PDA

View Full Version : Have'nt seen a new Mean Machine build in the past week. So.........

Chilli
12-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Well my son wanted me to build him a Mean Machine for Christmas and I finally got it done. I can't wait for him to see it. Last time he peaked I was just starting to paint it. He picked a paint scheme that I mooched of a cheapo Ebay RTR. I wasnt sure if it would go with the MM's lines but I think it worked out well. This was my second build.

The hull was a FE layup and the top of the tunnel was pretty flexible so I added a layer of FG fore of the CF. I added a few plywood pads for the RX battery and ESC to sit on. I used a thicker piece of plywood for the stuffing tube support and then went a little crazy with the epoxy putty to seal the tube to the hull. Motor mount is a Vac-u-boat unit. Running gear is the standard Speedmaster fare everyone has been using. Strut is set up a little less than 1/4' from the bottom of the sponsons and about a degree positive on the angle. I ran out of cooling line so that's why there is three of them.

The motor is something a little different. A Mega 22/30/4 w/ a Hacker 77. that was in my Titan 33. It's a high voltage set up. Should do mid 40's with 24 cells and I'll switch over to 8S Lipos when I recover from Christmas. I'm starting with a X637 Prop.

The paint was a PITA as I thougth it would be. I have undiagnosed obsessive complusive disorder:huh: and must of painted that sucker about 5 times untill I was happy. I couldnt find Krylon at Home Depot or Lowes and settled for some crappy lacquer. Big mistake. It was very soft even after a few weeks and every thumb print and tape mark left a permanent mark. Couldnt even buff it out. So I'm strolling around Wally World and sure enough I stumble accross some Krylon. Much better. Red and silver pinstriping from ebay made for some nice crisp lines.

Spot Me 2
12-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Very nice!!! Very clean build!

Xzessperated
12-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Very nice indeed Sir. Your son should be very happy. At first glance I thought it was the Ebay boat.

Fluid
12-20-2008, 05:39 PM
That is an excellent build, very professional looking. I like the idea of using volts to get the needed wattage rather than using amps with low volts. Easier on everything - and 1400 watts will really move that cat!

properchopper
12-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Sweet paint job. Should be a fun, stable ride !

Eodman
12-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Great build - if your son doesn't like it you can adopt me .... I'm only 57!

I'm working on 2 MM builds ... 1 is a rebuild and the other is scrach build. With Christmas and life getting in the way its a slow go but I'll try to post some early pictures later today on a seperate entry!

ReddyWatts
12-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Have not seen this motor in a boat setup before. I am interested in how well it handles the heat from the 1500 watts. Looks really good.

Mega 22/30/4

940 kv, 6-pole, 1000 watts max, 50 amps max.

Weight 218 (gms), Diameter 36 (mm), Length 53 (mm) Length, Shaft Dia 5 (mm), 87 Efficiency %

(

Doug Smock
12-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Very nice work sir!!!:thumbup::tiphat:

Doug :popcorn2:

Chilli
12-21-2008, 12:58 PM
The only boat I've seen run this motor is the Titan 33 mono. There is a gentleman on the Rumrunners site who is mostly into helo's now. He came up with this set up and a couple of us have copied it with no problems, though honestly I only had about a dozen runs in my Titan with 20 and 24 crappy cells. One other person did run this motor with 8S and did not mention any temperature issues.

Here are some numbers taken from the first Titan 33 using this motor w/ top notch Nimh cells and a tuned prop.
X637/3300 = 5.25min, 42 mph, under 120 cell temps
X637/3800 = 6.25min, 42 mph, under 120 cell temps
X640/3300 = 4.30min, 44 mph, under 145 cell temps
X640/3800 = 5.00min, 44 mph, under 150 cell temps

So hopefully this set up will do okay for a while in the MM. I'm getting a infrared thermometer for Christmas and will post some numbers when I get a chance. If I fry something, I'll consider myself moving up a step on the OSE food chain. Notice I made the ESC pad Etti 150 size just in case I want to change the setup in the future.

10gauge
12-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Great craftsmenship in all areas - It's the best looking Mean Machine I've seen. I mounted the antenna in the same location. Wow! 24-cells is going to be heavy... Overall, an excellent build!

calcagno45
12-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Nice clean build!!! I love the paint scheme.

sewerpit
12-30-2008, 02:23 PM
getting close to finishing my mm build, do you guys recommend using a BEC or reciever pack . i am using an 8xl and hydr 120 esc thanks

RandyatBBY
12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
getting close to finishing my mm build, do you guys recommend using a BEC or reciever pack . i am using an 8xl and hydr 120 esc thanks

I allways prefer a reciever pack infact a 5 cell I like best. No glitching. :banana:

calcagno45
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I allways prefer a reciever pack infact a 5 cell I like best. No glitching. :banana:

I second that notion! I use 5-cell Rx packs in everything I use. I picked up a batch of 2/3A cells from Tenergy and Rx leads and made my own packs. Works like a champ!

zypher9
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Very nice and clean work, sir.
Is there any room for an adoption son? :bounce:

sewerpit
12-31-2008, 08:27 AM
thanks guys ,reciever pack it is

Chilli
01-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Got her out for the first shake down this weekend. What a blast! On the first run the water was choppy and the boat handled great! Had 24 marginal cells in her and a X637 prop. She only did mid 30's, but it was a good starting point for my son. Batteries were the only thing warm. First two runs she was bone dry. On the third run, the boat started to act up and had to be towed in. It had a bunch of water in it. I thought it was one of the hose fittings. I took out the flex and noticed the shaft bushing had a sludge on it. Then I noticed the teflon tube had a hole worn through it near the coupler. Turns out I didnt have the motor aligned as well as I thought I did. We'll get her back in the water later this week and see if we got it all sorted out. Can't wait to get some Lipos but will have to wait a few weeks. Just ordered a Etti 150 for my Titan 33.

Xzessperated
01-05-2009, 08:53 AM
You are being very Nauti posting pics like that :drool:. They make me want a cat too.
I guess your son had a grin from ear to ear watching this boat go for the first time.

Chilli
01-05-2009, 08:59 AM
You've got to love digital camera's. You shoot 100 pictures, do a little crop and color correction and a few pics are bound to come out good.

sewerpit
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
want to paint my mm hull, decals were already on. any easy way to get them off ? quite the pain to peel off.

Chilli
01-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Put some gentle heat to them to soften the glue up. Like a hair dryer.

sdartt
01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
The first of the two MM I am building. Carbon fibre was a bugger to install in this one. The next build I think I will try to spray a little adhesive down first. I want to cover the sponsons also. Want to go with inline rudder strut on the second one also. Thinking maybe octura with the octura long bracket.

Chilli
04-04-2009, 11:25 PM
I did the FE version of loosing my virginity today. Replaced the 24 cell NIMH with 6S power. Everything came in cool but boat was a little slow. Threw in the 8s power. The boat rocked, but it was too my amps for the poor Hacker 77. After about 2 1/2 minutes, carnage erupts. Luckily, the smell isnt too bad and most of that sticky gooey black stuff that used to be my ESC wipe clean with a rag and a little WD40.

Well, since I have a 4s setup in my Titan with a Etti 150, I figure in the name of redundancy I'll do the same with the Mean Machine. Just looking for a cool, cheap, reliable mid 40's for my son to run novice class for the next two years. Based on what I have read here, I'm thinking the 10XL. Is that my best bet?

lomdel
04-05-2009, 01:11 AM

I assume that is with a 4S lipo setup?

Mel279
04-05-2009, 06:45 AM
I have a MM, and Im using 12xl, hydra 240, 6s lipo, x442...top speed 45mph.

Chilli
04-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Now that I think about it, I should do 6s. Cheaper in the long run.

Anyone try the Etti 150 (non BEC) on 6s ???

Mel279
04-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Now that I think about it, I should do 6s.

Anyone try the Etti 150 (non BEC) on 6s ???
Yes u can use on 6s lipo, but its recommended to install the capacitor module just to be safe. What motor kv are u going to use?

Chilli
04-05-2009, 11:31 AM
If I use the 12xl Feigao it would be 1445. I thought the capacitor module was helpful only if your pushing your batteries hard. My current 3s packs are 25c 4800's and any future packs I buy would probably be at least 30c. Set me straight if Im wrong.

10gauge
04-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Nautiboyz, I'd stick with 4S on the Mean Machine. I've had great success with this hull with an ideal combination of 9XL, 4S2P, Castle 120 ESC, and a M545 prop. Speed is a consistent 50mph.

EPower
04-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes u can use on 6s lipo, but its recommended to install the capacitor module just to be safe. What motor kv are u going to use?

Etti 150 race 6s no problem, i ran mine on 8s only for over one minute :doh: not sure where my brain was at the time maybe the extra caps saved it's still running strong ordered some new batt will be running it on 7s from now on LOL

bustitup
04-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Nautiboyz, I'd stick with 4S on the Mean Machine. I've had great success with this hull with an ideal combination of 9XL, 4S2P, Castle 120 ESC, and a M545 prop. Speed is a consistent 50mph.

linc us to the video gauge:rockon2:

Chilli
04-05-2009, 07:19 PM
10gauge, Ive read your previous posts and know the 9xl is a proven set up. I was just looking for something a bit milder. Thats why I was thinking the 10xl on 4s. Or should I just prop down a 9xl. My son is 11 and he is a bit intimidated by the speeds on my Titan. Plus I don't want him my kicking my butt. At least not yet......:thumbup1:

egneg
04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I would go with the 10XL - proping down could lead to cavitation and frustration.

