PDA

View Full Version : NAMBA April Time Trial Monday 5th and Tuesday 6th 2021 Huntsville, Alabama

THE REAL GRIM
03-26-2021, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone,
please enter the Easter NAMBA Time Trial event on the NAMBA District 5 website www.nambadistrict5.com under the shopping cart.
That way I can get you set up in the computer. There is a section in there to let me know what classes you will be running.
The fee for the 2 day NAMBA event will be $25.00
Thank you, Kim 1

THE REAL GRIM
04-07-2021, 09:15 PM
Hello,
Congratulations to all Record Setters this last Monday - Tuesday,
There were 15 records set in NAMBA on Monday and Tuesday the weather was good a little breezy at times but everyone had a good time. I would like to thank, Mark Bullard, David Hall, for helping with the Time Trial and all the other people that helped with the set-up and tear down for those 2 days.
The help was very much appreciated I would like to also thank Mark Bullard for the BBQ, HOT and Regular fried munchies and Bill Zuber for the Chess Pie it was all yummy!!!!!!!

Thank you again,
Mark and Kim Grim

David Hall
SAW
1/2 A MONO
Sec: 4.306
MPH: 52.25

Martin Truex Jr.
2-LAP
1/2 A HYDRO
Sec: 18.053
MPH: 66.470

Martin Truex Jr.
SAW
A HYDRO
Sec: 1.898
MPH: 118.545

Martin Truex Jr.
2-LAP
B HYDRO
Sec: 15.614
MPH: 76.854

Chris Grim
2-LAP
A HYDRO
Sec: 16.494
MPH: 72.753

Rick Grim.
SAW
GAS TUNNEL
Sec: 3.056
MPH: 73.626

Kim Grim
2-LAP
SPORT 60
Sec: 23.569
MPH: 50.914

Huff./Truex Jr.
SAW
P LIMITED MONO
Sec: 3.149
MPH: 71.451

Huff./Truex Jr.
2-LAP
P LIMITED MONO
Sec: 27.461
MPH: 43.694

Huff./Truex Jr.
2-LAP
P LIMITED CATAMARAN
Sec: 26.610
MPH: 45.095

Huff./Truex Jr.
SAW
P LIMITED CATAMARAN
Sec: 3.161
MPH: 71.180

Huff./Truex Jr.
2-LAP
P CATAMARAN
Sec: 26.814
MPH: 44.752

Huff./Truex Jr.
2-LAP
P LIMITED OFFSHORE
Sec: 27.281
MPH: 43.98

Huff./Truex Jr.
2-LAP
P OFFSHORE
Sec: 26.178
MPH: 45.840

Mike Tally
2-LAP
A OPC TUNNEL
Sec: 28.784
MPH: 41.690

Mike Tally
2-LAP
B OB HYDRO
Sec: 29.805
MPH: 40.261

T.S.Davis
04-08-2021, 08:39 AM
Holy crap

photohoward1
04-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Spec? Custom wound Motors? Sure.

HTVboats
04-09-2021, 08:26 AM
Congrats! Have to tip my hat to Don (AMPDADDY). The sky isn't falling for P/L it's just a rocket into a new frontier with Martin doing what he does best.
Mic

T.S.Davis
04-09-2021, 03:11 PM
Spec? Custom wound Motors? Sure.

There are no "spec" classes.

photohoward1
04-09-2021, 06:15 PM
P limited? Limited to what? Pocketbook? Wiring skill?
I know the size thing but the intention of the class was to limit cost too?

I know it?s not easy to get these records and driver skill is a big thing. I would expect Martin to be better than most if not all.

But come on. Unobtanium!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T.S.Davis
04-12-2021, 11:02 AM
I know the size thing but the intention of the class was to limit cost too?

You can check the rule book but I'm certain there has never been a mention of cost.

I've had this conversation recently. Wasn't an argument. Worth sharing some thinks.

The limit is the size of the motor, the voltage, and the length of the hull. Period. That's it. The only difference from 2009 to now is that the motor list was replaced with a can size. Can size because no list will hold up. We've already proven this.

