PDA

View Full Version : Rip rcbm

ron Olson
01-16-2009, 10:14 AM
It looks like you've seen your last issue of R/C Boat Modeler as the magazine is going under. My favorite reading material for when I'm in my "Library" will be no more.
What they're going to do if anything for the boaters I don't know. Questions on their website have gotten no replies and all references to RCBM are missing on the Air Age site.
If you're a subscriber I'd be bugging them to see what's going to happen with your issues that are due to you and for the truth.

Steven Vaccaro
01-16-2009, 10:34 AM
That totally stinks!!!

I would have loved to see the mag combined with another one of their offerings.

Darin Jordan
01-16-2009, 10:38 AM
It looks like you've seen your last issue of R/C Boat Modeler as the magazine is going under. My favorite reading material for when I'm in my "Library" will be no more.
What they're going to do if anything for the boaters I don't know. Questions on their website have gotten no replies and all references to RCBM are missing on the Air Age site.
If you're a subscriber I'd be bugging them to see what's going to happen with your issues that are due to you and for the truth.

Before everyone gets up in arms and concerned about this... WHERE are you getting your information?? I've heard an alternate story from one of their regular columnists that would suggest otherwise...

ron Olson
01-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Darin, there is nothing to the contrary on their site. Go to www.airage.com and check the drop-downs and you won't see RCBM in them but their other magazines are.
The word is out from one of their major advertisers also, Warehouse Hobbies.
When one of their big contributors to the magazine, Jerry Dunlap can't get an e-mail reply that tells you things aren't good either.
It comes at a bad time as usually their next issue is the biggest seller of the year, the annual Buyer's Guide comes out.

Meniscus
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Hmmmm...and I was just getting ready to subscribe, LOL!

Before we start pulling the plugs and abandoning ship, I would recommend considering that there may be an IT guy at fault. This could potentially explain the missing link on the Airage site as well as the email issue.

I'm not saying that this is the case, but I'd take it under consideration before jumping off the boat.

LOL, enough puns for one post? Or maybe just metaphors...

AndyKunz
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Darin, there is nothing to the contrary on their site.

There's nothing on Obama's website that says he isn't a closet satanist. What does that mean?

I just went to airage.com and this is the page I got. What magazine is that just right of center? Guess what happens when you click there - it takes you to rcboatmodeler.com

Andy

Flying Scotsman
01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Jay Turner, what are you hearing?
This is a bummer, if true

Douggie

ron Olson
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Andy, go over the Advertising or Subscriptions drop-downs and you won't see RCBM listed.

tth
01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I spoke to a salesperson in the publication dept and she said there is a cease of publication notice. They will refund the subscription money with the cancellation notice. Sorry to see this magazine fade away it was my best reading material:cursing::cursing:

Flying Scotsman
01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Again, if true this is really sad. I have subsrcibed to this mag for many years. Is the internet the cause of this mag's demise? Free information...some good...some bad. I still love reading a magazine as the ads and knowleagable authors keep me informed. The internet has a lot of bogus information.
What are your thoughts?

Douggie

ron Olson
01-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Doug, magazines like RCBM do two things basically, sell products and advertising space. There is a point when ethics has to come into the mix. They have had problems writing about a product when it's garbagr but they want to seel that outfit pages of advertising space. When I first got that magazine or any others like hot-rodding rags, you'd think that whatever they said was Gospel. Seeing articles that were obvious lift-offs from their sister publications didn't help Things that we share like batteries, chargers and fuel articles could have at least had pictures changed to reflect boaters, not the car and truck crowd.
People want instant everything nowadays which is where the Internet comes in, not waiting months for a reply to a question. If we want opinions on whatever we want to buy soon, we ask on the 'net in forums such as this one.
Magazines still have their place but we should have seen it coming when RCBM went from 6 to 4 issues per year that its death was coming.

Flying Scotsman
01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Ron, all very true but I still love picking up a mag and find an article by Jay Turner that was written a few years ago but still valid today. I just like the prose and information from valued authors and contributors

Douggie

Darin Jordan
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Well... if this is really true... it SUCKS! AND, it really set's back the advancement of RC Boating, and especially FE RC boating...

ChaKane
01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
A friend just tried to check what was happening with their subscription and this is the reply the got back:

Just checked what has (or has NOT) happened to my renewal (next issue) and the CS page says:

Sorry, the following error has occurred:
We are no longer accepting subscriptions for this publication.
At this time we do not know when or if they will be restarted.
Please check with the operators of the site you came from. They may know.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
We are unable to continue processing your request at this time.
The site Webmaster has been notified.
Please try again later.

ozzie-crawl
01-16-2009, 04:49 PM
when i first got in to boats a few years ago i lived in the middle of no were, had no internet not even tv. all i had was 2 rcb magazines and i read them till they fell a part,
will be a sad day
scott

ozboater
01-16-2009, 05:29 PM
CRAP... i ll miss getting it in the mail....

:ThumbsDown01:

Flying Scotsman
01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Sorry to be a hog. But this worries me...newspapers, magazines, etc. are all dying on the vine. All we will have left is the internet with its at times, very dubious information. No serious discourse on subjects...just instant TV and internet reporting that in many cases is false.

Douggie

egneg
01-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Sorry to be a hog. But this worries me...newspapers, magazines, etc. are all dying on the vine. All we will have left is the internet with its at times, very dubious information. No serious discourse on subjects...just instant TV and internet reporting that in many cases is false.

Douggie

I agree Douggie, instead of having a book, magazine, or newspaper to pass the time in a waiting room the walls will be lined with PC's. I enjoy reading the daily newspaper at my leisure without having to be tied to some electronic device all the time.

Joe Friars
01-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Douggie

May sound wierd but one of the greatest smells on Earth is the inside of a bookstore.
I am a relitive newbie and will miss this magazine if it indeed dissapears.
I have aquired quite a bit of great information from sites like this one on the net, but my laptop smells funny. :unsure:
Joe

sjslhill
01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Killed by the Internet and companies like Hobby City. Should be an interesting future. Newspapers are going belly up all over the nation as well. RCBM is now a thing of the past. I posted a thread on the past here recently and got blasted by several who stated the future was great for F/E. So, there ya have it.

ReddyWatts
01-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree that FE internet forums have hurt this magazine. Why pay for info when you can get it free with feedback? It is comparable to the USPS, who pays to mail letters anymore?

AndyKunz
01-17-2009, 08:30 PM
The future of FE IS great, Steve. It is totally independent of RCBM.

The best thing AirAge does is Flight Journal. And there, it's the history. It would be neat if they could do an online version with videos and skip the print edition, though.

Andy

Jeff
01-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Well there is allways the government bailout. I mean they are considering bailling out hustler magazine arn't they.

Blue text is sarcasm

properchopper
01-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I just received the Winter '09 edition in today's mail.:confused2:

Doug Smock
01-17-2009, 09:13 PM
The future of FE IS great, Steve. It is totally independent of RCBM.

Andy

:iagree::banana:

Doug :popcorn2: