PDA

View Full Version : Hitec Servos on Futaba 3PM Radio?

10gauge
12-27-2008, 07:19 PM
I am thinking of switching over to 2.4GHz from FM and not have to ever worry about antenna mounting. I have an ample supply of Hitec servos. I'd like to simply change out the receiver, and substitute my ample supply of Hitec servos.

1. Can I use Hitec HS-645 or HS-475 servos on a Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz radio?
2. Does the Futaba 3PM have telemetry?
3. Any recommendations?...

Thanks

mike martin
12-27-2008, 09:32 PM
yes you can use hitec servos with futaba
no the futaba does not have telemetry the new spectrum does or you could put eagle tree system on either
futaba, spectrum/ JR and airtronics 2.4 systems work well

Bill-SOCAL
12-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Spektrum/JR specifically recommends against using their pistol type radios in boats.

Futaba FASST works like a charm. The Hitec servos will work fine with the 3PM.

10gauge
12-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Thank you Mike and Bill for the heads up info! Not having to worry about an antenna on the hull makes things easier and streamlines the look too.

Bill-SOCAL
12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I strongly urge you to still mount the antenna in a vertical position clear of as much of the wiring, etc. as you can. Just because the antenna is short should not be an excuse to mount it in a sub-optimal orientation.

The antenna on the FASST receivers is just the bare looking section at the end of the wire. The rest is very small coaxial cable to allow you to get the antenna mounted.

Yes, I know, lots of guys run them inside the box, but Futaba recommends a vertical mounting. 2.4 RF is vertically polarized so putting the antenna flat in the box is the least favorable orientation for it. If you must have it inside the box at least try to get the tip vertical.

10gauge
12-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Bill. At 2.4GHz, polar radiating patterns become very directional indeed. I wasn't aware that Futaba had a vertical orientation.

BTW, great recommendation on LiPo Packs from RCLiPos last year. The PolyRC 4S/5000/25C and 6S/5000/25C packs are still amazing!

785boats
12-28-2008, 02:06 PM
If you have a carbon fibre hull the antenna will need to be outside the hull as the carbon fibre blocks the signal.
No first hand knowledge here, it's just something I read somewhere. I think some of the aeroplane guys found out the hard way too.
Cheers.
Paul.

Bill-SOCAL
12-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Carbon is indeed the death knell for 2.4. But even objects like batteries, pipes, engines, motors, etc. can block 2.4 GHz signals. JR/Spektrum knows this only too well. Their implementation of 2.4 is more prone to physical blocking so they came out with the remote receivers they use. Almost all the airborne systems have at least 1 and sometimes up to four remote receivers to increase the potential for a solid signal.

FASST is less prone to this problem due to FHSS system that it uses. But it is not immune and hence the recommendation that the antenna be mounted vertically and in a position that optimizes the potential for a good link.