PDA

View Full Version : Recovery boat.. What does everyone use

jake414
03-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Getting my revolt 30 here soon hopefully..
For the time being I'm going to use a fishing pole with a tennis ball, but eventually want a CHEAP recovery boat.

So this has brought me to the used cheap boat market and ebay.

this boat will ONLY be used as a recovery boat, doesn't have to be fast or anything. Looking for 2.4ghz (obviously) and atleast 5 minutes of run time.

this def isn't hobby grade : https://www.ebay.com/itm/PX-16-1-16-32-2-4G-RC-Speed-Boat-Storm-Engine-Radio-Remote-Control-Electric-Toy/132481064021?epid=902315781&hash=item1ed87c9c55:g:2B0AAOSwGHJaZ~aY
BUT it has a lipo battery and seems to be maybe a deans plug. and its fairly big?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Feilun-FT009-RC-Racing-Boat-2-4G-30km-h-High-Speed-With-Water-Cooling/192110320590?epid=12009789629&hash=item2cbaaadbce:g:YVgAAOSwWxNYq7ng
this also has a lipo.

My thinking is, these small lipos can be had very cheap so it would be easy to get more run time..

Thoughts?

Fluid
03-15-2018, 05:12 PM
Before you go too cheap remember that a recovery boat needs to be dependable. It needs to have enough power to push/pull a boat against wind and/or current at a decent speed (or it may run out of battery). It needs to be very maneuverable to be able to “attach” itself to the dead boat.

Another requirement is range. Most cheap boats have short ranges, the boat referenced says it’s range is 100 meters, but who really knows? You may end up with two dead boats. Plus it apparently has no throttle, just forward and stop. You may be better off buying a used, better quality boat. Just some things to consider.

https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Engine-PX-16-Super-Racing/product-reviews/B0153R9IY8

rol243
03-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Yes Fluid is exactly correct there. i made up a aero prop design rescue boat and it was both under powered and was also very hard to turn tight. you need good power and good maneuverability for a successfull rescue boat. plus don,t run out of radio range.

CraigP
03-15-2018, 05:51 PM
I think the most effective rescue boats have dual props with steering mixing. You’ll want to turn on a dime, it’s not easy getting on the dead boat. Wind and eye sight make it a bit of a challenge.

CraigP
03-15-2018, 05:54 PM
I use this setup...

JestDanny
03-15-2018, 06:08 PM
I have a canoe, 12volt battery, an a trolling motor. I go for a boat ride. Sometimes I catch a fish or two along the way, two hobbies same pond twice the fun.

trigger
03-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Where in Indy are you?

jake414
03-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Where in Indy are you?Noblesville fishers area

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jake414
03-15-2018, 06:33 PM
I use this setup...What is that

trigger
03-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Our Indy admirals fast electric season starts soon (April). Come check out a race, lots of fun running with other people. We run at 465 and Binford blvd area.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/forumdisplay.php?172-Indiana-The-Indianapolis-Admirals-RC-Boat-club

CraigP
03-15-2018, 06:55 PM
What is that

It’s an Hydro-Net, a leave catcher for a swimming pool. I upgraded it to a longer range radio and a dual mixer ESC for the DC motors in the dual outboards. Also put a LiPo 3S battery in it, it had a NiCad originally. It works good! It nest the stranded boat quite well..

MADRCER
03-15-2018, 07:09 PM
An AquaCraft Atlantic II tug works good for me. Even if you loose the recovery float in an attempted rescue it can still push the boats in with the Bow that is wrapped in semi sticky rubber. See it in action below. For my bigger boats the AquaCraft Fire Rescue boat is my choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm2RsDaTzRE

jake414
03-15-2018, 08:22 PM
It’s an Aqua Net, a leave catcher for a swimming pool. I upgraded it to a longer range radio and a dual mixer ESC for the DC motors in the dual outboards. Also put a LiPo 3S battery in it, it had a NiCad originally. It works good! It nest the stranded boat quite well..Bet it does!