Here's a list of things you can do to find speed that some have the skills to do and others might pay someone with skill to do for them. There's more I'm sure:

Sharpen & balance propellers
Custom prop machining
Square drives
Scratch built hulls
Hulls designed specifically for the class
Machining the drive dog for less drag
Polishing the drive shaft
Polishing the inside of the stuffing tube
Blocking and blue printing the ride surfaces of your hull
Bias sanding
Sharpening all edges of ride surfaces
The lowest resistance cells you can find ($$$ same as when we bought matched Nimh really)
ESC's with lower resistance
Laser cut turn fins bent on a precision curve jig bendy thingy and sharpened until you could slay a dragon with em
Rudder sharpening
Custom machined rudders to be thinner for less drag
Rudders with no water pickups
Copper inserts to shim connectors to the tiny wires that come from these small motors
Oh! finding a thinner lubricant....but not too thin

I once had ML cut me a custom Wildthing in an effort to shave weight. Mike opened up the cutouts on all the bulkheads for me and framed it from 1/16" ply. Super light build. Pain in the a$$ it was so flimsy. That hull is one of one on earth. It never really worked well. Failed experiment. Not everyone can build something like that so I suppose it was totally unobtanium.

All those things I listed require either the skills to do them or the dollars to obtain them. I suppose you also need to know who to connect with. This has always been the case even when there was a motor list. The guys that could tune or buy tuning won more often than not.

Mike Ball described limited as having a "perception" problem of late. Not arguing that point because I think he's right. I just don't feel it's fair. That perception being that once you open up the can and replace the crap wire from china with good wire because you have the skill to do so..........nowwww it's wallet racing?

Don designed, molded, and lays up his own hulls. Mere mortals CAN do that but will they? What do we suppose the real dollar value is for a guy to take all those steps? I know a mold here in town by Sancuer Composites is $3k. How do you "limit" someones skills, creativity, imagination? Pete has been working on those Pearl hulls for years. I've built and test umpteen of them now. Not even sure how many actually. Is there a dollar value that can be applied to Pete's time, my time, all the times they didn't quite work how we wanted and ended up in the bone yard?

All that said......"limited" isn't what it was in 2009. In 2009 we weren't concerned with costs necessarily but we absolutely were trying to have a landing pad (pond?) for the RTR market. Proboat and Aquacraft were both making similar things to plop right into it. In 2021 there just isn't a large stable of RTR drop ins.

The can size is a limit regardless of "perception" to the contrary.

HTVboats
04-12-2021, 12:39 PM
I would not get to wound up on unobtanium. Don has learned by working and testing and does motors at reasonable cost. The Cat Martin drove is a production Vision (Shawn Junker) I lent to Don to break records with that we set and I knew could be lowered. Good motor, ESC, hull set up and prop, with a skilled driver. That's what records are. the best of the best.
P/L survives, will evolve and improve and be raced all over the country. As Terry said the can limit replaced a "motor list" that was stagnant. Is there a better system???
If the goal is cost put a real dollar limit and a claiming rule. Until then build and perfect your skills to keep up with traffic.
Mic

Doug Smock
04-12-2021, 04:14 PM
"P Limited" went away with any ESC, the motor list, and now, dimensions fellas. Dang near full P speeds, that was the goal right? Well done!! Please don't say the Limited rules discussions will start up again.. Folks just need to join the motor of the month club..:thumbup1:

T.S.Davis
04-12-2021, 04:56 PM
There was never an ESC in the rule set Doug.

The goal was not P speeds Doug. The goal was a "limit". Truth is that the motor was always always always the only limit. See my list.

If anybody can out run Mike or Tyler with a limited motor they deserve a medal.

We're not really having the limited debate again. There is no point. I was merely acknowledging the perception issue and that it makes zero sense to a logical person.

Doug Smock
04-12-2021, 05:19 PM
You're right Terry. The ESC was a District thing in the beginning, you know RTRs, any dummy can do it, introduction to FE.
I don't think there is a perception that there is no limit.
It's just that Don has been hard at it for three years(?) and hasn't found the limit yet. How are you doing with your motor builds?

T.S.Davis
04-12-2021, 06:54 PM
I haven't had to build any motors since my first handful. They don't die under normal racing conditions. Time trials may be tougher on gear. I did bake a 1y on Saturday. I didn't realize it was in the boat from the fall. First run of the year. DOH!

If you put a AQ or PB motor in a hand built Whiplash......is that RTR? Or a JAE? Or a Stealth? Or an Orca for that matter? What's RTR about a Cyberstorm with a Proboat 2000? Nothing. The class was never RTR. It was however a decent place for a new RTR guy to drop in to racing and learn.

