PDA

View Full Version : It's Here!

alvinsmith75
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Ordered this boat in October. I line near New Orleans so I say "I can run all winter", when I look outside and say"What is this white stuff falling from the sky and on the ground?". First snow in 4 years and it happens on the day I get my new boat, go figure.
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_00052.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_0008.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_00092.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_00112.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_00122.jpg
Looks great for the most part. Should only need some minor tweaking. My main objective is to quiet down the driveline and to find out why the teflon liner spins with the flex cable.
:rockon2:

Darin Jordan
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Right ON!

Did the big stickers come on the boat, or did you have to apply them??

alvinsmith75
12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
The stickers come attached already. I'll let you know later how difficult they were to remove. ;)

Grimracer
12-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Alvin,

Remove and redo the cable greese.. The greese they use is very sticky.. (not a great choice of words)..

Grim

alvinsmith75
12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Darin the stickers come off SOOOO easy. Just lift the corner with your finger nail then it comes off in one piece.
Thanks Grim, I am already past that point and now I need to know how to install a new stuffing tube:(
The flex cable was not very quiet so I began to disassemble. I found that it was too long so I removed it and shortened it about 1/4 inch. (no problem) I then made myself a gauge for setting the strut depth to 1 and 1/16th inch as Brian said he had done when he ran his. When you push the strut down to 1and a 16th you have some serious down angle. Next I attempted to curve the brass tube to take out some of the negative, and I kinked it. I removed the stuffing tube (which wasn't hard), and I guess now I'm gonna replace the flex, stuffing tube, and strut.
You live and learn.
When I rebuild should the brass tube go into the strut or should I stop it a little short to allow for easier adjustment?
This is my first Hydro so I am sorry if I sound ignorant. I am thankful for the expert advise we have on this forum.
Alvin

Rex R
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
nice to see that some one has theirs...my lhs ordered a white one for me some time back...today they checked and saw late january! so apparently I get to sit around and wait untill feb/march before I get mine.

ice329
12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
I am a fan of clean, I really like how clean the water lines look and run. Hats off Grim.. G/L with the boat

planezero
12-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Rex according to the webshop Steve has 6 yellow 1 white 5 red 3 orange left in stock. I suppose you could have yours quick if you really wanted...

Bet Dutch customs will hold mine for two or three weeks before I receive it :ThumbsDown01:

Alvin what a mess :crying: I'd try to 'unkink' the tubing as best I could in a vice and run it anyway snow or no snow (probably very bad advice) :olleyes: Good Luck

Rex R
12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
could have done like others and ordered from steven or tower...if I wasn't trying to a) encourage the lhs to carry more boat stuff or b) support my lhs (something ac has said they would like to encourage). thing is my lhs gets their ac stuff from tower...and they have yet to get any confirmation of their orders. guess this is the thanks I get for trying to be nice to the lhs...thanks ac/tower.

line6
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Looks nice:rockon2: Can you measure how long the battery tray is from the motor mount up thanks.

planezero
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear that, I buy from Tower as a last resort (stuff Steve doesnt carry).

I'm all for supporting ones LHS, but waiting an extra month or more would be pushing it for me...

Moreover I have little choice here, at my LHS they still charge 400 EUR for an SV27 (somerwhere around $500) which I find slightly ridiculous even considering overseas shipping etc :confused2: Mention a UL-1 and they won't have a clue what Im talking about...
So I basically just get tools and building supplies from them (man...I buy a lot of that stuff :biggrin:)

planezero
12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Looks nice:rockon2: Can you measure how long the battery tray is from the motor mount up thanks.

