PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk PC RC Flight Sims

Darin Jordan
12-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Part of my Winter fun is playing with my new RealFlight G3.5 RC Flight sim. I figured I wasn't the only one, so let's talk!

I just received this recently, thanks to a buddy who was able to get me a deal, and I'm LOVING IT!

I could sort-of fly already... Not very good at landings, which is why I've only built TD powered 1/2A sized planes with no landing gear, setup to do belly landings in the grass... (ACE Wizard and ACE Pacer with HOT TD .051)... To chicken to spend much more at the time...

Anyhow, This sim is a real treat to work with. I downloaded several new flying fields from the "Kutting Edge" website last night, including one from Monroe, WA, where I grew up, and another from Cherry Creek State Park in Colorado, a field that I visited this summer...

I also downloaded several new planes, including the F-35 STOVL, which REALLY does ST and VL... VERY cool indeed...

Seems like a nice tool to learn how to fly, or at least get used to the controls.

Darin Jordan
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Here is a picture of the F-35:

http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads/screenshot1218835330_YcT.jpg

Here is the link to the download: http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=7210

Steven Vaccaro
12-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Doug R sent my kids a 2.0 version. They are hooked on flying, I just don't have the time for another hobby. I "may" get them a small helli for xmas. I was looking to get the newest version but it isnt cheap. There are other companies out there, but not sure on the quality of them.

Darin Jordan
12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I was looking to get the newest version but it isnt cheap. There are other companies out there, but not sure on the quality of them.

Andy tells me that this one is really good as well:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HANS2000

I tried it out at the local hobby shop and it seemed to be great...

Jimmy Sterling
12-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey Darin,

I am very interested in purchasing a Flight sim (get em a little cheaper through work) but my com does not have a graphics card to comply with the programs minimum requirements.

What graphic card do you currently have installed in your com to run G 3.5

Thanks
Jimmy :tiphat:

AndyKunz
12-10-2008, 05:21 PM
What I like about the FS-1 is NO WIRES to my transmitter. I can fly from across the room using my Spektrum radio. That's slick!

Andy

Darin Jordan
12-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey Darin,

I am very interested in purchasing a Flight sim (get em a little cheaper through work) but my com does not have a graphics card to comply with the programs minimum requirements.

What graphic card do you currently have installed in your com to run G 3.5

Thanks
Jimmy :tiphat:

I currently have an NVidia GForce 3 ti 200, 128MB... It works well, but some of the features automatically turned themselves off when installing the game... I haven't messed with them, as the performance is fine the way it is... However, I'm using "Photo Scenery" mode instead of Graphics at this time... Like I said, it's fine by me... Seems to work well...

I think the new version of RealFlight, G4.5, has the wireless TX option as well... I'm fine with the one I have for now, however...

Diegoboy
12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I run a BFG Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 256M It was a very good card with a lifetime warranty. It finally gave up last weekend. BFG is sending me a replacement for free. Since my card isn't made anymore, I get the next model up!They are a great company that stand behind their products.

Sorry, just thought you'd like to know.

Darin Jordan
12-10-2008, 10:13 PM
For some reason, I'm finding that the F-35B I showed above keeps breaking off it's horizontal stabilizers when I pull it into even a lightly banking turn... Something ODD is going on... I'd better go try it again! ;)

JimClark
12-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Darin I think you need to actually get it off the landing pad before you trun. Remember this is a plane and not a Hydro:doh::thumbup:
Where are you going to fly when you get profecient?
Jim

For some reason, I'm finding that the F-35B I showed above keeps breaking off it's horizontal stabilizers when I pull it into even a lightly banking turn... Something ODD is going on... I'd better go try it again! ;)

AndyKunz
12-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Boeing Field!

Andy

Spot Me 2
12-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I use FS one by hanger 9 and love it. You can't beat the price of$89.99 with the 6 channel controler. Free add ons are nice too. I think it competes right with Realflight as far as flying and graphics. Realflight just offers more planes.