jake414
03-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Ok those are valid points. I need to find a 20"+ boat and make a pvc floating deal to hold the boat and push it.

dmitry100
03-15-2018, 09:31 PM

Zippkits tug boat is pretty nice, super cheap and easy to put together. Took me 1-2 days to put mine together. It was like $50

Thinking maybe to put a sort of an extendable "trolling" rod on the back - like a sturdy antenna of some kind with a dull treble hook/line

I was considering the fire glass tugboats from hydromarine.de or Mhz powerboats before but they were easily $300-400 after Euro to US dollar conversion and shipping.

Unless you go route of overkill --

golfito
03-15-2018, 10:30 PM
Also doing some tests and using parts that I was finding recovering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nprQpC4m-NQ&feature=youtu.be

CraigP
03-16-2018, 11:01 AM
Golfito, that’s a nice configuration. But it doesn’t need speed... The prop should be deep, not even close to surface riding. I would put two motors in it, for dual counter rotating props. Then use a very low pitch set of props, to deliver good pushing power. The motors can be 560 brushed type for a cheaper build. There are dual motor tank or bot ESC’s that have the mixing built into them, so you can turn the boat 360 degrees on its center axis. But if they ever make a rescue boat race class, I think you’ll have them all smoked!

Bp9145
03-16-2018, 11:23 AM
I've had floating U tube for my rescue boat and it works fine until I tried just connecting a fishing line for fly fishing. It floats so you can see it and at the other end are some bobbers with barbless treble hooks and this works faster and more efficient for me. I just run the boat with the fly line quickly to the stranded boat and circle around it a few times and bring it in. With some good motors on the rescue boat you can get there quite fast and it brings it in pretty quick. I like the idea that I can get to the stranded boat fast just in case it was caused by a crash or a severe crash where water is getting in through cracks or a loose canopy. Then I can get it back to shore quickly. Also it's not so cumbersome as with the rescue boat with the U foam configuration . .I call it the goal since it's shaped like the football goal posts. But whatever you choose it's always good to have a rescue boat of some kind.

Navherc130
03-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Vac-U-Tug with a length of floating fly line and a few floats. It can pull my GP400 against the wind. SLOWLY..but it can do it.

dmitry100
03-16-2018, 03:56 PM
my tug is running a 2pole 1700kv castle motor on 3 cells using a 30mm 3blade prop - can this generate too much heat from the partial load, or should it be fine? currently it has a seaking 180 on it but from my experience a bit of partial load can easily burn it to a crisp. i'm putting a water pump into it for extra safety. Kind of want a bulletproof dependable setup here... nothing worse than having 2 boats that need rescuing

rol243
03-16-2018, 05:58 PM
you might want to use a cheaper and lower amp esc than the 180 for your set up.

Tbauer
03-16-2018, 10:51 PM
https://youtu.be/m8ZUc-x5zW4

Sorry for the long video, but it's as real time as it gets....... Love my recovery vessel

urbs00007
03-17-2018, 10:48 AM
https://youtu.be/m8ZUc-x5zW4

Sorry for the long video, but it's as real time as it gets....... Love my recovery vessel

thats fine for when the boat is right in front of you. what happens when it's 150 yards away?

emspjay
03-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Vintage Latrax Cigarette hull from the late 70s early 80's with first gen Pro Boat Shockwave 26 brushed 540 running gear. I made a cradle out of 3/4 inch PVC and pipe insulation that this pushes to sweep up the other boat. The boat was given to me from a friend on a R/C car forum but all the electronics were fried, I figured I should use it some how. It works good because the plastic is pretty heavy and it has a wide beam. And the new steerable out-drive makes it maneuverable.

Moonie
03-17-2018, 06:36 PM
I use a Dumas air boat.

785boats
03-18-2018, 01:35 AM
Vac-U-Tug with a length of floating fly line and a few floats. It can pull my GP400 against the wind. SLOWLY..but it can do it.