The Neu XP4900 are 158mm long, seeing that they fit with a little room to spare Id say thats about it :smile:

egneg
12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
I ordered my UL1 from tower and it is scheduled (UPS) to be here tomorrow. But then it goes under the tree - so 2 more weeks at least for me.

planezero
12-11-2008, 08:21 PM
WOW what self control ... you must be a Saint !:rofl:

Grimracer
12-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Darin the stickers come off SOOOO easy. Just lift the corner with your finger nail then it comes off in one piece.
Thanks Grim, I am already past that point and now I need to know how to install a new stuffing tube:(
The flex cable was not very quiet so I began to disassemble. I found that it was too long so I removed it and shortened it about 1/4 inch. (no problem) I then made myself a gauge for setting the strut depth to 1 and 1/16th inch as Brian said he had done when he ran his. When you push the strut down to 1and a 16th you have some serious down angle. Next I attempted to curve the brass tube to take out some of the negative, and I kinked it. I removed the stuffing tube (which wasn't hard), and I guess now I'm gonna replace the flex, stuffing tube, and strut.
You live and learn.
When I rebuild should the brass tube go into the strut or should I stop it a little short to allow for easier adjustment?
This is my first Hydro so I am sorry if I sound ignorant. I am thankful for the expert advise we have on this forum.
Alvin

What???????? to long.. I dont undersand..

Change the strut??? are you going to SAW the boat????

You are yanking the stuffing tube????

O boy....

Grim

alvinsmith75
12-11-2008, 10:00 PM
What???????? to long.. I dont undersand..

Change the strut??? are you going to SAW the boat????

You are yanking the stuffing tube????

O boy....

Grim
--Too long = when pushed in to the motor coupler all the way the space between the strut and the drive dog was over 1/4". I was told that this was too long. Please advise of your recommendation.
--I am changing the strut, stuffing tube, flex cable and teflon liner so I can have easier adjustment of strut setting. This is opposed to having the brass tube run clean thru the strut and having the strut bushing installed inside the brass tube instead of the strut. The flex cable is being changed because of the un-godly amount of solder used at the cut end and also to attach the other end to the prop shaft.
I hope this doesn't sound harsh. I am not knocking the product at all. It is well worth more that the $330.00 price tag. I am simply personalizing it. :buttrock:

Here ya go Darin.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_0008-1.jpg

Grimracer
12-12-2008, 10:21 AM
That’s long but not too long.. When you say over a ¼”.. just how far over are we talking?

Rule of thumb.. (this is not gospel) the distance between the back of the strut and the front of the drive dog should be one dia of the shaft.. in this case that’s .187”

Are you saying you are going to use a strut that the stuffing tube does not slip into? I have to ask.. why take a step back in technology? Why de-stabilize the system? I am very confused by this.. Im my opinion.. sorry I have one.. this is a HUGE MISTAKE.. Please re-consider.

If you set that strut at 1 1/6" and not use a copy of Brians propeller, you are going to stress the equipment BIG TIME.. Your going to pin the sponsons and the boat will need a TON of power to operate… well.. try it… let us know what happens…

Just so you know.. TO DATE.. I have YET to break a flex shaft or ANY drive part of the boat. This after 100s of runs..

Good luck and keep us posted..

Grim

Fluid
12-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I fully agree with Mike. Run the boat as received before trying major modifications. The boat runs very well with the "regular" strut setting. Brian didn't need to tear out the stuffing tube and go to an old-skool strut setup....

It is a huge mistake for most boaters to set up their boat like a racer does - it almost always ends in tragedy. :doh:

Try different props before going 'outside the box' on mods. Most guys will get plenty of speed from prop and CG changes, and minor strut adjustments. Just remember that if you run too large a prop for too long you'll cook something. :sad:

raptor347
12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm with Mike and Jay on this one. The setup I ran in LA was a SAW setup and only usable for a few passes.

Also, the strut setup on the boat is the same style I run on my 100+mph riggers. If there was a better system, I'd be running it.

You definitely want to run the strut shallower for normal conditions. That SAW prop has some very strange characteristics.

I posted the setup just to give people an idea of what could be done. It's a bit over the top.

