PDA

View Full Version : Power to a servo

Simon.O.
12-23-2008, 02:54 AM
A mod can shift this if I am in the wrong section. It is just that there are a lot of people here that may have an answer to this one.

I need more power to a servo that is not in a boat, it is in my crawler.
Given that we have a red+black ( I assume power) wires to the servo plus the signal wire that is yellow or orange or white, can I just jump the +ve and -ve from the rx pack straight into the servo and hope that the signal from the rx pack goes there and does its job.

I have a twin servo setup on the rear and a single on the front.

OR should I just bite the bullet and buy some higher power servos.

Merry Christmas to all

Ub Hauled
12-23-2008, 03:02 AM
Simon, how are you mate?
I think it'd be easier to get new servos... there is also another way.
you can get something like a CC BEC (http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html)
with these little guys you can program (via USB cable) the voltage sent to the servo. You would not need the Rx pack since you these are made to be drawing power from your main batteries.

Happy Holidays

AndyKunz
12-23-2008, 09:41 AM
If you're running a crawler, you might want to check out the new high-voltage JR servos (http://search.horizonhobby.com/index.jsp?N=0&Ntt=jr+high-voltage&sid=11E644A19B2A). I don't see a surface one right now, but the high-torque aircraft one might do what you need depending on if you have the room inside. Then you won't need a BEC.

If you decide to power your servo directly from the battery (4.8-6.0V!) be sure you put a switch in the line. You want to turn off the servo when you turn off the radio. Also, you need to connect the black that powers the receiver to the black that powers the servo.

Andy

RandyatBBY
12-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I have built a few RC rock crawlers ( I placed 36 in the nation a few years ago) and a digital servo will help. But you need 150 inch ounces servo and must be cooled after not too much time running if you put a lot of pressure on it. They can burn up the motor. 300 inch ounce servos work good but are real expensive and still burn up. Go to RCCrawler.com for a lot of good info. I do not RC crawl much any more since I got my 1974 built Bronco.

Simon.O.
12-23-2008, 01:10 PM
If you decide to power your servo directly from the battery (4.8-6.0V!) be sure you put a switch in the line. You want to turn off the servo when you turn off the radio. Also, you need to connect the black that powers the receiver to the black that powers the servo.

Andy

Let me see if I have got this one right.
From the rx pack I run red and black to the rx via a switch as normal.
I can then take red and black straight from the rx pack to the servo wires (via a switch).
This in effect puts the rx and servo in a parallel setup.

If this is correct then I will be able to run the rx off a 9v square like my boats and have the 5 cell AA pack to drive the servos. This will be two independant systems.

The crawler is a TXT-1 so space and weight are not my biggest worries here.
I'll have a play with this idea today and see what happens.

This thread is servo related but could go to the anything electric section further down here.

AndyKunz
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Like this picture.

Andy

RXred -----> SW1 ------->RX
RXblack----> SW1 ------> RX
|
|
|
SXblack-----> SW2 -----> SX
SXred-------> SW2 -----> SX

You need the servo and rx blacks connected at the battery (before the switch) to provide a common reference voltage to the servos.