Guys.
To make things really easy on the rescue boat's motor,ESC,& battery, have it tow the line out & around the stricken boat, with the line attached to a fishing rod & reel. Put the transmitter for the rescue boat down in a safe place, & reel both boats in with the fishing rod.
And there you have it. "The catch of the day".

Tbauer
03-18-2018, 02:28 AM
thats fine for when the boat is right in front of you. what happens when it's 150 yards away?

I have a 5.8 video transmitter, works bitchin

MadProps
03-18-2018, 12:01 PM

nice.....

Im building an FPV recovery barge, I have river currents, tides and big vegetation along the sides of the river at my house so the dead race boat could actually be out of site and you might not be able to get behind it to retrieve the broken boat if it gets in the vegetation, so I am engineering a crane and grappling hook with a forward and reverse 30lb rock crawler winch ...my fpv cam is a mini cam with built in video transmitter running on a tiny 4v battery all tucked inside a tiny Polaroid cube camera waterproof housing and I have a set of Fat Shark goggles to use from my racing drone.
Now living on the columbia river I have boats and kayaks to retrieve the dead RC boats but this is more fun than paddling out to a dead sinking boat while cursing, I also have running lights, yellow flashing lights the camera will be mounted on a servo so it can turn to any angle. The only thing I havent come to terms with is powering it, I do have a couple spare outboards I may use.

Bp9145
03-18-2018, 01:58 PM
nice.....

Im building an FPV recovery barge, I have river currents, tides and big vegetation along the sides of the river at my house so the dead race boat could actually be out of site and you might not be able to get behind it to retrieve the broken boat if it gets in the vegetation, so I am engineering a crane and grappling hook with a forward and reverse 30lb rock crawler winch ...my fpv cam is a mini cam with built in video transmitter running on a tiny 4v battery all tucked inside a tiny Polaroid cube camera waterproof housing and I have a set of Fat Shark goggles to use from my racing drone.
Now living on the columbia river I have boats and kayaks to retrieve the dead RC boats but this is more fun than paddling out to a dead sinking boat while cursing, I also have running lights, yellow flashing lights the camera will be mounted on a servo so it can turn to any angle. The only thing I havent come to terms with is powering it, I do have a couple spare outboards I may use.

Very interesting. . .would like to see this to completion and see it tested.

dmitry100
03-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Madprops, what are the currents like on your river? I've never touched a river before mostly thinking the currents would either make it much harder to drive on or make it much much harder for recovery especially for a heavier cat

MadProps
03-18-2018, 04:06 PM
average 5-7 mph, large rivers are really no problem, but I have to wait for slack tide to get a real accurate GPS reading on saw runs and because I play in the huge Columbia river its debris that's the issue. I hit a submerged tree limb 2 days ago that sent my Pursuit airborne at 60mph, I will loose my boats to debris at some point and I accept that its the cost of driving from my front lawn.

although I run my FE speed boats mostly from my own property, I tell you whats some of the most fun we have had in RC racing was we all bought the same cheapo river jet boats and race up the riffles & rapids trying to avoid rocks in creeks

Old School
03-18-2018, 04:31 PM
My son built a Zipp kits tugboat and it works fine. It uses a brushed car ESC and a cheap stick transmitter. Originally it had a 540 motor powered by two 6 volt 4 amp gel cells, however, the four-bladed prop was too large and when placed in the water the load caused the wiring to disintegrate. Tried it on both 6 and 12 volts with no luck.

I had an old Dumas 6 volt motor and using that with the 4 amp gel cells in parallel, the boat performs perfectly. The rudder is a two piece affair with basically articulation giving a trim tab effect. The trailing edge portion of the rudder swings through a greater arc than the forward portion of the rudder allowing the boat to basically pivot on the rudder post. The rescue boat has earned its money several times.