Bone stock, it's a greeat boat. Start tinkering after you wash the NEW off at the lake:biggrin:

alvinsmith75
12-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Like I said this is my first hydro and I need all the help I can get. Your help is greatly appreciated and from some very respectable sources. Can someone tell me a good starting point for strut setting? I've never seen this strut setup before with the bushing in the tube. It seems pretty hard to adjust. Maybe I should reconsider, I'll only need to purchase a new tube and bushing. Why have I never seen this before? Where do ya'll buy parts from? I don't even see where Offshore electrics offers brass tubes with bushings to fit inside. There are no boat clubs around here so you guys are the only help I have. Thanks for all of the input! I can't wait to get her back together and try her out. Temps are supposed to be in the mid 60's this weekend.
Alvin

alvinsmith75
12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh one more thing. How do I quiet down the driveline? Would it be ok to use a Huey flexcable?

Grimracer
12-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Nothing.. ballance your prop and run the boat. You are NEVER going to get a cable system to be dead quiet. My LSH is close but not quite.

Grim

Raydee
12-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Nevermind that.

Grimracer
12-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Thinking more about this and some of the stuff we dealt with during the development.

One way to quiet a drive line is to S-bend the stuffing tube.(I typically do this on my own boats..) . But knowing everybody would have thought this would have caused binding I opted for what noise this can make.

Perfect running shafts, bushing fits and the like are about all you can do with the current setup to cancel out some of the noise. Having said this, my quietest boat has the loosest fitting stub bushing…lol

Something else to remember.. Without the cable under load it will vibrate from one side of the liner (non Sbend) to the other and do what we call Whip…. Also I have had boats with prefect drive lines vibrate at just a certain RPM and just can not seem to get rid of it.. same boat is my US-1 boat.

So.. good bad or other.. you have more info to think about

Grimracer

Jeff Wohlt
12-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Quiet, smooth, lower weight, less friction...yep, a wire drive.

Steve has plenty of the good ones... :)

Fluid
12-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Mike brings up a good point - you should never run your motor/driveline without the prop in the water, other than to check for proper rotation. It does nothing good and several things bad. I suspect that the noise would not have been a bother had you not run it on the bench. Cable drives are not silent anyway, and the motor itself is not silent. Run 'em both at full throttle on the bench and the noise would probably scare me...:eek:

raptor347
12-12-2008, 07:20 PM
The strut/tube/bushing setup has been common in the nitro/gas world for quite a while. A few of us have been using them in FE for the last couple years. It's a good setup and becoming more common in FE.

As for noise. Cables are loud out of the water. The worst sounding cable I've got is in my P SAW rigger. It sounds terrible if you blip the throttle out of the water. It's just as quiet as the wire drives under load.

Put it together and got run it. I really like the the 42x55 GR prop as a starting point. It's probably the easiest to tune around for a hydro newbie. Put the strut back to stock and go try it.

ice329
12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Grease it, the grease takes a few runs to really get dug in. I dont have one of the boats yet but it sounds like it came nice, now you got something to deal with for bending the tube. Not to change the subject but everyone also said you needed to change out the drive for a better one on the SV, that it vibrated and bla bla bla. Truth is there is absolutly nothing wrong with it stock. I like to put a full legnth teflon liner and let the grease cake up, if its all lined up its smooth as pie. G/L

Fluid
12-12-2008, 09:18 PM
....everyone also said you needed to change out the drive for a better one on the SV, that it vibrated and bla bla bla...

I never heard this about the SV27 drive, but did about the BlackJack26 drive. The stock BJ drive line is so.....1980s. That hokey steerable outdrive has been around - and cussed at - since at least the early 1980s. Noisy, hooking, inefficient, unreliable, it even prompted Aeromarine to bring out a special mod kit to change the drive to what it should have been all along, fixed flex cable and a rudder.

But to ProBoat's defense, if their design demographics were small pond and pool users with no desire to hop up the boat, those who would run the boat two or three times then put it away until the next garage sale - then the cheaper tighter-turning outdrive makes sense. It's us speed demons who cause the trouble......

