this.. looks cool.

Pic is on the rinker..

grim

you see what im talkin bout? thats what im mean....

but guess what im actually gonna do? im actually gonna get the front cockpit piece and build a lightwieght cockpit out of light balsa wood or somthin i could use. suggestions are open. cut to the shape of the inside (lol man its kinda hard to explain) BASICALLY MAKE A RACING SEAT WITH THE REST OF THE WHOLE 9 YARDS!

then, im going to CAREFULLY cut the black windshield off leaving a VERY thin strip of it left so i can glue the new CLEAR windshield on along with the same little bolts you have on that t-hull....

think about it!! you never see somthin like that on a model hydro! im sure some1 has done it....AND ITS SOOOOO EASY!

if any of you guys out there are bored and wouldnt mind doin this to your model go for it!!! as soon as i get my model in my hands, im going to begin that project and take many pictures as i can to start a scale look on a BADASS model !!!

so if any1 has any suggestions on what material i can use to make a small
lightwieght cockpit for the ul-1 i'd love to hear it!!!

once again thanx grim!!!!!

Darin Jordan
01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
http://jimclark.smugmug.com/photos/168616434_CN5gK-L.jpg

http://jimclark.smugmug.com/photos/168611362_UMUyh-L.jpg

Jim... you need to post the pics of the breakaway vertical fins in action! ;)

killjoy781
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
here are some images i found...kinda givin me an idea on how they look from the inside...its kinda hard to find images from the cockpit of these monsters!

ill give it a try!

detox
01-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Check out the power plant of one of these real UL boats. A blown BIG BLOCK CHEVROLET motor...makes me proud.
http://mysite.verizon.net/Jerryhopp/index.html

Grimracer
01-31-2009, 01:23 PM
D-man..

I can help.......hahahhaha

This was totally my fault.. Lynn got the crap eating end of the stick on this one.

ROCK AND ROLL.

Grim

Darin Jordan
01-31-2009, 01:27 PM
D-man..

This was totally my fault.. Lynn got the crap eating end of the stick on this one.

ROCK AND ROLL.

Grim

But the important thing was that the FINS worked as designed!! :thumbup:

You guys should release a special edition wooden version of the UL1... :cool2:

killjoy781
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
:ohmy:
D-man..

ROCK AND ROLL.

Grim
daaaaaaam!

how fast was it doin???

Rex R
01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
heh need a little driver w/ parachute for those blow overs ;).

JimClark
01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Stills only and you are correct lock on with the focus and let the shutter fly

Wow...nice shots, Jim!

Do you shoot that with still or video and then clip a pic? I figure since you are mostly a still shot person you are letting the autowinder fly! (or that is what we used to have)

AndyKunz
01-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Check out the power plant of one of these real UL boats. A blown BIG BLOCK CHEVROLET motor...makes me proud.
http://mysite.verizon.net/Jerryhopp/index.html

Cool site. Thanks. Back when I was manufacturing UL-1 hulls and ESCs I sponsored Jerry at a couple races. I think that was Detroit in 2000 or so, and maybe Evansville. What a blast - full size UL boat with an "RC-Hydros.com" logo on the tail! I built a Pocket Mechanic for the owner (my UL model was scale of the UL-72 & UL-125/UL-10 hulls).

Almost every one of the full-size racers is a really cool guy.

Andy

detox
01-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Yea these UL boats are TOO COOL. Shows that Grimracer has verygood taste when it comes to boat design. My wife loves the look of my UL-1 boat.

Littlescreamers
02-01-2009, 10:18 AM
The wife and I have been working on our paint job for a couple days now. Should be done in a few more days, I think your going to like it as it is all starting to come together and she is looking good, I got the idea watching American Chopper. Gatta love that Nubs that boy can paint! This project is a first for us so be nice

Scott

Littlescreamers
02-12-2009, 09:58 PM
See post above

Grimracer
02-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Little and wife...
Guys.. great job on the boat.. it looks fantastic!

GRIMRACER SAYS IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grim

detox
02-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Well she is not all done yet but I thought I would show what we have done so far.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000418
Scott

Nice color combo...Red and Yellow... reminds me of Kevin Harvick's #29 Shell sponsored race car. Although I still think the color White is best because it is very easy to see from hundreds of yards.

Capt. Crash
02-17-2009, 09:36 AM
From yesterday.

sewerpit
02-17-2009, 10:29 AM
nice pics what set up are you running prop batts ect?

Capt. Crash
02-17-2009, 11:57 AM
nice pics what set up are you running prop batts ect?

Same as noted in other posts....MaxAmp 5250s with the Grimracer 40X57/3.

Runs were 47-48 mph 1st lap...about 1 mph slower than last time with nothing changed. I figure the choppy conditions slowed me some....less time with the prop in the water. She ran great and took everything (full speed) I gave her in the corners. Repairs still holding up too. :thumbup1:

sailr
02-19-2009, 10:01 AM
My interpretation.
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/sailrjim/UL-1/DSCF0015-1.jpg

sewerpit
02-19-2009, 10:32 AM
nice

Jman
02-19-2009, 07:18 PM
That is sweet sailr. What did you paint the hatch with?

detox
02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Here's a simple idea...Florescent Red sides, but bottom of boat will be White just like the top.

sailr
02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Yahoo! That oughta be easy to see! Cool!

Here's a simple idea...Florescent Red sides and bottom of boat will be White just like the top.

sailr
02-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I used Krylon FUSION gloss black. I then clear coated it with Testors(?) Model Masters extra gloss clear. I'll run the boat for the first time Sunday.

That is sweet sailr. What did you paint the hatch with?

Jman
02-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I like the floresent red.

sailr
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Here are some pics of my UL-1 running yesterday. Pics taken by John Masciotti!

sailr
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
More

Capt. Crash
02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Rockin dude...how did she do...it looks like you over took the Miss Elam. Let's here the skinny man! :rockon2:

sailr
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Last set. BTW, my boat is the Red with black trim!

sailr
02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I won the race by staying out of everybody's way and finishing! haha. Actually, I was pretty impressed with the Miss Elam. It runs good! This was the first run ever on my UL-1 and it held it's own pretty well even with the stock prop. The guys who have been running theirs a while and have experimented with props and strut depth, etc. were faster than me by a couple of mph but they all flipped or smoked and didn't finish. The next heat after this one I changed from the stock plastic prop and put on the grimracer 40x52/3 and she came alive even more. Next time I get a chance to run, I'll play around with some more setups. I love the way the boat drives. Rock solid. I will tell you one secret, I'm running 5000mAh batts. The guys running smaller (lighter) batts couldn't keep the boat on the water! Weight is your friend!

Cheers!

Rockin dude...how did she do...it looks like you over took the Miss Elam. Let's here the skinny man! :rockon2:

sailr
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
One other thing, two of the guys were melting the solder on the motor/esc bullet connectors! Their boats were fast as hell, one was running an Octura M640 and the other an M645. They were scratching their heads. Simple...they were overamping with those props, generating enough heat to melt the solder. One of them had his ESC fail as well although it didn't smoke.

I've read somewhere that the M645 prop is the secret. I have one too but I'm NOT going to use it if it is gonna fry everything. Could be their strut needs to be raised more. Basically I'm just a Sunday boater and don't have the time or inclination to fart around with stuff and spend any more than I have to. I do know the boat runs great with what I have. After all, the secret to winning is finishing the race.... right?

Capt. Crash
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Great report....and I agree with the prop selection too. Although I'm only using the 40X57/3 and getting about 3-4 mph more out of it than the 40X52/3, it is a trade off in run time. I was getting 3 good 2.5min runs out of the less aggressive prop vs 2 runs out of the 40X57. Both set ups are very stable after shifting the weight forward though. I'm glad the Elam is running good too....it will make for more selection in a good ole back yard dog fight. :thumbup:

sailr
02-23-2009, 02:54 PM
The only problem I'm having using the 5000mAh packs is the boat wants to submarine really bad from a dead stop startup. Not sure if strut angle would help me here or not. I hate to screw with it too much because it's running really well. Not sure how long we ran but probably close to 10 minutes. I only put 3000mAh's back into my 5000 flightpowers after that run. Nothing was even warm.

Capt. Crash
02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm using 5250s and have to goose it full power momentarily to get out of the hole...if you have a air dam it will be worse because it drags in the water till you get up. I have no problem getting up on plane with mine and it hooks up (quits cavitation) within a few feet of giving full power once it's up. Sometimes it takes it 20-50 ft to hookup if I just go full power from a dead stop.

sailr
02-23-2009, 03:51 PM
yep, I'll have to play around with it. Every time I goosed it, it went deeper...;-0 I figured the airdam would just be problems so I didn't put one on. The guys running them can't seem to keep 'em stuck to the boat anyway. My boat doesn't have any tendency to blow over so no worries.

My 5000's will just BARELY fit in there lengthwise. What kind of 5250's are you using?

EATMYWAKE
02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
and what run times you getting with the 5250 batterys and what prop??? i cant seem to find an answer. and can't you guys just give the boat a little throttle and a shove to get it on plane? almost like a running start. like the nitro hydro's. great pics sailr

sailr
02-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Of course we can throw the boat in on plane, no problem. It's if we stop out in the water for some reason or want to do a dead stop start, getting it on plane is a problem.

I didn't really time my runs with my 5000mAh batts. We throw the boats in, make a couple of laps on a 330' course, and then do a flying start and race for 6 laps. Our total time out there is probably around 3-4 minutes. With the 40x52/3 brass prop, I use about 3000mAh. So I'm really only getting one run on a charge.

Read post #46:
Great report....and I agree with the prop selection too. Although I'm only using the 40X57/3 and getting about 3-4 mph more out of it than the 40X52/3, it is a trade off in run time. I was getting 3 good 2.5min runs out of the less aggressive prop vs 2 runs out of the 40X57.

Thanks for the comments on the pics!

sewerpit
02-24-2009, 12:21 PM
thought id go the decal route, i will be painting the cowl red and cockpit yellow , stickers make it look faster lol

sailr
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Looks good. Where do you guys find all your stickers!? I have gone by all the speed shops in Tampa. They always say they don't have anything.

sewerpit
02-24-2009, 07:02 PM
ill send you the link tommorrow when i get to my office, they have great stuff gotem on line, shipped home in two days

sailr
02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Great! Thanks! Will look forward to getting your source!

Jman
02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
sailr you are in Tampa? I am in Clearwater. Where do you run at?

sewerpit
02-25-2009, 08:44 AM
here you go sailer good luck ,crash daddy racing decals and patches

calcagno45
02-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I got some of those stickers when I bought the parts for my 350 SB... lol

Looks good on the UL1 tho!!

Capt. Crash
02-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I make my own on the ink jet printer like the ones on my UL-1 (see first post) and on the Team Navy Crackerbox seen here.

sailr
02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Cool! I'll check 'em out!

here you go sailer good luck ,crash daddy racing decals and patches

sailr
02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
We have a fun run once a month in Land O Lakes. About 15 us of total in the group. It's all electric. We run on a lake behind a guy's house. We are desperately looking for a small lake in our area where we can sanction it under NAMBA or IMPBA and create a formal club.

We would love to have you join us! Send me a PM with your email address and I'll give you the details!

sailr
02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Love the little cracker! Is that from Vacuboats? Length? Motor? ESC? Batts?

I make my own on the ink jet printer like the ones on my UL-1 (see first post) and on the Team Navy Crackerbox seen here.