A better debate might be........if "limited" is so close to full P speeds.......what do we need P for? It's a ton more expensive, same sized boats, the setups are prone to failure, and availability is nil. You will be building a P boat or you will not be racing a P boat. Especially for a class like P sport. Then on top, the guys that run full P rarely show up to field heats. So......why have it? Then again, I suppose if participation were used as the gauge for classes there would be "limited" and nothing else. Think of all the classes we never see. Scale.....gone. N classes.....what for? P once in a while if you have some guys in a pocket interested. Q is even more rare. S and T....yea right. Talk about deep pocket racing. Been there done that.

But limited.....well limited is the devil.....accept those guys show up.

Doug Smock
04-12-2021, 07:15 PM
Oh I expect your driver stand to be overflowing with guys Terry. Will you be hooking them up with the "motor of the month" so they can be competitive?

I could argue, (but I won't here) that with the Limited :blah: classes so close to P there is no longer a need for "Limited".

Anyway, you have at it. I just dropped in to say Congratulations to the record setters. And giggle a little. :hug1:

HTVboats
04-12-2021, 07:53 PM
As Sgt Friday says "Just the facts maamm"
Lets look at some D-13 history
Atlanta Spring Nats 2013 entries:
Gas 55, Nitro 125, Open 33 and FE 6 (P/L tunnels)

Moving forward to current 2021 ATL Spring Nats entries.
Gas 88, Nitro 63, Open 28, and FE with 36X60 (Namba rules) 44 P/L and 21 P&Q. Covid may have reduced some numbers but even with Doug pooh poohing limited it seems to be growing. I don't think you will be writing an Limited obituary any time soon.

Down here we had to cancel plans this spring for an FE event at Brandon. So going back a year we had a stand alone FE 2 day race with 165 boats, 61 P-Q and open, 8 Q/limited and 96 P/limited 36X60.
To me it sure looks like P/L is where FE roots are growing. 36X60 and a ROF from Atlanta won't kill it.
Mic
Retired Old Fart also.

Doug Smock
04-12-2021, 09:17 PM
Nobody knows D13 FE history better than me Mic. I brought it to the party in 07. 14 years is a pretty good run! The noise, (yes Terry I said it again lol) has already started on the "P-Minus" motor dimension thing here. We'll see where it goes.

Like I said....

Anyway, you have at it. I just dropped in to say Congratulations to the record setters. And giggle a little. :hug1:

T.S.Davis
04-13-2021, 12:59 AM
I just dropped in to say Congratulations to the record setters:

Come on Doug....you dropped in to take another swing at limited. You waited three posts deep to "congratulate" anyone.

You could argue that we don't need limited but you would still be wrong. Just as you were for the last 11 years that they were the most populated of all FE classes. Hey at least IMPBA is still holding the line so pat yourself on the back for that.

Mic, classes with a motor list or limit have been FE's most populated classes since 2003. Pretty much what your data shows has been the case since the original Limited Sport Hydro back in 03. Might have been 2002. It was eons ago. Guys argued about motors then too.

Doug Smock
04-13-2021, 01:50 AM
I said "and giggle a little" Terry, yeah I guess it's the same thing. My bad but then you won't pass up an opportunity either my brother.:tongue:

Terry you didn't answer my question. Are you going to hook your hobby shop & club racers up with Davis Rewinds? If they can compete with yours with off the shelf motors you're not doing it right BTW. I know the answer, never mind.

Seriously I'm done here guys. Have at it, my "limited" fleet has been retired so my dogs are on the porch..

Good luck with it and I'll see you at the pond fellas.

Sorry for the derail. Congratulations again Don and Martin!:tiphat:

T.S.Davis
04-13-2021, 08:48 AM
You mean like it has been for every class in racing since ever?

For P racing it was Graupner 700 8.4v, Graupner 700 9.6v. Plettenberg. Bring on the brushless motors. Tosded all my setups in the bin. Aveox, Hacker, Lehner, Feigeo, Plett, Neu, TP. Talk about motor of the day. Not to mention the speedo of day club. Astroflight, RC Hydro, Aveox, Hacker, BK, Castle (10 versions at least), Schulze, MGM, Hobbywing, Flycolor, Swordfish, Etti. Then there's modifying ESC's to suit an application. Nope no "of the day" anything in P.

Limited was AQ 1700, Proboat 1500, AQ 2030, then a new AQ 2030, then try to find an old 2030 because the new batch sucked. Next was the new style Proboat 1500. Then a Proboat 2000.

Racing is evolving technology and searching for speed. Always has been....always will be. This is true for every fuel source and every class.

Doug, you take shot at limited every time it comes up. Your arguments against it never hold any water.

