PDA

View Full Version : Whiplash 40 Hydro,,,,,

txboatpilot
01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Just thought I would start a build thread on my new Whiplash 40 Hydro... It will be running a Neu 1527/1Y (1250KV), MGM 16024-3 esc, 2x 6S 5000mah 25C lipos, all Speedmaster hardware and some TLC...:cool2:

Just getting it ready for paint.. I installed the motor mount, stuffing tube, hardware... :popcorn2:

Now on to some cutting of the front bulkhead, to fit the lipos...

I will post pictures as I get it finished, followed by some video when it is ready to RUN!!:thumbup1:

tth
01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Very nice indeed. Clean lines. It should haul on that 1527.

mobychev
01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi txboatpilot
I am at the same build stage as you:thumbup1:
but cant decide on how to get the 6S lipos in the hull they are like bricks :help:Where are you putting yours?
I have a 1527/1.5d, if I cant run it on 6s I might have to look at 8s 1p,they fit in nicely:confused2:
Graham

10gauge
01-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Tx, hydro looks great! It should be an excellent build and a great performer. I just ordered a similar hydro, the Phil Thomas SS45. After much thought, between the 1527/1Y and the 1527/1.5D, I finally decided get the 1527/1.5D (1500kv) for 6S2P. Good Luck with the build.

txboatpilot
01-14-2009, 08:53 PM
mobychev::: I am cutting out the front bulkhead, and putting the 2 packs in front of the motor..

10gauge::: I also looked at the SS45, very nice indeed.. I just wanted to try my hand at building for once.. I acually have enjoyed the process, now just cant wait to finish and run it..

I see both of you went with the 1.5D, why? I am curious to see what props you both end up running with the 1.5D winds..

calcagno45
01-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Tx- I love that boat! She's a beauty!!

A guy in my town runs the Whip40 with a mildly modded Zenoah on Coleman fuel(80ish octane) and she purs at 64mph all day, in the straights and the turns! It is a real beauty up close and on the water. But doesnt like to turn the other way... lol

Here is a recent video: about 60mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZAxYe1uZT4&feature=channel_page

Since, the motor has been modded a little more.

I want to do this same build but I think I'll end up with the Whip20.

10gauge
01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Tx, I wish I had the time to construct a wooden boat like yours... Perhaps someday.

The SS45 will be the largest hull that I will have setup. With the larger hull size, I reason that I'll have more stability at higher speeds. Apart from my other sport builds, I want to go a little crazy on this one and build a borderline SAW/fast oval racer.

Since both motors are large and powerful, the motor choice was simply based on rpm. Running the 1Y on 6S @ 27750rpm seemed a little too low, vs 33,300rpm with the 1.5D. If it were a mono or cat, I wouldn't mind. I suspect that with a hydro design, there wouldn't be much hull slip to factor in like a mono or a cat, so having all that torque on the 1Y might not be necessary. I figure that having slightly less torque and higher rpm would be more versatile for my goal. Furthermore, I don't want to rely on too large a prop on a lower rpm setup to obtain high speed. For a hydro, I think that it could lead to undesirable effects at very high speeds, like propwalk, sponson lift, etc. That's why I went with the 1.5D over the 1Y.

mobychev
01-14-2009, 10:24 PM
that was pretty well my reasoning as well.
also theCastle controller application chart recomends that motor for sport hydro '34-40inch'
What do you think of 8s in this setup?? thats 44,400 rpm ihave hydra 240HV.
Mraham

10gauge
01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Graham: Personally, 8S on the 1.5D is too much. Your current load will be very high and @ 44,400rpm you'll be limited to running small props on a large hull. Then you won't have enough prop surface to run efficiently. If you're intent on running 8S, use the 1Y, even @ 37,000rpm it's a little high. But for the 1.5D, I'd run 6S.

My setup: 1527/1.5D, 6S2P/10000/25C, HV-240, Speedmaster HW, 0.187 Flex (no liner). Start with x445. Ultimately, an m645 to 452/3 prop might yield my 65mph+ goal.

Tx, keep us posted on the development of the hydro... You always seem to have great results with your builds!

txboatpilot
01-15-2009, 09:28 AM
A guy in my town runs the Whip40 with a mildly modded Zenoah on Coleman fuel(80ish octane) and she purs at 64mph all day, in the straights and the turns! It is a real beauty up close and on the water. But doesnt like to turn the other way... lol

That Whip in the video looks way to large to be a Whip 40?? It is most likely the GAS version..

I want to do this same build but I think I'll end up with the Whip20.

I am going to build a Whip 20 for P-Sport Hydro or 4S2P...

txboatpilot
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Tx, I wish I had the time to construct a wooden boat like yours... Perhaps someday.

The SS45 will be the largest hull that I will have setup. With the larger hull size, I reason that I'll have more stability at higher speeds. Apart from my other sport builds, I want to go a little crazy on this one and build a borderline SAW/fast oval racer.

Since both motors are large and powerful, the motor choice was simply based on rpm. Running the 1Y on 6S @ 27750rpm seemed a little too low, vs 33,300rpm with the 1.5D. If it were a mono or cat, I wouldn't mind. I suspect that with a hydro design, there wouldn't be much hull slip to factor in like a mono or a cat, so having all that torque on the 1Y might not be necessary. I figure that having slightly less torque and higher rpm would be more versatile for my goal. Furthermore, I don't want to rely on too large a prop on a lower rpm setup to obtain high speed. For a hydro, I think that it could lead to undesirable effects at very high speeds, like propwalk, sponson lift, etc. That's why I went with the 1.5D over the 1Y.

That makes alot of sense,, I went with the 1Y because it seemed more versitile, Mono, Cat, or Hydro no problem... If I were doing a rigger, I would try the 1.5D..

Also I looked at Raydee's SS45 with 6S2P and 1Y, going over 60+ very easy with no prop walk or sponsoon lift... Looked to be running very nice, temps are great with his set-up as well... Dont know which prop he is useing? here is the video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FROI2ttRQis&feature=channel_page

Fluid
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
What do you think of 8s in this setup?? thats 44,400 rpm ihave hydra 240HV.

Like stated above, that is too hot for 8S1P - it is a SAW setup. You will burn up your 240HV guaranteed.

For that hull I'd not plan on using 8S for any power increase over 6S. The advantage of 8S for that hull would be the ability to have the same amount of power as a 6S setup without having to pull as many amps, thus it is easier on all your equipment.

Bottom line - you will either have to make the 6S packs fit or get a different motor with a lower Kv if you want to run 8S1P.

calcagno45
01-15-2009, 07:52 PM
That Whip in the video looks way to large to be a Whip 40?? It is most likely the GAS version..

Ahh, yep. I asked him and measured it to make sure. It sure it the gas version. She sure is nice and runs great.

txboatpilot
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Ahh, yep. I asked him and measured it to make sure. It sure it the gas version. She sure is nice and runs great.

I have not seen a Whiplash I did'nt like.. I am thinking hard about adding a Gas Whip kit to the order when I get my Whip 20.. Should be a nice little FE Hydro fleet.. Nitro and Gas KILLERS!!! LOL

10gauge
01-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Tx, I posed the 1.5D/1Y question on RRR. It was 50/50 in either favor. Actually, I've contacted Ray on his SS45 setup. He's running a 1527/1.5D, 6S2P, x447 with speeds of 62mph+. It's an exquisite build - the mount alone looks like DaVinci designed it himself.

All I can say is that these 36" cats and hydros are fantastic to work on! By the way, what's your HW setup? I am planning to use Speedmaster. I am debating whether to use 0.187 Flex cable with NO liner -OR- a 0.078in wire drive. I just had Ned make me two beautiful 8mm to 0.078in couplers. I'll decide once the hull is completed...

txboatpilot
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Here are a couple more pict's.... Getting it ready for paint,, I cut out the bulkhead and made room for the lipo packs.. Everything is moving right along..

All Speedmaster hardware from B. Blazer with the kit, as well as the turn fin.. I might try and find some different turn fins to try out later on...

calcagno45
01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
You think I could run the 1527/1.5D(1500kv) on 5s successfully on a Hydra240 in the whip40?

txboatpilot
02-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Here are a couple updated pict's... She is ready for clear coat now!!:buttrock: Hope to have it all finished by next weekend.. I have also started a Whip 20,, just to have a 4S P-Hydro for a little brother...:w00t:

j.m.
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
:bowdown:

calcagno45
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Sick!! I decided on the Whip20 too. I'm trying to get a kit from Brian now. Hopefully mine turn out half as nice!

txboatpilot
02-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Sick!! I decided on the Whip20 too. I'm trying to get a kit from Brian now. Hopefully mine turn out half as nice!

Yea, I just could not resist the Whip 20.. These go together so easy and the fit and finish is also great.. I will start a Build thread on the Whip 20 tomarrow...

calcagno45
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Did you get it from Brian or someone else?

txboatpilot
02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Got it from Brian.. I contacted him on RRR forums and just had him send me a request for payment through paypal.. He is a super nice guy..

tth
02-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Very nice indeed Rich. Great job!!! Did you do the paint yourself?

txboatpilot
02-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Very nice indeed Rich. Great job!!! Did you do the paint yourself?

Yes Sir! I do all my own custom painting in my shop... I use all House of Kolors automotive paints, they seem to turn out the color!

I am getting ready to lay down some clear on it today!!!

Skunk Works
02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Hello Rich!

How things been? Just wicked on the paint! Got to see this with some clear on it.

Is that a pinstriping touch past the flames? If so, very good and you have a steady hand. I tried old school striping and it looked like my 3 year old did the paint.

Talk to you later,

Scotty

txboatpilot
02-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello Rich!

How things been? Just wicked on the paint! Got to see this with some clear on it.

Is that a pinstriping touch past the flames? If so, very good and you have a steady hand. I tried old school striping and it looked like my 3 year old did the paint.

Talk to you later,

Scotty

Hey Scotty,

Good to hear from you.. Yes that is pinstiping paint... I wanted it to look like it had been "Whiped" with a "Lash".... LOL It came out well, I need to practice some more, so I can start doing lettering with it...:biggrin:

txboatpilot
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Well I went to put on some clear and,,:confused2:,,, I thought that the bottom looked like a good drawing board!! :banana: So here is what I ended up with.. I will clear it all and be done..:wink:

Skunk Works
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Oh boy that is schweet Rich! You are getting real good with that pinstripe brush.
I need to retool for painting, will send you a mail about the HOK paint.

Just a super job.

Scotty

tth
02-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree!!! That is one fantastic paint job. Sweet blue.:bowdown:

txboatpilot
02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I agree!!! That is one fantastic paint job. Sweet blue.:bowdown:

Thanks,

That is HOK "true blue pearl"... It is one of my fav's!!!:thumbup1:

10gauge
02-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Exquisite detailing, Rich! Fantastic progress!
Did you end up mounting the strut in the centerline and on the back transom? Are you making your own turn fin?

I received my SS45 hull, and I'll start building it this Spring. If I can't find a turn fin, I'll have to make my own.

txboatpilot
02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Exquisite detailing, Rich! Fantastic progress!
Did you end up mounting the strut in the centerline and on the back transom? Are you making your own turn fin?

I received my SS45 hull, and I'll start building it this Spring. If I can't find a turn fin, I'll have to make my own.

I mounted the strut on the outside. There is no performance gain by moving it inside.. I offset the strut by 3/16" to the right... Turn fin came with the kit from Brian Blazer.. I just have to sharpen and polish it up..

I really like the SS21/45 hulls, I just thought I would try building with wood this winter.. It has been a fun process indeed!

mobychev
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Your whip looks a million dollars,love that blue :rockon2:
Have you had it in the water yet, would like to know how it went
Graham

calcagno45
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Turn fin came with the kit from Brian Blazer.. I just have to sharpen and polish it up..!

I wish the Whiplash20 kit came with a turnfin....

txboatpilot
02-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I wish the Whiplash20 kit came with a turnfin....

I ordered the kit with hardware.. Did you order HDWR as well?

calcagno45
02-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I ordered the kit with hardware.. Did you order HDWR as well?

Nah, I got the speedmaster hardware through Steven! I'm going to end up making a turn fin since I can't find any good ones.

txboatpilot
02-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Update,,,,

FINALLY!! I have everything done, just waiting on the motor from OSE! :thumbup: Also waiting on a receiver and on/off switch mount..:popcorn2: Should have everything in by Monday or Tuesday.. I will be sure to get some video!

I went on ahead and installed some silver carbon fiber on the center section. Still need to mount the esc and cooling lines. Also need to shorten the rudder a little and make a few tweeks.

I cant wait to run this sucker!

tth
02-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Nice job Rich I think the silver carbon fiber gives it a little more "spark".

calcagno45
02-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Awesome job Rich! I wish I could see this one up close tho... Can't wait for the video.

Still running the 1527/1Y on 6s2p?

txboatpilot
02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Awesome job Rich! I wish I could see this one up close tho... Can't wait for the video.

Still running the 1527/1Y on 6s2p?

Thanks Bro! Where are you in LA?? Mabey we can get together and run the Whip 20's!!:beerchug:

Yes, I am still going to run 6s2p, but am going with the 1527/1.5D for the Whip40.. I am going to use the 1527/1Y for a 6s2p mono/cat..

I just love the lines on the Whiplash hulls! Hope it runs as good as it looks!:tongue_smilie:

calcagno45
02-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks Bro! Where are you in LA?? Mabey we can get together and run the Whip 20's!!:beerchug:

Yes, I am still going to run 6s2p, but am going with the 1527/1.5D for the Whip40.. I am going to use the 1527/1Y for a 6s2p mono/cat..

I just love the lines on the Whiplash hulls! Hope it runs as good as it looks!:tongue_smilie:

I'm inbetween New Orleans and Baton Rouge. You should come to New Orleans this weekend and experience some Mardi Gras!! :bowdown::thumbup: But I'm up for meeting up with you and running!!!

The 40 should haul butt with the 1.5D!! I can't wait to see it!!

I know the Gas Sport Hydro runs like a scalded dog in a slot car!! They go and turn and beg to go faster!! Hopefully these act the same!!

tth
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Man I am getting jealous. I have been wanting to try my hands at building a wood hull. The Whip seems like it may be a contender in my near future. Calcagno I would like to see your build as well. Again great job Rich.

T. Hatch

txboatpilot
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM
THANKS TO STEVEN V. here at OSE!!!

Just received the 1527 and parts needed to complete the Whip! Should have it in the water tomarrow.. Cant wait to get some laps on this baby!

RTR weight is 11lbs 2.1oz...... That is with 6s2p (4x 3s 5000mAh 25C lipos), Neu 1527/1.5D and MGM 16024-3 ESC..

My first test run will be propped with X445! First runs will be with-out water cooling on the motor,,, if it needs it I have the OSE jacket for it sitting here...

Hopefully I can get 60mph out of this setup in heat race trim...

Here are a few pictures of the Whip RTR....

rcboatfan
02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
nice paint job:thumbup:cant wait to see a vid:popcorn2:

txboatpilot
02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
nice paint job:thumbup:cant wait to see a vid:popcorn2:

Thanks,, no video yet... Here is a picture from today, did not have anyone to take video.. Boat is running nice, I made some strut adjustments that seemed to free it up.. I need more time for testing to get it just right!

Raydee
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Almost to nice to be in the water ;)
I like how you made the hatch, I bet it works a lot better than the one on my Sport 20.

calcagno45
02-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Sick! How did she run? around 60 for the roundy rounds?

Need video!!

txboatpilot
02-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Sick! How did she run? around 60 for the roundy rounds?

Need video!!

I will get some video as soon as I can..:beerchug:

Yesterdays test were showing speeds of 55mph.. I was not happy with the turn fin, seemed to have alot of drag.. I am going to make my own today out of Alum... Hopefully I can test a new t-fin this afternoon..

calcagno45
02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
You are using the turn fin from Brian's kit right? Why the suspicion? Throwing too much water up all the time? or when it turns?

Make a template of the new one if it works like you want it and load it on here. And get some video!! :beerchug:

txboatpilot
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
You are using the turn fin from Brian's kit right? Why the suspicion? Throwing too much water up all the time? or when it turns?

Make a template of the new one if it works like you want it and load it on here. And get some video!! :beerchug:

I was using the TF from Brian.. But found out that it is really only meant for his Gas Whip.. To large and heavy for the Whip 40.. I made my own test model yesterday and tested it late in the day.. It made a big improvment, gained 4-6mph down the straights and turns at FULL THROTTLE with no issues or bad habbits.. I am starting to like this Whip more and more every time i run it..

I will posted a picture of the template I used..

Oh, i think they just outlawed video taping rc boating in TX.. LOL:beerchug:

calcagno45
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear things got better!

Oh, i think they just outlawed video taping rc boating in TX.. LOL

I think I'll be contacting your Congressman as soon as I get a break today!!

RandyatBBY
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Sweet looking paint, looks like you have the same afliction I have :bounce:

txboatpilot
03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I got a new turn fin to test out.. Going to the pond this morning to dial it in.. I will try and get some video..

Thought you all might enjoy this video from last weekend.
It is a video of a club memebers Gas F/G Whiplash.. Needless to say,, it is SMOKIN'.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUESQoHKugQ