PDA

View Full Version : Bad neighbor???

Chop
12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I have a neighbor with whom our driveways meet. Not really shared but the two driveways meet in the middle. She (the neighbor) is 50ish, and in good health. She is also kind of a hermit. You say "Hi" and she turns her head the other way. Two weeks ago, after a snowstorm I did her a favor and cleaned out the snow at the end of the driveway. For those of you that have never experienced it, the stuff that the snow plow leaves behind is deep and heavy! She came out of the house, looked at the driveway, then at me and got in her car and left. No thanks, not even a nod. She has also done this to 3 or 4 of the other neighbors.

For three years now she had never shoveled her driveway. She uses my driveway instead. Well this year we have had enough. After this last storm I parked my car at the end of the driveway blocking my entrance. At about 2:30 in the afternoon she and her boyfriend had to leave for work, but they couldn't get out because they not removed the snow at the end of her driveway. Keep in mind that they were home all day and never came out - everyone else on the block was out shoveling or snow blowing. Anyway she got in her car and leaned on the horn for 20 to 30 seconds. Then she came over and rang our doorbell rapidly, 8 or 10 times. When we answered she demanded that we move the car. We said no. She kept saying "I have to get to work". She finally said “What am I supposed to do?” I said “Shovel like everyone else.” :doh: Well she got mad and finally they started to shovel her end of the driveway. Yep I was smiling all the time, I know that's bad and wrong but it was just too satisfying. :bounce:

Another problem, she keeps parking her car on the property line (that way she can get out on our driveway which is shoveled). This type of parking means her side mirror is over my driveway along with entire side of the car. This is usually not a problem, but when I have to snow blow or plow I have to back up and go around. So when she leaves for work then I have to go back out and finish cleaning up. Actually this last time I almost took off her mirror with the plow because she was so close.

I have called the landlord of the property, but nothing seems to happen. He is sympathetic, but does nothing.
:help:
A picture to show how close she parks, and how hard is is to plow around her....

Ub Hauled
12-11-2008, 07:27 PM
I WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING!!! She could at least said thanks for the back braking snow shoveling you've done, maybe now she'll understand the concept of gratitude.

Rex R
12-11-2008, 07:47 PM
two Qs spring to mind, does she have a sidewalk? and does your community have a shovel ordinance...round here you generally have 24hrs to clear your sidwalk or get fined... me I think a chat with the local police chief about the probs your unneighborly neighbors are causing you might yield some results(if nothing else she is being a nusience,and could be a fire hazard if the fds trucks or other emerg vehicles can't get up your drive).

Chop
12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
does your community have a shovel ordinance...round here you generally have 24hrs to clear your sidwalk or get fined...
Yes Rex, we have the same ordinances, but it is more of a hassle to not snowblow than it is to just clear her sidewalk on the way to the next neighbors. Besides we like our mailman and clear it for him.

Here's a picture of her car relative to our driveway. Note how her mirror is across the center.

Ub Hauled
12-11-2008, 09:23 PM
I think she does hat so she can come out of the car and not slip in the snow... then she walks your driveway til she crosses over onto her front door.

Spot Me 2
12-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Your nicer than me. After all that, I would plow her in!

OJ racer
12-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Good for you Chop! Some people just need to get served sometimes.

Eyekandyboats
12-11-2008, 10:08 PM
i hear you. some people are just to greatfull and take things for granted... or just a hard up cold old woman.
its a light car. next time she parks on snow grab the plow and push the car to the other side of the driveway.
OR!!!! you could go and put up one of those small white picket fences ( say it for snow reasons..) and then when she drives over it ... fTAKE HER TO COURT. !

Chop
12-11-2008, 10:42 PM
You got it Eyekandy

We thought long and hard about this. A fence would be nice. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy, can’t be like a stockade given the location. Just need something to define the line and keep her on her side.

Went to the local building supply store - $400 later (OH MY GOD – THAT’S A BOAT!!!) we have six fence panels and related hardware.

As we put the fence up my neighbor came out to start her car (not sure why ‘cause she never went anywhere). We had 2 six foot sections up at this time (as shown in the picture). 5 minutes went by and she didn't come out. We knocked on the door and asked if she wanted to move her car. She said no and slammed the door. So up went the rest of the fence. It happens that her rearview mirror was exactly where a post went. We took care and put some cardboard between the post & her car. The boyfriend came out and said this was “harassment.” Picking on a women like that. Uh, how is putting up a fence on my lot harassment? Oh well. We asked if she wanted to move it.

Just when I thought this was all over my neighbor called the police. A code enforcement officer pulled up. He walked up the driveway, looked at my side, looked at her side. :confused: I said, “they called, I guess you talk to them first, right?” He nodded in agreement and went to their house (duplex). Talked to them and then talked to me. I explained I called “so and so” with the building inspector at the city office… he stopped me and said "Oh, your fine, just where exactly is the property line?" I showed him. Hmm, he said, looks okay to me, I guess I’ll go make your neighbor more unhappy.:cursing:

She came out, demanded to know how she was supposed to get into her car? I said “We asked her if she wanted to move it before we got this far.” She then came out, climbed in the car passenger side, crawled across and shut the car off (it was 20 degrees F out – don’t know why she had to warm it up).

When 2:30 rolled around it was fun watching her climb across and try to back out with her mirror already touching the fence.

Ain’t life grand?:beerchug:

Eyekandyboats
12-11-2008, 11:19 PM
yaha i LOVE it

Ub Hauled
12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
niiiiiiiiice...
did she get the hint?
hehehehe

SJFE
12-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Good for you man!!!!!!:rockon2:
I had to dispose of my neighbors last summer. They never once entered or exited the house with out slaming the door hard enough to knock pictures off my wall. They would have jerry springer fights out front @ least 2 times a week. Then I notice ever other friday thier house was like grand central station. So instead of draging one of the 20 somthing dumb ass trailer trash morons out on the the front lawn and kickin the snot out ovem... I made a call to some family that happens to work on the county prosecutors office.
That was a day before our son was born. When we broght him home we where shocked to see a hole in the front door (battering ram) & the door was also taped off...& we never saw them again. Hmmm wonder what happened there:spy:.
Moral of the story being : Mess with the bull:mad:- Get the horns:cool2:.

Spot Me 2
12-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Jet
12-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Wasn't it Mark Twain that said: "Good fences make good neighbors"? Maybe not, but it looks like you now have a "good" neighbor.

Meniscus
12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Me? I'd offer them a shingle or two so that they could always get out of their own driveway.

(when traveling in the snow, I always keep a few things in my trunk or in the truck: 1) sleeping bag, 2) shingles. They are too easy to leave behind after you get out of being stuck in the snow/ice) But that's just me.

Nice fence! Sorry you're down a boat now, LOL!

Flying Scotsman
12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
This is a hillarious thread. I got in a bit of a hassle (SURPRISE) with a neighbour over his renovation project. Scaffolding went up that made it impossible for us and the adjacent neighbour to gain access to our property. This was done without a knock on the door and do you mind if we intrude across the property line. Then our fence was destroyed by a workman who did not know how to opperate his equipment. "Sorry about that it will be replaced ASAP".
3 months later nothing. So Douggie surveys the property line and builds a new fence at the same height as the original. Later a knock on the door..." We wanted to build a higher fence". I slammed the door and sent the bill to their contractor.

Douggie

Chop
12-12-2008, 05:06 PM
This is a hillarious thread.

Hey, I needed to vent.:blah:
Thanks for your contributions, I feel better now.

Diegoboy
12-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Good job Chop. the fence looks great. I think you forgot to block out her license plate on the more recent pictures though :doh:

Chop
12-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Oops!

I guess I was feeling better by then.

Bad Chop, BAD!!:tiphat: