PDA

View Full Version : Castel ESC PHOENIX EDGE LITE HV 160 AMP ESC, 12S / 50.4V

Tom G
08-30-2017, 04:02 PM
In my new FE 1/8 Scale Hydro build. I'm using a Neu 1527 1.5y 850 kv running 2ea 4s Lipo's 5000 Ma in series for 29.6 Vdc. (Note already have theses so I'm stuck with this spec.)
I'am open suggestions to any other reliable !!! ESC's the might work in these Spec's

Since most of the High voltage/ mah ESC's seam to be out of stock at this time. In OSE parts :doh:
Has anyone tried one these in a boat plus adding a water cooling jacket to it ,since its intended for aircraft use :scared:

There are 2 model's with and without cooling fan the lite is without a fan

PHOENIX EDGE LITE HV 160 AMP ESC, 12S / 50.4V, NO BEC
Telemetry Capable : Yes
ESC Current Rating : 160
Data Logging : Yes
Auxiliary Wire : Yes
Internal BEC : No
Minimum Input Voltage : 3S
Maximum Input Voltage : 12S

Fluid
08-30-2017, 04:18 PM
I have modified many older Castle ICE Lite controllers (the predecessor to the EDGE) by adding water cooling, and use them on 4S, 6S and 8S boats. The EDGE Lites handle up to 8S so they might work for you, but high voltage variant should work well too.

Tom G
08-30-2017, 04:29 PM
There rare some areas ware the $ is less in the long run. I like running larger then needed electronics as I hate it when the STINKY BLUE SMOKE COMES OUT and burns down Ur Boat cause the cost of the ESC is far less the a 2k boat and associated pars :tongue_smilie:

oscarel
08-30-2017, 05:04 PM
I have the same setup and am using a converted Phoenix Ice 200 ESC with no issues. The 160 should be plenty as most in your area are using the Seaking 130's without issues. Do you run with Bill Brandt?

Fluid
08-30-2017, 05:46 PM
There rare some areas ware the $ is less in the long run. I like running larger then needed electronics as I hate it when the STINKY BLUE SMOKE COMES OUT and burns down Ur Boat cause the cost of the ESC is far less the a 2k boat and associated pars :tongue_smilie:

I agree. For example, water cooling the ICE/EDGE Lite 200 raises the amp rating to ~240 amps (this from Castle). The ICE controllers I purchased were $150 on clearance, but even full-price EDGE controllers are a very good deal
IMO.

Tom G
08-30-2017, 05:47 PM
I have the same setup and am using a converted Phoenix Ice 200 ESC with no issues. The 160 should be plenty as most in your area are using the Seaking 130's without issues. Do you run with Bill Brandt?

TNX for the reply
I'm just moved back to the area so don't really Know anyone yet. Use to race 1/10 & 1/8 nitro from the 1960's till 2000.

Just getting back into it after 16 yr hiatus. Been looking at websites for couple of yrs toying with the idea of getting back in.

Then went to a local race at Twin lakes near Smoky Point (Arlington ) WA. A few months back AND THE BUG BITE ME HARD AGAIN I was suppressed how fast the 1/8 FE Hydro's are now.

I ordered a RCBoatCO. SG118h hull a couple of weeks ago (use to work on the Miss Bud T-2 & T-3 as part time crew member) so just starting to acquire all the parts and have all the stuff ordered except the ESC an some small stuff

Tom G
08-30-2017, 05:52 PM
I agree. For example, water cooling the ICE/EDGE Lite 200 raises the amp rating to ~240 amps (this from Castle). The ICE controllers I purchased were $150 on clearance, but even full-price EDGE controllers are a very good deal
IMO.

TNX fluid

oscarel
08-30-2017, 06:20 PM
IMO.

I agree as well. But looks like they may have finally sold out of the $150 Ice controllers. I have 2 spares for when I get done testing and blowing up the others :-).

TNX for the reply
I'm just moved back to the area so don't really Know anyone yet. Use to race 1/10 & 1/8 nitro from the 1960's till 2000.

Just getting back into it after 16 yr hiatus. Been looking at websites for couple of yrs toying with the idea of getting back in.

Then went to a local race at Twin lakes near Smoky Point (Arlington ) WA. A few months back AND THE BUG BITE ME HARD AGAIN I was suppressed how fast the 1/8 FE Hydro's are now.

I ordered a RCBoatCO. SG118h hull a couple of weeks ago (use to work on the Miss Bud T-2 & T-3 as part time crew member) so just starting to acquire all the parts and have all the stuff ordered except the ESC an some small stuff

Bill would have most of what you're looking for and the knowledge. He runs Rattlesnake RC https://www.allrc1.com/.

Tom G
08-30-2017, 08:12 PM
I agree as well. But looks like they may have finally sold out of the $150 Ice controllers. I have 2 spares for when I get done testing and blowing up the others :-).

Bill would have most of what you're looking for and the knowledge. He runs Rattlesnake RC https://www.allrc1.com/.

Tnx for putting on to him I actually ordered a couple of things from him that I did'nt find elsewhere