PDA

View Full Version : BBY OM29 (First Build)

LJH
06-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Hello All,
I have been looking for a new hull to replace my old Cesa that I got running again after 18 years of sitting in a closet. Because of all you guys here I finally got a good reliable boat that is fun but I think I am pushing the Cesa a little further then it was ever intended and while it is fun it is totally out of control. I have been looking for a hull for a long time and being a frugal Kraut I was having a hard time forking over $150.00 for a glass hull so I hade been looking at the BBY boats for some time and then Randy offered us 25% off on his hulls so I pulled the plug. All of the gear is coming out of the Cesa and going into the OM29. Here is a list of what I have.

-SC700 (will soon be replaced with a Feigao 11XL)
-Novak 828-HV ESC (Again will be replaced when I put the 11XL in)
-Mach 5 in-line hardware (.150 shaft)
-Futaba 3003 Steering servo
-Cen Motor mount
-2-4S 4000Mah Maxamps 20C Packs
-4-3S TP PL 2100 3S Packs
-Dozens of old CP2400 round cells

I have built dozens and dozens of planes out of every material imaginable but this will be my first true build of a boat so keep an eye on me too make sure I am not screwing anything up . I am going to start with reinforcing the hull to make it a bit stiffer and stronger, I usually run my boat when it is blowing too hard to fly so more often then not there is chop and waves, I also run my boat on Long Island sound so it is a open body of water and rarely totally flat water. My thought of reinforcing the full it to run a couple carbon tubes fore and aft down the hull and then cover it with fiberglass (all on the inside of course) I am wondering what weight FG I should look at using? I personally would think something around 2oz glass is what I am looking for but as you can tell I could be very wrong here. Once the carbon tubes are in place I plan on spraying 3M 77 in the hull and then lay the glass inside.....does this sound like a good way to go? Should I use epoxy (west systems) or CA. Being that I am away for the next 4 weekends racing sailboats with a week long regatta inbetween this is not going to be a super quick build but I am hoping that some of you other guys who bought a OM29 (or any other BBY Mono) will use this thread as well to show how you built your boats.

Cheers,
Jim