PDA

View Full Version : Big RC boats

Flying Scotsman
11-30-2008, 12:49 PM
What power scheme would you use for these monsters :eek:
Douggie

calcagno45
11-30-2008, 12:54 PM
I wonder if everything is functional? I think you might need a 200 channel radio for that. Still COOL stuff!!!

Steven Vaccaro
11-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Very cool picture. Where did you find that?

When I first jumped on the net, sometime in the early 1990's, I found a site that had smaller battleships that actually shot at each other. The game was to stay afloat the longest.

Diegoboy
11-30-2008, 01:39 PM
This one is powered by an outboard motor, 15hp i believe.
Here's more (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/notag/man-finishes-30+feet-wwii-german-battleship-model-prepares-to-invade-poland-soon-303707.php)
Very cool!

Bill-SOCAL
11-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Very cool picture. Where did you find that?

When I first jumped on the net, sometime in the early 1990's, I found a site that had smaller battleships that actually shot at each other. The game was to stay afloat the longest.

http://www.modelwarshipcombat.com./

Jimmy Sterling
11-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Where did you get that photo from, those ships look a little farmiliar

Flying Scotsman
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
It was on the RC Groups boat forum.

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
12-01-2008, 02:33 PM
The detail is amazing on those two boats. I would think at a minimum, 5 years in the making. Scale boats are a labour of love. As a young kid, I was fascinated at the level of workmanship when I visited museums that had scale model boats in their maritime exhibition.

Douggie

Diegoboy
12-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm sure you're aware that the larger the scale, the easier to detail. Ex: fabricating the railings on a model ship, a Stanchion the diameter if a hyperdermic needle is much harder to work with than a Stanchion 1/8" in diameter.

Flying Scotsman
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Danny, not exactly true. The scale aspect remains the same. but you then have to figure in defaults in the building process of the original full scale boat.

Douggie

Jimmy Sterling
12-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm 99.9 % sure that those are the warships from our local club ( no racing mainly scale boats) here in Queensland.

The one on the right is the Yamato and the left one is the USS Missouri, I'll try to scratch up some of the photo's that I took of them

Jimmy Sterling
12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Here is a picture that I found on my pc, I've had the pleasure of driving the Missouri before :biggrin:

The detail on these boats is amazing, you see something new everytime you look. They also fire blank rounds at each other which is very cool to watch.

Diegoboy
12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Danny, not exactly true. The scale aspect remains the same. but you then have to figure in defaults in the building process of the original full scale boat.

Douggie

My comment still remains true. I was not referring to the building of the model, but rather the detailing of the model.
There are over 50 scale models in the elite fleet of virginia. We run the boats as well as display them at events. 100% of all members will stand behind my statement about the "detailing" I agree that building is easier when smaller scale.

Flying Scotsman
12-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Jimmy, I think Paddy in Tasmaniia would love these boats..no more ducks. Bye the bye, I love true scale boats, as they are very demanding to build.

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
12-01-2008, 06:52 PM
My comment still remains true. I was not referring to the building of the model, but rather the detailing of the model.
There are over 50 scale models in the elite fleet of virginia. We run the boats as well as display them at events. 100% of all members will stand behind my statement about the "detailing" I agree that building is easier when smaller scale.
Danny, I agree. as I run scale and sail boats, but large scale is difficult to produce effects, such as uneven and bad plate welding, as many small, not all. scale boats miss these details.

Douggie

Diegoboy
12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree, but the small scale models miss those details because it's so very hard, if not impossible to render that much detail in that small a model. It can only be done easily in larger scale models.

Jimmy Sterling
12-01-2008, 07:22 PM
What power scheme would you use for these monsters

Each ship is powered by four car batterys, two in series and two in parrallel. I think they are getting about 200AH or 200 000 Mah :eek:

There are also 4 electric scooter motors powering each ship, you should see the propellers, they are huge :bowdown:
I'll be sure to get more shots next time I see them run

:tiphat:

Flying Scotsman
12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
agree to agree :beerchug:

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
12-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Each ship is powered by four car batterys, two in series and two in parrallel. I think they are getting about 200AH or 200 000 Mah :eek:

There are also 4 electric scooter motors powering each ship, you should see the propellers, they are huge :bowdown:
I'll be sure to get more shots next time I see them run

:tiphat:
Only in Australia, congratulations to all on their build quality.

Dooggie

Diegoboy
12-02-2008, 08:47 AM
agree to agree :beerchug:

Douggie

That's what I'm talking about! :biggrin:

Diegoboy
12-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Sterlo,
Do you think you could hang around longer to get a pic of them fire the big(ger) guns?
My scale club has a sub that fires topredos and a scratch built tank that fires paint balls! I'd love to see the effect those models can produce.