PDA

View Full Version : Hatch tape

caminohill
09-01-2017, 10:49 PM
What type of tape is recommended for sealing the hatch that is easily removable and leaves minimal residue?
Thanks. Craig

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

rol243
09-01-2017, 10:56 PM
the best tape i have used is what the Hockey guys use as Shin Guard Tape. it leaves no residue atall even if left on for a week. Ebay sell it or Hockey supply stores.

caminohill
09-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Cool. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

R2315
09-02-2017, 07:51 AM
I find the best to be DYN DYNM0102 Dynamite Clear Flexible Marine Tape (18M), very flexible, water proof, no residue. The worst I tried was aquacraft that stuff is garbage.

martin
09-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Just use pvc electrical tape, its dirt cheap & sticks fine even when the boat flips. It dosnt leave any residue & dosnt tear the paint of the boat. You have to be careful with some waterproof tapes including hockey tape as it can tear the paint off where it sticks to good in some cases. I use to use hockey tape before I went to electrical tape.

fweasel
09-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Just use pvc electrical tape, its dirt cheap & sticks fine even when the boat flips. It dosnt leave any residue & dosnt tear the paint of the boat. You have to be careful with some waterproof tapes including hockey tape as it can tear the paint off where it sticks to good in some cases. I use to use hockey tape before I went to electrical tape.

Yup. I've switched as well. I buy the matching color for the hull too.

martin
09-02-2017, 06:38 PM
another bonus I find with pvc electrical tape is that you can stretch it around curves whilst still staying flat & stuck to the hull. With most waterproof clear tapes including hockey tape dosnt like going around curves.

Doby
09-02-2017, 10:30 PM
another bonus I find with pvc electrical tape is that you can stretch it around curves whilst still staying flat & stuck to the hull. With most waterproof clear tapes including hockey tape dosnt like going around curves.

Yup.its pretty much the best stuff overall.

rol243
09-02-2017, 10:34 PM
keep the electrical tape for the sparkies and use the hockey shin guard tape, you won,t go back to the sparkies tape again. think of whats under the lid.

Luck as a Constant
09-02-2017, 11:06 PM
yeah electrical tape just works so well. Hard to find anything better.

Bp9145
09-02-2017, 11:08 PM
electrical tape for me all the way. . .colors to match your boat is a bonus and as everyone mentioned does not peel paint off and also I'm able to use it 2 to 3 times before discarding them for some of my less demanding applications. You can get them in packs of 4, 5 rolls or more for further discounted prices. . .one note DON"T GET THEM FROM DOLLAR STORES as they don't stick on good enough and can come off easily

Doby
09-03-2017, 12:11 AM
agree with the dollar store brand comment above...I get mine at Home Depot....also, tape should NOT be the only thing holding your hatch on, you should have a mechanical means of securing it as well..tape is for waterproofing.

Fluid
09-03-2017, 10:03 AM
I've used both PVC and hockey tape. A problem with the former is poor adhesion at lower temperatures. The latter, well....its hockey tape.

martin
09-03-2017, 01:41 PM
A lot of people including myself started off using waterproof tape including hockey tape & ended up going to electrical tape. I certainly use electrical tape through choice between the other tapes mentioned.

martin
09-03-2017, 01:47 PM
I have lost count of the number that turn up with a nice paint job on their boats only to have waterproof/hockey tape ruin the paint when removing the tape.

rol243
09-03-2017, 04:52 PM
yes i must say the hockey tape does stick down well so if your paint job isn,t repaired properly , the tape can lift the paint. i suppose its not a bad idea to use the electical tape as there are quite a few different colours that can match you boat colour, i never thought it would stay stuck down as good as you guys say.

fweasel
09-03-2017, 06:24 PM
i never thought it would stay stuck down as good as you guys say.

I crashed today, skidding across the water on the lid at 80+ mph. My bright yellow electrical tape help up just fine, and that was it's second use on that boat.

rol243
09-03-2017, 11:33 PM
ok guys you have convinced me now. when i run out of the other tape i will go to the electrical tape.

Bp9145
09-04-2017, 02:22 AM
ok guys you have convinced me now. when i run out of the other tape i will go to the electrical tape.

What other tape? I thought you've been convinced to "go to the electrical tape"..you're going to wait until you run out of the "other tape" . .strong is the force of the dark side in you. .LOL. . .just busting your balls. .glad to hear you're going to the other side.

rol243
09-04-2017, 03:19 AM
What other tape? I thought you've been convinced to "go to the electrical tape"..you're going to wait until you run out of the "other tape" . .strong is the force of the dark side in you. .LOL. . .just busting your balls. .glad to hear you're going to the other side.the other tape is the Hockey Tape that i have a few rolls of. when these have been used up i will go sparkie tape.

Insanity Plea
09-04-2017, 06:12 AM
I didn't realize tape was such serious business, I'm still using the stuff sold in the ose store or from aeromarine with no issues... but I'm not sliding on my lid at 80mph

kfxguy
09-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Tape? So archaic lol

Luck as a Constant
09-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Tape? So archaic lol

to be fair, some guys still like running their boats that require tape. like the ul1. not much you can do to get around that hatch other than tape.

kfxguy
09-04-2017, 12:23 PM
to be fair, some guys still like running their boats that require tape. like the ul1. not much you can do to get around that hatch other than tape.

I know. Kidding. I do have two boats that I have no choice but to use tape. But I did try to figure out something else.

rol243
09-04-2017, 04:38 PM
a guy just lost his boat cause the lid wasn,t taped down , just clipped on. unfortunetly electronics and water just don,t make a match.

martin
09-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Some hatches are pretty easy to seal using a foam seal, unfortunately a lot are pretty much impossible to seal 100% due to design or shape of the hatch type.