Capt. Crash
02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Love the little cracker! Is that from Vacuboats? Length? Motor? ESC? Batts?

No...the Navy P-88 Boat is a scratch build 20" boat with Trinity 27 turn monster motor, currently powered by Maxamp 6 pack of 4700 Cs, going through a Electrifly C55 ESC, and scratch cooling coil with electric fan on the end bell. But I have a vac-u-cracker kit built one too.

Here are some more pics before we go back to the topic in hand.

properchopper
02-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Finally found graphics that fit my personality !:thumbup:

sailr
02-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Sweet!

No...the Navy P-88 Boat is a scratch build 20" boat with Trinity 27 turn monster motor, currently powered by Maxamp 6 pack of 4700 Cs, going through a Electrifly C55 ESC, and scratch cooling coil with electric fan on the end bell. But I have a vac-u-cracker kit built one too.

Here are some more pics before we go back to the topic in hand.

Darin Jordan
02-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Finally found graphics that fit my personality !:thumbup:

Tony... where is the pull starter and spark plug sticking up out of the hatch??? :tt2:

sailr
02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
We run at a guy's house on a lake in Land O' Lakes. We get together once a month. I think the group is going to Ft. Pierce for races in mid march so the regular march fun run may be put off. PM me your email. We'll add you to the list. Where do you run over your way?

properchopper
02-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Tony... where is the pull starter and spark plug sticking up out of the hatch??? :tt2:

Just fueling a secret :spy: desire (pun intended) ;)

Darin Jordan
02-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Just fueling a secret :spy: desire (pun intended) ;)

I think you should throw a fake plug on top and a pipe out the back just to confuse people... :lol:

properchopper
02-28-2009, 04:20 PM
I think you should throw a fake plug on top and a pipe out the back just to confuse people... :lol:

Don't give me any ideas ! Hmmmm.....

detox
03-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Experimenting with Tamiya Fluorescent Red Lacquer. I did not use any primer. I just scuffed fins using 00 grade steel wool then wiped surface using denatured alcohal before painting. I wonder how well this paint will hold up to being taped then untaped? I may paint entire hull this color?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRS68&P=7

Tamiya has a verygood paint finishing section on their web site.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/index.php?id=8

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/aviserated/02-21-2008jordanvideo066.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/aviserated/02-21-2008jordanvideo067.jpg

AndyKunz
03-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I have used it on ABS hulls very successfully. I don't know about a painted glass hull, though.

Did you use white as a base coat? It makes the red really glow!

Andy

detox
03-07-2009, 10:57 AM

Andy

I simply scuffed the factory White paint before spraying on the Fluorescent Red lacquer. This is a beautiful high gloss glowing color lacquer that can be color sanded then buffed for even more shine.

Warning: DO NOT USE the Polycarbonate version of this paint. Polycarbonate paint is only used to spray inside clear lexan car/truck bodies.

The White primer you see in background is for another project. I never used it on this boat.

CircusCircus
03-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Here is mine, painted with krylon rattle can and clear coated with Sikkens Autoclear III.

Doby
03-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Thats Purdy:rockon2::rockon2::rockon2:

Flying Scotsman
03-07-2009, 12:11 PM
That is one hell of a paint job. Are the black stripes paint. If so a double wow.

To Properchopper
Tony, I love your graphics

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
03-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I have used it on ABS hulls very successfully. I don't know about a painted glass hull, though.

Andy

Andy/Detox, you can use the TS series of Tamiya paints, BUT test for compatability with Tamiya surface primer on a small portion of the pre painted surface after wet sanding. Tamiya paints are fantastic. All my boats are painted with this paint

Douggie

sailr
03-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Be extremely careful using Steel Wool on your electric boat. Two reasons. First, the magnets in the motor can 'suck up' small fragments of the steel wool and cause you some serious problems like shorting out the fields, causing premature bearing wear, overheating, etc. Second, anyone that has ever used steel wool on a full size boat only does it ONCE. The tiny fragments from the steel wool lay on the gelcoat of the boat and cause rust stains that will NOT come out!

If you can find BRONZE wool, that's the stuff to use. I have tried unsuccessfully in the Tampa area to find 'fine' or 'extra fine' 3m scuff pads. I haven't tried an auto paint store yet. That's next. In lieu of all of the above, I use 600-1000 grit wetordry sandpaper.

Experimenting with Tamiya Fluorescent Red Lacquer. I did not use any primer. I just scuffed fins using 00 grade steel wool then wiped surface using denatured alcohal before painting. I wonder how well this paint will hold up to being taped then untaped? I may paint entire hull this color?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRS68&P=7

Tamiya has a verygood paint finishing section on their web site.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/index.php?id=8

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/aviserated/02-21-2008jordanvideo066.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/aviserated/02-21-2008jordanvideo067.jpg

detox
03-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Be extremely careful using Steel Wool on your electric boat. Two reasons. First, the magnets in the motor can 'suck up' small fragments of the steel wool and cause you some serious problems like shorting out the fields, causing premature bearing wear, overheating, etc. Second, anyone that has ever used steel wool on a full size boat only does it ONCE. The tiny fragments from the steel wool lay on the gelcoat of the boat and cause rust stains that will NOT come out!

If you can find BRONZE wool, that's the stuff to use. I have tried unsuccessfully in the Tampa area to find 'fine' or 'extra fine' 3m scuff pads. I haven't tried an auto paint store yet. That's next. In lieu of all of the above, I use 600-1000 grit wetordry sandpaper.

Good Info...Thanks!

Wool and Scotch Brite pads form to curved surfaces lots easier than paper ever will.

sailr
03-07-2009, 03:40 PM
And your point is? You have to work with what you can get and won't cause problems like steel wool.

Good Info...Thanks!

Wool and Scotch Brite pads form to curved surfaces lots easier than paper ever will.

