PDA

View Full Version : lipo cutoff reliability

kookie_guy
12-16-2008, 10:27 AM
ok,
so during the offseason I'm switching to lipos. Gonna be running 2S 4900mah (x2). If I program to lipo and high cutoff, is the ESC reliable? Or should I still run an external LVC?

Fluid
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
What ESC do you have? If it's the stock BJ26 ESC it should be fine set on "high cutoff" which is 3.0 volts per cell. I prefer a 3.2 to 3.3 volts per cell cutoff, but as long as you bring the cat in immediately you should be fine. The "low cutoff" option is 2.7 volts per cell, 'way too low IMO.

kookie_guy
12-17-2008, 07:34 AM
What ESC do you have? If it's the stock BJ26 ESC it should be fine set on "high cutoff" which is 3.0 volts per cell. I prefer a 3.2 to 3.3 volts per cell cutoff, but as long as you bring the cat in immediately you should be fine. The "low cutoff" option is 2.7 volts per cell, 'way too low IMO.

ya it's the stock one. If I get an external LVC, is the voltage cutoff point adjustable? If you run an external one, you can leave it at low cutoff correct?

Fluid
12-17-2008, 09:53 AM
There are many external BECs - some are adjustable, some are automatic. I don't see why you would not set the ESC's BEC at low (2.7 volts) since an external BEC should be set higher and would "go off" sooner. If you run the stock BEC without an external BEC, set it on high.

I am not saying that the factory BEC is not good, I know nothing about its reliability. I just prefer to use a higher cutoff voltage.

thrashmetal
12-19-2008, 09:00 AM
i have been using the programming card to set the lipo cutoff on my blackjack brushless and have never had a problem with my lipos being discharged below 3 volts per cell. the lipo cutoff has always kicked in after running my boat and ive been running 6s lipo in my blackjack ( stock motor and esc)