To your motor question. I've already taught one club member to do it himself. I'll likely teach others. The wire costs next to nothing. It's the knowledge that has value. Like when Crowther lays up a Seaducer or Brian balances a prop.

HTVboats
04-13-2021, 09:05 AM
What works for a SAW or 2 lap may not complete well in 6 lap competition. Will rewinds take over? You can give horsepower to people and most don't have the setup or prop to gain diddle. All racing has people who maximize and improve. All competition has "wallet racers". Even with the most expensive equipment you can stuff into a 3660 it will not come near what a Q with single or twin motors will require. The can limit is a good start to control cost. It is easily inspected. You could make a rotor length rule or a battery weight rule but either would make a cumbersome inspection that isn't going to happen. Gas boats have "stock" classes that if torn down would eliminate a lot of people. Yet it is growing the numbers with the illusion you have equal equipment. The new guy in the feeder classes doesn't expect to dominate. He just wants to have a shot.
Mic

HTVboats
04-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Equal equipment is not just a motor.
Mic

HUFFRACING
04-13-2021, 10:25 AM
Congrats to everyone, especially AMPDADDY Don Huff and Martin Truex Jr.! If you are going to take one P-Limited record you may as well take a BUNCH of them, and while you are at it... grab a couple P records too!

To anyone who thinks AMPDADDY threw a big pile of money at the P-Limited class and miraculously a record breaking solution just reared its head you are SADLY mistaken. Has he spent some money to buy various motors and experiment??? Sure, but some of you guys have spent way more money than he ever will burning up box-stock P-Limited motors (I know because I see how many crispy box-stock motors get mailed to him for repairs on an ongoing basis) . It takes time, talent, and a tremendous amount of testing (aka trial and error) to come up with a "better mousetrap"...

You can argue over the intent of the class until the cows come home (and based on the neverending P-Lim rules threads around here... you will), but when it comes to setting records the rules published by the national sanctioning body are the gospel, and the gospel reads:

P-Limited Approved Motors
i) Motors shall be of an inrunner design and shall not exceed the following dimensions:
(a) Length: 60mm (2.362 in.), this includes any bearing protrusion
(b) Diameter: 37 mm (1.457 in.)

You can roll up quite a few $100 bills and stuff them in a can measuring 37 x 60 (if you really think money is the answer)... See how that works out for you! :w00t:

Later,
Lamar

T.S.Davis
04-13-2021, 10:42 AM
Yet it is growing the numbers with the illusion you have equal equipment. The new guy in the feeder classes doesn't expect to dominate. He just wants to have a shot.
Mic

That's the perception thing that Mike was referring to. We talked about it at our last club meeting. No shouting just us all trying to be honest with each other about it. Some of our best drivers, guys that can hold their own with just about anybody were/are of the opinion that the motor was unfair advantage. Same guys were okay with better cells, a one off hull, blue printing, an $80 prop, and guys that practice lap after lap after lap to be able to run decent lines and find the sweet center of gravity. My son has been racing cars twice a week. Once he raced 7 events in 9 days. How tight is his hand/eye coordination going to be this summer? Little bugger was a pain in the a$$ before. Then still some of us make up for our sad driving skills with speed. Raising my hand on that one.

There is no way to equalize race boats or racers such that it boils down to just their driving talent. Unless we have one boat, one motor, one prop, and no practicing. My opinion at least.

T.S.Davis
04-13-2021, 10:53 AM
By the way.......

Saw a guy tuning his nitro motors on a dyno. Outrageous skills went in to the machine work. Spits out power graphs. Not sure what all it does. Wayyy over my head but very trick. I assume he'll be providing motors to all his competitors so they can compete with him.

HUFFRACING
04-13-2021, 11:05 AM
By the way.......
Saw a guy tuning his nitro motors on a dyno. Outrageous skills went in to the machine work. Spits out power graphs. Not sure what all it does. Wayyy over my head but very trick. I assume he'll be providing motors to all his competitors so they can compete with him.

That nitro motor dyno is a work of art, just beautiful machine work! I'm interested to see what he does with it.

Lamar

Reesor@work
04-13-2021, 12:07 PM
You are taking about Terry Keeley...his work is incredible. Terry is a perfectionist and it shows in every single thing he does.

Doug Smock
04-13-2021, 12:39 PM
Doug, you take shot at limited every time it comes up. Your arguments against it never hold any water.

Umm, Apparently mine and others did. But whatever, I said I was done. Like in the past, we can just agree to disagree my friend.:hug1:

It's all been said over and over again.:speedboat2

See ya at the pond fellas!

