PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglassing interior of an ABS hull

Old School
09-04-2017, 03:18 AM
As a newcomer to the hobby, I have been doing some research to determine what would be best to use. I have an older ABS 70 cm mono that I have removed the old stuffing tube skeg leaving an opening in the hull approximately 10 mm wide by 100 mm in length. I also would like to reinforce the transom and lower part of the inner surface of the hull.

As I am converting the hull from skeg drive to transom mounted surface drive, I feel that the transom will need beefing up plus keying it more securely to the hull inner surface. I also considered laminating very thin plywood between the transom inner face and the fibreglass/carbon fibre mat to further reinforce the transom. Now my research has returned that polyester resin will attack and distort the ABS plastic and epoxy will not securely adhere to the surface (bond strength too brittle for flexibility), I am left with the somewhat expensive West System G-flex 650 epoxy resin. The manufacturer's spiel states that it will bond to ABS and provide flexibility if the surface is sanded.

My surface preparation has involved 80-grit sanding of the surface. I am thinking of substituting woven and chopped strand fibreglass mat for carbon fibre strips, overlapping down the centre of the hull. Would this be a problem, please? Does carbon fibre require any special wetting out technique?

This is all new to me so any help is appreciated.

MadProps
09-04-2017, 04:34 AM
I just did this and I used plumbers ABS glue to glue the cloth to the ABS hull, with a fairly heavy wet coat of ABS glue....this dries similar to ca glue ...very thin which leaves the cloth still very porous. I then coated 2 coats of 2 part epoxy ( slow cure) to the cloth
the hull is now considerably stronger with some flex

Old School
09-04-2017, 04:55 AM
Many thanks. Alas, I believe that the country that I live in uses pvc for plumbing and the glue used is fine in tight plumbing joins but has little adherence to the plastic. A priming fluid is needed to enhance the bond and I know the priming fluid, predominantly acetone, is destructive on ABS.

MadProps
09-04-2017, 05:20 AM
try the process on some scrap abs plastic and see ...it works well for me

rol243
09-04-2017, 05:48 AM
the aussie plumbers glue for pipe joints sticks like you know what to a blanket. excellent glue for plastics.

Old School
09-04-2017, 06:00 AM
the aussie plumbers glue for pipe joints sticks like you know what to a blanket. excellent glue for plastics.

Is that the blue or green glue or the pink priming fluid, please?

rol243
09-04-2017, 04:40 PM
the normal Blue glue that plumbers use for all pipe joins. you put some on a piece of plastic and after 24 hours see if you can remove it.

Old School
09-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Many thanks.