PDA

View Full Version : Running the bj with 5s lipo's?

bitton79
01-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Hi,
I wanted to ask if anyone has tried to run the bj26 with 5s lipo. is it possible?
I have lipo's and i was wondering if i can use one pack of 2s and 3s pack on the second pack so i will get a higher voltage, but without using 6s lipo's which is more than the stock motor and esc can handle. Has anyone tried to connect the two deans that comes out of the esc with y harness and than use one pack of 5s or 6s to run the boat?
I appreciate assistence
Thanks' guys.
:help:

calcagno45
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
The controller is rated up to 21v so 5s should be in the safe range and possible. I would prop down a little to start off. You'll pull more amps with the higher voltage on the same setup, so be careful not to blow anything, and definitely watch your temps. And after 4s, I would disconnect the BEC and use a seperate BEC or Rx pack.

You could use a diagram as shown below to connect one 5s pack. However, it would be more efficient to remove the dual plugs and use a single and less wires.

kookie_guy
01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
The controller is rated up to 21v

Are you certain? Because I contacted proboat about an issue I've been having running on 7 cell packs (issue is bulging capacitors with some smoke) and they told me there is absolutely no warranty for running over 14.4 volts, because that's what the ESC is rated for. They also told me that nowhere does it state that the ESC is rated for such a high voltage.

Just passing on what I've been told by proboat customer service.

ApacheDude
01-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Are you certain? Because I contacted proboat about an issue I've been having running on 7 cell packs (issue is bulging capacitors with some smoke) and they told me there is absolutely no warranty for running over 14.4 volts, because that's what the ESC is rated for. They also told me that nowhere does it state that the ESC is rated for such a high voltage.

Just passing on what I've been told by proboat customer service.

I thought I saw voltage ratings for this somewhere and found them again on Horizon Hobby website. In the product description they list the voltage range as 10v min, 21v max.

looking a bit further I found the same thing on Proboat's website.

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=PRB3309

:confused2:

kookie_guy
01-05-2009, 06:42 AM
I thought I saw voltage ratings for this somewhere and found them again on Horizon Hobby website. In the product description they list the voltage range as 10v min, 21v max.

looking a bit further I found the same thing on Proboat's website.

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=PRB3309

:confused2:

hmmmm, that is a great find, because now I can go back to them and fight for a new ESC. thank you very much. :thumbup1:

bitton79
01-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi,
sorry calcagno45 for my question, but how do i disconnect the BEC and use a seperate BEC or Rx pack?
Do you have a diagram of it?
Thanks'

rc123
01-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi,
how do i disconnect the BEC and use a seperate BEC or Rx pack?
Do you have a diagram of it?
Thanks'

Just take out the middle wire from the conector that goes from the esc in the RX. Should be red I think.
And plug in the RX pack to the receiver in the open (not used) slot
No diagram available from me :)

thrashmetal
01-11-2009, 02:45 AM
i was running 6s lipo in my stock blackjack brushless and so far the motor and esc have been able to handle it. with an octura x642 prop i got a top speed of 51mph. motor and esc temps werent too bad either after running it.

the only thing ive found running it with 6s lipo is that i have to reprogram the esc with the programming card occasionally. other than that it works great on 6s lipo.

donzi22
01-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Thrashmetal:
Did you disconnect the BEC to seperate it from the stock ESC when using the 6S pack? If not then the stock system can handle the high voltage to the receiver correct?

thrashmetal
01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
hey donzi,

i didnt touch anything on my esc or bec. all i did was program my esc for lipo and thats it.

donzi22
01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks !!! that sounds easy enough.

MAXAMUS
01-25-2009, 01:02 PM
i was running 6s lipo in my stock blackjack brushless and so far the motor and esc have been able to handle it. with an octura x642 prop i got a top speed of 51mph. motor and esc temps werent too bad either after running it.

the only thing ive found running it with 6s lipo is that i have to reprogram the esc with the programming card occasionally. other than that it works great on 6s lipo.

so running 2 x 3cell lipo's in series = 22.2v and no probs with a speed of 51mph stock now iam impressed thats the speed i want i have 2x 4cell lipo's and thought about running them in paralel what type of lipo's did you use and what were there specs mah c rating ect ect

thrashmetal
01-25-2009, 08:12 PM
the lipos i used were as follows

flightpower evo20 3s 3700 mah 20c continuous ,30c sustained with 50c burst

apogee magnum 3s 3800mah 20c continuous 50c burst

in my opinion when it comes to lipos your better off to pay extra and get flightpowers, trakpower or thunder power batteries.

i just bought a pair of the new thunder power pro race lipos 5000mah. although these ones are only 2s they have a rating of 40c continuous and 60c bursts.:w00t:

in the spring im going to try them in my blackjack and see what kind of top speed i can get with them.

785boats
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi guys.
I was just reading through this thread & thought I should let you know what happened to a member at our club. He was running 6s Lipo on the stock motor & esc.
He connected everything up, taped the hatch, put it on the water, as he had done many times previously, & noticed a wiff of smoke. Hadn't even touched the throttle yet.
After grabbing the boat out of the water & franticaly ripping off the hatch he had to unplug /rip out a molten & burning ESC.
Something finally objected to the high voltage.
Dont forget that a fullycharged 6s pack is 6 x 4.2v = 25.2v
A 5s pack is 21v
We figure it was probably the BEC on the pc board that fried trying to drop that voltage down to 4.8v. Then the fire started.
That's why it's reccommended to disconnect the BEC & use a seperate UBEC or RX battery pack.
He now runs a Hydra 120 in it I think
Just thought this info might save some grief down the track.
Cheers.
Paul.

Jesse J
01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
On disconnecting the Proboat's BEC: I hate to tear out the middle wire and be committed to an external BEC or battery pack if I want to go back to 4S or less, so I get me one of those 6" servo extensions and remove the middle wire on it. That way I havn't altered the stock ESC and can go back to using its BEC.

785boats
01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Jesse.
There's no need to 'tear out' the red wire. Just use a small jewelers screwdriver to gently lift the plastic clip on the connector block & pull out the wire, complete with socket, & tape it back onto the cable for future use. When you want to use it again simply slide it back into the connector block until it clicks into place.
Cheers.
Paul.

boatpimp09
02-13-2009, 03:32 AM

did the same thing went like a rocket