Chilli
04-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Never thought about cavitation with a small prop. Thanks for your input guys! I think I'm going to do the 10xl, M445 & M545 with an Etti 150.

Chilli
04-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, I've got the 10XL in and hope to give her a spin this weekend. I also added some battery trays to help keep the batteries dry in case I a take in a little water. I'm going to try her with a b & s X640 that I already have and 4s2p 30c 4500's this weekend (weather permitting). Based on previous posts I guess I can expect around 40 mph with the right prop. That will be fine for my 11 year old.

One concern. I'm only using 12 gauge wire for the battery pigtail wires I added to run 2p with the Etti. I know bigger is better but will that be adequate for the 10XL? Also, the way the Etti is positioned, I just want to verify that making one wire longer than another is a big No, No. I can reach both batteries in the current configuration but could shorten the port battery wires.

bustitup
04-11-2009, 12:34 PM
two things I may recommend Sir

#1 make sure you float check the hull with the weight in it...I had a problem with my auto bailers letting in too much water...I plugged mine up

#2 I noticed a very flimsy weak spot in the tunnel floor about mid way....I would add more CF cloth over the tunnel about 3" forward of the front of the hatch or 3" forward of that black line you have there.......hold the boat upside down and push on the tunnel about mid way...mine flexed a lot there

very nice clean install you have there Man and god choice on components

Well, I've got the 10XL in and hope to give her a spin this weekend. I also added some battery trays to help keep the batteries dry in case I a take in a little water. I'm going to try her with a b & s X640 that I already have and 4s2p 30c 4500's this weekend (weather permitting). Based on previous posts I guess I can expect around 40 mph with the right prop. That will be fine for my 11 year old.

One concern. I'm only using 12 gauge wire for the battery pigtails I added to to the Etti. I know bigger is better but will that be adequate for the 10XL? Also, the way the Etti is positioned, I just want to verigy that making one pigtail longer than another is a big No, No. I can reach both batteries in the current configuration.

Chilli
04-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I bought a fresh hull so no auto bailers. CG is about 9" from the transom and I have the batteries about as far back as I can get them. I would have to add some weight to the stern to move it further back.

I did add a layer of F/G to the tunnel floor from the CF to three inches forward of that black line (just as you described) and down the sides of the tunnel. That line was drawn on the F/G cloth when I was cutting it. I used a small foam paint roller when applying the resin to the cloth. For those that are novices at applying F/G, this helps keep the cloth from pulling apart and makes for a nice even finish. The F/G obviously isnt as stiff as CF, but I had some laying around the house and I'm satisfied with the addional strength it provided.

Thanks for the Kudos. I could not have done it without the knowledge you guys share!!!

Jesse J
04-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice thread, and great looking MM Nauti. I have the 9XL, CC120, .15" flex and an X445 - low 40s and now that I installed a 5" rudder - rock solid. I posted some datalogger graphs in my datalogger thread if you are interested. I am really happy with this set up, my cog is about 28% and she rides nice.

I have a question for all MM owners, How do you keep it dry??? I have plugged my autobailers and float tested it (hatch off and pushed it down to check for leaks) and dry. I run it for a couple minutes and a cup o water! I am pretty sure it ain't comin in through the flex, and I run tape all around the hatch... Imma stumped. Any great ideas out there?

tylerm
04-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Nice thread, and great looking MM Nauti. I have the 9XL, CC120, .15" flex and an X445 - low 40s and now that I installed a 5" rudder - rock solid. I posted some datalogger graphs in my datalogger thread if you are interested. I am really happy with this set up, my cog is about 28% and she rides nice.

I have a question for all MM owners, How do you keep it dry??? I have plugged my autobailers and float tested it (hatch off and pushed it down to check for leaks) and dry. I run it for a couple minutes and a cup o water! I am pretty sure it ain't comin in through the flex, and I run tape all around the hatch... Imma stumped. Any great ideas out there?

Buy a hand fuel pump from your LHS and pressure test your cooling system. I had a problem with water getting in and it turned out to be a pinhole in a bit of fuel tubing. All fixed now, no seal on drive line and not even a drop of water.

Tyler.

Jesse J
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Great idea! I think you hit the only thing I haven't checked and thanks for the method.

Chilli
04-11-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know if it's required but I'm a bit of a obsessive compulsive and zip tie any cooling lines that don't attach to a barbed fitting. The only time I take on water is when my boat dies and is towed in stern first. And there was another instance when my motor and stuffing tube were not aligned correctly and the flex wore through the Teflon tubing.

I have a question for other MM owners with the Aeromarine hardware. How long is the stock rudder measured from the bottom of the tunnel and does the boat turn well at speed?

