PDA

View Full Version : Banzai Hydrosports 28" Experimental Sport Hydro

Darin Jordan
06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey Guys...

I've had this boat in the works for some time, and have finally gotten to full-time racing with it... For those not familiar with it, this is a Sport Hydro that I designed and built from scratch after being inspired by a Jon Staudacher designed hull called the "Mr. Bud" (http://acrodesigns.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=24&thumb=1)...

The video in the link is from this weekend and my first heat win with the boat... Still has some dialing in to do, but it's showing some promise... Has some radical design features, like an "interesting" turn-fin location and an entire driveline that is offset to the right about 1/2"...

This is an N2-Sport boat, and runs currently with a Neu 1515 motor, B125 ESC, and 2S2P Poly RC 4350mah Lipos (total 8700 mah)...

More to come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83mgwfF7AJs

saleens7
06-04-2007, 11:07 AM
cool boat....judging by the pic, its very wide, but not that long...could be distorted becasue of the angle of the boat though...

Steven Vaccaro
06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Ok, we see the purdy side! Looking good! Lets see the good stuff!

Diegoboy
06-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Very nice. Does that offset driveline make for the rudder in the center?

Also, should an RC boat be inspired by a real boat, or can it be based on something else entirely, even if the inspiration has nothing to do with a boat?

ReddyWatts
06-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I have heard of the rudders being offset 1/4 inch to help the boat run straight at WOT. A 1/2 inch offset seems pretty radical. How well is it working at helping it run straight?

Did you also mount the motor off center 1/2 inch?

saleens7
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
i see drag boats with offset drivelines a lot

for example

http://www.bbyracing.com/images/tomato5.jpg

drag boats are for strait line running, so i guess it does help....

Darin Jordan
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I have more pics of "the good stuff" at home... I'll post some tonight...

EVERYTHING is offset to the right... including the motor... It has it's drawbacks and I'm not convinced it isn't contributing to actually lifting the inside sponson in the straights (increasing the prop-torque effects on the inside sponson), but I'm still playing with it. A new turn fin for this outing seems to have fixed quite a few things... it originally had twice the surface area on the fin... now it isn't so stuck in the turns so some of the original dartiness went away... I'm actually thinking of going with even less on the next try...

Here is a pic of the bottom... The two aluminum plates on the bottom are motor-mount locations... The one toward the back is the original "as designed" location, which didn't work out due to the light-weight of the Lipos, so I had to revise it and move the motor WAY forward... Now it's "happy"... The there is a corresponding plate on the inside to which the motor mount is attached, so the system acts as additional cooling for the motor as heat is wicked out of the motor through the mount and cooled with water and air passing under the hull...

I'll get some pics of the "guts" put up tonight...

Darin Jordan
06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
cool boat....judging by the pic, its very wide, but not that long...could be distorted becasue of the angle of the boat though...

It's the pic... This hull is 28" long... has a tunnel width of about 8.5" or so, and has an afterplane of 59.999999% of the length... I think the pickle-fork cutout is also about 24.999999% of the length... The entire fuse is very "wing-like"... and it flies nicely right now...

SJFE
06-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Amazing......

Darin Jordan
06-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Here are some pics of the guts...

Darin Jordan
06-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Also dug out the "introduction" video that I put together just for the fun of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ZqlMoa7D8

Give a better perspective of the proportions...

Turn up the sound... the music ROCKS! ;)

Jeepers
06-05-2007, 01:28 AM
nice! boat darin!

Doozie870
06-06-2007, 09:14 AM
A scratch build! That is just incredible..

Darin Jordan
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks Guys... Here are a couple of construction pics...

Steven Vaccaro
06-06-2007, 09:40 AM
What a nice build! There's just something special about the wood gain and details. I bow down!!!

Piranha2
06-08-2007, 07:51 AM
awesome, looks like it handles very well.....what speed are you hitting on the straights? looks very fast......oh and yes, EXCELLENT driving skills.....Great job Darin

hkusp45
06-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Darin
You can build a boat for me any time!!

Looks great!!

Darin Jordan
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
The Banzai HydroSport 28 came through big at the 2007 Nats!! I was 2nd overall this time out, right behind my buddy John, who set a new National record for N2-Sport! His Dark Horse Shovel was FLAWLESS and the fastest N2-Sport hydro I've ever seen... Also set the P-Sport record later in the week!

I still have some kinks to work out, the main one being to try to get some of the air out from under the hull to keep the boat from "kiting" in a headwind and at top speed... but the thing SURE likes to swing around the corners!!

Again... photo credits go entirely to Jim Clark Photography... He's OUTSTANDING!!

Jeepers
07-04-2007, 02:14 AM
GOOD JOB! thats an interesting place for a turn fin, but that boat turns well. how come you didnt put it on the back of the sponson like most hydros you see?
just curious.