Doug Smock
04-13-2021, 12:43 PM
You are taking about Terry Keeley...his work is incredible. Terry is a perfectionist and it shows in every single thing he does.

Hi Steve,
He doesn't mind going the extra mile for the IMPBA either. He has always rounded up equipment needed to keep the depots in timing sensors. One of the good guys for sure!

donhuff
04-13-2021, 02:26 PM
For the RECORD on those record motors I used the other day. The first passes made with the mono were done with a motor I made up from a couple different motors that I had in the "junk box" of old burned up stuff. It was put into an AQ can, YES a true 36x56 motor. And it went 69.993 on the SAW and reset the oval record! But after 6 passes it was 165* and smokeing quite a bit.

I told Martin that we had to get 70 or it just wouldn't be right. So I moved the motor from the cat over into the mono because it was a 36.95x59.5. Couple of minutes later and we had 71 MPH. And for the claims about "Unobtainium" and "wallet racing" I gave $46.00 for that motor and then a bit of machine work and a lot of head scratching, figuring out how to wind it and make it work. It's nothing very fancy or exotic, just has more rotor displacement than the average LTD motor.

Martin made a couple of 74 mph downwind passes when we had a little ripple on the pond, but we couldn't get a good enough upwind pass to back it up, before the batteries started losing enough voltage that we could hear the rpm falling off. He asked me " So I have to get it right on the first pass, right?" I replied YES dammit. And that's what he did next time out.

But knowing 75 mph was so close he wanted more prop, me too but I was out of anything that was a little bit bigger. The 71 was done with an ABC 1916-17-45, and the kv on that motor is 2575, all I had up from that was a 2015-17-45. The motor was only 118* so we gave the big prop a try. When he rolled on the throttle I could see that 75 was going in the books because the boat took on a whole different attitude and was absolutely flying when it passed the first light. Then it shut down, then came back only to throttle down again. Martin yells "It's cutting off, that's not me". We were hitting the amp limit on the mamba xlx, and I had it set on 300 amps! When I downloaded the data, we were pulling 338 amps and flat lining, before it would cut back. The volts got down into the high 13s, watts hit a peak of 5200. I can't wait until I can go back with a more capable esc and a better motor. I have a couple that have maybe 15- 20% more displacement than this one.

Edit: 300 amps not 3000. That would have made a lot of smoke!

T.S.Davis
04-13-2021, 03:01 PM
Rewinding a motor cost nothing. The head scratching is where all the value is. You can't put a dollar figure on the noggin.

Turn the limit off Don. Keep an extinguisher close though. SAW and time trials aren't like racing oval. Can you imagine trying to pull 6 laps with those kind of numbers? Puddles of solder everywhere. For those worrying about "near P speeds".......well yeah at a SAW event. You can't oval race a limited mono at 70. You can barely go straight with it that fast. You could however oval race a P mono near 70 though. P Sport for sure.

Don, I gotta get down there to play with you guys. Would be fun to fiddle with one of these small sport hydros. I also have a number of props for you to throw at that mono.

jaike5
04-13-2021, 04:48 PM
Congratulation's Don on the team work to achieve those times and speeds. Great head scratching !! Hope to get down there in November for some roundy round racing , as long as the boarders are open , and covid has gone away.
Cheer's, Jay.

donhuff
04-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Terry. I thought about turning it off but I didn't think to take my laptop. And with the Atlanta race coming up, I didn't want to be down another esc. I got one wet at the February SOWEGA race and made copious amounts of smoke. So for the next race I'm having to use another one of my BLASTED MGM escs.

I think that "next time" for a record try, I'm not going to take more props, I think that rather than going bigger on the prop, I'll just add more kv, and go down on prop diameter, because Martin said that it was pulling to the right a lot. More diameter means more prop walk! You should have heard what he told me about how he was making the SAW passes. Half way through our talk, I raised my hand and said, you do what you do, and I'll be over there in the pits turning the wrenches. I know when to keep my mouth shut!!!

I would like to get the prop back down into the 1814-15 range and get to the speeds I am at now, and go up from there with pitch, until I run out of pitch, then go up to the 19 diameters. I have a 3050kv, 3180, and a 3300kv motors that are similar to the one I was running.............more head scratching ahead for sure.

donhuff
04-14-2021, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the congrat guys. I wish Martin was on here so you could give him some credit too. I would have been able to get a couple of the records by myself (I think), but with him doing the driving, that took a lot of pressure off of me and I could think more about rpm,props,amps, the mechanic side of things, that's where I'm at my best. All day long I was texting the family back home about the results. After getting the ltd cat records, I was ready to head home because that was all I really went after. I hadn't really planned to go to this event, but the day before the weather predictions were so good that I decided to go. My usual drivers Lamar and Brad couldn't be there, so I was reluctant to go. Boy was I relieved to see Martin was there, with him driving, it actually does become "easy" to do. No mater how good a driver you think you are, for oval records, I'll bet money he can better your times.

RaceMechaniX
04-14-2021, 02:33 PM
Hats off to Don for an awesome records haul including one or two records I had previously. As much as I dislike the limited class rules Don has put in the effort to tweak these motors to really output noteworthy power. 300A is about double what the best stock AQ motor I used for time trials could output before smoking.

The more offensive point is he had a hired gun drive the boat. C'mon Don, drive you own boats. :tape:

See you guys in Atlanta.

Peter A
04-14-2021, 03:46 PM
I know that this "limited" debate has gone on for years. What is being achieved is wow, and well done to those who put in the time and effort, with a fair bit of driving skill to set the records.

The only thing that can truly limit an electric class is the battery capacity, watt hours, or the size of the 'fuel tank'. With 10,000 mah max, the potential is always there to utilise all the power available. The only way to limit it is essentially a smaller fuel "tank", the battery. If you had a 5000 or 6000 mah limit would you see the same results? Perhaps if batteries can be obtained that will perform for speed and 2-lap. It does however bring an actual limit in oval racing.

For our club P-ltd offshore class, we limited the motor size to 36 x 75, the hull length to 36" max, and batt capacity to 6000 mah. The whole point was to make sure we had an entry level class that can capture any RTR boats available (the Sonicwake fits, hence the 36"). One of the boats in our club was build from a not so great random glass hull, no stinger or trim tabs, just a stuffing tube straight out the back, TP 3640 2150 kv motor, Raider 150 esc, and it runs on turnigy HD 5000 mah batt and an M445. It is surprisingly competitive, and to be fair all the boats are fairly evenly matched for speed, so the racing means that whoever gets the best start and can hold the lead will usually win. It has broken the monopoly on winning that I had for sure, but it is more fun.

Not trying to change what you guys are doing, just sharing what we are doing. It has to be about having fun doing this or it isn't worth doing is it?

donhuff
04-14-2021, 05:46 PM
"The more offensive point is he had a hired gun drive the boat. C'mon Don, drive you own boats."

Really Tyler??? To quote the famous Dirty Harry "A MAN, has got to know his limitations" I know MOST of mine now that I'm old enough to accept the facts. And I DO know that I am not the best driver out there. At 67 years old, my reactions, vision, and hearing are all failing me. And yes, hearing is very important to controlling a raging monster that's right on the limits.

Yes, I could have gotten a couple of those records on my own, but why? I'm not the type that thinks I'm the best at everything. What I am is a damn good mechanic. I can look at things and figure out how to make them faster, quicker, smoother, more reliable, etc,etc. I am not a "great" driver.....anymore. I like to watch top fuel drag racing, because it is about 90% the machine, yes the driver has a lot to do with it, but not as much as in other racing venues. I enjoy seeing what the crew chief can do with the machine, and I don't really care who the driver is, unless it's John Force---I hate that guy!

Had my son Lamar been there, he would have done the driving. Had Martin nor Lamar, not been there, and you were there, I would have asked you, if you would drive for me, to positively get two to seven records. Would you be whining then??????? I'm not afraid to share a record. I can recognize talent when I see it. And you are one of the few who has it.

And just so you know, a lot of this P-limited cheater motor hoopla bs is YOUR fault!!! Because you were the third person to tell me to my face that "there is only so much power that you can get out of a motor can that size" !!! Never ever tell a true hot rodder mechanic that, unless you want to get outrun.

Darin Jordan
04-14-2021, 07:21 PM
You guys are debating P-Ltd rules AGAIN? Good Grief, let it go!

The class is doing great. Clubs that run it are doing great. It's as simple as it gets, and nobody who is actually running the class is complaining.

And, some of the fastest racers in the country are still doing it with off-the-shelf motors, so this MYTH of a "motor of the month" club is just that...

Seriously, if you don't like it, don't run it, but stop crapping on everyone else who does.

HUFFRACING
04-14-2021, 08:34 PM
I've been a member of the club for several years now... In fact, I just renewed my subscription! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Usually you get a stock AQ or SSS, but every once in awhile you get one of dem super dooper motors!!! :olleyes::olleyes::olleyes:

Later,
Lamar

T.S.Davis
04-14-2021, 09:07 PM
Don, how do you think my brat keeps ending up with fast boats? Know yer limits.

fweasel
04-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Don, how do you think my brat keeps ending up with fast boats? Know yer limits.
His mom?

Darin Jordan
04-15-2021, 11:37 AM
Because you were the third person to tell me to my face that "there is only so much power that you can get out of a motor can that size" !!! Never ever tell a true hot rodder mechanic that, unless you want to get outrun.

Ummm... Don... there IS only so much power you're going to get out of a motor of that size. You're finding that limit, but that doesn't make the statement any less true.

admin
04-15-2021, 01:14 PM
his mom?

haha, that was good.

Steven Vaccaro

RaceMechaniX
04-15-2021, 01:33 PM
"The more offensive point is he had a hired gun drive the boat. C'mon Don, drive you own boats."

Really Tyler??? To quote the famous Dirty Harry "A MAN, has got to know his limitations" I know MOST of mine now that I'm old enough to accept the facts. And I DO know that I am not the best driver out there. At 67 years old, my reactions, vision, and hearing are all failing me. And yes, hearing is very important to controlling a raging monster that's right on the limits.

All in good nature fun Don. I have to admit as well I will likely never drive a TT course as fast as Martin, Brian Buaas or Chris Grim, but do enjoy trying.

And just so you know, a lot of this P-limited cheater motor hoopla bs is YOUR fault!!! Because you were the third person to tell me to my face that "there is only so much power that you can get out of a motor can that size" !!! Never ever tell a true hot rodder mechanic that, unless you want to get outrun.

Guilty as charged! Ready for you next challenge?

Doug Smock
04-15-2021, 03:50 PM
:laugh::zip-up:

photohoward1
04-15-2021, 03:57 PM
I kinda just want to be able to race oval again. I miss you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Smock
04-15-2021, 04:25 PM
Seriously, if you don't like it, don't run it, but stop crapping on everyone else who does.

If this was directed at me you can save it. I haven't crapped on anyone! Don't like my opinions, like the dimension rule sucks, "Limited is gone"?( At least until the limit is found) The ignore feature works pretty good, put me on it.:thumbup1:
As far as the classes go, It was fun while it lasted. We had a good run. 4 down, moving on to bigger, better things.:speedboat2

Later fellas!

PS Don I've watched your progress the last few years. It's pretty incredible what you have accomplished and still haven't seen whatever "so much" is.
I see a 100mph "P-Limited" Hydro in Huff Racing's future. Hope I'm there to see it!

Darin Jordan
04-15-2021, 04:34 PM
If this was directed at me you can save it. I haven't crapped on anyone! Don't like my opinions, like the dimension rule sucks, "Limited is gone"?( At least until the limit is found) The ignore feature works pretty good, put me on it.

Only Wilmer puts people on the blocked list. I'm more game to tell you what I think directly. :tongue:

And, it wasn't directed at you, specifically... So...

This bitching, by the way, is coming from people who run huge P and Q-Monos and such running $500+ ESC and $300.00 motors... So in relation to that, P-LTD is definitely "limited"...

Doug Smock
04-15-2021, 05:23 PM
Only Wilmer puts people on the blocked list. I'm more game to tell you what I think directly. :tongue:

And, it wasn't directed at you, specifically... So...

This bitching, by the way, is coming from people who run huge P and Q-Monos and such running $500+ ESC and $300.00 motors... So in relation to that, P-LTD is definitely "limited"...

LOL and I know that about you Darin.:thumbup1: It wasn't directed at me specifically so ok, my sincere apologies if owed.:hug1: I can't argue your last point at all... Damn it!:bounce:

RaceMechaniX
04-16-2021, 08:33 AM
I see a 100mph "P-Limited" Hydro in Huff Racing's future. Hope I'm there to see it!

I would like to see that too!

Darin Jordan
04-16-2021, 08:39 AM

Should be doable. Brian was pushing a 1/10th scale well into the 70s with a 1500KV Dynamite motor.

Pushing a purpose built Hydro shouldn't be an issue.

donhuff
04-16-2021, 10:23 AM
"Ummm... Don... there IS only so much power you're going to get out of a motor of that size. You're finding that limit, but that doesn't make the statement any less true."

