PDA

View Full Version : conformal coating receiver

Jim Bob
12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Is there a reason not to conformal coat a receiver? I have searched the forums and most of the discussions are about epoxying the receiver. Does conformal caoting cause a weaker signal or...... Let me hear your thoughts.

andym
12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I use conformal coating on my receivers with no problems

Ub Hauled
12-16-2008, 09:29 PM
there are plenty of reason NOT to conformal coat your receivers...
:smile:

andym
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok Jan , what might they be?

Jimmy Sterling
12-17-2008, 03:37 AM
I know that alot of the guys running the larger gas trucks like to run them through water. To protect thier recievers they simply take the cover off and inject a crap load of silicone into it ensuring that the circuit board is completely covered, then then they just put the plastic cover back on the reciever. I cant really see any downside to doing this.

Fluid
12-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately, the acetic acid given off by many silicone glues is highly corrosive. This can wreak havoc with bare copper circuit boards and component leads and is not recommended.

Traditional conformal coatings can void a manufacturer's warranty. I use CorrosionX and water-soaked receivers are not a problem. But then I haven't sent one back for repair either.

Doby
12-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I have used 30 minute epoxy as well as hot glue.

Flying Scotsman
12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I also use Corrosion X. Some say it is old technology, but it has worked for me.

Douggie

ED66677
12-17-2008, 12:46 PM
as a conformal coating expert that I was (here (http://www.asymtek.com/applications/conformal_coating.htm)), I must say that if you use the appropriate material that does not attack any components (some do not resist to the thinner) there are only few reasons why not coating receivers, like material going in areas by capilarity, for our application in FE boat, we may want to use polyurethane material, that's what I'm doing with Humiseal 1A33, it is the best compared to other type, I had a customer few years ago who did a test on submerged pcb's, only the one coated with polyurethane was still functionnal under water!!! Also in the automotive industry, only PU are used for their excellent properties! It seems some new generation of materials like Parylene or water based are even better.

Jimmy Sterling
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I like Doby's idea of using 30 minute epoxy :thumbup1:

Ub Hauled
12-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok Jan , what might they be?

it came out wrong... what I meant to say is there are plenty of reason to do so...
sometimes things in my head don't come out right:doh:
sorry