PDA

View Full Version : Going to Run in the Forbiden Zone....

avengersteve
04-05-2007, 06:07 PM
SALT WATER

What should i do to help protect from rust?

saleens7
04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
spray corrosion X on the Rx, servo, and esc...

i would also immidiately wash down the hull w/ fresh water after you are done runing...

SJFE
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
The best thing you can do is not run in salt water. If you have no other choise then I guess just rince it really good.

sjslhill
04-05-2007, 07:47 PM
My brother lives in Sarasota Fl, I have always druelled about running offshore on the beach...wave hopping with some large Cat or Mono.

Yes, you have to wash everything really quickly in fresh water when your done. Use corrosion X. I think I'd coat the hardware with WD 40 as well.

SJFE
04-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I would fresh water flush, wash and relube my outboard every night after a phyco tour. Only fell in a few times to!!

avengersteve
04-05-2007, 08:45 PM
i figured it would be the same as my real boat, i think im going to tear it completly down after. only reason for salt use is the only fresh water around here is on base, and the sailors are starting to fish in it and they get mad.

hookedup
04-08-2007, 05:33 AM
SALT WATER

What should i do to help protect from rust?

we dont have any fresh water lakes or ponds to run in here in hawaii, so we run in the ocean. i use both corrosion block and wd40 and i still get a little rust here and there. my advice is to use some sort of spray/lube on all metal parts on the boat and give it a thorough rinse with fresh water directly after running it, dont wait till you get home. then rinse again at home and re-lube and re-spray everthing.

Diegoboy
04-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Good advice. I have plenty of salt water around here, but we also have plenty of fresh water too! ;)

properchopper
04-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Since I live one mile from the ocean, I've only run in salt water. The trick is to seal the insides from water intrusion no matter what it takes. A little salt water corrosion will "weld" drive dog, coupler, and gear setscrews, making them un-turnable . Corrosion-X everything in sight, & remove shafts & lube after every run. Flush out cooling lines too. Sometimes we have no choice but to " run 'em where we brung 'em !

Chuck E Cheese
06-07-2009, 02:03 PM
i live in hawaii where there is no fresh water. salt water is no problem. i rinse the boat with a hose, remove driveshaft and wd-40 weverthing then wipe it clean. when i get home i set it in front of a fan to dry completly. the key is keeping the water out. i have no problem with rust. also flush the cooling system with fresh water (make a waterbottle cap with a small brass tube in it) and then fllush the cooling system with wd. also take care of your bearings. i have sunk several boats in the salt and with proper drying and cleaning i hardly loose components other than servos.. dont be scared of the salt water, it is no big deal... corosion block is great but with proper cleaning not necessary (at $20 a can, no thanks i run at least 2 boats almost every day)