Darin, I find it hard to believe that you said that. I know that I shouldn't be surprised, because this is the way that the majority of people tend to think. Even a lot of good hot rodders who are accomplished at other aspects of modifying things, to go fast. When it comes to the motor/engine, it's like they are wearing blinders and can only see one way.

That last word in the quote above is so misleading. Truth is so relative and easily manipulated , based mostly upon your current knowledge of the particular subject. I would rather have wisdom of the subject before I set limits and say never,can't, won't, impossible.

I'm doing so well with these motors mostly because I have no formal education or background dealing with them. I just tore open a couple hundred of them and learned on my on. So I have no preconceived ideas about how much power I CAN get out of a can that size. And lucky for me, I almost never really ever listen much to the nay sayers nor the experts, that way I'm not hindered buy the limits that they think exist.

So Darin, how many Watts DO you think a 37x60 motor, can deliver? What "IS" that limit? Give me a target.

If I had the means to accomplish some of my ideas, I'm pretty sure that I could get the USS Missouri up to 40 knots.........with a 37x60 !

donhuff
04-16-2021, 10:28 AM

Tyler, we need to talk. Not so much about a SAW attempt, I'm working on that already. But more about a Raptor and a 2lap. I hear you have the boat, and I gots the UNOBTANIUM, so we need to get together.

Darin Jordan
04-16-2021, 10:52 AM
So Darin, how many Watts DO you think a 37x60 motor, can deliver? What "IS" that limit? Give me a target.

Not going to get into a back and forth with you, Don. I need to keep you on my good side in case I decide to get back into racing and want the "motor of the month"... :tongue:

That said, there is a limit. It's just a fact. You keep working at it and YOU tell US what it is.

I'd do it myself, but honestly, I've gotten burned out on a lot of this, and don't really have anything I feel I need to prove at this point. There is ALWAYS someone who will go faster. Maybe that's you?

There is absolutely a finite limit to how many watts a physical size will be able to produce. That's why, when it's reached, people go to 40mm cans...

RaceMechaniX
04-16-2021, 01:58 PM
Tyler, we need to talk. Not so much about a SAW attempt, I'm working on that already. But more about a Raptor and a 2lap. I hear you have the boat, and I gots the UNOBTANIUM, so we need to get together.

Yes, I have that boat from Brian which ran 139mph and holds both the IMPBA and NAMBA 1/3 mile 2-lap records. It's the same boat which is almost more impressive.

If you want a stretch target, I calculated a 36x60 motor could produce 5400W for about 20 seconds on 4S.

donhuff
04-16-2021, 03:45 PM
20 seconds? I think that would be very hard to do!

Doug Smock
04-16-2021, 04:47 PM
20 seconds? I think that would be very hard to do! Sounds like a nay sayer to me...:tt2::biggrin:

RaceMechaniX
04-16-2021, 05:50 PM
20 seconds? I think that would be very hard to do!

Well if you have Martin drive maybe it's only 16-17 seconds.

donhuff
04-17-2021, 07:56 AM
I didn't word my response correctly.

Is 20 seconds doable, yes I think so.

Getting a 37x60 to put out 5400 watts for 20 seconds......... That's what will be hard to do!

But it won't take anywhere near that much power. Presently a stock AQ has it at 22.5 seconds. The AQ is rated at like 720 watts, so I think that 3000 watts "should" be able to reach sub 20 seconds, and that IS doable for a 20 second duration....I think.

donhuff
04-17-2021, 07:58 AM
Well if you have Martin drive maybe it's only 16-17 seconds.

He does tend to take the shortest path around the course!

T.S.Davis
04-19-2021, 09:33 AM
I kinda just want to be able to race oval again. I miss you guys.

We're racing Sunday Howard. You're more than welcome to come play with us.

RaceMechaniX
04-20-2021, 02:51 PM
I didn't word my response correctly.

Is 20 seconds doable, yes I think so.

Getting a 37x60 to put out 5400 watts for 20 seconds......... That's what will be hard to do!

But it won't take anywhere near that much power. Presently a stock AQ has it at 22.5 seconds. The AQ is rated at like 720 watts, so I think that 3000 watts "should" be able to reach sub 20 seconds, and that IS doable for a 20 second duration....I think.

I went and looked up the data from the IMPBA and NAMBA 2-lap record runs in P-hydro. With a TP3650 motor the average current over a competitive 17 second run is 283A. That's a little over 3.3kW. Data from the old P-ltd AQ motor showed an average around 112A, so 1300W.