PDA

View Full Version : trimming lexan bodies?

Rex R
01-23-2009, 09:33 PM
so I'm busy resurecting a 30+ year old 1/12 scale car...had to get a new body for it. the original styrene body looks like a hard boiled egg dropped from 50' (note don't try running an r/c car within 3 miles of a mil radar system thats running). any tips on trimming a lexan body? kinda slow going using a hobby knife. thanks
rex

Scott T
01-24-2009, 01:48 AM
I've probably cut out over 50 lexan bodies in my time, and I find a good pair of scissors works well. If you're really keen, get a pair of Tamiya curved scissors for the wheel arches, but they not really needed.

I normally cut the body out a bit oversize, and mount it on the car, with the wheel arches still intact. Then trim the lower edges to suit the graound clearance needed. For the wheel arches, I used to use a pair of dividers. Find the centre of the wheel and punch a small hole there with the dividers. Then scribe the wheel arch with the other end of the dividers. Finally, cut out with scissors - the scissors will follow the scribe line and make a neat, round cut.

Rex R
01-24-2009, 02:50 AM
some good info, thanks. methinks that the car should be interesting to drive...the msc had a whopping 3 amp fuse. powered up the car*(no steering yet), put my foot in front to keep it from moving, and goosed the throttle, both rear tyres lit up(never did that before) now I have 2 traction marks on the floor :).
*car now has an 05 27t motor w/ esc, not quite sure what the gear ratio is...1st guess 2.91

studioRS
01-24-2009, 08:14 AM
The hands down easiest and best way I've found is to use a #11 xacto and scribe the cut line you want into the outside (hint, hold your breath when you scribe). Not necessary to go deep. Flex the excess lexan back and forth and it pops right off. Done.

Here's a 1/10 scale custom paint and decal lexan Porsche 911 GT2 that I designed. Made the Tamiya builders showcase, December 2005.
http://gallery.mac.com/studiors/100032/Tamiya-builders-showcase-dec-2005/web.jpg

more photos http://gallery.mac.com/studiors#100032

Eyekandyboats
01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
i take a soldering iron and get a old tip. take the tip to a sander and make it skinny and thin.
then i take it and outline the body about 1/4 away from the cut line.
then i cut it with some skinny scissors
the iron removes alot of the stuff that doesn't flex and get in your way.

J Solinger
01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
I rough cut every thing with scissors and an exacto knife the finish it with a small drum sander in the drill press or dremel.

Rex R
01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
well w/ some sissors, a sharp blade, and a dremel I have gotten the body trimmed. and I am almost ready to start masking (yay!). I think about all I have left to do with chasis is to do the forward body mounts... was running the numbers, it looks like the car will be approx 6 oz.s lighter than it was(ditching the rx pack dropped 4 oz.)

hkusp45
01-29-2009, 01:56 AM
X-acto #11 and steady hand has worked the best for me. Scribe and flex....

Rex R
01-31-2009, 02:54 AM
got it painted, an after and before pic.