Tbauer
03-18-2018, 06:58 PM
That looks sweet I have all the navigation lights and spotlights as well cuz I like to boat right at nightfall. I would recommend the outboards based on my personal experience they offer the most maneuverability and they're a lot easier to mount it different places on the recovery vessel

Tbauer
03-18-2018, 07:01 PM
I forgot to mention you can't see it on the video cuz it's in the water but don't forget to add something underneath like netting to recover your boat. As it fills with water it starts to sink- or if it's upside down a lot of times you will drive up and over the boat- so by adding netting to the bottom if that happens The netting will stop it from going underneath or sinking. Just another trick I learned through trial and error

MadProps
03-18-2018, 07:15 PM
I forgot to mention you can't see it on the video cuz it's in the water but don't forget to add something underneath like netting to recover your boat. As it fills with water it starts to sink- or if it's upside down a lot of times you will drive up and over the boat- so by adding netting to the bottom if that happens The netting will stop it from going underneath or sinking. Just another trick I learned through trial and error
great tip I had not considered that just thinking the grapple hook to hold it up will in motion but that netting sounds like its a plan

Tbauer
03-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Yes sir hopefully it will save you a scuba diving trip like I had to before I learned my lesson LOL

Tbauer
03-18-2018, 07:29 PM
https://youtu.be/opcVQP3Gqeg

jake414
03-18-2018, 10:37 PM

Zippkits tug boat is pretty nice, super cheap and easy to put together. Took me 1-2 days to put mine together. It was like $50

Thinking maybe to put a sort of an extendable "trolling" rod on the back - like a sturdy antenna of some kind with a dull treble hook/line

I was considering the fire glass tugboats from hydromarine.de or Mhz powerboats before but they were easily $300-400 after Euro to US dollar conversion and shipping.

Unless you go route of overkill --
157696157697What tugboat from zip is that?

Old School
03-18-2018, 10:57 PM
This is the Zipp kits tugboat my son built last year. It runs very well. From memory the base kit was $29.00.

This is the boat from Hobbyking, but alas out of stock -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippkits-tugster-tug-boat-kit-455mm.html

This is the add-on kit (out ofr stock also) -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippkits-tugster-tug-boat-running-hardware-kit.html

Old School
03-18-2018, 11:10 PM
Designed for rc aircraft/drone recovery however, could be used on a boat that sinks. 100 feet of attached line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDHHLnAdxsc

jake414
03-19-2018, 08:24 AM
This is the Zipp kits tugboat my son built last year. It runs very well. From memory the base kit was $29.00.

This is the boat from Hobbyking, but alas out of stock -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippkits-tugster-tug-boat-kit-455mm.html

This is the add-on kit (out ofr stock also) -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippkits-tugster-tug-boat-running-hardware-kit.htmlOn zip kits website its all in stock.

Has anyone used the twinster with 2 motors?

DBJr
03-19-2018, 04:36 PM
I bought a kayak at Walmart for $148 for this purpose.

Before that, I use to swim, I know it's definitely NOT recommended and I admit it's not the smartest thing I've ever done. If I get flamed for admitting it, I'm cool with that. My last swim was in 60*F water. Talk about COLD and my legs got tired quickly. After that, I knew I needed a much better alternative.

Do NOT swim after a boat, it's not worth it.

jake414
03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
I bought a kayak at Walmart for $148 for this purpose.

Before that, I use to swim, I know it's definitely NOT recommended and I admit it's not the smartest thing I've ever done. If I get flamed for admitting it, I'm cool with that. My last swim was in 60*F water. Talk about COLD and my legs got tired quickly. After that, I knew I needed a much better alternative.

Do NOT swim after a boat, it's not worth it.Getting a blow up raft would be cheap but im thinking most of the ponds around me dont allow them.

jake414
03-19-2018, 04:51 PM
Those that have inflatable boats etc, do you use them everywhere. A little 2 person inflatable deal is way cheaper. But the places around me im not sure if they would be allowed?

DBJr
03-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Getting a blow up raft would be cheap but im thinking most of the ponds around me dont allow them.

