PDA

View Full Version : Painting hull

kookie_guy
01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I imagine this has been covered before, but doing a search on "paint" came up with nothing.

I currently have a BJ26, that I want to repaint during the winter shutdown. What paint are you supposed to use? I imagine it's gonna some special paint that remains flexible so it does not crack when the hull flexes.

If it's been covered, please point me in the right direction.

cheers, and thanks.

Rex R
01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
might I inquire if you have looked in the 'Tips & Info' section of this website? anywho 'Krylon' seems to work for me. paint in general needs time to 'cure', usually about a month, before you try peeling hatch tape off it.

Flying Scotsman
01-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Kamil, the key is proper preperation.... Wet sand the hull with 200 then 400 wet and dry sandpaper...fill any defects..sand again...remove all sanding residue..test on a small section compatibility of the primer to the original surface..If OK...prime the hull and wet sand again with 400 0r 600... remove the residue..then use a top coat paint from the same manufacturer as the prime coat...apply the paint in light coats and allow the paint to flash ( the paint will just loose a wet appearance ) between coats.

PS Rex is correct..give most paints at least 30 days to cure and do not use a wax within this period. Polish with no wax is OK

Douggie

Ub Hauled
01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
30 days outta biznez?! That is too much time here in California...
I guess you guys (cold areas) have better paint jobs then we do here,
;)

JimClark
01-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Are BJ hulls painted or gelcoat? If gelcoat there wouldnt be any problems with compatability I don't think. Depends on how fancy you want to get. If it is just rattle cans look for duplicolor and for sure use the duplicolor primer.

Jim

Flying Scotsman
01-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Jan, damn it, you Californians are starting to talk like Texans :smile:

Douggie

Ub Hauled
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
LOL... what you talking about! They have a weird accent...
:smile:

kookie_guy
01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
awesome. thanks for the help guys. Any yes, being in Canada is good for something, LOL! It's the time to get all the toys pimped out.