Simon.O.
04-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Buy a hand fuel pump from your LHS and pressure test your cooling system. I had a problem with water getting in and it turned out to be a pinhole in a bit of fuel tubing. All fixed now, no seal on drive line and not even a drop of water.

Tyler.
Tyler is right, a small hole in the fuel tubing that we all use for cooling lines will fill a boat with water.
For a few weeks I had issues with water entering my Canard and it turned out to be the cooling lines.
An alternative to a hand fuel pump is a large syringe, these can be picked up at most local chemists or pharmacies. I use one to pre charge my cooling lines and check for leaks.

Mel279
04-12-2009, 03:38 AM

I usually having problem with the water coming in from the stuffing tube eventhough I put a piece of tube but still water goes in, so I've decide to use 'Extreme performance grease', man!! this thing really solve my water leak problem, and it also doesn't melt easily.:thumbup:

Chilli
04-13-2009, 03:39 PM
First run this morning with the 10xl. It was chilly and temp was in the upper 40's. Elite 4s 30c 4500's were at room temperature. Next time I will heat them up a bit! Got only 35 mph out of her with a X640. Etti is set up for the Feigao at default settings except for the voltage cutt off. Drive line is nice and spinning free. Strut is 1 degree positive and bottom of strut is 3/16" above bottom of the sponsons. She was not running wet. No data logger yet. Battery and ESC temps were low 80's and motor was 102. I was using a Garmin 60C GPS in her. Not the smallest hand held...

Given the X640 prop and cool Lipos, am I in where I should be or should I be seeing more speed out of her?

Jesse J
04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I have a question for other MM owners with the Aeromarine hardware. How long is the stock rudder measured from the bottom of the tunnel and does the boat turn well at speed?

Stock rudder - not long enough! I swapped out mine for a 5" speedmaster rudder: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-21-rudder and how she turns now at full speed! Speeds are right at 40 and she is a tad wetter this time, but I was super happy with how she turns now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkrFAgn-eU

It was this run that I blew my datalogger and had a rear end tow back, that could have contributed to the heavy bilge... but still need to getter sealed up.

I will be on a spy hunt for the pesky leaks, thanks guys.

Rumdog
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
You should be able to turn a much larger prop than that. I run that prop on my 22'' hydro with the same esc, ammo 2600 on 4s. that xl motor and etti 150 can handle way more prop. Super nice build by the way!!

Rumdog
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Jesse J, she's a bit wet as you said but man it sure turns good. I'm starting to like this hull more and more!

Jesse J
04-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Did you say strut 3/16" ABOVE sponsons? That sounds real high, at least to me. And yes, prop up man, I got a X445 and temps <120s. On 4S and 9XL I am in low-mid 40s. Check out my datalogger thread and you will see that my PEAK amp draw is <120 with average around 100. You are probably drawing 60ish amps (1/3 amps your Etti is rated for!) I bet higher amp draw will warm things up nice and get everything flowing niiiiiiiiice. It will also warm your lipos:w00t:

Chilli
04-13-2009, 07:07 PM
The MM guru's on previous threads recommend the strut 3/16-1/4" above the bottom.

I just happen to have a X640 so thats what I tried. I saw a few post with guys using this prop on the MM, but obviously it's a bad choice for my motor. I'll go ahead and prop up. I'm still a little gun shy after BBQing the Hacker ESC.:eek:

Chilli
04-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Got the M545 on Thursday. Gave it a quick balancing and moved the strut up to 1/4" and about a degree positive. We got the boat in the water on Saturday. The 10XL with the M545 and 4s2p 30c 4500 gave me 43.5 mph. Excellant!!!!!!!!! Right where I wanted to be. Longest run was about 3 1/2 minutes. Not because of battery life, but because we flipped her over. Anyhow, after 3 1/2 minutes Etti was mid 80's, Battery and Motor was at 120 degrees. I ran the infrared all over the batteries and the hottest temps on the Polyquests were taken at the ends of the packs. Is this normal?

After jumping from Mid 30's to low 40's in speed we had a slight porpoising. I moved the CG from 8.5" off the transom to 9". I would call the porpoising barely noticeable now and I'm happy with the set up. Now I mention in an earlier post about the boat flipping on me and no one responded. We flipped her three out of four runs. The water was just slightly choppy. I did trim an inch and change off the 5" Speedmaster rudder. Is this just rookie driving mistakes or just the nature of the beast when going fast. Or did I screw up when trimming the rudder? The batteries do sit about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the sponsons. On thing that I've realized is that we always seem to flip her on the back stretch where it may be a little harder to read the water and/or the water a bit more choppy. The boat is well balanced. She got air born crossing a small boat wake in front of us and stayed nice and level. If anyone has any thoughts, please chime in.