PDA

View Full Version : AquaCraft UL-1 Superior FE Hydro RTR 2.4GHz

Sparky-rc
12-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Has anyone run one of the new AquaCraft UL-1 Superior FE Hydro RTR, and gotten a speed reading? Curious to see how fast you could go out of a box nowadays.

Tom

Fluid
12-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Since they just started shipping this week not many have them yet. The one I saw run in LA last October ran in the low 40s dead stock. Prop and strut changes increased the usable speed a few more mph. For 30 seconds of use a huge prop was mounted and the boat made an official 2-way average speed of 65 mph.....that was not a useful setup but it proved what "could" happen. The boat is awesome for the cost and quality, IMO anyway.

Sparky-rc
12-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum.

Low 40's out of the box......Hmmmmmmmm. Sounds like an interesting project. But then why not just buy a hull if we're going to change most of the important parts anyway. Sounds like a great starter boat, for someone getting into the hobby. Fast and reasonably priced. Thanks for the reply.

Tom

Fluid
12-13-2008, 11:34 PM
It isn't just a starter boat. Our club has members who have been in the hobby for many years, and we are using the UL-1 - and similarly powered hydros - as a club Limited Spec Hydro class. With a slight prop upgrade they should run mid-40s and provide some excellent close racing, where winning is not a matter of having the deepest pockets.

properchopper
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Let's just say, hypothetically :spy:, ahem, that I'm setting up a white [whoops:tape: ] Ul-1 for heat racing , and need the optimum battery setup. What mah capacity would give the best combination of capacity/weight (CG} balance considerations ? I have a set of Elite 2S 4800's for my LSO setup; would they be too heavy in the UL-1 for CG reasons ?

Darin Jordan
12-16-2008, 03:25 PM
I have a set of Elite 2S 4800's for my LSO setup; would they be too heavy in the UL-1 for CG reasons ?

I wouldn't think so... Put them in and go nuts! :rockon2:

Fluid
12-16-2008, 03:34 PM
To me, the driver will be the prop you will use. The less aggressive the prop, the less weight will be needed. If you are running a big prop and have speeds near 50 then the added weight of larger cell capacity may be helpful. Of course, LiPos are a pretty expensive way to add weight! :laugh:

Brian ran 65 mph with a single 4S/4500mAh Elite pack on the left side. But he had one heck of a prop to spin. I can't see a problem with four 4800 cells in saddle configuration.

properchopper
12-16-2008, 05:02 PM
A few QC issues. The motor-to- motor mount screws were stripped and loose. Re-tapped a scoshe larger; had to watch tap depth to not contact coils [ a few turns on the tap; grind the tip down, few more turns, grind...].
Motor was aligned higher than tube; tweak,tweak the motor mount.. Flex shaft end was soldered but rough where it entered tube, could eat up the teflon some.. Sand, sand ! That's as far as I've got so far.

properchopper
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Driveline done. Leaving strut as shipped. Plugged in batts; beep, beep, etc. Roar !! Man this is gonna be fun :rockon:

egneg
12-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Driveline done. Leaving strut as shipped. Plugged in batts; beep, beep, etc. Roar !! Man this is gonna be fun :rockon:

I just get to look at the box for now - can't wait for Christmas to get here. :popcorn2: