PDA

View Full Version : Mean Machine start

Eodman
12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Got a MM off Aeromarine at $60.00!

Well I went out to the garage and got my 1st Mean Machine that I bought about a year or so ago ..... what a difference in weight compared to the new one! The new one is extremely light & woven fiberglass was used in the lay up while the older one it appears that strands of fiber glass were used in the lay up!

The older one is much more rigid, another thing I noticed ... the hatch on the old one will not fit the newer version! The new hatch will fit the older one but is extremely loose!
I guess the material used makes a difference the older hatch is just a little wider!

Now my dilemma is should I change the running gear on the twin outboard to the newer one because it is so much lighter? I'm sure it would run faster and be easier on ESC's????

Questions Questions what to do?????

Eodman
12-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Well I think I'm going to bite the bullet and strip the old Cat out and move the outboards to the newer hull! I think the heavier hull will handle better in race water than this light one!

I'll set the older hull up with the 9xl, etti esc, Speedmaster rudder & strut ... just have to get a better servo! The servos that I have are all plastic gears so I want to upgrade to ball bearing and metal gears for this Cat!

The twin outboard I'm using Spektrum servo's(z590's) and they worked fine! I was running a traxxas EVX ESC but smoked it this summer so I'm going to go back to the drawing board on ESC's for this one! Anyone want to chime in on suggestions for this I'm running 19t Epic motors now! Stilll have plastic props although not the stock ones a little larger but can't remember which one! Darin recommended the props I'll have to look in the box!

sewerpit
12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
how about some pics started my mm build too gutted everything going with an 8xl hydr 120 and aeromarine hardware. i have some pics on mean machine cheap thread. where are you from in jersey, im up in the saddlebrook area, we have a couple of nice spots to boat around here.

Eodman
12-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Sayreville will post some pics soon!

sewerpit
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
thats only 30 minutes away not so bad

tylerm
12-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I was running a traxxas EVX ESC but smoked it this summer so I'm going to go back to the drawing board on ESC's for this one! Anyone want to chime in on suggestions for this I'm running 19t Epic motors now!

Astroflight 207d, if you want a good source tell me and i'll give you a PM.
You'll never blow one, i've accidently mis wired mine, had it submerged in salt water etc there absolutely bulletproof.

Tyler.

Steven Vaccaro
12-09-2008, 06:47 AM
FYI. The nitro version is layed up in Asia. Its a different boat. The tunnel area is very, very thin. Its also painted and not gelcoat. Still a very good deal and hard to pass up.