PDA

View Full Version : Mtgoat's VS1 Build

mtgoat
12-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Here's what I've been up to over the holidays. Hats off to Darin Jordan and Properchopper for the inspiration.:tiphat:

properchopper
12-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Nice work ! Should really rock with the UL-1 powerplant. I'd have done the same, but the upcoming Spec OPC class at WW V specifies the SV-27 stuff only. Keep posting your progress :thumbup:

mtgoat
01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Here it is. Just in time for the thawing of the boat pond!

I'm running the UL-1 motor and ESC, (2) 2s 5350mAh 20C lipos in series.
By using a low-profile servo, I was able to mount the ESC underneath in order to get the weight back far enough to use a Rx pack up front. :confused1:

I ran it this weekend even though I didn't yet have a cooling jacket for the motor. No heat problems with that motor out there in the breeze, though! :cool2:

Right now I'm running an M440 prop. I plan on making a rear compartment lid with room for a data recorder. I want to get some amp readings before I try more prop.

Special thanks to Danny B. for the paint job. It has a blue pearl finish that has to be seen to be appreciated.

properchopper
01-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Looks great & should really rock with the VS-1 powerplant. I've run a X442 & M445 on my 29 " mono with that powerplant without issues [ so far]. I use a CC BEC on my VS-1 to keep the weight down & I once used a low profile servo on my TS-2 until I burned it up at the 07 SAW's doing something stupid :doh: I'd be interested in any GPS readings & handling reports you're getting. Keep us posted .

mtgoat
01-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the propeller suggestions.

I should have video this weekend if the weather holds out, and possibly GPS readings also. I'm still experimenting with trim. This is my 1st tunnel hull, so it may take a while for me to get things ironed out.

mtgoat
01-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Here's video footage of the VS1 running an x637.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A94y7eytQ7M

properchopper
01-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Super job !! Watching the vid made my day ! Trimmed out nice, corners flat, good speed. Are you going to sneak up a little larger on prop ?

Flying Scotsman
01-26-2009, 12:31 PM
A great video. I loved the kids comments. Reminded me of when I was their age and was in awe of noisy, smelly scratch built boats with valve/tube rc control and wishing I had the skill and money to build them.

Douggie

mtgoat
01-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Are you going to sneak up a little larger on prop ?

Very likely, yes. It seems to have no trouble turning the x637.

We were mobbed by kids all afternoon ... and more than a few adults.
"Yes, they're expensive. No, you can't drive it."

I never had toys half as cool when I was a kid. I'm still trying to make up for it!
:roflol:

properchopper
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I never had toys half as cool when I was a kid. I'm still trying to make up for it!
:roflol:

'Know what 'ya mean. When I was a kid I was so poor I had to cut the pockets out of my pants just so I had something to play with ! :bounce:

nate
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Whats the average run time on your set of flight power lipo's?
You were in the throttle it seemed forever...must be a great setup...Now I wanna build one!!!!! lol.
Damn these forum's and there flashy boats!

mtgoat
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
The batteries are 5350 mAh. I think I'm getting almost ten minutes with an M440 prop. That'll give me 41 mph. With more prop it'll go faster with a much shorter runtime, but the pond is only 100 yards long.