I thought about that but I would be afraid of a sharp boat part puncturing it. I've heard inflatable rafts, boats, etc aren't really recommended either. That and no stores around here had one.

jake414
03-19-2018, 04:57 PM
I thought about that but I would be afraid of a sharp boat part puncturing it. I've heard inflatable rafts, boats, etc aren't really recommended either. That and no stores around here had one.
Honestly i could just tie the boat off to the back of the raft.
What kind of ponds do you run in? You would swim in neighborhood ponds?

DBJr
03-19-2018, 05:01 PM
What kind of ponds do you run in? You would swim in neighborhood ponds?

It's a pond in my apartment complex and the only reason I did it because I know for a fact there are no alligators in it but I no longer plan on doing that. That was also before I've read stories about people who perished swimming after boats.

dmitry100
03-19-2018, 05:38 PM
you can easily flip a kayak/canoe or fall in the water trying to get into one - using a proper rescue boat is soo much less hassle and faster.

jake414
03-19-2018, 08:03 PM
I think im just going to get a used boat that runs on a 540 or 550 can size. I should be able to for under 100.
Looking at the traxxas blasts.

If it gets more expensive ill build one of the wooden tugs. Priced it out at about 120 for all electronics except a battery.

Newboater
03-20-2018, 09:20 AM
Look for a used Aquacraft Tug on ebay or craigslist. I use one with a lathe 540 motor and 4000mah 2s lipo. Runs well over an hour and with a pvc attatchment has recoverd several peoples boats with no issues. Also when at the lake if the tug isn't being used for a rescue my wife drives it all over the lake. Also it takes about 7 bucks to build the pvc rig with fun noodle included in the price:laugh:

fweasel
03-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Also when at the lake if the tug isn't being used for a rescue my wife drives it all over the lake. I let the kids at the lake who walk up to us run the tug. They get a kick out of it.

Newboater
03-20-2018, 02:27 PM
I let the kids at the lake who walk up to us run the tug. They get a kick out of it.

Lets be honest the tug makes RC boating fun reliable and relaxing. I have seen a few Fast electrics get thrown faster then they were moving :bash:

fweasel
03-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Lets be honest the tug makes RC boating fun reliable and relaxing. I have seen a few Fast electrics get thrown faster then they were moving :bash:

:laugh:

Andris Golts
03-21-2018, 12:57 AM
Hi all for retrieving my FE boats i built the electric Go for published around 1994 in RCBM bought the plan from Air age . The go-for is 36'' lg with a 26'' beam looks like a crude catamaran with the 2 seperate hulls joined together by 1/2 PVC pipe with no rudders but instead set-up using a seperate motor esc and battery for port and starboard my one friend who is the club recovery captain has no problem using this set-up to retrieve stalled or flipped boats but he is also an avid r/c tank modeler as for the rest of us it is a nightmare to get used to this set-up i tried for several years to get the hang off this set-up. Right now im in the process of building the Zippkits twin tugster along with a retrieval attachment to be connected to the 2 bow post this rig is made from 3/4'' PVC pipe covered in foam pipe insulation.Regards Andris Golts.

jake414
03-22-2018, 09:20 AM
What do you guys think about traxxas blast. Newer one i can get for 90 bucks?

Andris Golts
03-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Hi Jake not familiar with the boat but Traxxas are a good quality product . Regards Andris Golts.

dmitry100
04-25-2018, 10:11 PM
i'm not too crazy about my tug boat (the way it is) now that I ran it and saw how hard it is to bring in a decent sized from a distance... you could barely see what you are doing.
Though I have found it can unintentionally flip the boat back over with a blip on throttle. So perhaps making the bumpers extend downward more shaped like a plow to help it do just that

Towing using a floating line with a floating hook or tennis ball without having to push and maneuver the flipped boat back to shore will be the best way to go

Flipping the rescue tug is also a concern... So I'm thinking to add some pool noodle on the sides to keep it hold steady on the water.

gsbuickman
04-25-2018, 10:26 PM
I like to take two boats out with me and a spinning reel that way I can use either of the boats as a rescue boat. If I'm running a boat and something goes wrong and they get stranded out on the water I'll grab the second boat and snap the snap swivel that's on the end of the fishing line that's spun in the spinning reel to the back of the boat, then I'll send the second boat out and do a loop around the stranded boat and bring the second boat back to shore, then I'll step on the fishing line behind the boat and pick up the fishing pole and reel the line in bringing the stranded boat in with it that catches the hardware :biggrin: ...

NativePaul
04-26-2018, 05:59 AM
A pair of waders (worn under the lifejacket), we have a purpose built model boating lake that is this deep all over.158874

cb77
04-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Im using a KMB jet boat running on 4s and a pvc fork up front.

cb77
04-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Im using a KMB jet boat on 4s with a dynamite 36 series motor and a pvc fork type catching unit mounted on the front

zooma
04-26-2018, 09:09 AM

jake414
04-26-2018, 11:23 AM
158879That looks pretty simple to make.. how much?

zooma
04-26-2018, 04:31 PM
I guess about $20 for the 1/2" PVC pipe, tees & elbows, and noodles. But, I had a 15 size airplane outrunner motor, 3 cell batt & servo. I bought a Turnigy 40 amp ESC so I could have reverse. So, about $100 in the electronics.

b20btec
06-13-2018, 10:57 AM
I guess about $20 for the 1/2" PVC pipe, tees & elbows, and noodles. But, I had a 15 size airplane outrunner motor, 3 cell batt & servo. I bought a Turnigy 40 amp ESC so I could have reverse. So, about $100 in the electronics.

I'm planning on building a rescue boat, if you don't mind providing more information on your build. I'm not too familiar with outrunner setup and prop, just wondering what KV motor you bought and size of prop I should get.

NEDan
07-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Swamp Dawg air boat. $49 HK. It works ok now that I have a 3 blade prop.

Rezendes
07-10-2019, 02:35 PM
I use a highly modified Cajun Commander air boat for my rescues.

165766165767165768[/ATTACHp][ATTACH=CONFIG]165769165769

skeeler
06-24-2021, 09:51 AM
ProBoat has a new 30-inch tug that comes with recovery arms:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/horizon-harbor-30-inch-tug-boat--rtr/PRB08036.html?fbclid=IwAR0LRrVoXKGED0FjZyB9lNHL_dm uWs7wQ5LyJiba2xRN7Ue4D5Q7Zeq4w5A

emspjay
06-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Wow talk about over priced!

Panther6834
06-28-2021, 01:48 AM
ProBoat has a new 30-inch tug that comes with recovery arms:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/horizon-harbor-30-inch-tug-boat--rtr/PRB08036.html?fbclid=IwAR0LRrVoXKGED0FjZyB9lNHL_dm uWs7wQ5LyJiba2xRN7Ue4D5Q7Zeq4w5AI thought long & hard about this. I even almost "pulled the trigger". But, I think I've decided to stick with my current collection of 3 'part-time' rescue boats (ProBoat Shockwave w/ much lower kV motor & PVC tube rescue platform, TFL Jet Boat, and my just-acquired Tenshock Mini Eco), as all three can be used as 'rescue' boats, as well as for 'pure enjoyment'.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

TRUCKPULL
06-28-2021, 06:24 PM
Here is mine. :bounce:

LJ

Nick1979
07-02-2021, 10:09 PM
Air boat. DIY for around 150$.

boatsrnew2me
07-03-2021, 07:44 AM
traxxas blast with a pvc and noodle setup . went with the blast because it uses prop steer and steers better at low speeds then a boat with rudder steer . can also fit a 5000 mah lipo in there so plenty of rescue time . 173032

Nick1979
07-03-2021, 04:01 PM
That's a good looking setup! Question about the Traxxas Blast - does it have a reverse? I currently have the DIY air boat, and the Neptune cheap RC boat from Harbor Freight tools which has a custom PVC harness. One problem with the Naptune is that it has forward only, and no reverse!

boatsrnew2me
07-03-2021, 04:29 PM
no reverse .you can however change the esc on the blast to get reverse .i never found it necessary

Nick1979
07-03-2021, 04:52 PM
Thanks for that information. In my experience in a recovery boat reverse is a must. I have ended up on the shore and wasn't able to back up die to no reverse... Also, of the disabled boat is far away, where it's hard to see, scooping the disabled boat becomes a challenge. Having reverse helps. All of the above made me build an air boat, which has reverse.

Panther6834
07-03-2021, 04:58 PM
Also, if the disabled boat is far away, where it's hard to see, scooping the disabled boat becomes a challenge. Having reverse helps.
I'm definitely in agreement on a rescue boat needing reverse if it's using a review platform. Regarding rescuing a boat Russia "a distance", that's why I installed an FPV camera onto the canopy of my primary rescue boat, as well as a display monitor onto that boat's Tx.

UpliFT-RC
07-04-2021, 07:50 AM
Getting my revolt 30 here soon hopefully..
For the time being I'm going to use a fishing pole with a tennis ball, but eventually want a CHEAP recovery boat.

So this has brought me to the used cheap boat market and ebay.

this boat will ONLY be used as a recovery boat, doesn't have to be fast or anything. Looking for 2.4ghz (obviously) and atleast 5 minutes of run time.

this def isn't hobby grade : https://www.ebay.com/itm/PX-16-1-16-32-2-4G-RC-Speed-Boat-Storm-Engine-Radio-Remote-Control-Electric-Toy/132481064021?epid=902315781&hash=item1ed87c9c55:g:2B0AAOSwGHJaZ~aY
BUT it has a lipo battery and seems to be maybe a deans plug. and its fairly big?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Feilun-FT009-RC-Racing-Boat-2-4G-30km-h-High-Speed-With-Water-Cooling/192110320590?epid=12009789629&hash=item2cbaaadbce:g:YVgAAOSwWxNYq7ng
this also has a lipo.

My thinking is, these small lipos can be had very cheap so it would be easy to get more run time..

Thoughts?

I just got the new ProBoat BlackJack 42 and I was looking for a nice recovery boat.. After doing around a month or so of research, I decided to go with the -
Feilun FT011 65CM 2.4G Brushless RC Boat that is a water cooling system. Plus it has a pretty cool nose guard where I can hook on my recovery system that I have in mind...

Feilun FT011 Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm-NLq6gH-k

boatsrnew2me
07-04-2021, 08:15 AM
keep in mind that during a rescue you will be moving pretty slow most the time ......lining up the boat......pushing back to shore........the motor will not get much water cooling effect at those speeds .
thats one the reasons i went with a brushed motor boat . motors are bigger and can dissipate their own heat better and some have heatsinks .

most tugs are brushed motor or twin brushed motors for the same reason . just something to think about . you could add a water pump to pump cooling water thru the system at low speed .

zooma
07-04-2021, 09:00 AM
Using an outrunner airplane motor and SeaKing ESC without water cooling. Current is too low to matter.

Panther6834
07-25-2021, 05:19 AM
I'm about to take my ProBoat Shockwave "rescue" boat in a new direction, and looking for some thoughts on what I'm proposing. The 'plan' is to take it from "one of my 3 part time rescue boats" (the other two are a TFL Jet Boat, and a Tenshock Mini Eco), and torn it into "my only full time rescue boat" (this making the other two 100% "pleasure use").

Right now, I've got a dual-rudder, with the water line from one rudder cooling the motor, and the water line from the other rudder cooling the ESC. The ESC (which will remain) is a SeaKing 120A, the motor is a Leopard 3650 1350kv, and the prop is the stock 42mm plastic prop. The 'problem' has been keeping the motor & ESC cool, as the slower speed prevents the water pickups from pushing (pulling?) enough water through them lines. Remember that the stock motor is 2000kv.

So...here's what I'm looking to do. First up is to replace the 1350kv with a 1050kv motor. Next to install two 370-based water pumps, to keep water flowing through the system no matter the boat's speed (even when the boat is motionless). Third is too replace the stock plastic 42mm 1.4 pitch (or, if it 1.6?) prop with a larger diameter (and possibly lower pitch) prop. To start in I'll be testing the plastic Octura 1245, 1250, & 1450 2-blade 'chopper' props. I would have preferred to include some 3-blade props, but I couldn't find any plastic 'chopper' style props in the 42-46mm range. While I'll (probably) eventually go with a metal prop, I prefer testing using the plastic props, as they're a LOT lower on price.

For those who know boats better than I do, what are your thoughts...on the motor choice and/or my planned use of water pumps and/or my current prop choices? Obviously, the purpose isn't 'speed'...it's "go slow, but with a lot of torque". The dual-rudder setup allows turning equally well in both directions, even when pushing the rescue platform w/ rescued boat.

UpliFT-RC
07-25-2021, 08:14 AM
Here is an example of the recovery system that I will be creating for my
Feilun FT011 boat

Panther6834
08-03-2021, 12:02 AM
The latest "downgrades" to my Shockwave 'rescue boat' are complete. Installing the Leopard 4074 1050kv it Shockwave proved a little more difficult that expected. I had to take the trusty Dremel to the black (shiny) plastic piece that the mounting tray is attached to, sure to the larger motor diameter. Once that was complete, I moved into swapping the stock strut & flex cable with the OSE Cable System w/ 3/16" strut. After that, I installed the two 370-based water pumps (just in front of the transom). 'Home testing' was completed in my usual "testing facility", aka the bathtub.

As the 1040kv motor is, obviously, slower than the 1350kv motor I had tried using, and a LOT slower than the Shockwave's stock 2000kv motor, I knew I needed to go with a larger prop (stock, if I remember correctly, is either 39mm, or 41mm...honestly, I didn't measure it). I selected the OSE 3-blade 47mm...which, as some of you probably know, is a 'cleaver' style prop, and not really appropriate for what is now essentially a (fast looking) "tug". On top of that, with the dual-rudder, to 47mm turned out to be sightly larger than would fit (when the rudders are full-left, or full-right). So, out came my trusty Dremel (again). Not only did I make the prop smaller in diameter (44mm, having removed 1.5mm from each blade), but I also changed it from a 'cleaver' prop, to a 'chopper' prop.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210803/25a842d0e799ad7f0dbe061aedae0723.jpg
If all goes as I'm hoping it will, I will be doing a full-on "working" test tomorrow. Just hope I don't forget the temp gun (which I have forgotten in the past). If all goes well, I will consider my Shockwave as my permanent 'full-time' rescue boat. That's what I am...or, will be...using as my rescue boat from now on.

UpliFT-RC
08-04-2021, 05:57 AM
ProBoat BlackJack 42 Ripping Laps on 8s on a new #Dasboata Prop incl. Recovery Zipkit TugBoat for the rescue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ATYkj6lc0

ray schrauwen
08-04-2021, 12:46 PM
I dont take my boats to the biggest lakes in town but I always carry a light weight spinning fishing rod with a weighted Styrofoam bobber. Fingers crossed, Ive been able to get myself out of most pickles. I know its not a boat but it is one hell-of-a retriever!

What line weight do you use? Fishing rod is always a great go to if it's not too far out.

ray schrauwen
08-04-2021, 12:52 PM
Using an outrunner airplane motor and SeaKing ESC without water cooling. Current is too low to matter.

What timing would you recommend for a recovery boat like yours? I have a 600KV 5055 outrunner on 4S.

I just bought all the tubing yesterday and I have everything but pool foamies and a prop so far.

I'm looking forward to getting out and testing with less worry of boat loss.