Steven Vaccaro
12-12-2008, 09:37 PM
I never heard this about the SV27 drive, but did about the BlackJack26 drive. The stock BJ drive line is so.....1980s. That hokey steerable outdrive has been around - and cussed at - since at least the early 1980s. Noisy, hooking, inefficient, unreliable, it even prompted Aeromarine to bring out a special mod kit to change the drive to what it should have been all along, fixed flex cable and a rudder.

But to ProBoat's defense, if their design demographics were small pond and pool users with no desire to hop up the boat, those who would run the boat two or three times then put it away until the next garage sale - then the cheaper tighter-turning outdrive makes sense. It's us speed demons who cause the trouble......

I think "ice329" is referring to the flex cable and stuffing tube.

ice329
12-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Steve, this is actually how I found OSE. On some other chat board it was a big thing about the flex and I asked where to find them and someone gave me your sight, the rest is history. But not to steal grims new boats thread, I will be lurking to grab a UL1 as soon as possabe (-;

alvinsmith75
12-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Could someone that has a UL-1 in their posession please measure the strut depth and let me know so I can return it to that point.
As for returning the boat to the factory parts......well that's not gonna happen because I damaged the strut bushing upon removal. I ordered a new octura coupler, hughey cable, and Fullers strut from Mr. Fuller. I am changing the coupler simply because the factory one is metric and I wanna keep all of my boats uniform.
I firmly believe that I found the vibration and noise problem. The flex cable isn't soldered into the prop shaft in the center. It's kinda like this -------=== I don't know if my camera will capture it but I'll try later.
Thanks for all of the help guys, I'll keep ya'll posted with progress,
Alvin

Jeff Wohlt
12-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Are you saying that the bushing is the stuffing tube? It is all the way thru the strut and the shaft runs inside of the stuffing tube?

Jeff Wohlt
12-12-2008, 11:59 PM
We always left about 1.5" of teflon open in front of the strut and the teflon was the only thing in the strut nose. It was much easier to adjust this way. So if you kinked it at the nose of the strut you can cut the brass off and run the teflon in the nose of the strut. You may have to shim the strut nose with KS tubing CA'd in so the teflon stays in...then useshrink tube at the nose and teflon.

Sounds like the bushing is in the stuffing tube which is nothing more than a reducer brass sleeve.

You can change it easily...the stuffing tube only needs to go in the nose of the strut maybe 3/8" and the the bushing should be in the end of the strut running the shaft.

I take it these have a long prop shaft on them like the SV? Really no need for an extra long shaft when 1" or so of shaft in the strut is all that is needed.

Steven Vaccaro
12-13-2008, 07:17 AM
The setup I ran in LA was a SAW setup and only usable for a few passes.

Brian can you elaborate on this statement?

Grim I haven't taken apart one of the UL-1's yet or opened set of directions, how does someone go about adjusting a strut with the stuffing tube that goes all the way through it?

alvinsmith75
12-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Jeff, the brass tube runs about 1/16th short of the end of the strut and the strut bushing just pushes into the brass tube. Nothing is pressed into the strut. Unfortunately I kinked the brass tube and slightly damaged the strut bushing. Aquacraft (that I can find) doesn't sell just the strut bushing. You have to buy the whole strut mount, strut and bushing for $37.00 if you just need the bushing. That is why I talked to Ray Fuller and am changing everything and setting it up like you mentioned for easier adjustment. Besides that way is the only way I know and on my other boats my drivelines are very quiet and smooth.
Alvin

Fluid
12-13-2008, 10:57 AM
OSE sells the strut bushings, although they may - or may not - need to be shortened slightly to fit the UL-1 strut.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-spdsd-187
Good luck with your project.

Steven, if I may speak for Brian, the 65 mph setup would generate too much heat to run for very long. The motor and ESC tolerated it fine for short durations. This is typical of SAW setups, which can be way over the top compared with oval setups. Since the SAW boat only runs for 2-3 passes lasting ~5 seconds each, there is minimal time for heat buildup. Trying to run a SAW setup for much longer can result in a burned up ESC, motor, or cells. :cursing:

The strut can be adjusted pretty easily by loosening the bolts and moving the strut where you want it. Leave the cable in the brass tube when adjusting. We are talking minor adjustments here. For larger adjustments you will have to use your fingers to locally bend the brass tube as needed. It is not as difficult as it sounds if you are careful. I have been using this system on most of my new boats (wire and cable) for the past three years and it works great. The gas and nitro guys have used it for many years. On my own boats I make the stuffing tube completely removable so that even major bends in the tube can be made, but I almost never have to do that.

AquaCraft used a state-of-the-art hardware setup proven by hundreds of R/C boaters - why go back to old skool?

Jeff Wohlt
12-13-2008, 11:10 AM
My shop just ordered one so I will see soon.

My fix....get the brass stuffing tube out of the strut....cut it off 1.5" ahead of the strut and then use a longer piece of teflon and put that in the nose, shrink it with shrink tubing to seal it then use a bushing like the SV to run the shaft in. Then you can easily adjust the strut with out binding the flex shaft any.

Brian's run really has nothing to do with an oval set up for this hull. 30 seconds of pushing this motor/ESC should not be what people strive for or you WILL cook things.

Brians knowledge far exceeds most of ours for setting up hydros...well and I am sure his prop was done by some some guy that has dead chickens hanging around with chantting going on (that's a joke)

Someone tell me if the Stuffing tube OD is .250, please. Also, how long is the shaft from the drive dog to the cable?

I see why Grim had it designed this way and for factory assemly this is probably the easiest for them to do...no problems with that but easy adjustment is the key on a hydro....different water conditions dictate set up. Light in the front is not always good when racing rough water conditions.

So far I am very impressed with the clean layout and how this hull performs from the videos I have seen. The rudder does look to run very deep. I have a tendency to whack rudders off if they are more than 2" under the water when running.

So hats off to Grim for putting the time and knowledge in getting a decent boat made.

The UL has always been a great looking boat...I had plenty of Andy's UL 1s and even layed FG versions that far exceeds the running of the ABS version.

Now someone crack some friggin ice and go run one of these and gives us a report!!

alvinsmith75
12-13-2008, 11:50 AM
I should have her in the water no later than tomorrow and I'll try to get some video. I need to run my new DF29 as well. Awesome two brand new boats to test this weekend!!!!!

Grimracer
12-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Could someone that has a UL-1 in their posession please measure the strut depth and let me know so I can return it to that point.
As for returning the boat to the factory parts......well that's not gonna happen because I damaged the strut bushing upon removal. I ordered a new octura coupler, hughey cable, and Fullers strut from Mr. Fuller. I am changing the coupler simply because the factory one is metric and I wanna keep all of my boats uniform.
I firmly believe that I found the vibration and noise problem. The flex cable isn't soldered into the prop shaft in the center. It's kinda like this -------=== I don't know if my camera will capture it but I'll try later.
Thanks for all of the help guys, I'll keep ya'll posted with progress,
Alvin

...hum...?

.150 Cable
.187 Stub

Grim

Grimracer
12-13-2008, 12:08 PM
"I see why Grim had it designed this way and for factory assemly this is probably the easiest for them to do...no problems with that but easy adjustment is the key on a hydro....different water conditions dictate set up. Light in the front is not always good when racing rough water conditions. "

So wrong so wrong...

O man the FE guys are years behind the nitro guys in hardware setups.. (im going to get BASTED for that one...lol)

O well....

Grim

alvinsmith75
12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
...hum...?

.150 Cable
.187 Stub

Grim

If you are referring to what I said is metric I am talking about the wrenches needed to tighten the moter coupler 10 and 12mm.
Thank You,
Alvin

Darin Jordan
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Guys... WHY in the heck are you thinking you are going to need to be adjusting these struts to the extremes that you are talking about here??

How often do you actually ADJUST the strut once you get the setup right? (I almost NEVER have to once it's set... and then they are MINOR adjustments... If ou are spending all your tuning adjusting the strut, then you are focusing on the wrong part of the system! ) ...

WHY would Mike and AQ design a system that can't be adjusted within the necessary range to get the boat right??? (THEY WOULDN'T!! )

Dang... RELAX until you actually RUN one of the boats... You are worrying about crap that you haven't even TRIED yet! :olleyes:

alvinsmith75
12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't like the factory system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am changing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that a problem with anyone??????
Does everyone buy a new vehicle and not customise it at all??..a new stereo, a bug guard, maybe some new rims?
Sorry I accidently kinked the stuffing tube and asked for help. Thanks for the guys that actually did help!

Jeff Wohlt
12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Sorry... guess I do not understand a reason to run a stuffing tube thru the strut and then bush it down for the prop shaft unless it was an assembly issue.

The brass will wear out and get sloppy over time. Is there no way to service this area besides replacing a stuffing tube if something happens...or replace a strut?

My idea is just to allow the strut to be easily adjusted and also able to remove and replace the bearing. No biggie....easy mod. Will hold grease much better and be easier to adjust the strut.

Certainly I am not knocking the design...just an opinion and that has been the way we have seen done for years. It works.

Jeff Wohlt
12-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Darin...he tinkered with his and brings up good points.

Alvin, I would be glad to get you what you need. Use the stock strut and I can get you fixed up with a hot set up you will like.

Grimracer
12-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Alvin.. really.. you can do anything you like.. your going to do what you want anyway.. No skin off my back.. Please enjoy the boat!

BUT.. this is the same drive system I have won MULTIPLE national and district championships with AS WELL as MANY MANY other people using the same system.

Its proven
It works
Its tough
I dare you to ware it out
Its adjustable with in the limits of the hull.

Customize is one thing but would you yank the 6pack off your road runner and place a 2 barrel on it...? its just not forward progress thats all.. Im not tying to sound mean.. Sorry if I am.

Lets get Alvin rocking and get back to the boat at hand.

Somebody asked.. The stuffing tube is ¼”
Jeff Dude.. you replace the replaceable bushing...and or liner IF it wares out.

Grimracer

alvinsmith75
12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
"Also, how long is the shaft from the drive dog to the cable"
Jeff the shaft is 1.5 in. and add .75 in. to that for stiff soldered cable for a total of 2.25in.
Thanks,
Alvin

alvinsmith75
12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the support guys. The boat is awesome I just made a mistake adjusting it when I got started and am repairing it the only way I know how:)
Alvin

Raydee
12-13-2008, 01:37 PM
The stock drive system sounds like a replica of the Speedmaster system where the stuffing tube runs straight through the strut and then there is a brass bushing that the stub runs through. Am I right?? If that is the case that system works real well, I run that on all my hulls except my DF 33" mono that has a Stinger drive.

Grimracer
12-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Alvin

Total Shaft Lenght 13.5"
1 7/16" from the taper of the dog to the solder joint.

More important is.. Give yourself about 7/8" to one inch from the drive dog to the end of the stub for just about prop hub lenght.

Grim

Grimracer
12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Raydee.. yes.. and as it goes I do this on my stinger struts too.

Grim

Raydee
12-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Mike, now that I think about it my Speedmaster Stinger uses the same setup ;)

Jeff Wohlt
12-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Okay, well it sounds like the bushing is replaceable...I do not say it is a bad system...basically a doube tube with a smaller brass insert to fit the shaft. Nothing wrong with that.

All I am offering is an easier set up that is still used today when you want an easy adjustable strut. Most of us run straight brass in some boats anyway but I still run the brass only so far in the nose.

I realize that you can move the strut a bit but when you do you will need to be careful because you will stress the hull bottom at the tube/hull if you do not actually bend it so there is no pressure on the seal there. You also put angle up at the coupler and flex inducing more resistance if you do not bend the stuffing tube.

Alvin, As far as the flex shaft being wobbly....you may want to re-set it if it is soldered. Heat it (torch) and break it apart and then try to get it straight. Shouod not even need more solder. It may be loctited...I do not know.

Here is what I am talking about on the teflon

http://www.geocities.com/jwohlt5362/Rear_angle.jpg

This one has a little too much open teflon but I never had any issues with it running a plett/12 cells and 642 props

And don't give me any sh-t about it being pink...it is red but came out pink when I shot it on the camera. :crying:

Steven Vaccaro
12-13-2008, 04:54 PM
WHY would Mike and AQ design a system that can't be adjusted within the necessary range to get the boat right??? (THEY WOULDN'T!! )

:olleyes: Darin don't take this as a bash to you or Grim, but arnt you the guy who posted the areas to fix on the SuperVee? Wasn't one of those areas the adjustable strut that cant be adjusted very much?

Grim I know its been mentioned before, but I have to say it again. Thanks for bringing boats like these to the market. Its totally changed the way we fe boaters think about rtr boats. Keep up the good work. Oh and if your looking for an idea for the next boat, I'm begging for a 28-29" cat!!!!

Darin Jordan
12-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Darin don't take this as a bash to you or Grim, but arnt you the guy who posted the areas to fix on the SuperVee? Wasn't one of those areas the adjustable strut that cant be adjusted very much?

EXACTLY... I AM the guy that did that... but ask yourself this... WAS it a "FIX"???

Do you know how many strut adjustements I've done on my SV27 since that time??? NONE! Haven't touched it, and I've won a TON of races with it...

I didn't know then as much as I think I know now, and now I realize that there wasn't any need to change that configuration. It works fine.

I'm not saying NOT to change it... If you want to, by all means... but it's NOT necessary... Again, if you need THAT much adjustment, I think you're working on the wrong part of the boat... This isn't where the big gains are going to be... and the fine tuning wouldn't require much movement at all...

Steven Vaccaro
12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
[quote=Darin Jordan;66207]EXACTLY... I AM the guy that did that... but ask yourself this... WAS it a "FIX"???

Do you know how many strut adjustements I've done on my SV27 since that time??? NONE! Haven't touched it, and I've won a TON of races with it...

I didn't know then as much as I think I know now, and now I realize that there wasn't any need to change that configuration. It works fine.
quote]

Since there is no need for the adjustments in your strut and driveshaft in your SV you are more than welcome to send the modified ones back to me for an exchange if you would like to go back to bone stock.:smile: I for one will stick with my changes in my sv's. Now this is not any beef with the SV, its just the way I prefer it. Different strokes for different folks!

Grimracer
12-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Steven.

Thanks for the good words, We are working hard to bring you guys the FASTEST and best designed RC boats money can buy..

I declare form this day forward.. the UL-1 is not just an RTR.. but a full blown Full Competition Model ..

So.. join with me.. the UL-1 is a Full Competition Model .. RTR is just that.. nothing more.. it’s what the Other Guys Sell….. with your support we can do MUCH BETTER.

..Full Competition Model
..Full Competition Model
..Full Competition Model

Grimracer

... CAT... hum.............MEEEEOW.....

Doug Smock
12-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Man, it's a good thing Alvin isn't thin skinned.:olleyes:

Darin Jordan
12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
OK... Back on the subject at hand... Apparently, Alvin wants to know how to set the strut to get it close...

Here's how I'd do it... Not knowing what the designed AoA is for the sponsons, I'll assume, knowing Mike and that this is a race boat, that it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 degrees...

I'd remove the rudder and turn fin so that the boat will sit on a flat surface. I'd then set the boat on the flat surface, and adjust the strut so that the hull was "level"... Then I'd measure the AoA and adjust the strut as required until I achieved the correct angle on the sponsons, and hence, the correct ride attitude. I'd then leave the strut neutral (no upward or downward angle) until I had a chance to run it... You'll adjust this depending on how much lift you have in your prop... Strut depth may have to be altered slightly as well, but generally, this will put you right in the ballpark.

There IS no magic dimension to get it "right"... it's all going to depend on the prop you use, how it's been modified or not, how much weight you have in your cells... how dense the water is in your area... how rough the water is.... etc...

But... this will get you really close...

Have fun!

alvinsmith75
12-13-2008, 09:19 PM
OK guys great news. I got her back together. Operation UL-1 Inferior (LOL) is complete. I will get her in the water tomorrow with air temps in the 70's.
I have a few questions.
-Can I charge my batteries and then warm them?
-Warm to what temp? I am using a heating blanket.
This one is for Grim.
-When I plug in the batteries, after turning the transmitter on, I am supposed to hear 1 beep, full throttle one beep, then neutral 3 beeps and ready to go. That is what happend the very first time I pluged in. Now I plug in and have continous low tone beeps. If I go full reverse I get 1 beep, then full forward one beep and finally neutral 3 beeps and ready to go. Is this ok or what should I do?

Oh by the way.............I do have GPS!
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_0001.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_0002-1.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_0003-1.jpg
Can't wait it's gonna be fun.
And for those interested I have to test this new boat as well......
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_0004-1.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo229/alvinsmith75/DSC_0010.jpg

Grimracer
12-14-2008, 01:16 AM
yea.. sounds like the trim is off..

Grim

Fluid
12-14-2008, 08:24 AM
-Can I charge my batteries and then warm them?
-Warm to what temp? I am using a heating blanket.

First off Alvin, if it sounded like I was bashing you in my earlier posts, accept my apology. That was not my intent, I was just worried that the very first thread on this new boat was going to dissolve into a mess. Of course it's your boat and you should do whatever you want. :thumbup1:

IME heating LiPos to around 100F before running them does two things: 1) they are stronger from the start of the run; 2) they often reach lower temperatures after the run than if they are not heated. I heated the LiPos in my SAW boats to 120F before a run. Heating is your friend.

alvinsmith75
12-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Grim, the factory sends the radio with the throttle set to reverse. Just checking to make sure thats ok too.
Thanks, Alvin

alvinsmith75
12-14-2008, 10:45 AM
We've been discussing the boat and I wanted to let everyone know that this boat comes with the coolest RTR radio I have ever seen! It is super light as it only requires 4 AA batteries. I'll bet you won't see many of these removed from the boat. Again great job Grim and Aquacraft!
Alvin

alvinsmith75
12-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Finally!!!!!!!!!!! It is awesome to say the least. Sorry no video, I couldn't find anyone to hold the camera. I also did something stupid. I put in the GPS and didn't start it. I ran a few laps and brought the boat in to give it a little negative strut angle and Perfect. The water was pretty rough and the boat handled it flawlessly. Thanks everyone for the help and I promise I'll get some video soon!
Alvin

alvinsmith75
12-15-2008, 12:32 PM
"Operation UL-1 Inferior (LOL) is complete. I will get her in the water tomorrow with air temps in the 70's."
In case anyone took this the wrong way I was referring to my strut transplant, not the boat itself. The boat is awesome and If I had to do it over I centainly would have run it first and then probably not changer ANYTHING.
Thanks Aquacraft,
Alvin
and Fluid, apology accepted

Doug Smock
12-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Sweet!!!! Congrats!!
How did you make out with your mono??

Doug

alvinsmith75
12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Not good Doug. It ran like what I would imagine a snow plow to look like. I guess I need to raise the trim tabs all the way and start from there. My balance point is 28.8%.