AndyKunz
03-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Who would paint a boat with the motor in it?!?!

Andy

detox
03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
And your point is?

It would be well worth the effort to find some fine bronze wool or fine Scotch Brite pads. Fine sandpaper clogs TOO quickly and is difficult to hold on to while wet sanding.
http://www.steelwool.biz/Bronze_Wool.htm

longballlumber
03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Here is mine, painted with krylon rattle can and clear coated with Sikkens Autoclear III.

Looks really nice. Can you breif us on your prep?!?!?!?! Have you seen any "wrinkling" like Darin did?

Thanks
Mike

sailr
03-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Andy! You should know better than that! You and I wouldn't but don't you know there are a lot of people our there that do crazy things? They just mask off the cockpit and paint away! Even removing the motor doesn't do any good if it's sitting anywhere near where they're using steel wool.

Who would paint a boat with the motor in it?!?!

Andy

sailr
03-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the link!

It would be well worth the effort to find some fine bronze wool or fine Scotch Brite pads. Fine sandpaper clogs TOO quickly and is difficult to hold on to while wet sanding.
http://www.steelwool.biz/Bronze_Wool.htm

detox
03-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Wow! Nice job! Resembles Kellog's Tony the Tiger. How did you keep from painting the black windshield? Did you mask the black decal or remove it then reapply it after painting? Next I will be painting my cockpit and motor cover area Fluorescent Red.

CircusCircus
03-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi guys, I prepped the hull using 600grit wet. and then just started masking my lines using fine line tape. Canopy I used a gray scotch brite and special Sikkens product call Primer PO specifically designed for raw plastic, this ensures a good bond between the subrate and your paint (paint wont peel off when tape is taken-off canopy), I think every paint manufacture has this type of primer.

For the windsheild I just masked it off with fine line tape, I dont think its a decal detox.

No wrinkles, I didnt experience any wrinkles, but they can be avioded by not pounding on your paint, go nice and light on your first two-three coats. Also Laquer and Enamel dont MIX, be sure the products you use are compatable.

longballlumber
03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Circus,

Thanks for you explination. I am almost finished with my sponson work which will leave me with preping and painting.

MIke

bustitup
03-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Here are some pics of my UL-1 running yesterday. Pics taken by John Masciotti!

that boat look familiar...did I see it at the Waveblaster meet in florida on sunday the 15th of march?

sailr
03-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Yes you did. I ran it in LSH class. Got 4th because I jumped the start in two out of three races, cut a buoy in another. DOH! Just think of the possibilities if I could drive! Haha.

bustitup
03-17-2009, 09:47 AM
LoL....at least u didn't HIT the buoy like the guy in the little rigger......it ma
de a loud pop and he sat there broken and dead in the water

sailr
03-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I nailed a buoy on saturday during practice and destroyed the nose cowl! That's why my boat looked so funny out there on Saturday! I think Mike got his rigger repaired later. I had a piece of brass tubing with me that got him back going I hope!

SHOWBOAT1
04-01-2009, 01:38 AM
hey, i saw the post and thought id show my boat ,i have never ran it yet,because i had to fix the hull at the turn fin because http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=448 it was broken when it arrived i fixed using Darins methed to repair, hope to run it soon.

sailr
04-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Nice! I like the rivets!

hey, i saw the post and thought id show my boat ,i have never ran it yet,because i had to fix the hull at the turn fin because it was broken when it arrived i fixed using Darins methed to repair, hope to run it soon.

sewerpit
04-01-2009, 07:35 AM
plain and simple looks sharp nice boat

Capt. Crash
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Cool Beans!:rockon2:

longballlumber
04-01-2009, 09:19 AM
This is mine... I did open up the bottom of the hull and did some work in the turn fin area to get some strength and structure in there. I also did alot of work on the sponson ride pads. I shimmed and sheeted the right sponson so that it had 1 degree of dihedrial. I shimmed and sheeted the left sponson so that is was completely flat. I finished shooting color on Monday. I will start putting it back together later this week.

Mike

sailr
04-01-2009, 09:44 AM
What is the theory of giving the right sponson 1 degree of dihedral?

This is mine... I did open up the bottom of the hull and did some work in the turn fin area to get some strength and structure in there. I also did alot of work on the sponson ride pads. I shimmed and sheeted the right sponson so that it had 1 degree of dihedrial. I shimmed and sheeted the left sponson so that is was completely flat. I finished shooting color on Monday. I will start putting it back together later this week.

Mike

Darin Jordan
04-01-2009, 09:54 AM

If you look at most of the fast riggers, you'll find that the outside sponson is flat, and the inside is about 1-degree.... I believe they do this to promote better tracking and to counter prop torque. I think it causes one of the sponsons to have a tad more drag, which offsets the prop torque and helps the boat track straighter.

I like the upgrades... similiar to the ride-pads I added on mine, which put the sponsons at just about the same angles... I think mine is more like 0.5 degrees on the left and 1.5 on th right...

Based on the reports of sponsons walking with these boats, I might be inclined to increase the angles a tad more to see if that could be overcome, but I'd replace or properely tune the turn fin first. Many of the pictures I've seen show the boat riding on the bottom of the turn fin. If the boat is fighting that hook in the bottom of the fin, that'll cause issues... Maybe throw a straight fin on there to get everything else dialed, then start playing with the hook. I've personally never had good luck with hooked fins... and always just use a straight one with about 5-10 degrees of inward angle...

longballlumber
04-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Maybe throw a straight fin on there to get everything else dialed, then start playing with the hook....

That is a good idea Darin. I may give that a try.

Thanks
Mike

longballlumber
04-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Darin alreay answered in detail. I was told that the flat and the 1 deg was the intention of the design. However, my hull had anhedrial angle on both sponsons. So, I went thru the process of making it right. As for the angles themselves, everyone has there ideas. Actually on Brian Blazer's 20 Whiplash it's the opposite. Flat right side and 1 degree dihedrial on the left. To each their own.