Darin Jordan
07-04-2007, 10:35 AM
GOOD JOB! thats an interesting place for a turn fin, but that boat turns well. how come you didnt put it on the back of the sponson like most hydros you see?
just curious.

Two reasons... First, if you look closely at the sponsons, there just isn't room there...

and two... the real boat that inspired this has it outrigged like I have it...

It turns like it's on a tether!! :cool:

Jeepers
07-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Two reasons... First, if you look closely at the sponsons, there just isn't room there...

and two... the real boat that inspired this has it outrigged like I have it...

It turns like it's on a tether!! :cool:oh now I see the back of the sponson was paying more attention to the rest of the hull!:D It does not have a tether. it is mounted to rails set just below the water!!!:D :D

Darin Jordan
01-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Well... In the interest of supporting the IMPBA length restrictions, our club (a NAMBA club...) decided this winter to run under the IMPBA trial ruleset for hull sizes...

With concerns that I won't have time to complete my HydroSport 27 project (plans are drawn and copied... I just need to start cutting wood...), I decided to modify my current HydroSport 28 prototype to make it 27" and legal under the proposed rules...

Being that it was 28.25" long with a 59.9999% afterplane length... (I like to build RIGHT to the LIMITS... like any good racer... ;) ) I decided the best way to go about making it legal was to trim the length off the tips of the sponsons, creating an "anti-submarine" style pad surface up there, and then add a .750" or so block to the back of the sponsons to decrease the afterplane length to the allowed 60% or 16.2"...

The first step was to turn on the bench mounted belt sander and trim the sponson tips... The pictures show about what the profile will be...

I'll cover this area with 1/16" ply and refinish... Nice thing about it so far is the sanding didn't even disturb the deck paint, so if I'm careful glueing the pad on, I shouldn't have to do much work to keep it looking as kool as it did... just add some coats of clear laquer and it'll be done...

I'll get to work on extending the ride pads later this weekend... I'll post pics as I get them...

I think I'll call it the "Banzai HydroSport 28 - 1" ;)

JimClark
01-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Do you think that that it will be harder to get up on plane now?

jim

Darin Jordan
01-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Do you think that that it will be harder to get up on plane now?

jim

No... In fact... I think that the pads will help push the nose up sooner... This part of the sponson was LONG anyhow.... They were profiled off of a set of Rigger sponsons, so they extended forward way more than they actually had to...

Darin Jordan
01-21-2008, 12:20 AM
OK Guys... based on some feedback from Brian, I reduced the angle as much as seem practical to take some unwanted lift out of the front... It's as good as it's going to get for now... I've completed the update, including the extension on the ride-pad to make the afterplane legal... It's 16.1899999999...." now... can't be over 16.2" to be legal... ;)

We'll just have to see how it'll work...

Eyekandyboats
01-21-2008, 08:17 AM
pushin it to the limit, thats how shes done :)
my rigger is exactly 26.9 inches long :) LOL

Ctonez
01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Glad to see this boat is still going to compete...one of my favorites in the paddock!:thumbup1:
...looks cool underwater too! This hydro loves chop...when the wind blows, the shovels are flipping everywhere, but this hull really handles it well.

Darin Jordan
01-21-2008, 11:03 AM
...looks cool underwater too! This hydro loves chop...when the wind blows, the shovels are flipping everywhere, but this hull really handles it well.

Thanks Corey... I'm a little concerned that that little "aero-lift" problem it's had is going to be compounded now, as the tips of the sponsons now will have a good deal more hydro-lift... but maybe that'll allow me to run the strut a little deeper and counter the aero-lift issues... Only testing will tell...

With this done, however, I can now focus on getting my P-mono done for this season... Still trying to decide which hull to do...

Ctonez
01-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I suggest something small and low-powered:D

Darin Jordan
01-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I suggest something small and low-powered:D

Hmmmmm.... :glare:

We'll have to see... I have three options at the moment... dependent partially on what happens with the NAMBA rules...

If the length limits are voted in... I'll build either my 32" Wild Thing or my 32" Maus Bullet for this season....

If they don't... then I need to get my 1527 on order and I'll build the 36" Delta Force... and I'll use the 32" Maus as my new N2-Mono and get a 1521 0.5Y for it......

I really hope it doesn't come down to that... because quite frankly... I don't want to have to afford it...

Ctonez
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I have to admit, the wild thing has my curiosity piqued...The Maus is cool too, but seems a bit more rare these days, maybe you should put it away for safe keeping. Both are special hulls IMO.

I already know what will happen if length limits aren't passed...it means less fun in the future for me, I can't afford to retool at this point.

Darin Jordan
01-21-2008, 02:02 PM
I already know what will happen if length limits aren't passed...it means less fun in the future for me, I can't afford to retool at this point.

You aren't alone... you, others, and me, are all in the same "boat", so to speak...