Mike

properchopper
04-01-2009, 11:35 AM
This works for me. Fuller's fin, basically bolts right on with one hole to drill. :smile:

SHOWBOAT1
04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
I ran the UL-1 yesterday and i must thank GRIM and Aquacraft for coming
up with an rtr that isnt a complete turd! It was very fast and easy to control
i have a lot of set up questions but overall its the best hydro ive ran,

H2OCamel
04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
:spy::rockon2:Shoboat nice paint! The rivits are very cool!

sailr
04-05-2009, 02:45 PM
It absolutely is a great running and driving RTR! I hope they will upgrade the quality of the construction of the hull soon. I will buy another one if they do! Problem is, I don't know if AQ will tell us when they do it!

I ran the UL-1 yesterday and i must thank GRIM and Aquacraft for coming
up with an rtr that isnt a complete turd! It was very fast and easy to control
i have a lot of set up questiopns but overall its the best hydro ive ran,

detox
04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
It absolutely is a great running and driving RTR! I hope they will upgrade the quality of the construction of the hull soon. I will buy another one if they do! Problem is, I don't know if AQ will tell us when they do it!

When Aquacraft made improvements to the SV27 they advertised the improvements.

Doby
04-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm SURE they will again.

engineerjoe
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
It was a little rough out today, only went upside down once:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/engineerjoe/RC%20boats/ULone014.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/engineerjoe/RC%20boats/ULone015.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/engineerjoe/RC%20boats/ULone023.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/engineerjoe/RC%20boats/ULone031.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/engineerjoe/RC%20boats/ULone046.jpg

Doby
04-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Nice Pics Joe.
One word of driving advice; the boat will generally go faster with at least part of the prop making contact with the water.:rofl:

sailr
04-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Nice pics! Don't worry, it's hard to keep the prop in the water when it's rough!

longballlumber
04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Here a few shots of mine after sundays run...

I also have a 20 sec vid that I will post once I get it figured out. Maybe I can have Steven post it on his Videos area....

longballlumber
04-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I finally got youtube figured out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v42NT6wXpew

Capt. Crash
05-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Here are a couple of pics from Saturdays fun. I posted a mess more over at RCGroups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772876&page=19#post12169011

I could not keep my boat in the water with the 40X57/3 and straight fin combo....no matter what. I put the prop....all the way down to 1 1/8"...didn't help.

Speeds where in the upper 40s with 49.0mph the fastest. LuckyDuc...my deans connector temps were around 150 degrees.

Crash

engineerjoe
05-04-2009, 04:02 PM
awesome pics - looks like the white ones just like flying!!

detox
05-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Sounds like the strait turn fin was a mistake. Go back to the curved UL-1 or bend the stait fin until it holds water in turns. My fin is tilted up a little. You can see the position of my turnfin against setup board in this link:http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=7539

Here's a quote from UL-1 manual:

TURN FIN – The turn fin is what holds the boat in the corners
at speed. The turn fin can also be tilted back and forth to
change the way the boat handles. Tilting the fin up (positive)
causes the boat to run tighter on the water and tilting it down
(negative) causes it to run looser.

LuckyDuc
05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Looks like you need to put some ailerons and an elevator on her.:w00t:

150 is good. I'm struggling to keep mine below 220.

Capt. Crash
05-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Sounds like the strait turn fin was a mistake. Go back to the curved UL-1 or bend the stait fin until it holds water in turns. My fin is tilted up a little. You can see the position of my turnfin against setup board in this link:http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=7539

The corners were not a problem....it was the front stretch. The straight fin was fine everywhere except the straightaway. I had no lifting problem with the stock fin...I never had a blow over with it even with the prop all the up to 7/8" and running the 40X57. It is hard to get hooked up with that setup but it runs pretty light and fast. I will be going back to it after I complete surgical repairs of the damaged glass in the fin area. Time to do Darin's turn fin mod.:unsure:

LuckyDuc
05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
You should also sand the paint and primer off the sponson and add a layer or two of glass on the outside. It's a larger project, but worth it in the end.

bigpapa
05-08-2009, 12:25 PM
latest addition

Brushless55
05-08-2009, 12:28 PM
How about a vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOzWkoAYU8

has anyone tried the L38x55 prop?

sailr
05-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Nice paint job! I like it!!

jingalls007
05-08-2009, 12:42 PM
latest addition

nice paint!!!! looks fantastic!!

jingalls007
05-08-2009, 12:49 PM
How about a vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOzWkoAYU8

yes to the 38X55 grim prop, I liked it but not as much as the M440. my favorite thus far (and wayyyy tooo much prop for the stock ESC and motor) is the X645. don't try it but that was a beast in the boat, my UL-1 just about popped a wheelie across the water, it was cool.

bigpapa
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
awsome video footage

Capt. Crash
05-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Some one in my club had one on his boat this weekend and that boat was glued to the water. He said it ran around 41mph. Here is a pic I took of it.

I read somewhere that the M440 is the same pitch/diameter as the Grim 40X52/3. I only got lower/mid 40s with the 40X52....but my boat was glued to the water.

Brushless55
05-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Ok, not sure if I should buy a L38x55, an M440, or40x52/3 ?
the vid I posted was with a S220

sewerpit
05-11-2009, 01:59 PM
tried the m440 this weekend got 42.4 on gps boat was glued to the water on turns it was on rails strut set at 1 1/8th, turn fin slightly up , 2 4900 25c lipos, i think i need to tweek rudder a bit boat ran awsome very impressive temps motor esp and batts all around 100 ran for about 3min

detox
05-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Ok, not sure if I should buy a L38x55, an M440, or40x52/3 ?
the vid I posted was with a S220

Buy all three then test to see wich one you like best. In perfect water my UL-1 reached 50mph using the m440 and the L40 x 57/3. I have not tested the L38 x 55 prop enough but it seems fast also. Flightpower 2s 25c 4900mah and Hyperion G3 2s 25c 5000mah lipo packs were used during all testing.

Brushless55
05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
were your temps different between the two props?

detox
05-11-2009, 09:25 PM
These are the only temps I remember using the m440...motor temp 119, esc 93, Q3 batteries 115
The L40 x 57/3 temps were similar...or not high enough to worry with.

Brushless55
05-11-2009, 09:31 PM
So about the same between the two..
good info, thanks

I have worked on my S220 a little more and will let it rip tomorrow on the water and see if I get more speed.

detox
05-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Water conditions play a big role in top speed. UL-l is very stable and fast in smooth slightly choppy water, but larger chop and race water will slow it down noticeably and make it more LOOSE. Playing with a more forward COG may correct this problem. I have two heavier 4s 35c 3300mah that I will mount sideways in front of hull. This may correct the looseness in choppy race water. Or adding lead may help also.

Brushless55
05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I think my UL-1 is a little faster in small chop

jingalls007
05-11-2009, 10:59 PM
i liked the M440 but after testing the 38x55 a bit more, i noticed more speed overall and quicker acceleration out of the turns. 38x55 ran hotter then the M440 as well.

detox
05-11-2009, 11:28 PM
i liked the M440 but after testing the 38x55 a bit more, i noticed more speed overall and quicker acceleration out of the turns. 38x55 ran hotter then the M440 as well.

Thanks for the info. I will have to try the 38 x 55 again.

Capt. Crash
05-12-2009, 08:31 AM
I got my 50mph run on a surface with a light ripple....using the 40x57/3. :buttrock:

Grimracer
05-12-2009, 09:52 AM
congrats.

Grim

jingalls007
05-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I will have to try the 38 x 55 again.

Also, for the 38X55 I put the strut at 1"

Rex R
05-28-2009, 07:30 PM
latest member of the 'Union Bank & Trust' race team

properchopper
05-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Nate, here's the pix. Inside tub, Reinforced fin, Ride pads & air dam.

sailr
05-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Cool fleet Rex!

latest member of the 'Union Bank & Trust' race team

nate
05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Here's My old UL-1, it was bought and backordered as soon as they came out, I love these boats, but this hull got on my last nerve and I sold it because of the turnfin mount.

My UL-1 was running high 40's ...maybe 47mph on a good day on an Ammo2300, and 45mm 3 blade prop, but as all good things come to an end... it took flight and blew over... as It floated to shore I noticed the whole turnfin was gone, bracket and everything, there was a nice neat hole in the sponson. So I parted it out and sold the hull on eBay. Good luck! lol

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1111008-1.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1111007-1.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1111010-1.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1111009-1.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1111011-1.jpg

nate
05-28-2009, 10:55 PM
These are old pic's my pool wasn't even open yet, it was still in the high 30's outside.

sailr
05-29-2009, 07:09 AM
The UL-1 is a real enigma. The boat runs great. The motor/esc, radio, and hardware is rock solid, but the quality of the hull is horrible. It's a shame. For about the same cost, AQ could have a good quality hull made. Go figure!

Capt. Crash
05-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Awesome fleet Rex...hope you get some big $ for that free advertising....:biggrin:

I get my UL-1 out again in the morning with the rebuilt hull and a 75% de-tongue on the 40x52/3 and will report back. I hope to get higher top end than the already awesome stock 40x52/3 prop but with lower amp draw/temps. I'm looking for 46-47mph. I wanted to raise my prop up to about 3/4" but the bracket won't let me go any more than just over 7/8"...the factory height. So I will try it there first. The added weight in the nose and starboard sponson due to the added glass, should help keep the nose planted in the straights and sponson planted in the turns. :popcorn2: My boat is now pretty solid and should last a long time if I stay outta the wall.

nate
05-29-2009, 12:20 PM
The UL-1 is a real enigma. The boat runs great. The motor/esc, radio, and hardware is rock solid, but the quality of the hull is horrible. It's a shame. For about the same cost, AQ could have a good quality hull made. Go figure!

Yes the hardware looks great in black, IMO, and everything is setup pretty good, and honestly I can't think of a faster RTR boats, but this will never take over the fact that with most of the issue's coming from the manufacture like the TF bracket, and very poor quality hulls being sent out...ugh they need to get that stuff straight, and Id go ahead and buy 5 of them lol. My UL-1 had really rough edges under the sponsons and in the rear. Looked as if it had got touched up with a diffrent color white paint, whats up with that..looked horrible. Oh well. I may still get another when they get them in stock again on OSE.

Here's a few more right before the crash happened..

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1006.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1005.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1004.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1003.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1002.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/ul1001.jpg

nate
05-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Also whats the deal with white...everyone has them...

has somebody got an orange UL-1 with pic's....

LuckyDuc
05-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Also whats the deal with white...everyone has them...

has somebody got an orange UL-1 with pic's....

I've got an orange one. Orange is faster BTW;)

Capt. Crash
05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Capt. D-day of our club has a yellow one and his wife has the orange. :popcorn2:

nate
05-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Nice, Sweet pic's man look good!!

bigpapa
05-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Mine

sailr
05-29-2009, 02:59 PM
What turn fin is that?

[QUOTE=nate;95174]Yes the hardware looks great in black, IMO, and everything is setup pretty good, and honestly I can't think of a faster RTR boats, but this will never take over the fact that with most of the issue's coming from the manufacture like the TF bracket, and very poor quality hulls being sent out...ugh they need to get that stuff straight, and Id go ahead and buy 5 of them lol. My UL-1 had really rough edges under the sponsons and in the rear. Looked as if it had got touched up with a diffrent color white paint, whats up with that..looked horrible. Oh well. I may still get another when they get them in stock again on OSE.

bigpapa
05-29-2009, 03:01 PM
He made it it's a nate custom trun fin (:

sailr
05-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I like it! Wanta make some more?

detox
05-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I just installed a Fiago 9xl and Hydra 120 in my UL-1. I will try it out later this evening if the winds calm down. I added two extra caps for extra insurance against esc failure.

IMO the 8XL is a better/faster motor for this hull.

Capt. Crash
05-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Looks good Detox!:thumbup:

bigpapa
05-29-2009, 03:44 PM
looks killer good luck with the wind

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

detox
05-29-2009, 03:53 PM
I may also try this Aluminum CNC prop if everything appears OK to use it. I will finish sharpening it with emory board.

bigpapa
05-29-2009, 04:17 PM
sweet looking prop, andy brown, heard good things about his props

nate
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I like it! Wanta make some more?

Im actually going to make one for bigpapa for his UL-1 in the morning,

Sailr,

If you have a design of drawing of one you want draw it up and post a picture and Ill make it for ya.

I usually charge $18.00 for a set, then $22.00 for the extra bolts and to polish it out before its sent.

But for just one hydro turn fin, it will be $20.00 Each polished w/bolts ect.

If anyone want's more let me know, PM me!

nate
05-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I just installed a Fiago 9xl and Hydra 120 in my UL-1. I will try it out later this evening if the winds calm down. I added two extra caps for extra insurance against esc failure.

Detox, Bad boat man, think she will burn 55mph?....:thumbup:

bustitup
05-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I may also try this Aluminum CNC prop if everything appears OK to use it. I will finish sharpening it with emory board.

sweet looking prop...no prices on there website...how much was that one

Brushless55
05-29-2009, 05:21 PM

I've not had one issue with my UL-1, and it runs awesome!
For an RTR under 300 bucks at tower that can run upper 40's (49.0mph on mine) with a decent prop out of the box, who can really complain.. :doh:
Not me

bigpapa
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
i have no complaints either mine came from darin fully modded and upgraded less motor and esc

line6
05-29-2009, 05:49 PM

That should rip pretty good:rockon2: Good luck

Rumdog
05-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Detox, that gear couldn't get more snug in there man! hopefully the esc holds up for ya, that thing sould really rip!

detox
05-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Changed my mind. I will be using the NUE 1515 1y/s (2200kv) with the Grimracer L38/55 prop. I will have to be very careful not to burn the ESC...no off and on throttle. If it does burn I will use my Hydra 240.

nate
05-29-2009, 07:57 PM
It shouldn't burn up that Hydra120 with 5s and right prop...

LuckyDuc
05-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Changed my mind. I will be using the NUE 1515 1y/s (2200kv) with the Grimracer L38/55 prop. I will have to be very careful not to burn the ESC...no off and on throttle. If it does burn I will use my Hydra 240.

I couldn't get the L38x55 to handle well with my 2200kv motor. Good luck. I'll bet you like the L40x57 a lot better.

detox
05-29-2009, 08:59 PM
OK...back from the pond. Wind was blowing and water was a little rough so I couldn't let her rip, but boat obviously faster. The most throttle I could give was about 3/4. I will try again in the morning on smoother water

Hydra 120 esc temp...170 degrees:huh:
NUE 1515 1Y .............131 degrees
Two G3 4s lipo's..........98 degrees

Brushless55
05-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Can't wait for the update Detox!

detox
05-30-2009, 02:03 PM
OK...back from the pond. No GPS, but I would say 60mph easily using the L38 x 55 prop and NUE 1515 1Y (2200kv). Weeds are starting to be a problem...rudder would hang weeds and boat would slow down noticably (around 45mph). Boat was very stable on glass smooth water, but once UL-1 hit a small wake it would get very loose (it flipped once). I will add lead tape to the outer sponsons to maybe help stabilize boat better. FUN FUN FUN

ESC temp.....145degrees
Motor............135
G3 Lipos........101

nate
05-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Detox!! Video Now!!:rockon2::rockon2::rockon2:

detox
05-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I will will have to get my wife or somebody to film video and then I will have to figure out youtube before I can post a video. Hopefully it will be soon.

When will you have the Phil Thomas hull ready?

nate
05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Ugghh Im done working on that thing for now, I got bored of that boat quick, I may sell it to get a bit of money to fix the trans problems in my car. Bummerr lol.

Yea 60mph Ul-1, sweet, Is it stable at that speed or wanna blow over?

detox
05-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Very stable on smooth water with no sign of blowing over. More weight should help stabilize UL-1 in race water.

jingalls007
05-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Ugghh Im done working on that thing for now, I got bored of that boat quick, I may sell it to get a bit of money to fix the trans problems in my car. Bummerr lol.

Yea 60mph Ul-1, sweet, Is it stable at that speed or wanna blow over?

bored?? did you even run it??

nate
05-30-2009, 03:34 PM
nope. still along ways from done man.

detox
05-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Edit

detox
05-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I think if I modified the sponsons of UL-1 by using less AOA it WILL handle rough race water better. This will take major surgery

Brushless55
05-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I think if I modified the sponsons of UL-1 by using less AOA it WILL handle rough race water better. This will take major surgery

Detox, what is AOA and how would you modify it? :confused2:

detox
05-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Angle Of Attack is the angle at which your sponsons attack the water WHILE RUNNING ON WATER. The UL-1 has what some say is excessive or too much angle (boat is flighty or loose even with the lower powered UL-1 motor/esc power). Rest your boat on setup board with bottom of strut resting on surface also. Look at how much the sponsons angle upwards toward front of boat. You want a little upwards angle, but less is best for a tighter running race boat (boat will be more stable and less flighty in race water). It would be difficult to change chage AOA of UL-1 without removing sponson bottom, but it can be done with LOTS of thought. There is a sweat spot.

detox
05-30-2009, 11:17 PM
On setup board with the boat resting on strut (strut adjusted 1" below hull) and sponsons, take a piece of 1/16 ply and slide it back under the sponson until it touches the ride surface. Measure the distance from where the ply touches to the Tale End of the sponson. You will notice the UL-1 has about 7/8" (I think). Shoot for about a 1.3" measurement if sponsons are modified.

Brushless55
05-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow! my learning curve is way up.. :w00t:

detox
05-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Raising the strut (mine is set 1 3/16") will have some effect on AOA and make boat run tighter. Along with adding more weight in the correct places...usually up front.

Remember a wet or tighter running boat is a hotter running boat. Sometimes this will be harder on the ESC and Motor.

Brushless55
05-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Raising the strut (mine is set 1 3/16") will have some effect on AOA and make boat run tighter. Along with adding more weight in the correct places...usually up front.

Remember a wet or tighter running boat is a hotter running boat. Sometimes this will be harder on the ESC and Motor.

How do I loosen up a boat?

My MM runs tight. my motor and esc get very warm..

detox
05-31-2009, 02:12 AM

COG or Strut Angle maybe. I know nothing about Cats and very very little about Hydros.

jingalls007
05-31-2009, 04:06 PM

I have a sprint cat which is very similar to the Mean machine. COG should be about 9.5" up from the transom. You should be able to adjust your COG with your lipos by moving them forward or back in the sponsons. Your mm should run on the last 3"-6" of the sponsons.

Brushless55
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
My cat runs tight with the COG set at 9 1/4"

JBILLINGS
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
i know its its not a superior but its a ul-1 :olleyes:, bby racing style !

jimmy

bigpapa
06-03-2009, 04:07 PM
pretty boat luv the paint job

Shooter
07-21-2009, 10:26 PM
New Paint!

Capt. Crash
07-28-2009, 08:48 AM
New Paint!

Sweet paint job! :thumbup1:

Shooter
07-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks Capt!

Brushless55
07-29-2009, 12:16 AM
New Paint!

Where did ya get the vinyl?
Looks good!

Shooter
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
I do vinyl graphics on the side. If anyone needs anything, let me know.

sailr
07-29-2009, 07:08 PM
I have everything to do vinyl graphics too but my danged STIKA cutter never wants to work right. I've had it serviced, etc. but still a POS!

Brushless55
07-29-2009, 10:06 PM

What would work on a yellow hull?
and how much?

Drag Boat Bob
07-30-2009, 05:41 PM

I am interested also. How much for a total set of something like you have (different of course).

Also, can I just send you a file? If so what format?

I asked my wife to take a picture of my UL-1 that I could post. Here is what I got... :doh:

TDM Racing
08-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Here is a shot of my latest creation.
So far the testing is going well and we are picking up speed with every testing session.
Just have to avoid that Loop Break Cross maneuver. :cool:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2605/img0674j.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/i/img0674j.jpg/) http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/img0674j.jpg/1/w800.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img193/img0674j.jpg/1/)

sailr
08-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Dang! That is pretty! Nice Job!

Doug Smock
08-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I asked my wife to take a picture of my UL-1 that I could post. Here is what I got... :doh:

LOL, Nice lake!!

Doug

sailr
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Dontcha just hate that? The digital cameras have an awful delay in them. Don't be too hard on her!

I am interested also. How much for a total set of something like you have (different of course).

Also, can I just send you a file? If so what format?

bigpapa
08-03-2009, 08:12 AM
sweet lookin UL-1 you got there

Capt. Crash
08-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Here is a shot of my latest creation.
So far the testing is going well and we are picking up speed with every testing session.
Just have to avoid that Loop Break Cross maneuver. :cool:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2605/img0674j.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/i/img0674j.jpg/) http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/img0674j.jpg/1/w800.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img193/img0674j.jpg/1/)

Very nice...that's what I was originally going to do with mine....and then decided to match my other team Navy boats with whats in the first post here.

Sweet! :thumbup1:

Crash

Shooter
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Geeeesh!! That Blue Angel boat is beautiful!! I thought mine was pretty, but that one takes the cake.

Guys, I've gotten a lot of requests for custom decals and I've been trying to reply to the PM's....so if you're interested, just PM me. I can do the Miller American theme (earlier in the thread) for 10 and anything else custom for 20. Thanks!

TDM Racing
08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys.
I was having difficulty getting the laser printer decals to come out with the proper yellow color so I just hand cut (3 hours later) all of that out of Yellow Monocote trim sheet. :smile:
The Blue Angel shield was a decal.

-Tom Mihelich

egneg
08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
This winters project ...

detox
08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Love those ul boats http://ulhra.org/

dreamland s4
12-28-2010, 02:51 PM
hello people of ose, my name is chris and i did a little project that i believe makes a hydroplane look great (if done right) however i dint have the experience/skills to do this kinda work but i tried......so this is what i used,,

coca cola bottle plastic (windshield)

tried to paint the outline in black (i suck lol)

and i found some little miniture thingys to mimic the bolts that seal the windshield (i dont know the name) at micheals.

what do u guys think? :popcorn2:

Brushless55
12-28-2010, 03:06 PM
good job Chris :rockon2:

dreamland s4
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
brushless55 thanks man.....im glad to hear that!!!!! i plan to order another canopy for the ul1 and make a perfectly detailed windshield. and a step by step with photos!

Brushless55
12-28-2010, 05:43 PM
keep us posted man!

dreamland s4
12-28-2010, 06:31 PM
will do!!!

Drag Boat Bob
12-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Looks good Chris... white is the fastest color you know...lol...

dreamland s4
12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
lol....agree!!!

hey what type of paint is best for my model?? sorry if i bumped!